Jump to content

Arm Lock Putting Should Be Illegal


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, LICC said:

I don't see any part of his right hand pressed against his left arm in that picture. There clearly is daylight between. You don't have any support for your difference of opinion with Brad Faxon from this picture.

 

06A03BEA-1EDC-444E-9293-90E46187D066.png

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay,  I'll bite.    Everyone has opinions on this and that is fine.   You may not like armlock,  but it isn't cheating and you may want to make it illegal. The rules are about anchoring the end

Sorry you don't think my opinions have an substance.    If you can say that armlock is anchoring, I can say that using different grips gives players competitive advantage and improves their performanc

unless a handful of guys who switch to armlock star tearing though rounds with 20 putts, this seems like an awful lot of wasted energy and key strokes 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

Thanks for verifying why your here. Confrontation and complaining!

You can accept denigrating the essence of the game if you want. I don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

 

06A03BEA-1EDC-444E-9293-90E46187D066.png

Yes, the right hand is not pressed against his left arm, no matter how close you zoom in. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LICC said:

Yes, the right hand is not pressed against his left arm, no matter how close you zoom in. Thank you.

that’s fingers of his right hand in contact with the left arm. are we looking at the same picture?

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

that’s fingers of his right hand in contact with the left arm. are we looking at the same picture?

You can only see two fingers on his right hand in that picture. His thumb and index finger. Neither are touching his left arm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure looks like another finger in contact to me!2EACE865-9185-44AD-BDE2-51DC6BB380D5.jpeg.f9e2bc50d5bb16cd05b787bb18be6c17.jpeg

  • Like 1

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LICC said:

You can only see two fingers on his right hand in that picture. His thumb and index finger. Neither are touching his left arm. 

you can see either his middle or ring on the opposite side of the grip pressed against his left arm.

but a lot like everyone else’s perspective, you’re just choosing to ignore it 

  • Like 2

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LICC said:

You can accept denigrating the essence of the game if you want. I don't.

I’m sorry but just because you are on a fictional high horse doesn’t mean you get to DEFINE what the spirit or essence of the game is.  
 

 

  • Like 2

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LICC said:

I don't see any part of his right hand pressed against his left arm in that picture. There clearly is daylight between. You don't have any support for your difference of opinion with Brad Faxon from this picture.

How about this one:

billy-horschel-makes-a-fashion-statement

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

you can see either his middle or ring on the opposite side of the grip pressed against his left arm.

but a lot like everyone else’s perspective, you’re just choosing to ignore it 

Or you just see what you want to see. Confirmation bias. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LICC said:

Or you just see what you want to see. Confirmation bias. 

three people see what i see. it’s been zoomed in on and circled for your convenience. you’re the only one who doesn’t see his finger touching his left arm. 

  • Like 3

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

How about this one:

billy-horschel-makes-a-fashion-statement

☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝
F7ECC685-74CB-447B-A27D-F8DD1844B23A.gif.063e13c012d34e8642e557547c8e1845.gif

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

three people see what i see. it’s been zoomed in on and circled for your convenience. you’re the only one who doesn’t see his finger touching his left arm. 

What point are you trying to make? His fingers are wrapped around the club grip. His left hand is low. He is not bracing the club against his forearm. He is not armlocking - the technique that should be disallowed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

I’m sorry but just because you are on a fictional high horse doesn’t mean you get to DEFINE what the spirit or essence of the game is.  
 

 

Faxon doesn’t quite see things this way. He believes it goes against the spirit of the game.

“That is not swinging the golf club,” he said. “I don’t think that our founding forefathers of this game thought that you should be able to do that at all.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LICC said:

Faxon doesn’t quite see things this way. He believes it goes against the spirit of the game.

“That is not swinging the golf club,” he said. “I don’t think that our founding forefathers of this game thought that you should be able to do that at all.”

Oh boy Faxon feels the same way as you so I guess I was wrong. 🤦🏻‍♂️

  • Like 1

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LICC said:

What point are you trying to make? His fingers are wrapped around the club grip. His left hand is low. He is not bracing the club against his forearm. He is not armlocking - the technique that should be disallowed. 

He IS bracing it against his left wrist, lower forearm and is also making the same shoulder rocking swing as the others. That makes it the same stroke!

  • Like 1

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LICC said:

What point are you trying to make? His fingers are wrapped around the club grip. His left hand is low. He is not bracing the club against his forearm. He is not armlocking - the technique that should be disallowed. 

He is bracing his right hand against his wrist;  or as we are calling it anchoring.  Its purpose is to stop the putter from rotating;  he is anchoring the putter to his wrist.   I think Spieth's grip is illegal too;  when he forward presses his fingers are braced against is wrist.   And I don't think the golf founding forefathers ever considered left hand low as a possible grip.  

Brad Faxon isn't going to change my opinion.  I am fine with the grip;  the end of club can freely move and isn't pressed against his arm;  it doesn't prevent his wrist from breaking down, and it doesn't prevent his arms from rotating. 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Oh boy Faxon feels the same way as you so I guess I was wrong. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Fred Couples says that armlock putting is anchoring and he cannot believe it is legal.

The 1992 Masters champion was a belly putter user himself before anchoring was outlawed by the R&A and USGA in 2016.

We asked him if there were any rules that he would change and he was firm in his disdain for the armlock method, saying that golf’s governing bodies “really missed the boat”.

“Well, so I was a belly putter and I honestly think they really missed the boat when they went from anchoring to letting people go a little bit like that [armlock] and just letting the putter swing,” Couples told Golf Monthly.

“And if that’s not anchoring, I don’t know what is, how is that not anchoring?”

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

He is bracing his right hand against his wrist;  or as we are calling it anchoring.  Its purpose is to stop the putter from rotating;  he is anchoring the putter to his wrist.   I think Spieth's grip is illegal too;  when he forward presses his fingers are braced against is wrist.   And I don't think the golf founding forefathers ever considered left hand low as a possible grip.  

Brad Faxon isn't going to change my opinion.  I am fine with the grip;  the end of club can freely move and isn't pressed against his arm;  it doesn't prevent his wrist from breaking down, and it doesn't prevent his arms from rotating. 

Nope:  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LICC said:

Fred Couples says that armlock putting is anchoring and he cannot believe it is legal.

The 1992 Masters champion was a belly putter user himself before anchoring was outlawed by the R&A and USGA in 2016.

We asked him if there were any rules that he would change and he was firm in his disdain for the armlock method, saying that golf’s governing bodies “really missed the boat”.

“Well, so I was a belly putter and I honestly think they really missed the boat when they went from anchoring to letting people go a little bit like that [armlock] and just letting the putter swing,” Couples told Golf Monthly.

“And if that’s not anchoring, I don’t know what is, how is that not anchoring?”

It is not anchoring because the rules say it is not anchoring.  Providing player names that don't like it won't change peoples minds.  We could get into politics and quote what they think is right and wrong but that doesn't mean things change. 

  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...