What kind of golf towel do you use?

Curious to hear what you all use. I need a new towel and not really sure what I want. I love Ping’s players towels but they’re pretty big and don’t attach to a bag. Worried I’d lose them. Need a towel to wipe clubs off mid-round.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

23 minutes ago, brogies said:

Curious to hear what you all use. I need a new towel and not really sure what I want. I love Ping’s players towels but they’re pretty big and don’t attach to a bag. Worried I’d lose them. Need a towel to wipe clubs off mid-round.

I usually have two towels hanging on my bag. One for me (wiping off sweat)and one for the clubs. I pour water on the one for clubs. I wipe the club off after every shot before it goes back in the bag.

Regarding the type of towel. It changes. I get a few a year from golf outings and such. I’ll use whatever until it gets a hole or shreds. Then pull another from the golf cabinet.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

A waffle towel with an opening that allows you to hang it over a club or the cart strap.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I generally use a waffle towel, typically a "tri-fold" one (clipped on the side of the bag by a carabiner). I do also use, from time to time, a "caddy's towel" (very large rectangle), that I do place "around the hozels" of my clubs on top of the bag. They don't fall... Indeed, very often they come with a hole in the middle that you can place over a given club to really ensure that the towel stays in place...

I do clean/wipe my clubs after each shot before replacing them in the bag, but no water on it for me...

Edited by Franc38

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland SOFT 2 model 10.5. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I have nothing that great. I have always used white carwash towels and this year decided to getting something that did not look so dirty. I do carry my towel the green to clean my ball as well. 

I bought the "StickIt Magnetic towel" for the ease of picking it up. The magnet is not that great. My Scotty putter struggles picking it up. The towel is nothing more that a waffle type micro fiber towel. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z1F8G52?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  Stickit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095BL1FQB?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 Here are just some micro fiber towels that work good enough for me.

Carry Bag - :titleist-small: Hybrid 14

Cart Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 (Bought in Apr '23)

Driver - :callaway-small: Epic Flash equipped with a Mitsubishi TENSEI AV 65 Stiff shaft

3w - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft 

Hybrid (3 high loft) - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft

Irons - :callaway-small: X-Hot Pro 4-W equipped with Rifle ProjectX95 6.5 shaft

Wedges - :titleist-small: :vokey-small: 48*, 52*, 56* equipped with True Temper shafts

Putter - :titleist-small: :scotty-small: Fastback Select 1.5 equipped with mid size super stroke grip. Weighted 15g in toe and heel

Ball - :titleist-small: Pro V1

All other clubs are gripped with Golf Pride mid size tour wrap grips with 2 layers of tape

25 minutes ago, jaz29 said:

My Scotty putter struggles picking it up. 

Cameron’s generally aren’t magnetic unless they are carbon heads.  The stainless has little magnetic attraction.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks @cnosil. I did not know that

Driver - :callaway-small: Epic Flash equipped with a Mitsubishi TENSEI AV 65 Stiff shaft

3w - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft 

Hybrid (3 high loft) - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft

Wedges - :titleist-small: :vokey-small: 48*, 52*, 56* equipped with True Temper shafts

Putter - :titleist-small: :scotty-small: Fastback Select 1.5 equipped with mid size super stroke grip. Weighted 15g in toe and heel

All other clubs are gripped with Golf Pride mid size tour wrap grips with 2 layers of tape

14 minutes ago, jaz29 said:

Thanks @cnosil. I did not know that

NP,  the magnet test is actually one of the methods for identifying fake Cameron’s.  Fakes often uses steel with more iron composition so they are more magnetic.   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've been using a Frogger towel for several years.  Really like having it wet inside and dry on the outside and it attaches easily to the golf bag.  Lots of colors available also.  

Ping G400 max    

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist  T350 irons 6-pw

Sub 70 JB 54 and 58 wedges 

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft  Just received DF3/accra

2 hours ago, jaz29 said:

I do carry my towel the green to clean my ball as well. 

I bought the "StickIt Magnetic towel" for the ease of picking it up. The magnet is not that great. My Scotty putter struggles picking it up.

I also carry my towel and club(s) to the green with me. Typically I leave, or send, my V2 powered Rovic near the green departure point while I play out. At one point I upgraded all my towel hangers to heavier duty shower curtain type clips, then to snap hooks (caribiners).  I recently bought the same towel and the magnetic plate that goes on a bag and the magnets are top notch; we use these neodymium magnets in industrial applications and they are great. I can even tell how much iron mineral content is in the bunker sand around here because the magnet picks up more in certain areas than others. I was also surprised that the putter head didn't pick up the towel, until I realized there shouldn't be much iron in my putter head (if authentic - duh on me), but I noticed my putter and iron shafts pick it up easily and hold onto it. If you are having problems with the magnet holding onto a surface I recommend either getting, or making, one of the plates, or trying another surface.  Or they also sell that button you van put in your putter butt (Stickit Putter Assist, I got one with the towel I bought https://stickitmagneticgear/collections/all/products/stickit-putter-assist). I was wary that the magnets might be weak and I would be picking the towel up after rolling my cart over uneven surfaces, NOT a problem at all. Yeah, it is just a waffle towel, but you vmcan also just buy the Magetic Towel Patch and attach that to your own towels if you really want a magnetic attachment (https://stickitmagneticgear.com/collections/all/products/stickit-magnetic-towel-patch).

Cheers

20230516_101127.jpg

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

My wife got me the magnetic Ghost golf towels. They are awesome for taking to the green and to prevent bag chatter as they stick to irons and my carbon steel putter. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX or Srixon ZX 2 Iron - ADDI 105X

Irons:  :titelist-small: T200/T100S Black 4-AW - MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.10S & 58.04T MMT 125TX (Soon to Test Toura Wedges with MMT 125TX)

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

Running with 2.5 right now, a black Ghost golf towel for clubs, and general cleaning. Then I have a white/red Vice golf for hand drying etc. more clean style wipe-downs, plus a mini-one to carry and clean the ball on the green. 

Driver:    :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver w/ fujikura ventus blue 6-series 
Fairway:   :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:       :mizuno-small:Pro 243 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120
Wedges: :Sub70: TAIII Forged Wedge Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball:  Pro Plus (white & drip)

I have some club towels that I've picked up at various tournaments and courses over the last couple years. See them a lot in proshops these days, but they're my favorite. 

They're huge so easy to wet one end and keep the other dry. Plenty of real estate to always have a clean section of the towel. 

No slot to put over clubs, but i've never had one fall out just wrapping through a couple hosels.

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

I really like the "Frogger". I have 2 and they attach easily to the cart. I have placed a small bath sponge at the top and closed the towel off so when I dip it I can suck up water and the sponge helps keep it wet longer.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I've been using the caddy towel for years.  Simply wet one side for clubs and ball then throw it over the top of the bag leaving the dry side for hands and face.  The one I'm using right now was tie dyed.

18WNCUTRCDDYTWL22ACC_Red_White_Blue.webp.5960fc2d752327a070fb82cd3bc9d4eb.webp
https://www.amazon.com/McArthur-Ribbed-Caddy-Towel-White/dp/B0891N6X5X/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=caddy%2Bgolf%2Btowel&qid=1684356001&sr=8-6&th=1

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- PXG Battle Ready Mustang 
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I use a generic waffle towel that I put a grommet and carabiner on it. In the summer I carry a large bath towel for sweat etc.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

16 hours ago, PBH3 said:

I've been using the caddy towel for years.  Simply wet one side for clubs and ball then throw it over the top of the bag leaving the dry side for hands and face.  The one I'm using right now was tie dyed.

18WNCUTRCDDYTWL22ACC_Red_White_Blue.webp.5960fc2d752327a070fb82cd3bc9d4eb.webp
https://www.amazon.com/McArthur-Ribbed-Caddy-Towel-White/dp/B0891N6X5X/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=caddy%2Bgolf%2Btowel&qid=1684356001&sr=8-6&th=1

Awesome! Adding it to my list. Thanks!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

On 5/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, Subdiver1 said:

I also carry my towel and club(s) to the green with me. Typically I leave, or send, my V2 powered Rovic near the green departure point while I play out. At one point I upgraded all my towel hangers to heavier duty shower curtain type clips, then to snap hooks (caribiners).  I recently bought the same towel and the magnetic plate that goes on a bag and the magnets are top notch; we use these neodymium magnets in industrial applications and they are great. I can even tell how much iron mineral content is in the bunker sand around here because the magnet picks up more in certain areas than others. I was also surprised that the putter head didn't pick up the towel, until I realized there shouldn't be much iron in my putter head (if authentic - duh on me), but I noticed my putter and iron shafts pick it up easily and hold onto it. If you are having problems with the magnet holding onto a surface I recommend either getting, or making, one of the plates, or trying another surface.  Or they also sell that button you van put in your putter butt (Stickit Putter Assist, I got one with the towel I bought https://stickitmagneticgear/collections/all/products/stickit-putter-assist). I was wary that the magnets might be weak and I would be picking the towel up after rolling my cart over uneven surfaces, NOT a problem at all. Yeah, it is just a waffle towel, but you vmcan also just buy the Magetic Towel Patch and attach that to your own towels if you really want a magnetic attachment (https://stickitmagneticgear.com/collections/all/products/stickit-magnetic-towel-patch).

Cheers

20230516_101127.jpg

How well does the landing pad work?

3 hours ago, jaz29 said:

How well does the landing pad work?

Great. Funny, I was worried about the clip blocking my club from going in and out of my C-130 bag, but no problems there.  I also bought the wrap for my range finder and I have put the range finder on top of the towel, both on the pad and I can run over all sorts of rough ground and they both stay stuck to the pad.  When I pull the range finder off, the towel comes with it and I have to separate the two.  The magnets and the pad work great all around.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

• 3 months later...

I've always had a golf towel and it's always been attached to my bag. I would use it AFTER a shot and come back wipe off the club and put it back into the bag. Last year I was targeted by about a billion social media ads for a magnetic golf towel. I thought it was a just a gimmick because bending over to pick up a towel isn't a big deal. What I found though, is I use the magnet to attach it to the golf cart pillar. it's always there, and it's always dangling. I bring it with my to my shot. Do my practice swings, and wipe off my club. I bring it with me when chipping onto a green to rest my putters grip on.  

I am absolutely SHOCKED, that I feel the difference it has made for me. Quickly drying off the face of a club was something I just never though about. Feels like I'm hitting with a dry club and clean grooves every single time. In fact it made such a difference that people I golf with also went the magnet way and also started to hang the towel right off the pillar for a quick grab and walk.  Hope it helps any other newbie out there that takes a practice swing and dirties up the club face before actually hitting a ball. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

4 minutes ago, Shakeyfly said:

I am absolutely SHOCKED, that I feel the difference it has made for me. Quickly drying off the face of a club was something I just never thought about. Feels like I'm hitting with a dry club and clean grooves every single time. In fact it made such a difference that people I golf with also went the magnet way and also started to hang the towel right off the pillar for a quick grab and walk.  Hope it helps any other newbie out there that takes a practice swing and dirties up the club face before actually hitting a ball. 

Glad you learned this, but you shouldn’t be shocked.  Dirt in the grooves has always been something that is considered bad.  As for wet/dry performance, MGS has included the impact on wedges in their testing for quite a few years.  If you are a dew sweeper you will see a considerable performance impact hitting a wet ball.   

I use an old gym towel that I wet one end and use for clubs and golf balls. I have a groove it brush attached to my bag if I need extra help on the irons. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I usually have two towels hanging on my bag. One for me (wiping off sweat)and one for the clubs. I pour water on the one for clubs. I wipe the club off after every shot before it goes back in the bag.

Regarding the type of towel. It changes. I get a few a year from golf outings and such. I’ll use whatever until it gets a hole or shreds. Then pull another from the golf cabinet.

Ditto for me. Two towels here as well. I also have my club brush so I clean and dry my irons after every shot, I've found it helps keep focus a bit more if I hit a bad shot, kind of a 'post-shot routine' as an added bonus...

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash