Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What do you want in a Golf Shop?

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

So what are the vital characteristics that you look for in a golf shop?

What can they do, in person, that would cause you to buy from there rather than online?

Does customer service matter to you? Is it worth a higher price to you to have that customer service?

Another way to approach this topic:

If you were building the perfect golf pro shop, how would you do it? What would you carry? Not carry?

How would you screen employees?

What would you do to make sure that all levels of golfer feel welcome?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm not picky: good selection of quality product, good prices, friendly and knowledgeable staff, outdoor hitting areas, launch monitors, excellent customer service, and all the newest and greatest stuff. :)

That's tough... For me the biggest reasons I buy online are better prices, and a wider selection, so those would be key for me to buy in a store rather than online...

As far as customer service, I will go into stores, try the clubs, get the advice from the salesmen, and buy online... Thanks for the service you do, but my bottom line is the one that really matters in the end... I will solicit you advise and expertise, and go somewhere else to buy... It sucks, but I work hard for my money, and I am going to make sure I spend it wisely...

So what would I like to see:

Huge selection of clubs/shoes/balls/gloves/clothes

used section

Both high end and low end products

fittings by someone who really knows what they are doing

demo days from all manufacturers

great sales, not just low prices, but sales that will draw me into the store

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I'm not picky: good selection of quality product, good prices, friendly and knowledgeable staff, outdoor hitting areas, launch monitors, excellent customer service, and all the newest and greatest stuff. :)

None of the stores in my area have outdoor fitting areas, or any way to try the clubs other than indoor mats, so that would be a huge plus for me...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I would have lots of demo clubs, a big putting green, and free fitting if you buy something from us. Also, if possible, an outdoor range that we could use for demos and as a driving range.

• SPY VIP

I would have lots of demo clubs, a big putting green, and free fitting if you buy something from us. Also, if possible, an outdoor range that we could use for demos and as a driving range.

One way I have seen the free fitting presented is you pay $50 up front for the club fitting and then they credit you $50 with purchase.

Would this system interest anyone? It seems like it would help the shop to not waste employee contact time on fitting customers who will not buy from them.

Volvo Intorqueo

One way I have seen the free fitting presented is you pay $50 up front for the club fitting and then they credit you $50 with purchase.

Would this system interest anyone? It seems like it would help the shop to not waste employee contact time on fitting customers who will not buy from them.

I think that's a great idea... and then also include a policy that if the clubs are returned (not exchanged) then the customer still has to pay for the fitting...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

That is what I was going for. A lot of places do this, and I think it's a great idea. If you don't want to buy something, you're going to pay some money, but if you keep it all in-house, it's a nice service.

We have some huge golf stores in our area as everyone probably knows and while I have bought online I try to support them as well. Of course, if the pro at my club can get me what I want...he usually can and at the lowest price...I will always give him my business.

The biggest turnoff for me in the superstores are the employees on the floor. I don't know if they're burned out from all the questions or they think they're better than the typical hack customer but I can certainly do without them. They remind me of a lot of assistant pros who think they're really something because they work behind the desk of a golf course, LOL.

I'm a low handicap player but I probably get the "attitude" because I'm old.

Semper Fi

My Club

None of the stores in my area have outdoor fitting areas, or any way to try the clubs other than indoor mats, so that would be a huge plus for me...

Same here.....must be a KC weather thing. It'd be nice to be able to get fit for a club and actually know how it was hit -- as in being able to see true ball flight.

This is how most shops that I know of run fittings and it seems perfectly fair to me.

I found exactly what I was looking for at Top Golf. I have to admit that being a chain sort of place I was hesitant at first, but they have earned my business on every front (gear, lessons, fun, and food)

Top Golf Chicago

Top Golf Fitting Blog

Have you done a fitting here? I know they have Trackman, which is very attractive to me, but the cost is pretty substantial, over $100 I think and I'm not sure it all gets refunded if you buy something.

To answer the original question, what I like is a wide selection of new clubs, good simulators, a good used club selection, and sales people who are helpful and have a basic knowledge of their goods. I do NOT think salesmen should have to go fact for fact with me; I'm an equipment junkie, they should not be required to be. I also prefer sales people who don't try to sell customers crap they don't need. This doesn't really apply to me (I go in knowing what I'm going to buy), but I hate listening to people get sold on stuff that won't help them. Just a pet peeve. Finally, I like small, mom and pop stores. I like that they will cut you a deal because you're a loyal customer. I like that they take pride in their shop. I like that they know your name. The one thing I don't like about the area I live in now is that there isn't one of those shops anymore, so I'm forced into the big boxes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I love this topic. Thanks Sactown!!! I will keep on reading, and post some on how we do things at my shop a little later...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I love this topic. Thanks Sactown!!! I will keep on reading, and post some on how we do things at my shop a little later...

Your welcome Nic. It seemed to be coming up in other threads so I thought it wise to start a dedicated one.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

What can they do, in person, that would cause you to buy from there rather than online?

Does customer service matter to you? Is it worth a higher price to you to have that customer service?

Another way to approach this topic:

If you were building the perfect golf pro shop, how would you do it? What would you carry? Not carry?

How would you screen employees?

What would you do to make sure that all levels of golfer feel welcome?

Since I have time now I will respond to my own prompt.

I expect a few things from a golf shop.

1. Staff makes effort. This is broad ranging. It includes learning the details about stock so that they can answer questions, seeking out answers that they can't immediately answer. The staff makes me think that my purchase is important to them be it a complete set or one novelty ball.

2. Staff accepts the levels of play of the customers. i have definitely run into the "How can you not break 90?" staffer. It feels like Animal House where Flounder and Pinto go to the rush party and keep ending up with the exiles. My irrational purchasing of clubs beyond my ability or a new staff bag keep the store open and them employed. The staff at the shop I go to are great for this as most are instructors too.

3. Competitive pricing. Nothing turns me off more than a pervious year's driver that is priced at MSRP. I know there are restrictions, but not for all manufacturers.

4. Demo facilities: Be able to hit the clubs. If not busy, have the staff follow you out to the range and make suggestions.

5. Do cool things for loyal customers. This is a bit random so let me explain. I had a HiboreXL (HIBORE!) that had a piece come loose inside of the head. They called Cleveland to return it, no problem. However, I was going to play twice before it was due back in the shop. The store owner told me to go and take a driver from the demo/used rack as a "loaner" until mine was back from Cleveland. Incredible.

6. Hold events: Fittings, demo days, the buzz makes it fun to go to the shop.

7. ? (i'll add more later)

Volvo Intorqueo

5. Do cool things for loyal customers. This is a bit random so let me explain. I had a HiboreXL (HIBORE!) that had a piece come loose inside of the head. They called Cleveland to return it, no problem. However, I was going to play twice before it was due back in the shop. The store owner told me to go and take a driver from the demo/used rack as a "loaner" until mine was back from Cleveland. Incredible.

6. Hold events: Fittings, demo days, the buzz makes it fun to go to the shop.

Events are great. I want to add this to my list, retroactively.

#5 is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to in my post when I talked about loving mom and pop shops. It is 100 times better to go into a shop where they know you and will help you out, even on small stuff. A couple years ago, I was really fired up to buy a new driver and there was a huge crop of new stuff coming out in the spring. I called two weeks in a row asking if any of the new stuff had come in. The pro said, "You called last week, right? Is this Matt? How about I write down your number and call you when we get the clubs you're interested in." Now, this was probably done in part to stop me from annoying him, but it made me feel valued as a customer. That feeling led me to buy EVERYTHING at that shop and to use their range exclusively.

• SPY VIP

Events are great. I want to add this to my list, retroactively.

#5 is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to in my post when I talked about loving mom and pop shops. It is 100 times better to go into a shop where they know you and will help you out, even on small stuff. A couple years ago, I was really fired up to buy a new driver and there was a huge crop of new stuff coming out in the spring. I called two weeks in a row asking if any of the new stuff had come in. The pro said, "You called last week, right? Is this Matt? How about I write down your number and call you when we get the clubs you're interested in." Now, this was probably done in part to stop me from annoying him, but it made me feel valued as a customer. That feeling led me to buy EVERYTHING at that shop and to use their range exclusively.

And that is what you would miss at the big boxes and online. It makes me very nervous thinking about the non-chain golf stores not being around.

Volvo Intorqueo

And that is what you would miss at the big boxes and online. It makes me very nervous thinking about the non-chain golf stores not being around.

Looking around where I've lived, I feel like the only place where mom and pop can survive is in smaller communities where GG or Golfsmith doesn't want to be. In a bigger place, I think it's very hard to compete with the marketing power of the big boxes. You need to offering something really special, or be a well established figure in the community.

• SPY VIP

Looking around where I've lived, I feel like the only place where mom and pop can survive is in smaller communities where GG or Golfsmith doesn't want to be. In a bigger place, I think it's very hard to compete with the marketing power of the big boxes. You need to offering something really special, or be a well established figure in the community.

We only have one GG in the immediate area. Lots of people there on event nights, but few customers when I used to shop there for used stuff. Most of the area courses have relatively large on course retail space. The Haggin Oaks Super Shop at my main course is immense. But they are still "small" in their approach. Many of the numbered items in the post are nailed by that shop, and they get lots of $$$ from me.

Volvo Intorqueo

We only have one GG in the immediate area. Lots of people there on event nights, but few customers when I used to shop there for used stuff. Most of the area courses have relatively large on course retail space. The Haggin Oaks Super Shop at my main course is immense. But they are still "small" in their approach. Many of the numbered items in the post are nailed by that shop, and they get lots of $$ from me.

Is Haggin Oaks a chain? I've never heard of it.

There's definitely no reason that a physically large shop can't operate like a "small" one. The shop that I referred to carried everything you could want, had a 2 tier heated driving range, the works. But they were smart enough to really care about their customers.

• SPY VIP

Is Haggin Oaks a chain? I've never heard of it.

There's definitely no reason that a physically large shop can't operate like a "small" one. The shop that I referred to carried everything you could want, had a 2 tier heated driving range, the works. But they were smart enough to really care about their customers.

Not a chain, but the B&M version of MortonGolf. Still family owned though.

Volvo Intorqueo

I want to add one thing: A sizeable amount of used clubs, and good trade in values for used clubs! I bought my Nike Unitizes for $250 2 years ago, last year they would only offer me $15 for it! Made me sick.... When I was there they were even selling one used for $99!

• SPY VIP

I want to add one thing: A sizeable amount of used clubs, and good trade in values for used clubs! I bought my Nike Unitizes for $250 2 years ago, last year they would only offer me $15 for it! Made me sick.... When I was there they were even selling one used for $99!

Excellent addition to the dream shop. Realize though that if they already had one sitting in the shop at $99 unsold then buying yours for any money would be unwise.

Volvo Intorqueo

Here is what I would like to see, and it's combo of Golf Galaxy and a local shop called Golf Discounters.

1. Staff: Helpful, nice, friendly, and very informed on new products, brands, and the differences between them

2. Selection: A good, varied, selection. Not only the Big OEMs, but some smaller, respected brands. I would also like to see the shop to be able to build you a set on site also.

3. Clothing, again, a varied selection, and not only the Big OEM brands, some of the newer, smaller up and coming brands.

4. A good trade in policy, which means a good selection of used clubs.

5. A PGA Pro for lessons and a profession fitter is a must. The right clubs in your hands is the most important thing.

6. HD Golf Simulator, not only for testing clubs out, fittings, but the ability to generate money from playing a simulated 18 holes on some famous courses.

7. STAFF, again, the best staff is a key to the success of any store.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I already have access to a golf shop that has good (and unobtrusive) customer service, a decent club repair department, and a 90 day return-for-store-credit policy that I haven't seen anywhere else (http://www.worldwidegolfshops.com). For more complicated club building tasks, I would have to drive elsewhere, but that's not such a big deal. The particular location I go to is small, however, and it would really benefit from partnering with a practice range so that people could demo equipment outdoors (where driver fitting would be more realistic).

Excellent addition to the dream shop. Realize though that if they already had one sitting in the shop at $99 unsold then buying yours for any money would be unwise.

Jamo, I agree that it's frustrating to hear the trade-in value, but when you consider their side it's hard to be too indignant about it. I know that I would not want to spend money on something that's going to sit on my shelf, continue to lose value, and might eventually have to be blown out at a loss.

Here is what I would like to see, and it's combo of Golf Galaxy and a local shop called Golf Discounters.

6. HD Golf Simulator, not only for testing clubs out, fittings, but the ability to generate money from playing a simulated 18 holes on some famous courses.

I think this is a cool idea, and I've played on simulators before and it's fun. I see the problem being this: You and your friends come in and pay for an hour of sim time. I come in and want to demo a driver. If I can't hit the driver on the sim, I leave angry and go elsewhere. The "easy" solution is to have a lot of sims, but that gets very expensive and I doubt they would pay for themselves too quickly. You might suggest that the sims are open for "play" only during certain hours, but how many customers will take the time to go to your website and find out if the sims are open for demos at the time that they want to come to the store? Probably very few. Much more likely that they will show up and leave angry as I suggested earlier.

Sorry to be a downer on this, I do like to idea, just seems impractical.

Jamo, I agree that it's frustrating to hear the trade-in value, but when you consider their side it's hard to be too indignant about it. I know that I would not want to spend money on something that's going to sit on my shelf, continue to lose value, and might eventually have to be blown out at a loss.

I know that they were justified in pricing it the way they were, they need to do that to make money. This may be slightly off topic, but I read recently that video game stores make like 30% of their money off used game sales, so that just goes to show the value that used sales can have. I was maybe just a little sore. ;)

• SPY VIP

I think this is a cool idea, and I've played on simulators before and it's fun. I see the problem being this: You and your friends come in and pay for an hour of sim time. I come in and want to demo a driver. If I can't hit the driver on the sim, I leave angry and go elsewhere. The "easy" solution is to have a lot of sims, but that gets very expensive and I doubt they would pay for themselves too quickly. You might suggest that the sims are open for "play" only during certain hours, but how many customers will take the time to go to your website and find out if the sims are open for demos at the time that they want to come to the store? Probably very few. Much more likely that they will show up and leave angry as I suggested earlier.

Sorry to be a downer on this, I do like to idea, just seems impractical.

Sims are so expensive and if the weather is good, they will not be used. We had a local business that started up with a bunch of sim booths and bar type atmospheres including food and beverages. We thought about going once when it was raining, then they went out of business. A shop would gain some novelty from the sim addition, but lose money.

Maybe this business could have done better in a colder climate or where course offerings are limited. NorCal was not a good fit.

Volvo Intorqueo

Sims are so expensive and if the weather is good, they will not be used. We had a local business that started up with a bunch of sim booths and bar type atmospheres including food and beverages. We thought about going once when it was raining, then they went out of business. A shop would gain some novelty from the sim addition, but lose money.

Maybe this business could have done better in a colder climate or where course offerings are limited. NorCal was not a good fit.

There's a similar place here in the suburbs that opened recently called Golf Nation. It's a pretty neat idea - there's an outdoor range, indoor hitting bays, lots of short game room, sims, and a gym, plus a bar with food. The membership is expensive, but if you lived close enough it could be worthwhile. They were also smart in that they got local courses to work out special prices for the members in the summer.

There's a similar place here in the suburbs that opened recently called Golf Nation. It's a pretty neat idea - there's an outdoor range, indoor hitting bays, lots of short game room, sims, and a gym, plus a bar with food. The membership is expensive, but if you lived close enough it could be worthwhile. They were also smart in that they got local courses to work out special prices for the members in the summer.

Some great ideas, I had looked seriously for a Golf Sports Bar featuring 2 or more big HD Sims, but have backed off the idea. The melding of a Pro Shop and Sims is a good idea, Driver/club demo 9s (for a fee of course) is a pretty neat idea. Also, special play 9 sim lessons.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived