Rgoonen

How to fix ball skipping on the greens

Hello everyone! I played yesterday at a local country club of mine after about a month of not being able to play. I would have done pretty well if I didn't screw up with my putting around the greens and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to keep the ball from skipping on the greens. I shot 78 and I think I can easily knock off about 5-6 strokes with better roll. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not familiar with ball skipping. Are the greens wet? I understand that a ball might skid a tiny bit when struck but I think that's more to do with how you strike it. Better let one of our experts weigh-in on this. That's not me.

Hello everyone! I played yesterday at a local country club of mine after about a month of not being able to play. I would have done pretty well if I didn't screw up with my putting around the greens and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to keep the ball from skipping on the greens. I shot 78 and I think I can easily knock off about 5-6 strokes with better roll. Thanks!

My guess is you are striking the ball with a negative angle of attack. I would focus on hitting it on the upswing.

One way to do this is trying to hit it just a little thin to practice hitting it on the upswing and then going back to a normal strike.

• Like 3

Might be the loft of your putter as well. If you put your phone on video slo-mo a recording might help you to better understand what might be happening. Better yet if you post that same video on here you'll probably receive some pretty good feedback.

• Like 5

Might be the loft of your putter as well. If you put your phone on video slo-mo a recording might help you to better understand what might be happening. Better yet if you post that same video on here you'll probably receive some pretty good feedback.

An alternative would be to use the Ping iPhone app. While not a visual recording it does capture: closing angle, impact angle, tempo , lie angle, and shaft lean

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

You're most likely either delofting the club too much or have the ball to far back in your stance. Hard to tell for sure without video.

Sounds like a putter fitting is needed!

That was my thought as well.  Hard to say; could be a number of things.  However, it's difficult to understand how a 4 cap could not tell what's happening with his putting stroke.  Also, gaining 5-6 shots on a 78 with the putter seems improbable after a month layoff.  I think more information is needed.

• Like 2

Are you using a new putter? Or same one you've used for years?

Seems odd you're just now experiencing the problem, given all other things are the same?

New stance? New ball?

What has changed since one month and one week ago?

• Like 1

Sounds like a putting intervention is required here.......

• Like 5

My guess is too much of a forward press/de-lofting the putter. I went through a putter 'fitting' which was really just analyzing my stroke on the GC Quad and it showed at impact that my effective putter loft was around 1.2* and a putter with a loft of 4.5* was needed to correct it. However, how much a ball skids on the green determines how much break the ball will take on the putt. Having a consistent skidding distance is key for a consistent roll out on a putter. If the ball skids for the first 14" and then starts to roll, the ball will go on a straighter line than a putter that produces a skid of only 10". Make sense? If the ball is getting airborne just after impact while it skids, you might want to check your angle of attack. 

• Like 2

That was my thought as well. Hard to say; could be a number of things. However, it's difficult to understand how a 4 cap could not tell what's happening with his putting stroke. Also, gaining 5-6 shots on a 78 with the putter seems improbable after a month layoff. I think more information is needed.

I've started using a new putter and a new style of putter. I know how to fix a lot of things by myself but I'm just asking if anybody had any advice for top rotation. Putting isn't my forte, iron play is.

• Like 1

I had that issue at the end of last year. Only figured it out because I played when there was dew on the greens and you could see the areas it was getting airborne, mostly the first half of each putt.. A fitting at Club Champion showed that I needed to take 3.7 degrees of loft off of my putter for the correct roll. It's been unbelievably good since then. Much better than trying to change an already ingrained putting stroke.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Are you using a new putter? Or same one you've used for years?

Seems odd you're just now experiencing the problem, given all other things are the same?

New stance? New ball?

What has changed since one month and one week ago?

I normally use a Taylormade Spider but have recently switched to a Bettinardi QB#6 and I have also changed my grip from a Pistol GT 2.0 to a 3.0. With my Spider I naturally had a decent roll but I wasn't feeling the putter like I used to so I changed.

Thanks Ping, for the excellent videos. BTW, did you notice that the instructor in the video insert was wearing a UK sweater? Go Big Blue! Also noticed they used an EVNRoll mallet putter.....Love my ER6.

• Like 1

I used to have difficulty with the ball skidding/skipping at impact until I saw a video by Michael Breed. It really helped me get the ball rolling much faster and you get a much longer roll out through inertia. The first time you witness the ball keep rolling long after it should have stopped is when you know you've got it.

There are only 2 things you need to do to reduce the skipping.

Hit the ball on the down swing, not on the upswing

Your impact on the ball should be just above the equator/mid-point of the ball

I used to have difficulty with the ball skidding/skipping at impact until I saw a video by Michael Breed. It really helped me get the ball rolling much faster and you get a much longer roll out through inertia. The first time you witness the ball keep rolling long after it should have stopped is when you know you've got it.

Uhhhhh.....

Something doesn't seem right here. 

Mmm, I don't think so, at least not for most people, if it works for you, great, but that is not what I would recommend to anyone else.

Hitting on the downswing drastically increases pop up tendency. It hits the ball into the ground, and based on Newton's third law of motion, if there is a force pushing the ball down, the opposite force will push the ball up.

Impact just above the equator will help you to hit on the upswing and does help roll a little bit.

• Like 4