World's Tallest Golfer?

Our Sponsors

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-worlds-tallest-golfer-2012-06-07

NEW YORK, Jun 07, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- At seven feet, eight inches tall, Harlem Globetrotters rookie sensation Tiny Sturgess has already been acknowledged as the tallest professional basketball player in the world by Guinness World Records. Now, the 24-year-old native of Loughborough, England might be the world's tallest golfer. Tiny -- along with fellow Harlem Globetrotter Special K Daley -- took to the driving range at The Golf Club at Chelsea Piers to try out a new set of custom clubs manufactured by Piranha Golf, an Australian-based premium golf equipment developer.

Sturgess, who was drafted by the Globetrotters last June out of Mountain State University (W.Va.), owns a single-digit golf handicap and consistently drives a golf ball 300 yards, boasting a personal best drive of over 360 yards. He took up golf as an 11-year-old before he hit his growth spurt, growing a foot between the ages of 16 and 17. Finding size 20 shoes to wear daily is not the easiest task for Sturgess, so one can imagine that finding clubs to fit a person who stands 7'8" can be very challenging.

"I have a very old set of clubs back in England, but I am very excited about my new clubs and the chance to go out and elevate my game," said Sturgess. "People often doubt that I am a good golfer, so I was anxious to receive my new custom clubs. Now I can show folks what I can do on the course."

Sturgess has already received invites to golf with broadcasting legend Dan Patrick of "The Dan Patrick Show," and Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton of the popular "Boomer and Carton in the Morning" radio talk show, and he has inquiries from several celebrity golf events.

Presenting Tiny with his custom clubs was Piranha Golf Chairman Antonio Gelonesi, who came from Sydney, Australia to personally make the presentation.

Tiny Sturgess and Special K Daley golfing at Chelsea Piers.jpg

Tiny Sturgess golfing at Chelsea Piers1.jpg

Tiny Sturgess golfing at Chelsea Piers2.jpg

Tiny Sturgess golfing at Chelsea Piers3.jpg

Tiny Sturgess golfing at Chelsea Piers4.jpg

Tiny Sturgess golfing at Chelsea Piers5.jpg

Posted Image

I wonder what his club head speed is?!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

That's a seriously tall guy.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Dude is tall...did it say his club length? It'd be interesting to see how much his monkey arms bring the length down.

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE OF GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.6 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, JULY 2020
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B RXS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 3.5 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

You'd think they'd make a larger bag too haha

I've got a buddy who's 6'10" and plays bball in Spain. I sent him a set at plus 2" long and jumbo grips. Probably should've backweighted them but he's a beginner so the heavier clubs should help slow him down.