Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

8 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

I have been doing some research on other shafts that may fit the bill.  While these are a tad heavier, they just might work.  I suspect low torque matters.  (The MP5 L-flex is at 50g and 4.6TQ, and the PLB A-flex is at 44g and 5.0 TQ btw).  Has anyone tried these?

Ventus Blue TR 50 - R2 flex, 56g, 3.7TQ, mid launch, stiff tip

ProForce V2 55 -- A flex, 56g, 3.7TQ, mid launch, medium tip

The Ventus is spendy, of course.  ProForce not so much.

Thoughts or experiences with these?

No but the Pro Force was on my initial list of potential candidates. I just never got there after the PLB was such a success. 

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Maltby MPF Pro UL on the way. It's 47g, 5.5 tq, and I opted for the R flex with the slightly lower torque than the A. I don't plan to tip it at all and will build it to 45" and D3 SW. I reached out to Golfworks and they said that the MPF UL shaft frequency matches very closely to the PLB 45g and while the torque is a little higher, they have a stiffer tip section to help keep spin down while launching the ball.. for $39 it sounds interesting enough to try out. If it doesn't work I'll plug it into my 3 wood. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

No but the Pro Force was on my initial list of potential candidates. I just never got there after the PLB was such a success. 

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Maltby MPF Pro UL on the way. It's 47g, 5.5 tq, and I opted for the R flex with the slightly lower torque than the A. I don't plan to tip it at all and will build it to 45" and D3 SW. I reached out to Golfworks and they said that the MPF UL shaft frequency matches very closely to the PLB 45g and while the torque is a little higher, they have a stiffer tip section to help keep spin down while launching the ball.. for $39 it sounds interesting enough to try out. If it doesn't work I'll plug it into my 3 wood. 

Curious to hear how it goes, @azstu324.  I tried the MPF in L flex, and it's not stable enough for me.  I should try it again and slow waaayyyy down I guess.  Maybe I will tip trim it for fun.  Plz let us know how the R flex is for you!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

18 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Curious to hear how it goes, @azstu324.  I tried the MPF in L flex, and it's not stable enough for me.  I should try it again and slow waaayyyy down I guess.  Maybe I will tip trim it for fun.  Plz let us know how the R flex is for you!

Oh I will for sure. I'm not really expecting anything better than the PLB but I do know that the standard version of these shafts is very good and stable. On top of that they just look really good with the flat black so I'm hoping that it will at least be somewhat comparable. Like I said if it doesn't work in my driver I've got a three wood that definitely needs a shaft.

I really do regret not pulling the trigger on the MP5 when it was on sale.. or available. I've heard nothing but great things from those who've bought it. 

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, Vernon said:

Been considering springing for the Accra M0 that seems to be gaining a following as well but so far haven't been able to justify spending $225 when the Pro Launch and MP5 work so well at less than a third of that.

I am also intrigued by the Accra.  $225 is not too bad relative to other shafts, but I think we have been somewhat spoiled by the less expensive OP shafts many of us have had success with.  Those raving about the tight dispersion with the Accra certainly have my attention . . ..

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

@IndyBonzoyou had asked for me to post my experience with the Maltby MPF UL shaft.. so here goes..

I'm sure I could have probably gone with a PLB R flex but I just think this combo looks murderous! 

Before I stumbled into this experiment, I had always teetered between firm stiff and soft XS (depending on the brand/model/my swing). Recently I've been considering maybe doing some speed training as I've also been on a weight loss journey and am beginning to implement some weight and anaerobic training into my daily routine. My PLB A flex is still completely killing it and I've easily maintained a cruising SS of around 110 MPH. When I really step on it I can get to 114-116 but that's definitely not a sustainable or controllable speed for me. My goal is to get to a 114 MPH cruising speed that's completely controllable and have 116-118 in the chamber of I need to show off 😬

Getting to the shaft.. this thing is EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. It's an XS OP! It's definitely more firm than the PLB A flex. That said it is just so incredibly stable but doesn't feel at all like a broomstick. Loads very smoothly and releases just how I'd imagine a XS version of an OP to release. Ball flight is PERFECT! I've maintained a similar setup with my new PXG Gen6 XF at a 9° head cranked down to 7.5°, playing at 45", and at D4 SW! I didn't realize until I went to swing weight it that one of the weights is 12.5g and not 7.5. I'll be getting a 10g weight to help knock off 1 SW pt and compare further. While this shaft doesn't launch quite as high as the PLB, it still launches! And it goes! The feel really reminds me of when I started with a PX Evenflow 5.0. it was a great shaft but the only thing I didn't love about it was that it was counterbalanced just enough to make the head feel too light. Great for some.. but not for me. The MPF UL feels very similar but without a CB and it still performs perfectly stable at D4 and that's amazing!

I say that if you're a higher SS hitter and are curious about this experiment, you have to try this shaft! It's incredibly good! And at $40 and extremely available, it's a no-brainer! 

20231212_152844.jpg.d3cc1fd13f3667bbefec6ceb24080426.jpg

20231212_152937.jpg.fd7422626cdc0734f3837260a6866cbb.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

@IndyBonzoyou had asked for me to post my experience with the Maltby MPF UL shaft.. so here goes..

I'm sure I could have probably gone with a PLB R flex but I just think this combo looks murderous! 

Before I stumbled into this experiment, I had always teetered between firm stiff and soft XS (depending on the brand/model/my swing). Recently I've been considering maybe doing some speed training as I've also been on a weight loss journey and am beginning to implement some weight and anaerobic training into my daily routine. My PLB A flex is still completely killing it and I've easily maintained a cruising SS of around 110 MPH. When I really step on it I can get to 114-116 but that's definitely not a sustainable or controllable speed for me. My goal is to get to a 114 MPH cruising speed that's completely controllable and have 116-118 in the chamber of I need to show off 😬

Getting to the shaft.. this thing is EXACTLY what I hoped it would be. It's an XS OP! It's definitely more firm than the PLB A flex. That said it is just so incredibly stable but doesn't feel at all like a broomstick. Loads very smoothly and releases just how I'd imagine a XS version of an OP to release. Ball flight is PERFECT! I've maintained a similar setup with my new PXG Gen6 XF at a 9° head cranked down to 7.5°, playing at 45", and at D4 SW! I didn't realize until I went to swing weight it that one of the weights is 12.5g and not 7.5. I'll be getting a 10g weight to help knock off 1 SW pt and compare further. While this shaft doesn't launch quite as high as the PLB, it still launches! And it goes! The feel really reminds me of when I started with a PX Evenflow 5.0. it was a great shaft but the only thing I didn't love about it was that it was counterbalanced just enough to make the head feel too light. Great for some.. but not for me. The MPF UL feels very similar but without a CB and it still performs perfectly stable at D4 and that's amazing!

I say that if you're a higher SS hitter and are curious about this experiment, you have to try this shaft! It's incredibly good! And at $40 and extremely available, it's a no-brainer! 

Great info.  I have been following this thread and really want to try this out. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Love this, @azstu324!  So glad you tried and reported this to us.

That said - darn you!  Now I have to tinker more myself.  The L flex in this shaft was too whippy for me, but with your recommendation . . . off I go for the R flex!

Thank you!

On 12/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, IndyBonzo said:

I have been doing some research on other shafts that may fit the bill.  While these are a tad heavier, they just might work.  I suspect low torque matters.  (The MP5 L-flex is at 50g and 4.6TQ, and the PLB A-flex is at 44g and 5.0 TQ btw).  Has anyone tried these?

Ventus Blue TR 50 - R2 flex, 56g, 3.7TQ, mid launch, stiff tip

ProForce V2 55 -- A flex, 56g, 3.7TQ, mid launch, medium tip

The Ventus is spendy, of course.  ProForce not so much.

Thoughts or experiences with these?

I keep considering the tm ventus reds in the sale section of golfworks. A 50g r is supposed to be around 4.3 tq. I may pick one up for Christmas.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex Maltby MPF UL or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Callaway Chrome Tour

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Well, I think I will be picking one of these up to try in the ping.

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Great to hear. I've been thinking of trying the MPF UL as well. My swing speed is around 90 mph. The PLB and MP5 are both lower Tq and they feel good to me but pretty whippy. I should probably get the L flex in the MPF if you're at 110+ ss but it is sold out so I guess I'll try the A flex.

8 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Great to hear. I've been thinking of trying the MPF UL as well. My swing speed is around 90 mph. The PLB and MP5 are both lower Tq and they feel good to me but pretty whippy. I should probably get the L flex in the MPF if you're at 110+ ss but it is sold out so I guess I'll try the A flex.

Hey @rlb4 I have the MPF in L flex that I don't use.  It's only been gamed once or twice.  If you want it, DM me and I will make you a great deal.  I will have my PGATSS remove the adapter; with the Callaway adapter it is playing at just under 45" I believe.

Anyway, I am trying to decide which OP shaft I want to ask FABWIFE for for Christmas - an ACCRA FX 3.0, Ventus Blue, ProForce V2, or the MPF in R flex.   I know which one my wallet prefers . . .

28 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Hey @rlb4 I have the MPF in L flex that I don't use.  It's only been gamed once or twice.  If you want it, DM me and I will make you a great deal.  I will have my PGATSS remove the adapter; with the Callaway adapter it is playing at just under 45" I believe.

Anyway, I am trying to decide which OP shaft I want to ask FABWIFE for for Christmas - an ACCRA FX 3.0, Ventus Blue, ProForce V2, or the MPF in R flex.   I know which one my wallet prefers . . .

Thanks for the offer. I have both the MP5 and PLB in L flexes. Just looking to tinker some more with the MPF.

Anyone tried the Project X EvenFlow Green 45? Or know what the specs actually are?  I have searched and for whatever reason haven't found them.

44 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Anyone tried the Project X EvenFlow Green 45? Or know what the specs actually are?  I have searched and for whatever reason haven't found them.

It was a made for Callaway shaft. Typically px doesn’t list specs for made for. Unless Callaway preowned has specs for it on a club you won’t find much. But is designed to be a softer version of the blue from what I recall

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It was a made for Callaway shaft. Typically px doesn’t list specs for made for. Unless Callaway preowned has specs for it on a club you won’t find much. But is designed to be a softer version of the blue from what I recall

Appreciate it!

OK, so . . . I happily stumbled into a nice deal on the Accra shaft via another forum.  That settles the Christmas question I suppose.

I will test it against my MP5 and let you all know how it goes.  That may be after the holidays.

It's the Accra FX 3.0 140, M0 (like L flex), 48g and 5.5 TQ.  

Worst case, it has a good resale value right now.

On 12/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, An70847 said:

@azstu324have you looked at the project X LZ shaft

I have not but the 50g 5.5 seems to be a good option for faster SS's. After researching 5.5 (reg) is as soft as these get so definitely a higher SS is required in the OP sense. 

I'm not sure how available these are being that they're approximately 10 yrs old. What I love about the PLB and now Maltby MPF UL, is that they're currently in production. Besides the performance, the 2 main factors that I think are very important are available and price. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I have not but the 50g 5.5 seems to be a good option for faster SS's. After researching 5.5 (reg) is as soft as these get so definitely a higher SS is required in the OP sense. 

I'm not sure how available these are being that they're approximately 10 yrs old. What I love about the PLB and now Maltby MPF UL, is that they're currently in production. Besides the performance, the 2 main factors that I think are very important are available and price. 

if anyone wants to give it a go & report back!! 

New Project X LZ 5.5 Driver/Fairway Shaft Regular Flex 44" Uncut https://a.co/d/7IkmoCV

Edited by An70847

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Thoughts on a Project X EvenFlow Green 45 in Reg Flex for this experiment and SS of 105-110

I was poking around in golf shaft reviews website and he has a match for this shaft in regards to EI profile. It’s an older Mitsubishi Bassara GG(?) I’m not familiar with this shaft but here is the profiles side by side. Regardless, here is the profile of that shaft anyways. Cheers

B6F2BF33-96B4-438B-95A4-CAE9FC5481CA.jpeg

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I kinda have a feeling these new Newton shafts may fit for this purpose. Will be curious for anyone that tries them or is able to get their hands on the range to see how they perform across flexes... or in their case dots. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I kinda have a feeling these new Newton shafts may fit for this purpose. Will be curious for anyone that tries them or is able to get their hands on the range to see how they perform across flexes... or in their case dots. 

That was my initial thought on the Newton as well.  

@GolfSpy_APH did you see Daly is using the Newton shafts this week?  

Along with his Sub70 irons and wedges. 

7 hours ago, srooch2 said:

I was poking around in golf shaft reviews website and he has a match for this shaft in regards to EI profile. It’s an older Mitsubishi Bassara GG(?) I’m not familiar with this shaft but here is the profiles side by side. Regardless, here is the profile of that shaft anyways. Cheers

B6F2BF33-96B4-438B-95A4-CAE9FC5481CA.jpeg

Someone on here tested the bassara’s. I think they performed quite well, if memory serves correctly.

I still vote for aldila phenom in the 50 gram and lite flex. I think someone will be happy with that. If you can’t find it used I believe the kuro kage hbp is the same shaft. It might be worth a look and it’s cheap on golfworks. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

4 hours ago, srooch2 said:

I still vote for aldila phenom in the 50 gram and lite flex. I think someone will be happy with that. If you can’t find it used I believe the kuro kage hbp is the same shaft. It might be worth a look and it’s cheap on golfworks. 

I have considered the kuro kage many times. I have been worried about the torque though.

16 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

I have considered the kuro kage many times. I have been worried about the torque though.

In what way? It is a little high but I think it’s been proven that torque only effects feel. I don’t like high torque however for that reason and tend to stick to lower torque shafts. It’s a good shaft though. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

In lieu of just starting my own thread to ask a technical question, I'll try here first as it might fit. 

I've been playing a Paderson Velocity D20 (R? flex). Its very loose feeling and I don't know if it is anything like the AF (never hit) but I have wondered whether it might be. Anyway, I'd like to get another driver (to leave at a relative's house where I play when visiting) but they are not cheap shafts and I do like it.  So..

1. Is this shaft anything close to AF profile? In which case info here may already be useful.

2. If no, what other less costly shafts might be a match for the Paderson profile at a more budget friendly price?