Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Desperate!!! Help with chipping and putting yips!!

Hey Spy’s!

Looking for ANY help with the yips. I have just about exhausted the yip cure content in the YouTube video vault and can’t find anything that helps. I will practice and something feels great, go to the course and it crashes as soon as I hit one bad chip or putt. 
Was scratch 15 years ago, now 66 years old and a 7 hdcp. Could easily be close to scratch again if I was just average around and on the greens. I’m on the verge of quitting due to frustration

As an example, played yesterday. Hit 13 out of 14 fairways. Only hit 11 GIR but the 7 missed greens were missed within 10-20 ft. Missed 4 birdie putts inside 10’, 2 putted for my only birdie. Only got up and down once and made one double due to hitting one chip 2 feet! 
HELP!!!

left out my 3 three putt greens….😢

Edited by Rix

Cobra Darkspeed 9* Driver, 47” long, Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Cobra Speedzone 14.5* fairway metal, Fujikura Atmos R shaft, +2”

Titleist 818 hybrids 21*, 23*, 25* Tensei blue hybrid shafts R flex, +2”

Cobra Forged Tec (2021) 6-PW, AeroTech SteelFiber I80 R, +2”

Titleist Vokey wedges, SM9 48*, 52*, 56* all +2”

Putter, LAB broomstick, DF2.1, 45”- 79.5*

this is one of the best short game videos I've ever seen (and I watch A LOT of youtube vids!)

also a tip I heard that's worked for me is try 'softening' your left arm. 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Difficult to provide meaningful advice since we don't know what's causing your issues, just like your search of YT found many "solutions".  Rather than ask us; ask your pro.  

However, most people tend to "flip" their chip/pitches, myself included, because we release full shots so many times before we get the green and that feel continues into short game shots.  I'm sure you have practiced these shots over and over, but out on the course, you get one opportunity and it's difficult to mentally pull off the practiced shot.

Personally, I like a more Steve Stricker minimal wrist shot rather than a Phil Mickelson hinge and hold shot.  It's more repeatable for me.  Rather than swinging the club through delicate short shots, I've found that soft hands and allowing gravity to start the downswing produces good shots when I use the bounce of the club.  I play a 60º with 12º bounce off firm turf for most shots around the green.  I am working on incorporating a putting stroke with my 48º PW when near the green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Difficult to provide meaningful advice since we don't know what's causing your issues, just like your search of YT found many "solutions".  Rather than ask us; ask your pro.  

However, most people tend to "flip" their chip/pitches, myself included, because we release full shots so many times before we get the green and that feel continues into short game shots.  I'm sure you have practiced these shots over and over, but out on the course, you get one opportunity and it's difficult to mentally pull off the practiced shot.

Personally, I like a more Steve Stricker minimal wrist shot rather than a Phil Mickelson hinge and hold shot.  It's more repeatable for me.  Rather than swinging the club through delicate short shots, I've found that soft hands and allowing gravity to start the downswing produces good shots when I use the bounce of the club.  I play a 60º with 12º bounce off firm turf for most shots around the green.  I am working on incorporating a putting stroke with my 48º PW when near the green.

Raymond Floyd told Tiger in this video to get the heel as high as you can when chipping. Sound advice that I've tried and it works; but I agree with @Kenny B, hard to problem solve without knowing what's causing the problem

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Had this issue chipping a few years back. No advice on putting but as for chipping get the planemate. Even if you just use the first few protocols for chipping it works wonders. I still use it as a muscle memory for chipping, works great.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 hours ago, Rix said:

Missed 4 birdie putts inside 10’, 2 putted for my only birdie. Only got up and down once and made one double due to hitting one chip 2 feet! 

Because I’m no psychologist, one thing to consider is that PGA pros only make 40% of 10’ putts and 23% from 15’. A scratch golfer makes about 30% of 10’ putts. https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-stats-behind-a-scratch-golfer

Maybe your expectations are too high? Have you tried tracking your stats with a strokes gained app like golf metrics to see where everything lines up?

this was a good listen too:

https://golfsciencelab.com/the-yips/

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

1st.  I feel your pain.

Not sure what the issue exactly is but when I have had this problem, I have made sure to put my hands on the club in a putting grip even for pitches from inside 50 yards as well as chip shots.  I also exaggerate the putting grip to have my club grip as far toward my thumb pads as possible that way the wrists don’t break down the last element is to keep the club heel off the ground and to keep my arms tight to my torso.  It’s much like the Peter finch video cited above.  I review that video when I start to stumble.  Helps me a lot.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Hey Rix, 

I can totally sympathize with you. I feel like I was in that same position last year where all I could seem to do was blade my 60 over the green every time. For me, I did a few things:

1. I bought a new wedge. Now this might not work for everyone but for some reason, I think the mental change of finding a better wedge that I loved just changed everything for me! (I needed a change badly, I found out the bounce on my prior club was way too low)

2. I am someone who suffers from BIG mental issues on the course so I found the video below the BIGGEST help for me. 

3. I then just practiced my wedges for a week straight following what was taught in the video. 

I am in no way a professional but more than happy to share some things that have helped me. I hope any of the above help you!

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

My best advice would be to make your chipping simpler.  Probably use a less lofted club,  take your wrists out of it and choke down.

If I'm just off the green, I'm taking basically a putter stroke,  keeping the heel of the club high(as mentioned above). And I'm using just enough loft to carry the ball onto the edge of the green and roll out from there. 

It's a lot harder to screw up a PW or 8i bump and run than a 56 or 60 fly to the hole.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

10 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

My best advice would be to make your chipping simpler.  Probably use a less lofted club,  take your wrists out of it and choke down.

If I'm just off the green, I'm taking basically a putter stroke,  keeping the heel of the club high(as mentioned above). And I'm using just enough loft to carry the ball onto the edge of the green and roll out from there. 

It's a lot harder to screw up a PW or 8i bump and run than a 56 or 60 fly to the hole.

Thanks…already do this when possible but has gotten so bad that I can’t even control it using a six iron. Go to shot for decades was using an eight iron to carry the ball just on then roll like putt….

25 minutes ago, Chris Binnie said:

Hey Rix, 

I can totally sympathize with you. I feel like I was in that same position last year where all I could seem to do was blade my 60 over the green every time. For me, I did a few things:

1. I bought a new wedge. Now this might not work for everyone but for some reason, I think the mental change of finding a better wedge that I loved just changed everything for me! (I needed a change badly, I found out the bounce on my prior club was way too low)

2. I am someone who suffers from BIG mental issues on the course so I found the video below the BIGGEST help for me. 

3. I then just practiced my wedges for a week straight following what was taught in the video. 

I am in no way a professional but more than happy to share some things that have helped me. I hope any of the above help you!

Thanks. I started watching this but could only take so much of Frankie….😳 I might revisit it again though. Wedges are Vokey SM8 & 9’s with 10-12* bounce. I’d be hard pressed to change away from Titleist

3 minutes ago, Rix said:

Thanks. I started watching this but could only take so much of Frankie….😳 I might revisit it again though. Wedges are Vokey SM8 & 9’s with 10-12* bounce. I’d be hard pressed to change away from Titleist

Yeah, I can understand that. I tended to just ignore Frankie and focus on the Psychologist haha. I loved what he said though about calming yourself down by how you do your pre-shot routine, and he later on talks about rethinking how you approach your approach shots haha. Yeah, I don't blame you about the wedges. With you having been in the "scratch" handicap world I would be hard-pressed to give you any explicit technical advice. For me personally, I had to start changing my mind because I knew I had the technique I just needed to change how I thought about it.

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

4 hours ago, AndySP said:

Because I’m no psychologist, one thing to consider is that PGA pros only make 40% of 10’ putts and 23% from 15’. A scratch golfer makes about 30% of 10’ putts. https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/the-stats-behind-a-scratch-golfer

Maybe your expectations are too high? Have you tried tracking your stats with a strokes gained app like golf metrics to see where everything lines up?

this was a good listen too:

https://golfsciencelab.com/the-yips/

Thanks for the input. My expectations aren’t very high. From where I hit it on a decent day, I could substitute a 10 handicap golfer from 10 feet from the green and in and they would shoot 75 or better 90% of the time. My short game and putting handicap is 15+. I know how to shoot decent scores, I’ve been there. With the yips, it just isn’t possible and I’m about to quit….

2 minutes ago, Chris Binnie said:

Yeah, I can understand that. I tended to just ignore Frankie and focus on the Psychologist haha. I loved what he said though about calming yourself down by how you do your pre-shot routine, and he later on talks about rethinking how you approach your approach shots haha. Yeah, I don't blame you about the wedges. With you having been in the "scratch" handicap world I would be hard-pressed to give you any explicit technical advice. For me personally, I had to start changing my mind because I knew I had the technique I just needed to change how I thought about it.

I think that is the hardest part to accept. I KNOW WHAT TO DO, but don’t physically make myself do it when it matters. I can practice a new thought and feel and it goes great. I can putt on a chalk line or my RainDrop putting line and make 7/10, 8/10 10 foot putts. Get me on the course and I may start with a couple decent strokes (or chips) but then hit one questionable one and my mind goes crazy. Sucks so bad…

42 minutes ago, Rix said:

Thanks…already do this when possible but has gotten so bad that I can’t even control it using a six iron. Go to shot for decades was using an eight iron to carry the ball just on then roll like putt….

Hrmmmm. You might be beyond hope.  😀

Have you tried the ping chpr?

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Try “heads up” putting - looking at the target instead of the ball.  Helps with yips and might help everyone with speed control. I haven’t tried it with chipping but it might work with that too. 

feels strange at first, but trust me, you won’t miss the ball. 

Driver: Tour Edge E722

Fairway Woods: Callaway Epic Flash

Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Sub 70

Putter: Sik Flo

Speaking from personal experience, you’re never fully ‘cured’ but you can put the yips into remission. 

Regarding putting, two things that have helped with me.  1 - see above about heads up putting. This is huge.   2 - try lead hand low or claw/pencil grip. 

As far as chipping goes, try hitting a bunch of chips using only your right hand. Just let the weight of the club fall and be nice and fluid, then the proper release just happens. This will get you engaging the bounce properly. Then try to keep that same feeling with two hands on the club. 

one more thing I’ll add, and this is harder to achieve - you have to not care as much.   I bet you don’t yip as much or even at all when you’re just practicing.  Need to find a way to take that to the course.   There’s no silver bullet, but for me it was a combination of things.  One, my kids got older and I was able to play more rounds.  This made each round seem a little less important and I played more ‘just for fun’ rounds with less pressure.  Two, I had a few bad things happen in my real life that put things in perspective and made me realize how unimportant a golf shot is in the grand scheme of things.   Maybe for some people meditation would help, I’m sure it’s different for everyone.  But for me anyway, the yips were stress/pressure induced, and learning how not to give a sh** really helped.

20 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I think it’s such an individual thing. For me trying to take the wrists out of it would make it worse.  I’ve struggled a bit with this over the years, and I’d rather hit a half swing pitch shot than a no-wrist chip. Anything that’s overly trying to control the clubface is worse than just letting it flow (for me). 

• 1 month later...

this is a weekly watch for me.... so so good. the techniques he covers in here are eye-opening...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

On 4/26/2023 at 2:51 PM, Thin2win said:

This has been my approach as well. practicing this is a much overlooked skill that can really drop handicaps.

New Year- same crappy swing

hold the grip much lighter - a 3 instead of an 8 or 9, very light thumb pressure.

rotate, rotate, rotate - left shoulder up and around

elbows tight to your chest, left flared and pivot around

think: soft, relaxed, finesse - you don't want to drive the ball like a regular shot - use the bounce and try to hit behind the ball - it's okay to flip this shot

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully you've found your cure by now, but in case you haven't I figured I'd add something to the pot. 

For putting, have you tried the yardstick drill before? Having a flat metal yardstick and having to put from one end of it to the other without it falling off to either side. If you don't want to spend the dollar on the yardstick, you can also just put a piece of blue/black tape on the ground for your distance (this is also more preferable later on when you're working on longer distance putts). This drill helps you truly lock down your ability to hit a straight put. But it also helps you mentally gain confidence in your putting knowing that you're now just focusing on distance and break. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 7 months later...

I've long suffered from the chipping Yips (20+ years).  At this point, they're mostly cured, but still creep up from time to time.  The best drills I've found are:

1)  Trail hand only chipping (right hand for righties).  Focus on keeping your chest 1-2" ahead of the ball and let the club swing.  Really feel the weight of the head.  I've actually used this technique during a round many times when the yips have been at their worst.  

2)  Practice chipping and say (out loud) "1" when the club is at the top of the backswing and "2" when the club is completely through the follow through.  Important to focus on getting the timing right on when you say "1" and '2".   This drill broadens your focus away from the ball - that's the bane of chip yippers; we focus too much on the ball and contact.

3)  Practice chipping with a ball about 2 feet ahead of the ball you're hitting and another ball about 2 feet behind the ball you're chipping.  Make sure you see both the forward and the backward ball in your peripheral vision while you hit the target ball.  Again, this broadens your focus and eliminates for excess focus on the ball and contact.

4) Hit several chips and focus entirely on the target you've picked out for the ball to land.  No thoughts on technique, tempo, etc. - simply become 100% target focused for your landing spot.

Hope these drills help.  I've actually been close to quitting the game a few times due to the chipping yips and have played 50+ years.

Here is a link to a video that I think is great for chipping yips.  Hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=drills+to+stop+the+chipping+yips&rlz=1C1JSBI_enUS1080US1080&oq=drills+to+stop+the+chipping+yips&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIICAEQABgWGB4yDQgCEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyDQgDEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyDQgEEAAYhgMYgAQYigXSAQg0ODQwajBqNKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:a8e323f3,vid:YPsXjIUTFjg,st:0

On 6/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, MNUte said:

Hopefully you've found your cure by now, but in case you haven't I figured I'd add something to the pot. 

For putting, have you tried the yardstick drill before? Having a flat metal yardstick and having to put from one end of it to the other without it falling off to either side. If you don't want to spend the dollar on the yardstick, you can also just put a piece of blue/black tape on the ground for your distance (this is also more preferable later on when you're working on longer distance putts). This drill helps you truly lock down your ability to hit a straight put. But it also helps you mentally gain confidence in your putting knowing that you're now just focusing on distance and break. 

This is a great drill and one I use a lot for practicing at home.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 4/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, Kenny B said:

@Rix, Kenny's recommendation is spot on. A 30 min lesson plus lots of practice will result in heaps more progress than trying lots of different recommendation without understanding what the issue is. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart