$2000 Golf simulator

A_Thor

How are you defining si,ulator?   Are you including projector, net, mat, launch monitor, etc in your budget?   How much space do you have?   How lifelike do,you want the simulation?  Is recurring subscription for courses an issue?    Current best options are skytrack and mevo+.   Potential good options are R10 and the new Bushnell,  but since they haven’t been released they are a bit of an unknown.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Two month old thread, but, I'll take a stab at it just because I've been thinking of a similar project.  

Garmin Approach r10 599.00
Carls Place 8' x 8' x 5' DIY enclosure w/preferred screen 675.00
1" EMT for above 180.00
BenQ TH671ST projector 699.00
Perfect Reaction 4' x 5' hitting mat 235.00

8' x 8' might seem strange but this would occupy 1/2 of a two car garage.  Ceilings are about 11' but there's some shelves above where the enclosure would sit that would limit it's max height.

Any thoughts?

Edited by rsmallenberg
Thoughts about size weren't clear in original.

:titelist-small: TSi2 10
:titelist-small: TSi2 FW 15
:titelist-small: TSi2 H 18, 24
:titelist-small: T300 6-PW
:taylormade-small: MG3 50, 56, 60
:odyssey-small: OG 1
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact (brilliant red since the eyes aren't what they used to be)

Since the OP only had one post joined in August and hasn't visited since later in the same month I'm sure this is dead. At least from his stand point. However still a good topic to discuss.

I'm a bargain hunter. I look for ebay auctions to end at off hours. So even though the OP wanted to see the ball data not the bottom of the club I have a fix for that with my system. First consider how much time you are going to spend on the simulator versus actual playing out on a course. For me it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 months. So why would I invest thousands? Remember all this was ebay auction new closing at off hours unless noted. I just set an alarm.

Optishot 2 is my sim system $250

Projector $200 off brand but specs were same as BenQ. 

Projector ceiling mount $15.00

Cage frame PVC pieces from Lowes. $25

Netting from a commercial fish net manufacturer $60

Bungie cords $7.00 Walmart camping section.

Canvas painters drop cloth $15 from Lowes  This hangs against the net and inside the cage (Deadens impact and bounce back)

King size white sheet from Walmart. $10.00  (my simulator screen)

Black out material to go on the outside of the cage. $10.00 Lowes weed block fabric. 

Mevo This is where I can see ball data. I got this for free in a golf tournament.  (Value $500)

Computer to run the sim. I got this for free as well. My company gives away their old engineering computers when we change out every four years. Just had to purchase a hard drive. $25.00 I currently have a small line going across the screen from I think the graphics card because movies play fine. Who knows but I already have another free computer ready to take it's place. 

Stance platform, wood frame free. I had a bunch of 2x4's and plywood laying around. Indoor outdoor carpet from Lowes $20.00

Foam gym floor mat for under the carpet on the hitting mat. $15.00

So I was all in at under $750.00 and since I am handy it just took a little time to build the frame and platform. 

Simulator.jpg.ff1408e154a8c696e4f73600a94930d0.jpg

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

22 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Since the OP only had one post joined in August and hasn't visited since later in the same month I'm sure this is dead. At least from his stand point. However still a good topic to discuss.

I'm a bargain hunter. I look for ebay auctions to end at off hours. So even though the OP wanted to see the ball data not the bottom of the club I have a fix for that with my system. First consider how much time you are going to spend on the simulator versus actual playing out on a course. For me it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 months. So why would I invest thousands? Remember all this was ebay auction new closing at off hours unless noted. I just set an alarm.

Optishot 2 is my sim system $250

Projector $200 off brand but specs were same as BenQ. 

Projector ceiling mount $15.00

Cage frame PVC pieces from Lowes. $25

Netting from a commercial fish net manufacturer $60

Bungie cords $7.00 Walmart camping section.

Canvas painters drop cloth $15 from Lowes  This hangs against the net and inside the cage (Deadens impact and bounce back)

King size white sheet from Walmart. $10.00  (my simulator screen)

Black out material to go on the outside of the cage. $10.00 Lowes weed block fabric. 

Mevo This is where I can see ball data. I got this for free in a golf tournament.  (Value $500)

Computer to run the sim. I got this for free as well. My company gives away their old engineering computers when we change out every four years. Just had to purchase a hard drive. $25.00 I currently have a small line going across the screen from I think the graphics card because movies play fine. Who knows but I already have another free computer ready to take it's place. 

Stance platform, wood frame free. I had a bunch of 2x4's and plywood laying around. Indoor outdoor carpet from Lowes $20.00

Foam gym floor mat for under the carpet on the hitting mat. $15.00

So I was all in at under $750.00 and since I am handy it just took a little time to build the frame and platform. 

Simulator.jpg.ff1408e154a8c696e4f73600a94930d0.jpg

Now this is a DIY LM studio that Red Green himself would applaud; nicely done Tom and thanks for the details 👏.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

@Tom the Golf Nut So you have the net then then the sheet then the canvas drop cloth, or a different order? 

That PVC will cost a bit more these days....been shopping for plumbing supplies for the garage apartment and OMG - 10' stick of 3" is $29  😱 ....  fittings are just as crazy !!!

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

9 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

@Tom the Golf Nut So you have the net then then the sheet then the canvas drop cloth, or a different order? 

That PVC will cost a bit more these days....been shopping for plumbing supplies for the garage apartment and OMG - 10' stick of 3" is $29  😱 ....  fittings are just as crazy !!!

I have the net, then the canvas drop cloth, then the sheet for the projector to send a good image to. The canvas drop cloth is an off white so the image was dull against it. I have a garage door with windows about a foot behind the net. So the net is tight and I would get to much bounce back. The drop cloth fixed it. Best part is if the sheet gets dirty,  just toss it in the wash.

I used 1" PVC with fittings. I had some of the PVC connectors laying around the work shop. I think I only needed to purchase 3 sticks because I had a couple.

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"