2023 Cobra Announces New KING Tour and KING CB/MMB Players Irons

Golfspy_CG2

COBRA Golf TM , a leader in golf club innovation, unveiled today the new
KING TM TOUR and KING TM CB and MB irons. Rounding out an impressive KING TM family that also includes
the KING TM Forged Tec and Forged Tec-X irons, the new releases elevate the KING TM family of players’ irons
to a new level. Aimed at advanced players, a traditional forged muscleback (KING TM MB), compact muscle
cavity back (KING TM CB), and a technical cavity back model (KING TM TOUR) cover the full spectrum of golfers
who value feel, feedback, and shotshaping ability.

image.png
All three new models are crafted from 1025 carbon steel using COBRA ® ’s industry-leading 5-Step Forging
Process. While other forged irons have traditionally used a four-step process, COBRA ® utilizes a fifth forging
strike to deliver unmatched soft feel and precision shaping. The forging process begins by heating carbon
steel billets to 1200-degree Celsius. The billets are then Rough Forged three times (steps 1-3), a process in
which the metal is bent and forged to form the rough shaping of an iron head. Step Four involves applying
1200 tons of pressure at 800-degrees Celsius to each rough clubhead, refining the shapes and placing
detail lines and logos. During the final fifth step, each iron head is subjected to 2000 tons of pressure at
700-degrees Celsius, forming an extremely uniform and isotropic internal grain structure. After cooling, each
clubhead is polished and made ready for the faces and grooves to be precision milled using a CNC
(Computer Numerical Controlled) machine.

“The five-step forging process is critical to both the feel produced at impact by each of our new KING TM irons
as well the consistency of performance,” said Tom Olsavsky, Vice President of R&D for COBRA Golf TM .
“Players who desire the feel of forged want a soft sensation at impact rather than one that’s overly crisp, and
our process delivers the desired sensation. But forgings can also be lacking in consistency due to the
challenges involved in the forging process, all of which we’ve improved on by creating forged irons with
superior precision from clubhead to clubhead. Players who favor forged irons now have the option to enjoy all
the benefits of a forging with the consistency normally associated with cast products.”

Benefits of COBRA ® ’s 5-Step Forging Process include: More precise shaping, more precise and flatter
clubfaces, tighter weight tolerances, improved consistency of loft and lies, improved face thickness
consistency, improved aesthetics, and significantly enhanced feel at impact.

The KING TOUR irons ($1299/7-piece set) blend soft feel and playability with enhanced distance and
forgiveness using a 5-step forged multi-material construction. Unlike the CB & MB irons which are one-pieceforgings,the Tour irons feature an aluminum medallion, and a TPU insert in the back cavity. A key to the enhanced forgiveness and overall performance of COBRA ® ’s new TOUR iron are CNC undercuts in the back
cavity of each iron, which allow weight to be repositioned from high center to lower center and heel and toe
areas of the clubhead, creating improved launch conditions and more forgiveness on off center hits. These
cavities progress from deeper in the long irons for enhanced stability, to shallower in the short irons for
enhanced control. To improve feel, each CNC undercut is filled with a soft TPU material and topped with an
alumninum co-molded medallion, which both damp vibration for a more pleasing sound and feel at impact.
The shaping of the TOUR irons is progressively more compact than the KING TM Forged TEC model, featuring
a thinner topline, reduced offset. The updated Tour shape also features a slightly shortened blade length than
the previous KING TM Tour MIM Irons to inspire improved control and workability. The TOUR model also
features 2 degree stronger lofts than the CB & MB irons to produce more explosive distance off the face.
The TOUR irons are available in 3i-GW (RH/LH), with the stock set offered in 4-PW steel stiff, RH only. LH
sets are available in custom. A Lamkin Crossline grip, and a KBS $-Taper 120 steel shaft in Stiff flex comes
standard.

image.png

The KING TM CB/MB irons ($1199/7-piece set) feature the most compact shapes in the KING TM lineup, and are
built with attributes that better players typically desire including thinner toplines for aesthetics, minimal offset
for control, thinner soles for precise turf interaction, and shorter blade lengths for enhanced shot-shaping
ability. Due to the precision of the 5-Step Forging Process, the CB and MB irons feature perfectly centered
CG locations without the need for added Tungsten to manipulate the CG. The CB irons, having a more
forgiving cavity back shape with slightly more offset, and the traditional MB muscle back offer players a variety
of customizeable set configurations to fit their gapping and aesthetic preferences. The stock set is available
in a flow combo set that comes with the CB model in the 4-6 irons, and the MB model in the 7-PW (Steel Stiff,
RH Only?). This unique set makeup allows more forgiveness in the longer irons, and more precision in the
shorter irons. Both CB (Cavity Back) and MB (Muscle Back) models are available as full CB or MB sets in 3i-
GW through custom (Full CB sets are available in RH & LH, while MB are available in RH & only 7-PW in LH).
Lamkin Crossline grips and KBS $-Taper 120 steel shafts come standard.

All three new KING TM irons will be available at cobragolf.com and at retail on February 3rd, 2023.
For more information on the COBRA KING TM family of irons and all of COBRA ® ’s innovative new products for
2023, visit www.cobragolf.com.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

100% do not need new irons...97% chance that before this year is over I will purchase these in some configuration, likely a straight set of the King Tour but I love how similar all the lines look including the utilities and even the Forged Tecs, so would need to tinker a bit! As a long time Cobra fan and believer, I hope they have a really strong year with these offerings and take some market share from the big dogs...I do hope to get more info as different reviews and media tours are done, along with hopefully testing them out on my own, specifically:

The King Tours use only the TPU to move weight around, not any tungsten...would that mean that, relative to say T100s which has the same lofts and similar look but uses tungsten in addition to a TPU, or i230 which uses both tungsten and an insert, would these be a bit lower launching and maybe a touch less forgiving, or is enough weight moved out to the perimeter on the King Tours that they keep forgiveness on par with the other players iron offerings? I'm imagining a forgiveness level on the low side for a players iron, but would look to confirm that.

The CB/MB set follows the same 5-step forging process as the predecessor King Forged CB/MB from 2019, but abandons the tungsten completely vs. the predecessor that had 6g plugs in sole and toe for added launch & forgiveness...would these then be expected to launch a touch lower and be a bit more penalizing vs. predecessors, but possibly with a softer feel? 

@chisag can I trust that you will get a set of the King Tours and provide the usual comprehensive review to at least address my first question? 😅

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

14 hours ago, chisag said:

... I really want to just keep playing my MIM's. I really do. But who am I kidding? 🤪  I should have a set by March and will do a complete write up as well as follow up after playing them awhile. 

They should just go ahead and give you a signature model at this point.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Freaking love these irons. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 1/12/2023 at 11:21 AM, hartrick11 said:

I do hope to get more info as different reviews and media tours are done, along with hopefully testing them out on my own, specifically:

The King Tours use only the TPU to move weight around, not any tungsten...would that mean that, relative to say T100s which has the same lofts and similar look but uses tungsten in addition to a TPU, or i230 which uses both tungsten and an insert, would these be a bit lower launching and maybe a touch less forgiving, or is enough weight moved out to the perimeter on the King Tours that they keep forgiveness on par with the other players iron offerings? I'm imagining a forgiveness level on the low side for a players iron, but would look to confirm that.

The CB/MB set follows the same 5-step forging process as the predecessor King Forged CB/MB from 2019, but abandons the tungsten completely vs. the predecessor that had 6g plugs in sole and toe for added launch & forgiveness...would these then be expected to launch a touch lower and be a bit more penalizing vs. predecessors, but possibly with a softer feel? 

Spent time with both Tour and CB yesterday, and also brought my current gamer P770 7i (2021 version) and previous gamer 7i (2019 King Forged CB). I took a bunch of pics but need to add them later.

• I started with the CB: Color difference could contribute to how the different clubs look, but to my eye it seems like they took the 2019 CB, kept same shaping, topline and sole, but made it 5% bigger all around. They definitely moved some weight around in the cavity vs the 2019, with more mass low & in the toe now, and a bit more concentration in the center with the older model, which makes sense since they are making up for ditching the tungsten that was in the 2019 version. The slightly larger look vs. prior iteration is less intimidating (the 2019 blade length was miniscule), and feel is great - it's very clearly a one-piece CB so you're getting all that comes with it. I loved the feel, not pillow-soft: flushed shots felt powerful ripping off of the face, but soft enough that mishits weren't making my hands ring even though the feedback was very clear about where I missed; I reeeallly loved the 2019 CBs, and I still think they are tough to beat for a player's CB with a surprising amount of forgiveness in a small package, but these should appeal to a larger set of players with a fairly wide sole (wider than my P770) and increased blade length.  
  • Then I went to the Tour: looks-wise, these seem like they took the new CB and just stretched the blade a bit longer; otherwise shaping is extremely similar. Without seeing what the short irons look like I can't say that I would/wouldn't combo, but based on 7 irons a Tour/CBs combo should be no problem. Feel is awesome, and IMO miles better than my P770, Apex Pro, T200 or other irons of similar sizing - probably because most of those in this same size category are more tech-packed and the Cobras just have the TPU badge, so it feels similar to, but not the same as, the CB. The badge is definitely doing work keeping a soft feel across the face; you still get feedback on misses, just a touch less than with the CBs, and while I didn't have any monitor it looked like the misses with the Tour were maintaining ball speed better than CB, as expected. The softer feel on shots outside the sweet spot is is a major improvement vs. MIM Tour IMO. The other thing that stuck out was what seems to be MOI...this one had less of a tendency to turn on me when I was trying different shots - I would imagine longer blade length & more perimeter weighting vs. the CB was helping me there. That part is a huge win for me as a high spin and ~7 handicap player but some may want the additional workability of the CB.
  • Overall I think both are winners; CBs will appeal to more people on their own than with the prior iteration due to a slightly larger size this time around, but are still very much a players' iron. Not sure about how the bigger CB combos with the MB but that is above my paygrade. As for the Tours, I think they are going to have a monster (for Cobra) year. I'd need to see the actual numbers to compare against some of the more tech-packed offerings, but on feel and subjective observational performance at least, this keeps up with all the good ones in my book (ZX7 og, 223, T100, though I still need to hit i230 and the new ZX7), which is saying a lot. I would want to check out monitor numbers, especially backspin rates since my spin with the MIMs was really high, as well as the size of the shorter irons before ordering but King Tours are the leader in the clubhouse for my next set that I still don't need 😆

Also hitting a large bucket off of mats with a 4-5* down AoA was a good reminder that my next set needs to be graphite, yikes.

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

22 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Spent time with both Tour and CB yesterday, and also brought my current gamer P770 7i (2021 version) and previous gamer 7i (2019 King Forged CB). I took a bunch of pics but need to add them later.

• I started with the CB: Color difference could contribute to how the different clubs look, but to my eye it seems like they took the 2019 CB, kept same shaping, topline and sole, but made it 5% bigger all around. They definitely moved some weight around in the cavity vs the 2019, with more mass low & in the toe now, and a bit more concentration in the center with the older model, which makes sense since they are making up for ditching the tungsten that was in the 2019 version. The slightly larger look vs. prior iteration is less intimidating (the 2019 blade length was miniscule), and feel is great - it's very clearly a one-piece CB so you're getting all that comes with it. I loved the feel, not pillow-soft: flushed shots felt powerful ripping off of the face, but soft enough that mishits weren't making my hands ring even though the feedback was very clear about where I missed; I reeeallly loved the 2019 CBs, and I still think they are tough to beat for a player's CB with a surprising amount of forgiveness in a small package, but these should appeal to a larger set of players with a fairly wide sole (wider than my P770) and increased blade length.  
  • Then I went to the Tour: looks-wise, these seem like they took the new CB and just stretched the blade a bit longer; otherwise shaping is extremely similar. Without seeing what the short irons look like I can't say that I would/wouldn't combo, but based on 7 irons a Tour/CBs combo should be no problem. Feel is awesome, and IMO miles better than my P770, Apex Pro, T200 or other irons of similar sizing - probably because most of those in this same size category are more tech-packed and the Cobras just have the TPU badge, so it feels similar to, but not the same as, the CB. The badge is definitely doing work keeping a soft feel across the face; you still get feedback on misses, just a touch less than with the CBs, and while I didn't have any monitor it looked like the misses with the Tour were maintaining ball speed better than CB, as expected. The softer feel on shots outside the sweet spot is is a major improvement vs. MIM Tour IMO. The other thing that stuck out was what seems to be MOI...this one had less of a tendency to turn on me when I was trying different shots - I would imagine longer blade length & more perimeter weighting vs. the CB was helping me there. That part is a huge win for me as a high spin and ~7 handicap player but some may want the additional workability of the CB.
  • Overall I think both are winners; CBs will appeal to more people on their own than with the prior iteration due to a slightly larger size this time around, but are still very much a players' iron. Not sure about how the bigger CB combos with the MB but that is above my paygrade. As for the Tours, I think they are going to have a monster (for Cobra) year. I'd need to see the actual numbers to compare against some of the more tech-packed offerings, but on feel and subjective observational performance at least, this keeps up with all the good ones in my book (ZX7 og, 223, T100, though I still need to hit i230 and the new ZX7), which is saying a lot. I would want to check out monitor numbers, especially backspin rates since my spin with the MIMs was really high, as well as the size of the shorter irons before ordering but King Tours are the leader in the clubhouse for my next set that I still don't need 😆

Also hitting a large bucket off of mats with a 4-5* down AoA was a good reminder that my next set needs to be graphite, yikes.

Oh man - I'm regretting now that the Tours weren't in at TrueSpec when I was there on Friday, but...I wasn't there to buy anyway, right?  RIGHT???? 😉 I hit the ZX5s and loved them (like, a lot), but they also didn't have the ZX4s in, which I was curious to try as well.  Would the Tours be comparable to the ZX5s?  I see you reference the ZX7s - curious if you have any experience with the 5s.  

Great write-up! 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Oh man - I'm regretting now that the Tours weren't in at TrueSpec when I was there on Friday, but...I wasn't there to buy anyway, right?  RIGHT???? 😉 I hit the ZX5s and loved them (like, a lot), but they also didn't have the ZX4s in, which I was curious to try as well.  Would the Tours be comparable to the ZX5s?  I see you reference the ZX7s - curious if you have any experience with the 5s.  

Great write-up! 

I haven't hit the new 2.0 versions of the ZX5 which I know are slimmed down a bit, but comparing vs. the earlier version of the Srixons, the King Tour is much more ZX7 than ZX5.

31 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I haven't hit the new 2.0 versions of the ZX5 which I know are slimmed down a bit, but comparing vs. the earlier version of the Srixons, the King Tour is much more ZX7 than ZX5.

Got it - That probably puts me in the Forged Tec category, which I'm very okay with 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see anything here about same length Dechambeau's.  I guess the honeymoon is over and wannabes don't want to be like Bryson anymore.

It's a shame the company ever got involved with that guy. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

25 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

Don't see anything here about same length Dechambeau's.  I guess the honeymoon is over and wannabes don't want to be like Bryson anymore.

It's a shame the company ever got involved with that guy. 

https://www.cobragolf.com/collections/one-length

Still several options in one length. Just not these specific ones. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 2/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

https://www.cobragolf.com/collections/one-length

Still several options in one length. Just not these specific ones. 

As of yesterday i saw DeChambeau and Cobra have parted ways. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

5 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

As of yesterday i saw DeChambeau and Cobra have parted ways. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/02/03/bryson-dechambeaus-cobra-puma-golf-contract-ended-in-2022/

Apparently it ended in 2022. 

And altho Google still shows him as a cobra staff player when you go to the link it's gone.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/02/03/bryson-dechambeaus-cobra-puma-golf-contract-ended-in-2022/

Apparently it ended in 2022. 

And altho Google still shows him as a cobra staff player when you go to the link it's gone.

When you look at Cobra's website under one length forge, there's still an image of him swinging, but his name isn't mentioned. 

• 4 weeks later...

Been looking at the new Cobra MB & TM MB irons to upgrade/replace my 712 CBs.  Was looking to try out the Callaway Apex Pro 21, but the rep told me they have DQ’d that head.  After hitting both sets I am leaning heavily to the Cobras.  They had a shape that fit my eye with a smaller head, thinner top line and a mid camber sole that resulted in a crisp, responsive sound with workable high shot shapes.  I wanted to like the TMs, but found them to have a slightly more rounded toe than what I prefer, and could easily deal with.  But, the one point I could not overlook was the hard, dead sound it produced with what I thought were good quality strikes. Just did not get a responsive feel/feedback with the TM MBs.  So, getting ready to place my order for the Cobra MB and cannot wait to get them in my bag!

Driver : Ping G400 SFT, 10 degree, Aldila XTorsion, Stiff, 60g

Fairway : TaylorMade M3, 15 degree, UST Axivcore, Tour S, 79g Red

Hybrid : Titleist 585H, 19 degree, Graphite Design YS-Hybrid+, Stiff, 85g

Irons : Titleist AP2 710, 4-PW, Dynamic Gold SL SensiCore, S300

Wedges :  52/08 SpinMilled Vokey Design;  Wilson Top-Notch Goose-Neck, 56 degree (stop laughing);  58/08M SM8 Vokey

Putter : Odessey, White Ice #2

10 minutes ago, Pla3355 said:

Been looking at the new Cobra MB & TM MB irons to upgrade/replace my 712 CBs.  Was looking to try out the Callaway Apex Pro 21, but the rep told me they have DQ’d that head.  After hitting both sets I am leaning heavily to the Cobras.  They had a shape that fit my eye with a smaller head, thinner top line and a mid camber sole that resulted in a crisp, responsive sound with workable high shot shapes.  I wanted to like the TMs, but found them to have a slightly more rounded toe than what I prefer, and could easily deal with.  But, the one point I could not overlook was the hard, dead sound it produced with what I thought were good quality strikes. Just did not get a responsive feel/feedback with the TM MBs.  So, getting ready to place my order for the Cobra MB and cannot wait to get them in my bag!

... Just curious and not questioning your personal preference if you just love MB's, but why would you not combo the set with the Cobra King Flow Set that includes the 4-6 CB and 7-PW MB or even just the 4 or 5 in CB that can be ordered anyway you want? Seems like a no brainer. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I agree.  I guess I’m too much of a traditionalist with always having a full set of the same type clubs.  I get the benefits of having a ‘flow’ set.  But when doing so, I think there are some nuances that a player would need to adapt to (possible wider sole, slightly more offset, etc.)  just from having two different types of clubs in their bag.  Additionally, since I don’t have an issue with launch/trajectory with my irons, I really haven’t given much thought to utilizing a split set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Driver : Ping G400 SFT, 10 degree, Aldila XTorsion, Stiff, 60g

Fairway : TaylorMade M3, 15 degree, UST Axivcore, Tour S, 79g Red

Hybrid : Titleist 585H, 19 degree, Graphite Design YS-Hybrid+, Stiff, 85g

Irons : Titleist AP2 710, 4-PW, Dynamic Gold SL SensiCore, S300

Wedges :  52/08 SpinMilled Vokey Design;  Wilson Top-Notch Goose-Neck, 56 degree (stop laughing);  58/08M SM8 Vokey

Putter : Odessey, White Ice #2

7 hours ago, Pla3355 said:

I agree.  I guess I’m too much of a traditionalist with always having a full set of the same type clubs.  I get the benefits of having a ‘flow’ set.  But when doing so, I think there are some nuances that a player would need to adapt to (possible wider sole, slightly more offset, etc.)  just from having two different types of clubs in their bag.  Additionally, since I don’t have an issue with launch/trajectory with my irons, I really haven’t given much thought to utilizing a split set. 🤷🏻‍♂️

... Thanks for the answer, and as I said I was just curious. Cobra really did an amazing job with these and the lofts are identical, which is very rare. The topline and soles are so close you have to put them right next to each other to see any difference. And the offset at .2 or .3 is so close I am not sure If I would notice, and I am very picky about offset. But I have played combo sets in the past so it seems natural to me. That said I know there are more than few that are uncomfortable with a combo set so I completely understand. 

I have been searching for these to test and try, but they are nowhere to be found around here 😞

Hoping there will be a demo day somewhere close by and these will be there to try.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Swung the new lineup at PGATSS. They don't have the CB/MB in stock for purchase but they have the demo heads. Surprised to see that I wasn't getting a ton of spin with them. Hitting 7-iron in all 3 clubs I was spinning less than 5k. I really don't like the hitting bay setup at that store so maybe there's something to that, but still surprising nonetheless. My gamer was spinning at 6400 on average during my last TrackMan session.

I was also surprised to see how much trouble I had making contact with the shaft the store clerk tossed in there for me - Modus Tour 120. Starting to wonder if I just respond well to heavy shafts? I've almost always gamed the standard DG Gold in S300 before buying my Bridgestones with X100s. According to True Temper's site the S300 and X100 both weigh in at 130g. 

Another note... Looked briefly at the new TaylorMade irons and was stunned at the butterknife profile of those things. Definitely places the Cobras more in my window than just about anything else. Need to give Srixon a hard look though. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that these keep coming to mind for me. I really hope I can find some to test...

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 1/12/2023 at 6:40 PM, chisag said:

... I really want to just keep playing my MIM's. I really do. But who am I kidding? 🤪  I should have a set by March and will do a complete write up as well as follow up after playing them awhile. 

... Well my Cobra Iron run has come to an end. My King Tours arrived and I was a little shocked to see how much offset they had. Technically they spec exactly the same as my MIM Tours but visually due to a change in the hosel transition it looks like MUCH more offset. For some reason Cobra did not use the same flat hosel grind they have on every iron since the Amp Forged that was just about perfect and went to a more bulbous hosel that accentuates the transition and is quite distracting. Then the hosel blend into the heel is also designed to make the offset more noticeable. Visually the Forged Tec look to have much less offset which is a real head scratcher. Clearly this is done on purpose and I imagine Cobra will lose quite a few that loved their Players Irons for the last 5 generations. It was a good run! 

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Well my Cobra Iron run has come to an end. My King Tours arrived and I was a little shocked to see how much offset they had. Technically they spec exactly the same as my MIM Tours but visually due to a change in the hosel transition it looks like MUCH more offset. For some reason Cobra did not use the same flat hosel grind they have on every iron since the Amp Forged that was just about perfect and went to a more bulbous hosel that accentuates the transition and is quite distracting. Then the hosel blend into the heel is also designed to make the offset more noticeable. Visually the Forged Tec look to have much less offset which is a real head scratcher. Clearly this is done on purpose and I imagine Cobra will lose quite a few that loved their Players Irons for the last 5 generations. It was a good run! 

Wow - it's that noticeable that you can't even entertain the idea of playing them?  That's pretty intense.  Are you keeping the MIM's, in that case, or are you going to search for something else? 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Wow - it's that noticeable that you can't even entertain the idea of playing them?  That's pretty intense.  Are you keeping the MIM's, in that case, or are you going to search for something else? 

... For sure and I sent them back. To be fair I am pretty picky about offset and hosel grinds. Imo Cobra did it better than anyone since they introduced their Amp Forged. I will be sticking with my MIM's. I really wanted to compare the King Tour 5 step forging to the metal injection molding process and also liked the idea of a slightly shorter heel to toe length but they look very similar in that regard. Happy with my MIM's but I am always looking. 🤪  

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the best iron line release this year. The King tours are fantastic. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 3/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, chisag said:

... For sure and I sent them back. To be fair I am pretty picky about offset and hosel grinds. Imo Cobra did it better than anyone since they introduced their Amp Forged. I will be sticking with my MIM's. I really wanted to compare the King Tour 5 step forging to the metal injection molding process and also liked the idea of a slightly shorter heel to toe length but they look very similar in that regard. Happy with my MIM's but I am always looking. 🤪  

Bit of a long shot but any chance you snapped a pic of the differences looking down at MIM/Amp Forged/Forged Tour etc. vs. King Tour? I didn't see anything objectionable looking down at the Tours but didn't hold them side by side with any other comparable Cobra model and I would be curious just to see what your eye is drawn to. 

14 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Bit of a long shot but any chance you snapped a pic of the differences looking down at MIM/Amp Forged/Forged Tour etc. vs. King Tour? I didn't see anything objectionable looking down at the Tours but didn't hold them side by side with any other comparable Cobra model and I would be curious just to see what your eye is drawn to. 

... I did not take pictures of the King Tours and to be fair the offset is noticeable but I would not call it objectionable. Considering I am happy with my MIM Tours and have looked down at them for 600 rounds or more and the website lists the offset as exactly the same, I was just disappointed in how they looked visually. I think it is more the hosel grind than the offset and I have little doubt after playing them a few weeks I would have gotten used to them, especially after bending them 1* weak. But irons are silly expensive these days and I did not want to spend over $1000 on irons that didn't look just right to my admittedly overly picky eye. That said I have second guessed my decision every time I see them on the shelf. 🤪  I have posted this picture before but the MIM Tours "seem" to have almost zero offset due to an amazing hosel grind and the best I have ever seen:

MIM7iron.jpg.d7dd36b6bd3ea21047669a5624b1d608.jpg

17 hours ago, chisag said:

... I did not take pictures of the King Tours and to be fair the offset is noticeable but I would not call it objectionable. Considering I am happy with my MIM Tours and have looked down at them for 600 rounds or more and the website lists the offset as exactly the same, I was just disappointed in how they looked visually. I think it is more the hosel grind than the offset and I have little doubt after playing them a few weeks I would have gotten used to them, especially after bending them 1* weak. But irons are silly expensive these days and I did not want to spend over $1000 on irons that didn't look just right to my admittedly overly picky eye. That said I have second guessed my decision every time I see them on the shelf. 🤪  I have posted this picture before but the MIM Tours "seem" to have almost zero offset due to an amazing hosel grind and the best I have ever seen:

Thanks - Agreed that the MIM hosel grind is a 10! I really wanted those to be my winners when I bought my last set as they seemed like the big chrome brother of my beloved King Forged CBs, but I just didn't love the feel of them outside of the direct center of the sweet spot. In testing the new Tour 7i, the feel across the face is more suited to my ears/hands.