Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What do you want in a Golf Shop?

GolfSpy Dave

Max of Three, 2 for all time golf groups playing 18s, the other one for lessons and fittings.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

There's a similar place here in the suburbs that opened recently called Golf Nation. It's a pretty neat idea - there's an outdoor range, indoor hitting bays, lots of short game room, sims, and a gym, plus a bar with food. The membership is expensive, but if you lived close enough it could be worthwhile. They were also smart in that they got local courses to work out special prices for the members in the summer.

That is great idea. There is one place close to me that has everything you listed minus the gym plus a pool. I'm trying to get a job there too so.. fingers crossed.

Since I have time now I will respond to my own prompt.

So what are the vital characteristics that you look for in a golf shop?

I expect a few things from a golf shop.

1. Staff makes effort. This is broad ranging. It includes learning the details about stock so that they can answer questions, seeking out answers that they can't immediately answer. The staff makes me think that my purchase is important to them be it a complete set or one novelty ball.

2. Staff accepts the levels of play of the customers. i have definitely run into the "How can you not break 90?" staffer. It feels like Animal House where Flounder and Pinto go to the rush party and keep ending up with the exiles. My irrational purchasing of clubs beyond my ability or a new staff bag keep the store open and them employed. The staff at the shop I go to are great for this as most are instructors too.

3. Competitive pricing. Nothing turns me off more than a pervious year's driver that is priced at MSRP. I know there are restrictions, but not for all manufacturers.

4. Demo facilities: Be able to hit the clubs. If not busy, have the staff follow you out to the range and make suggestions.

5. Do cool things for loyal customers. This is a bit random so let me explain. I had a HiboreXL (HIBORE!) that had a piece come loose inside of the head. They called Cleveland to return it, no problem. However, I was going to play twice before it was due back in the shop. The store owner told me to go and take a driver from the demo/used rack as a "loaner" until mine was back from Cleveland. Incredible.

6. Hold events: Fittings, demo days, the buzz makes it fun to go to the shop.

7. ? (i'll add more later)

I felt like I was reading about my Shop. I love to hear this. I know that Mortons and my Bosses are both well acquainted with each other. The have similar philosophies on customer service and how the club buying experience should work. I can't wait to show this thread to the boss.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I felt like I was reading about my Shop. I love to hear this. I know that Mortons and my Bosses are both well acquainted with each other. The have similar philosophies on customer service and how the club buying experience should work. I can't wait to show this thread to the boss.

The Mortons run a cool shop. the loaner was actually from a small chain store (4 shops) that didn't survive the economy. Wide World of Golf and Tennis. One more of them near me and two sort of toward you.

http://www.wwgolf.com/wwg.html

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The Mortons run a cool shop. the loaner was actually from a small chain store (4 shops) that didn't survive the economy. Wide World of Golf and Tennis. One more of them near me and two sort of toward you.

The loaner thing is something that we do pretty regularly for customers. It is not a policy, but if there is any way that I can get a Customer a Driver to use, I am going to do it.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

The loaner thing is something that we do pretty regularly for customers. It is not a policy, but if there is any way that I can get a Customer a Driver to use, I am going to do it.

And that is why I would buy gear from a shop like yours. :D

fixed the geography above

Volvo Intorqueo

and FYI, Spokane, Boise, and Roseville are NOWHERE near me. :D

I am disappointed people. Unless I have missed it somewhere. No one has yet mentioned the need for a few bar stools in the corner and a beer tap. Just for those rainy crappy days when no one wants to play, but yet don't really feel like going home to see the Mrs either

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I am disappointed people. Unless I have missed it somewhere. No one has yet mentioned the need for a few bar stools in the corner and a beer tap. Just for those rainy crappy days when no one wants to play, but yet don't really feel like going home to see the Mrs either

Implied. All good golf shops have the appropriate accouterments.

• SPY VIP

This is a serious consideration. It in an advantage of the on course shops with a restaurant. The restaurant by the main shop often has cross promotions with the store. Buy something get lunch for free. And the food is good...

Understanding the Community is another quality in a shop that is nice to find. As example, my shop held deals for "Furlough Fridays" after our govern-ator furloughed state workers for 3 fridays a month.

They had free lunch promotions, reduced greens fees, and other things on the friday that were furlough days. Obviously, they are trying to attract customers, but it felt too like they were trying to give these people who are taking a significant pay hit a deal on what would otherwise be a lame day.

Volvo Intorqueo

This is a serious consideration. It in an advantage of the on course shops with a restaurant. The restaurant by the main shop often has cross promotions with the store. Buy something get lunch for free. And the food is good...

Understanding the Community is another quality in a shop that is nice to find. As example, my shop held deals for "Furlough Fridays" after our govern-ator furloughed state workers for 3 fridays a month.

They had free lunch promotions, reduced greens fees, and other things on the friday that were furlough days. Obviously, they are trying to attract customers, but it felt too like they were trying to give these people who are taking a significant pay hit a deal on what would otherwise be a lame day.

I used to go to a range that had nice cross promotions, as you mentioned. Come in for dinner, and get a bucket of balls at the range for free.

I think your point about understanding the community really takes customer service to a while different level. Kudos to your shop for helping out the golfers who are struggling like that.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

nice idea.

Archived