How many wedges are in your bag?

HotIce

Got new Mizuno irons a few years back and the Pitching Wedge has 44 degrees of loft.  The matching Gap Wedge has 48 degrees.  I added Vokey Wedges with 52 and 56 degrees of loft.

Ping G430 Max Driver

:callaway-small: Rogue 5 wood

:callaway-small: Rogue 7 wood

:mizuno-small: Irons Hot Metal Pro 4 - G

:titleist-small: Wedges 52 and 56

:ping-small: Putter Fetch

I have 4, a 45 degree TM P790, a 50 and 55 Edison and a 60 Hogan.  Five degrees of separation is really good gapping for me.  I use them all nearly every round.  Six weeks ago I aced #11 at Compass Point with the 60 - jarred it right into the hole!  

:titelist-small: 913D (8.5), 913Fd (15), 913h (19) Diamana shafts

:taylormade-small:  P790 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 

:benhogan-small:TK-15 52,56,60 KBS Tour Wedge

:odyssey-small: O-Works Versa #2

Pro V1x, Vice Pro Plus

I used to have 3 + I also had a gap wedge in my set that was used a lot for short game too, so 4. That was a bit much, and i wanted to shed one to free up a slot in the bag. Now I have 

60, 56, 52 (all 3 cleveland cbx) and a 50 deg gap wedge in my iron set (used to be PXG 0311t, now Cobra King MB)
The 52 was unnecessary so I gave it away and now just have 3: 60cbx, 56cbx and my 50deg Cobra MB gap wedge. 

I don't miss the 52. I bought it 2.5y ago and it gapped nicely with an older set of irons where my set gap wedge was like 45 deg (Cobra Speedzone) but when I changed to the pxg and later my current Cobra MB with a 50 deg gap wedge, it really became too close/useless. 

WITB:

Driver: Rogue ST Max LS, tensei 1k white XS

3w: PXG gen5 XF

3h: PXG gen5 xf

4-g: Cobra King MB/CB flow set

56/60: cleveland cbx

Putter: odyssey backstryke marxman or cobra vintage nova depending on the day

Like others, I have a PW that is 43 degrees so it forced me to do a GW at 48. Aside from those, I have 3 wedges - 52, 56, 60. I generally found that accuracy, for me, is more important within 100 yards than over 210 yards so another wood or hybrid was just not a priority beyond my 3W and 3H (I end my irons at 5). 

Telling my wife to buy quality things over the years has paid off for my golf bag. 

Four besides my Srixon Z7 PW. Ben Hogan 50/54/58/62.  First 3 are the TX grind. I played Hogan since my first good set of irons I purchased. Was fitted for last set and went with Srixon. Went with the Hogan for wedges. Maybe a bit for nostalgia, but they’re good wedges. Always felt Hogan was best feeling and best looking irons. Probably 1 too many, as the  62 is either my favorite on a shot or ready to put in the garage in a corner on another.

I have 3 traditional wedges and an iron set pitching wedge. I consider that 3 wedges but ill share all 4 cause why not.

Srixon Zx5 Mk2 PW - thats used for anything 130-100ish because of poor gapping to my traditional wedges.

52 Jaws Raw - 100-80 club. Can stretch if I swing out of my shoes

56 Jaws Raw - Anything inside 80, farther bunker shots, fescue 

60 Jaws Raw - Greenside bunkers, shots I just barely cant putt, or if I need a club to blame for my poor performance

D - Callaway Ai Smoke Max 10.5
3W - Ping G430 Max
3H - Callaway Rogue ST Max
4-Pw - Srixon Zx5 MkII
Wedges - Callaway Jaws Raw 52/56/60
P - Odyssey White Hot OG doublewide blade
Ball - Wilson Triad
Lefty 

As of right now, I'm bagging THREE "set wedges" at 43, 48, and 53°--
essentially 8, 9, and PW when I first started to play golf.

My only "add-on" wedge is a 60-04 low bounce wedge
that doesn't work for me at all
either in greenside bunkers or for full shots.

I find it essential for short-sided finesse shots, chips, lobs, and flops, however.
It's both not versatile and essential at the same time.

Why is a short side finesse wedge so important to my game?

I am very conservative off the tee, pulling the head cover off my driver 
ONLY when I see wide open spaces into which I can hit.
I HATE taking myself out of a hole on the first shot.

If I'm conservative off the tee, the boldness has to be on my approach shot,
where being further out than those who successfully hit driver,
I may have to shoot at pins anyway in certain situations.

That results in short side misses, and I have to be better than my handicap level
at playing them.

I struggled to find the right wedge set up the last few years, but have settled into this:

1. Rogue ST Pro set-PW (Axiom 105X):  ... It's 43-degrees, so I really don't count it nor play it as a wedge, never use it around the green or for a controlled, flighted shot. It's really just a 10-iron in my set that I hit distances from 135-150. It makes for an interesting question: What is the definition of a wedge? 

2. Edison Forged 47-degree (MMT 125TX): 115-135. Very rarely used around the green. Nice flight and consistency. 

3. Edison Forged 51-degree (MMT 125TX): 90-115. Nice flight and consistency.  Used around the green when I want to hit a lower chip that will run more. 

4. PXG Sugar Daddy 54-degree (Modus 125 Wedge shaft, 10-bounce): It took me a long time to find a club for this spot.  Now, I use this for anything and everything under 90 yards.  This is something I've worked on a ton over the last year. I used to use a 58-60-degree more often for pitches, but I've gotten into Dan Grieve's instruction on the short game, and he instructs to use that higher loft wedge only in emergencies, like when there's no choice but to flop.  His reason is that using a lower loft like 54 or 56 provides more forgiveness and consistency if you use the releases that utilize the bounce, which is the core of his instruction.  And, I think he's right.  I practice this 54-degree probably more than any other club.  I practice it with pitching 40, 50, 60, 70 yards ... 80-90 is more of a full shot than a pitch.  When I say full shot, I don't mean going after it, I try to never really go after it with a wedge anymore.  I also use this for almost all chipping and varying the height and run of the chip with Dan's 3 releases. I also use it in the bunker.  I think this has helped get my contact, flight, and distance control of my chips to be more consistent.  I've historically been horrible at chipping. I'm still not good, but I've at least moved closer to average.  

5. PXG Sugar Daddy 58-degree (Aerotech steelfiber fc115cw, 7-bounce): I only use this when I need to go extra high around the green.  I'm confident it could be good and perform well with other things, but I'm sticking to my Dan-Grieve-plan. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

I have the following:

Mizuno JPX923 Forged PW bent to 45*

Mizuno JPX923 Forged GW bent to 50*

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Face Groove Wedge 56* bent to 55*, customized with Maize and Blue and Go Blue! stamped on it

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Face Groove Wedge 60*, customized with Red, White and Blue and stars stamped on it. 

Ron

I've been trying out wedges lately and currently using Performance Golf's one wedge system - even though it's 3 wedges (50, 56, 60).  They have a bit more bounce than I'm used to but are much heavier and I'm liking that so far.  We'll see if they stay in the bag.

RMosbey

"I never rooted against an opponent, but I never rooted for him either." - Arnold Palmer

TM 770 PW 46
TM 770 GW 51
Cleveland RTX6 SW 56
Cleveland RTX FullFace 2 60

Just ordered the Full-face to replace a 20 Yr. Old Cleveland 60, as the stopping power has been worn away.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

I used to have 4 with a Callaway Apex ‘19 set PW 43.5 degrees (130 yards) and Edison 2.0 49 (115 yards), 53 (100 yards) and 57 (85 yards).

When the Callaways left the bag for the Haywood CB/MB combo set, the gapping at the bottom of the bag was very different. So now I run 3 wedges. Haywood set PW 46 degrees (120 yards), Edison 51 (105 yards), Edison 57 (85 yards) and the gapping has worked well for me.

I can hit the 51 up to 110 if I crank it or in the 90s if needed. I play a variety of shots with the 51 or 57 if my yardage is 75-50 and have the “go low” or “go high” option between the 51 or 57 from 50 yards in. 57 is good out of the sand too.

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

I currently have the pitching and gap wedge that came with my iron set and a 54 and 58 degree Cleveland zipcore wedges

Srixon Driver ZX5 MkII 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 - Stiff

Srixon 3+ fairway - 13.5* (RH Only) UST Proforce V2 HL 6 - F3(R)

Srixon 5 - fairway 18* (RH Only) UST Proforce V2 HL 6 - F3(R)

Srixon 4 - hybrid UST Proforce V2 - F3(R)

Srixon ZX4 MkII irons - 5 - AW KBS MAX 65 - Regular

Cleveland CBX Zipcore wedges 54* and 58* Aerotech SteelFiber fc90cw - Regular

Cobra Agera 3D printed putter

On 8/28/2024 at 6:58 PM, RetiredBoomer said:

This year was a huge spending year for me, so it's not unlikely that I'm now done buying clubs forever.
I am if I have anything resembling a conscience.   
I'm not even reading ads for 2025 releases.

Anyway,
having established that I now need only three clubs longer than a 5-iron---
driver, driving iron, one fairway wood---
I have two different five-wedge setups from which to choose.
Neither includes "set wedges" as I only order irons down to the 9-iron.

Titleist SM10-F 46°       
Titleist SM10-F 50°
Titleist SM10-M 54°
Titleist SM10-T 58°
Titleist SM10-M 62°

Mizuno S-23 / S 46°
Mizuno S-23 / S 52°
Mizuno S-23 / C 58°
Cleveland Smart Sole Full Face  64° sand iron
Cleveland Smart Sole Full Face chipping iron

Definitely too many wedges,
and I have an equally indifferent short game with either setup.

The Vokeys are clearly a little better for playing finesse shots that I know how to make from experience
but do not have the athletic ability to repeat every time.
An experienced player of any level can just look at their sole grinds and know exactly what they're made to do.

The Mizuno/Cleveland mixed set is better for straightforward standard shots.
For the most basic chip or bunker shots,
the Clevelands are almost a cheat code, but they're one-trick ponies.

As for full shots, not that I'm even a feel player, really,
the Mizunos definitely feel the best on pured full shots.
As memory serves, it's just like how a bat feels when you hit a home run.
No sting in the slightest, and the ball feels soft and jumps like a tennis ball.

_________________________________________________________________________________

My active setup has changed radically since I offered this.
I was going through a personal crisis.

I'm now bagging 43, 48, and 53° SET WEDGES 
and a 60-04 low bounce finesse wedge.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

I game GI irons and use the set PW (43°) and GW (48°) regularly; in fact the GW is possibly my most used wedge. 

After that I carry 54 and 60. 54 would be my second most used around the greens and 60 is more of my escape a deep greenside bunker wedge.

Past few seasons these two wedges were Cleveland CBXs which are really really great wedges - especially blended with GI irons. This summer I saw a deal on a Mizuno ES21, tried it out and now a 54 and 60 are in the bag - these guys are flat out awesome for me!

Funny thing about the Mizunos - while the CBXs and the wedge set prior to that had graphite shafts .. the ES21s have KBS HiRev steel in them and I love the feel and response of these!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

Four

P is 43°

A is 49°

S is 56°

52° is going to be replaced with 60°

Epic Flash Driver 10.5 deg Project X Even Flow 5.0-A 45G

Epic Flash 3 wood 15 deg Project X Even Flow 5.0-A 65G

Epic Flash 5 wood 18 deg Project X Even Flow 5.0-A 55G

Epic Flash 7 wood 21 deg Project X Even Flow 5.0-A 65G

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tense AV 60 Flex - A 

TaylorMade Qi irons 5-A UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Sure Out 2 56 deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

Currently: 5
2 being in Mizuno 921 iron set: PW (44*), GW (49*),
TM MG original 56*,
Callaway SureOut 2 58* (didn't know how to play from the sand before purchasing),
and Mizuno T22 60*.
Notice the gap between current GW 49* and 56*. I'd like to fix this with the below scenario.

Strongly considering changing to the below after the TM HiToe 4's came out and now with all being 4* of difference:
PW: Mizuno 44*
GW: Mizuno 48* (bending down from 49*)
TM HiToe 4: 52* (What would this wedge be called???)
TM HiToe 4: 56* SW (and learning how to play from the sand with a real SW)
TM HiToe 4: 60* LW/2nd possible SW if needed.

Driver:         :titleist-small: TSR2 10.5*
FW wood:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3
Hybrid:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 Hybrid
Irons:           :mizuno-small:  JPX921 HM 5-GW
Wedges:      :taylormade-small: Black Milled Grind 56*, :callaway-small: Sure Out 2 58*, :mizuno-small: Blue T22 60*
Putter:         :odyssey-small: AI One Milled Eight T S
Ball:              :callaway-small:  Chrome Soft triple track 
Cart:              :Clicgear: 3.0 Pushcart
Shoes:           :footjoy-small: Premieres (So damn comfy) or 
adidas.jpg.68e67ffa35e40e0c3ad8be2ba26f3df3.jpg Tour360's 
Bag:                
AskEcho.jpg.d4dbb4965bf0480bbd5a3cff553f567f.jpg  2024 T-Lock Navy Grey (I love this thing) 

I carry four wedges, but the story is deeper than that.  I have a Garmin S62 Approach, and I use it religiously.  One thing the app tells you is average distances per club.  I'm now 68, and I've found that my longer clubs have really small gaps in distances.  I now carry a PXG driver, three Ping G430 SFT fairway woods (3-, 5- and now a 7-wood), then drop to PXG 5- and 6-hybrids.  If you don't carry a 6-hybrid, you are missing out.  LOVE that club.  That leaves me with PXG irons, and not many of them, with a 7. 8, 9 and PW.  I've added PXG Sugar Daddy II wedges in 50*, 56* and 60*.  These are fantastic wedges, and while my long game is not as long as it used to be, my short game is really good.  
As far as my long game goes, I once received a golf tip for distance that I'll share with you here.  Get a pencil so you can write it down, but ONLY if you truly want/need another 10-15 yards on your drives.  Ready?  Move up a box.  Yep, when your drives drop off it's time to move forward at tee box.  Maybe two.  

10 handicap, French Bulldog owner, Sports enthusiast 

I cary 4, the pitching wedge came with the Taylormade M2 irons. The others are a 52 and 56 deg Vokey SM7s and a 60 SM8. I love the 60 and use it a lot from @ 85 yards in, even though I am starting to learn that lower lofted club is easier and more consistant from the fringe or close to the green.