Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

!!!Shaft Experts Wanted!!!

Abthompson07

I’m a weekend warrior golfer and have been playing steel stiff shafted TM burner irons for forever. I recently switched to some Callaway rogue pro with recoil graphite regular flex shafts and it has thoroughly changed my golf game.

When I was younger I just tried to kill the ball every swing and the resulting club head speed did better with the stiffness but I’ve decidedly slowed the swing in hopes of a more consistent result and the regular flex irons showed great improvement from it. For many reasons to long winded to go into I’m wondering if my driver should show the same benefits. 

I’ve heard time and time again that there is no standardization among shaft companies for stiffness. I currently game the red and grey schemed (I think 2016) TM M1 driver with an Aldila Rogue Stiff flex shaft. I feel like with my new nice and easy approach my swing speed is down below 100 but still above 90. Any equipment junkies have any ideas for a new, slightly less stiff, shaft to try. I’d like to get my driving straightened out before I go spend the big money on an all new driver. 

Edited by Abthompson07

Forget about swing speed as a determining factor and forget about flex as you mentioned there’s no standardization.

The weight and shaft profile will be where the focus should be.

If you have an M1 it’s either 2016 or 2017 but that’s neither here or there. Assuming you have the Aldila rogue silver 110 60g shaft.

What is your current ball flight? Low,med, high?  What does it do when it hits the apex? Float and then just drop out of the sky, somewhat knuckle and drop or somewhat penetrating?

What is your miss?

What do you like and not like about the current shaft?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

With my old swing it was a medium flight and I would occasionally turn it over correctly with a draw and it would come out of the sky and roll a good ways. With the new swing it seems to float more and then more of a drop and stop. So higher flight which I’m not in love with I liked the medium flight a little better  

New swing almost always has a small cut shape when struck true and the big miss is a true slice that is nowhere near the killer slice I had with the old swing. 

I don’t know enough about the differences in shafts to say what I like/don’t like other than I don’t feel like I get any sort of flex in the shaft during the swing. In other words during contact it doesn’t feel like a 2x4 I get plenty of feedback but during the downswing it feels like it’s just one stiff straight board. 

Edited by Abthompson07
Change in opinion

Based on the description of changes in ball flight you may have a little bit of and out to in swing with some amount of downward angle of attack.

Based on your want for the feel in the downswing you are probably looking for something with higher torque. The rogue shaft is 3.5. Anything in 4-5.5 would be what would give you that feeling.

Something in the upper 50 to 63/64g would probably work best for you. Nobody here could say what shaft would work for you but some options are

UST helium/helium black

Project X riptide, riptide cb, hzrdus smoke rdx blue

Mitusbuish ck orange or blue or ck pro orange or blue. Possibly the av blue

Fujikura motore x f3, find a Ventus blue non velocore 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Oh yea definitely an out to in struggle with the big stick. I actually play a bit of a draw with these new irons so I was hoping there would be a similar transition if I went down on the driver too but I knew it was much more complex than that. Maybe some more flex (or torque so it seems) will allow the club head to stay inside more until my hands clear out. Thank you for the feedback that was exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get in response. With a few recommendations to boot. It gives me a place to start and I truly appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, Abthompson07 said:

One more question for you. If the torque, the 3.4, on the shaft is how much bend it has in the downswing what purpose does the 110 and 60 value serve? For personal knowledge.

15623653-AD6E-4666-AEAE-2B804D9AAA7E.jpeg

Torque is related to the twisting of the shaft at impact but designers use it for the feel. The lower the number the stiffer the feel and less twisting.

The 110 is the msi (million pounds per squar inch)

The 60 is for the weight class. That shaft iirc is 63g uncut. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I ended up finding a Tensei Orange 60 in regular flex on Facebook marketplace for a good price. Still testing it out. I plan on trying a few though. Should probably just bite the bullet and get fitted haha

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:51 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on the description of changes in ball flight you may have a little bit of and out to in swing with some amount of downward angle of attack.

Based on your want for the feel in the downswing you are probably looking for something with higher torque. The rogue shaft is 3.5. Anything in 4-5.5 would be what would give you that feeling.

Something in the upper 50 to 63/64g would probably work best for you. Nobody here could say what shaft would work for you but some options are

UST helium/helium black

Project X riptide, riptide cb, hzrdus smoke rdx blue

Mitusbuish ck orange or blue or ck pro orange or blue. Possibly the av blue

Fujikura motore x f3, find a Ventus blue non velocore 

This guy right here. I ended up going with the Mitsubishi as I said early and have loved it on the course. Went to a place in town that has indoor Trackman setups and the pro there was watching me hit and asked where I got fitted for the shaft because the numbers were so dialed in. I know I’ve already said it multiple times but thank you for the information again. I had no idea the “torque” stat existed and it was exactly the thing I was hung up on. 

16 minutes ago, Abthompson07 said:

This guy right here. I ended up going with the Mitsubishi as I said early and have loved it on the course. Went to a place in town that has indoor Trackman setups and the pro there was watching me hit and asked where I got fitted for the shaft because the numbers were so dialed in. I know I’ve already said it multiple times but thank you for the information again. I had no idea the “torque” stat existed and it was exactly the thing I was hung up on. 

That’s awesome. Glad you got something that’s working.