Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The best ball?

... Always an interesting topic with no right or wrong answers. That said, I play 5 times a week on average. I will probably lose 1 to 2 balls a week but the desert chews up covers so I start every round with a new ball. 7 balls a week adds up but I am not going to compromise performance for cost, but I will always consider cost with performance. I tied my low round of 66 with a Bridgestone RX when I won several dozen and really don't like that ball for several reasons, which just goes to show if you are in the right ball park for a ball that fits your game and playing your best, quite a few of them will work. 

... For me, the Maxfli Tour checks all the boxes for what I want in my golf ball. I did some ball to ball testing with a ProV1 last year and performance was virtually identical for me. So at $30 a dozen compared to $54 a dozen for ProV1's (almost double the price) the choice is pretty easy. Adding to the mix, I just picked up the *new* Kirkland V3 ball and have been surprised by how well it performs. I will wait for testing from MGS as to the consistency and quality but at $14 a dozen I have a feeling this ball may create a golf forum frenzy close to the original Tour Performance 4 piece ball. 

... All that said, if someone gave me a dozen Z Star, TP5's or Snell Prime balls, I would play them and probably not even n notice I am playing a different ball. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Titleist has to be the Model for consistency and considered the top, even if many others perform similarly.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've been a Maxfli guy all the way back to the HT Balata.  Currently game the Tour X, for the money I don't think it can be beat.  Having said that every company has a competitive tour ball.  If someone else is paying I'll be a Pro v1x left dash fan boy.  

Ping G410 LST Oban Kiyoshi white 65x 

3w Cobra fly z speeder 661 stiff 

4-P Mizuno jpx 800 pro project X 6.5

Vokey spin mill 52, 56, 60 project X 6.0

Odyssey ten triple track

On 5/4/2023 at 8:19 AM, Tsecor said:

Titleist Prov1, X, AVX and Left Dash are the "BEST" balls on the market......

And that's fine. Does not mean it is "BEST" for me......

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

For me, it has been the Bridgestone e6. I have been playing pretty consistently since it was released years ago. I have done Bridgestone ball fittings as well and have tried others in their line (big fan of the B RX) but for me as a mid handicapper, the e6 is cost efficient and has a pretty straight ball flight. I do love reading the Golf Spy articles on every ball that is released and I've been down the rabbit hole on most of them.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 Degree

TaylorMade Stealth 3-wood

Cobra King SpeedZone 5-wood

Nike Pro Combo 4-PW 

Callaway JAWS 50 & 54

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey 2-Ball DFX Mallet

Play the Tour B RXS.  I absolutely love the amount of spin it gives me around the green.  I just wish they were flipping cheaper.

Can we all agree 50.00 a dozen is just f****** stupid and we gotta stop rewarding that pricing?  Like come on... I digress though.

Just tried the q star tour divides and quite liked them off the tee and deck, but felt they didnt have quite enough spin and did feel harder on contact around the greens.

I have unfortunately shot my lowest scores with the RXS so I think im just screwed.

Either way I just consider it golf ammo.  Yeah ima lose em eventually.  I dont get mad at the bullets I shoot at the range for being gone.

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

It's completely personal preference, but I do believe in playing the same ball all the time so you at least have an idea of what the ball does for flight, greenside spin, etc.

I play the TP5; it's a quality golf ball that for the most part is pretty durable. I've tried a number of golf balls in the past but nothing has compared to the TP5. I would say if I run out of balls and have to get something else it would be ProV1.

I would say for someone on a budget or new to golf, VICE golf balls are quality for the price you pay for them. 

RD12

12 hours ago, chisag said:

... Always an interesting topic with no right or wrong answers. That said, I play 5 times a week on average. I will probably lose 1 to 2 balls a week but the desert chews up covers so I start every round with a new ball. 7 balls a week adds up but I am not going to compromise performance for cost, but I will always consider cost with performance. I tied my low round of 66 with a Bridgestone RX when I won several dozen and really don't like that ball for several reasons, which just goes to show if you are in the right ball park for a ball that fits your game and playing your best, quite a few of them will work. 

... For me, the Maxfli Tour checks all the boxes for what I want in my golf ball. I did some ball to ball testing with a ProV1 last year and performance was virtually identical for me. So at $30 a dozen compared to $54 a dozen for ProV1's (almost double the price) the choice is pretty easy. Adding to the mix, I just picked up the *new* Kirkland V3 ball and have been surprised by how well it performs. I will wait for testing from MGS as to the consistency and quality but at $14 a dozen I have a feeling this ball may create a golf forum frenzy close to the original Tour Performance 4 piece ball. 

... All that said, if someone gave me a dozen Z Star, TP5's or Snell Prime balls, I would play them and probably not even n notice I am playing a different ball. 

This is the same reason I switched from the Pro V1 to the Z-Star. Between the BOGOs and previous generation mark downs I can find the Zs for around $35 a dozen regularly. I found that the Z is actually a little longer off the driver for me and the approach/short game performance is identical. This definetly checks all the boxes. I'd still take ProVs as a gift, but I'm not spending my own money on them.

I've tried the X balls from Titleist, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, and Srixon. And while those are supposed to fit my game better, they are just too inconsistent in the approach/short game. Yes, they are a bit longer off the driver, but too unreliable around the green. Full shots and chips just didn't do what I wanted them to. Lots of release and run out, but every couple rounds I would actually get them to rip back on approaches. I did have a sleeve of MTB-X and those performed consistently, so if I wanted to switch to X, I would go with Snell. I also tried the AVX, and that is the longest ball I've hit, but totally uncontrollable around the green. 

Over the winter I did get a dozen Z Diamonds to try out, so looking forward to that. At this point, I'm figuring I am just one of the higher swing speed players that needs/wants a little more spin. And I am ok with that.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I would not have given the Vice Pro a chance if not for the MGS testing and chart, and I really like the ball.  I'm on my second season playing them, bought 12 dozen at the beginning of this season when they had the 5+1 deal going.  Cost is definitely an issue for me, so I can't say I wouldn't be playing a Titleist if price has no impact on the decision.  Loving the value of the Vice Pro.

"The best part about golf is the community that it creates. It brings people together, no matter their age, background, or skill level." - Jack Nicklaus

Driver: Ping G425 Max

3W: Ping G30

3i Hybrid: Ping G400

Irons: TaylorMade Rocketbladez

Wedges: 52 & 56 SM9, 62 SM7

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Ball: Vice Pro

On 5/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, Sarahanne said:

What is the best ball you’ve used? Do you think cost has an impact on the ball type?

Any 3 piece urethane is the best ball for the money, as long as the one you choose comes from a manufacturer with good quality control.  Personally I have liked the ones Taylormade has made for the last 10 years or so.  Enough layers to give you distance and spin around the greens.

Callaway Epic Max LS Driver 9°

Callaway Epic Speed 3 Wood 15°

Callaway Epic Super 3 Hybrid 19°

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Forged 2° Up

Titleist Vokey Wedges

Odyssey O-Works R-Line Putter

Here we go! Again, as someone said, no right or wrong answers here! If you play a lot of golf, and your game IS where you want it to be, and you don't really lose a lot of golf balls, by all means, play the best ball for you! Even if it's $55 a box!! Me, I don't play that much, and still lose a few a round, a lot sometimes. And being a 20+ capper, I an NOT spending that kind of dough to hit it where I won't find it, which happens, a lot sometimes. If and when I CAN get my game to the point of NOT losing a dozen premium balls over 4-5 rounds, I WILL play that better ball. I play a decent 2-piece ball, that keeps me in the fairway for the most part, and has decent manners around the green. And, what is funny, I don't seem to be losing these as fast as when I put a better ball in play. A urethane cover ball just has too much spin for me off the driver! I really would like to play this type of ball, just need to find one THAT I can keep on the fairway. Still looking, and experimenting with different balls of this type. Would really like to play a 3-piece, for the ability to hold a green on a 150 approach shot. And how about stop and hop from 50 in! Plenty to look at and put in play. I don't need any suggestions, as I move along in my search. I play my 2-piece mostly, and pick up a dozen of something 3-piece,  and put it in play during a round, to see IF it will work for me. Went to GolfTec in March for some swing corrections, and now just need to get out there to work them in my game..I will be purchasing $40-50 golf balls this year, and when I find the "ONE", it will be my gamer...

Edited by drb1956

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Bridgestone Tour XS. 
XS gives great distance and with the approach shots, the ball shines. XS holds the greens and short-game spin, you can run it, spin it, and have no fear over green side bunkers. 
Nice feel off the putter. Your GIR will increase with this ball. Note: I have played just about all the major brands, Tour, and Tour X offerings. 

I have switched recently. For a long time I played the z star xv but recently went to the avx and have been very happy. I think there are sO many balls out there you just need to try some and figure out what works best for you though. My group hated the z star balls. But I’m not crazy about the tp5 a few of them play. 

I have to say- I tried the PXG Balls this spring - they are fantastic.  I usually play the ProV, but I seem to have more distance and control with the PXG. It's a clean looking ball and $10 cheaper. It's just my opinion obviously,  but I'm sticking with the PXG this year.

20230415_142159.jpg

FORE!

Have always been a fan of ProV1, Callaway Chrome Soft, Srixon Z series. Yes cost does factor in somewhat, I actually used to use the old Titlest NXT's, they weren't quite as good as a ProV, but performed really well for almost $20 doz. less. I normally would play them on unfamiliar courses away from my home course. Currently I play the Vice Pro soft. It performs just like the Callawaychrome Soft, at a much cheaper price point. Also love the cool colors.

Over the past 20 years, it’s hard to argue against the ProV1, and I have played quite a few of them. Lately, I have been alternating between the Maxfli Tour X and the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS. Oft mentioned and I’ll repeat, it really boils down to comfort and preference. If you believe a certain ball is best for your game and will play better, then it will. Confidence and self-belief are so crucial to a good golf game. 

The cost piece of this is relative and can only be answered by the individual, for the individual. For me, I don’t mind paying for premium balls, as I rarely go through more than a sleeve in any given round and lately I often finish with the same ball I started with. If I were burning through a dozen a round, my perspective would be radically different.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

As a high handicapper, I purchased 12 dozen of the Z-Star practice balls a while back and they have been great.  I draw an alignment line of the word "practice" and am good to go.  Unfortunately, I don't think they are available anymore.  I was paying about $72 for 6 dozen, so $12 a dozen.  

I've been playing the Srixon Z-Star XV for the last year or so and have been really impressed.  Its long, has a soft and consistent feel and sound around the greens and great spin control.  I have not switched to the 2023 model yet and am stocking up on the 2 dozen packs of the previous model they are selling at a nice discount right now

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 4 w/ Tensi AV White 75 X-Stiff

3 Wood: Ping i25 w/ Ping PWR 75 Tour X-Stiff

2 Iron: Taylormade 770 w/ MMT 105 Stiff

4-5 Iron: Callaway Rogue ST Pro w/ Modus 120 X-Stiff

6-9 Iron: PXG 311 ST w/ Elevate Tour v2 Stiff

46 Degree: Vokey SM8 F Grind

50 Degree: Mizuno T22 D Grind

54 Degree: Mizuno T22 D Grind

60 Degree: Vokey SM9 M Grind

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 1.5+

I played my best (7hcp) about 10 years ago using a the cheapest Wilson ball there was at the time. $7.99 per dozen.

Now I use the new Maxfli balls. I play just one brand of ball trying to remove that variable. I don't think it makes a lot of difference if you are a double digit player

Driver        Ping G430

Fairway      Ping G400

Hybrid       Ping G400    

Irons          Mizuno 921

wedges      Titlest Vokey

Putter         ER8

In my opinion the best ball is unique to an individual's swing characteristics, playing conditions (how windy is it when you usually play for example), what you like off the putter/wedges and budget. 

I currently like MaxFli Tour and ProV1x left dash. My favorite way back (90s or early 2000s?) was NXT Tour before they changed the formula.  Now with soft putter inserts I like a firmer ball and I find a lower spin ball works best for my swing.  I like the feel of the ProV1x but was spinning the ball too much and tried the ProV1x Left Dash about 6 weeks ago and fell in love.  So right now I am sticking with it.  My only doubt is that it may not spin enough - we'll see how it goes when the greens are really firm this summer.  I may use the regular ProV1x then.

I find the price is less important the better my swing is working because then I retire the balls when they are damaged instead of losing them.  $5 a ball over three or four rounds doesn't bother me; $5 over three or four holes is a different story.

I went on a ball testing journey a couple of years ago and found that I don't like soft balls with my current equipment so I stuck to firmer feeling balls and then narrowed it down to what worked with my swing and arsenal of shots.  I did a full swing rebuild over the winter and that may also influence the ball characteristics I choose to play as the year goes on.

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Regular
:ping-small: G425 3Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 7 - Regular

:ping-small: G425 5i-PW (bent to old school lofts, similar to Ping's Retro Spec) - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:ping-small: G425 50* wedge - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 56* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Black
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 7S, Garsen Quad Tour non-tapered grip
Titleist ProV1x Left Dash
Shot Scope X5 watch; Bushnell Pro X2 Range Finder

I use the ball that is the best value and absolutely different from the others players' ball in the group. It's the Srixon Q Star Tour Divide- red/yellow.  90% of my golf are sanctioned tourneys, and you would be amazed at the # of competitors who remark: Wow, I can follow that ball with ease!  EXACTLY why I use it, no doubt about identification, both in air and on ground. The urethane finish makes it a value.

The original Clear sports golf ball 3 peace. It cost around 58.00 a dozen + shipping. I have not played the new ones as of yet.

Taylormade driver Sldr stiff D9+ custom shaft SST pure

3,4,5, Tour Edge hyb reg. 60 gram.

Mzunio 921 fourged 5-G  D2 5.5 flex

Titleist wedges 54 58 D5 Nippon SST pure

Evnroll putter

first in April to Sept. Clear ball the original. second Prov 1

off season Vice tour plus

Loving the B-XS right now. I wholeheartedly agree with the standard MGS position that "feel shouldn't take priority over performance" and I'd like to think I would always choose the better performing piece of equipment over the better feeling one. However, as long as performance IS equal or better, which I think it is, I love the muted sound and the soft feel of the B-XS as opposed to the more clicky sound and harsher feel of the ProV. The short game control is fantastic. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik w/VA Composites Drago 55

3-Wood: Callaway Epic w/VA Composites Drago 65

3-4 Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha (off the rack...gasp)

Irons 5-P: Sub-70 659 CB w/ Nippon 950GH Stiff

Wedges: Sub-70 286 50,54, Vokey 58 12.D, all with w/ Nippon 950GH Stiff

Putter: Odyssey Rossie OG

For my slower swing speed my favorite ball is the Taylormade tour response. I actually use the stripe version of this ball. It’s soft enough that it gets me off the tee and does provide some amount of spin for chip shots. Some people don’t, but I personally like the stripe especially for putting. It can be offputting in the fairway with the stripe lying sideways, but I have learned to not let it bother me. I think, feel and performance outweigh cost I know that the testing shows that regardless of Ability the pro V one may be the best, but I’m sticking with the tour response   

Edited by Fyrmedic
Wrong company

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

I play 3 balls and no particular order…

Chrome Soft

AVX

ProV1

used to play Oncore Elixir and Snell MTB Black.  Just wanted better shot stopping so switched it up a bit.  Not sure if seeing much difference though, except for the ProV1.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

On 5/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, Sarahanne said:

What is the best ball you’ve used? Do you think cost has an impact on the ball type?

Yes; cost is definitely a factor. I don't lose that many balls but I also think some balls are overpriced.

Best - Titleist Pro v1.

Most cost effective that are as close to the Pv1 that I play - Maxfli Tour X, Snell MTB X

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024: