Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

13 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I’m not Josh, but as a long-time Fujikura Charter Dealer, I have hit virtually every Ventus shaft model in 5, 6, 7 and 8 Series and in R (tipped) and S flexes (both original Ventus and TR), except for the Black and Black TR.  Th only Ventus VeloCore shaft that I hit as long as I do the Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft is the Ventus TR Blue 5S and the original Ventus Blue 6R (tipped 1”). I get slightly lower spin with the Ventus VeloCore Blue shafts than I do with the Newton, and the trajectory with the Newton shaft is considerably higher.  Surprisingly, once I have gotten the Newton shaft dialed-in and installed in the correct driver head for me (Callaway Rogue ST LS TD), my dispersion and shot direction with the Newton shaft is better (I’ve hit exactly ONE drive to the right and it was a clear block where I “came out of” the shot, leaving the face on the driver open. Otherwise, every shot that I have hit since installing the Newton in that low-spin, lower-loft triple diamond driver has been a gentle draw or a straight ball down the middle to left-center of the fairway (this is after (5) 18-hole rounds and (4) 9-hole rounds with this clubhead/shaft combination.

The main selling point for the Ventus VeloCore shafts is a tight shot dispersion, and that is generally what I have seen with them. However, none of the Ventus VeloCore shafts has been as consistent as this Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft since I installed it in the Rogue ST LS TD head.

As for carry distance, I would say that it’s a toss-up among the Ventus VeloCore Blue, Ventus TR VeloCore Blue and Newton Motion shafts

Based on all of this, it sounds like this may be a great shift for my AeroJet LS. I tend to be a mid-high trajectory hitter so I’d hate to move into a shaft that gets any higher but if I can keep my lower spin number (2500ish) then I’m all in. I currently use a Ventus Blue 6S (original model) and I have really good dispersion so far. I’ll have a better idea later this spring as to what my next move is. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

10 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Based on all of this, it sounds like this may be a great shift for my AeroJet LS. I tend to be a mid-high trajectory hitter so I’d hate to move into a shaft that gets any higher but if I can keep my lower spin number (2500ish) then I’m all in. I currently use a Ventus Blue 6S (original model) and I have really good dispersion so far. I’ll have a better idea later this spring as to what my next move is. 

I’m in the same boat. I don’t need to launch or spin any higher. I am always seeking less spin and launch. 

Play like a champion today!

21 minutes ago, Javs said:

I’m in the same boat. I don’t need to launch or spin any higher. I am always seeking less spin and launch. 

I’m an “old guy” who still hits it pretty long (sometimes VERY long for a near 75 year old), but I also do not need any more spin or a higher launch.  You and everyone else here knows if they have read my posts that I am a total freak of nature when it comes to golf. Yesterday, I played one of the classic William Flynn-designed early 20th Century courses in the USA (Lancaster Country Club in Lancaster, PA), and my playing partners included a PGA Teaching Pro whom I have known and played golf with for about a decade.  I also do clubfitting work at the golf center that he owned, and I do ALL of his clubmaking work.  He was amazed that I have switched to the 9 degree Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond driver in which my Newton shaft is installed. When he saw me uncork a 268-yard drive, with about 245 yards or more of carry on the 2nd hole, he said, “Looks like that driver and shaft agree with you”. He also commented later that none of the 60+ year old golfers that he knows and plays with would even dare to use that type of driver head.  I did it to keep my launch and spin down to reasonable levels (less than 2,500-2,600 RPM and a launch angle of less than 13.5* to 14*), and I told him this.

BTW, this PGA Pro is 38 years old and hits his driver, which I fitted him for and shafted with an original Ventus Blue 6X shaft, about 325 yards (300 or more of which is carry distance).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

3 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I’m an “old guy” who still hits it pretty long (sometimes VERY long for a near 75 year old), but I also do not need any more spin or a higher launch.  You and everyone else here knows if they have read my posts that I am a total freak of nature when it comes to golf. Yesterday, I played one of the classic William Flynn-designed early 20th Century courses in the USA (Lancaster Country Club in Lancaster, PA), and my playing partners included a PGA Teaching Pro whom I have known and played golf with for about a decade.  I also do clubfitting work at the golf center that he owned, and I do ALL of his clubmaking work.  He was amazed that I have switched to the 9 degree Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond driver in which my Newton shaft is installed. When he saw me uncork a 268-yard drive, with about 245 yards or more of carry on the 2nd hole, he said, “Looks like that driver and shaft agree with you”. He also commented later that none of the 60+ year old golfers that he knows and plays with would even dare to use that type of driver head.  I did it to keep my launch and spin down to reasonable levels (less than 2,500-2,600 RPM and a launch angle of less than 13.5* to 14*), and I told him this.

BTW, this PGA Pro is 38 years old and hits his driver, which I fitted him for and shafted with an original Ventus Blue 6X shaft, about 325 yards (300 or more of which is carry distance).

There are a few of us old guys blessed to bomb it (relative) for our age and old broken bodies!!

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

There are a few of us old guys blessed to bomb it (relative) for our age and old broken bodies!!

As Tower of Power (you know them?) said, “You’re still a young man”. Heck, you may not yet have been in kindergarten when I was in God’s Marine Corps!

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

As Tower of Power (you know them?) said, “You’re still a young man”. Heck, you may not yet have been in kindergarten when I was in God’s Marine Corps!

Maybe it’s our jarhead background that makes us angry with that ball! Ha ha. Oh I sent you a DM about shafts. 

Edited by Javs

56 minutes ago, Javs said:

Maybe it’s our jarhead background that makes us angry with that ball! Ha ha. Oh I sent you a DM about shafts. 

I answered your DM a little more than an hour ago. Basically, I suggested the Ventus VeloCore Black in S-flex, which will play closer to the 6.5 in the PX SMOKE Yellow.  You could go with the TR version of the Ventus Black, but it is an extra-beastly shaft. Of course, for an old jarhead, possibly nothing is too “beastly”!

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I answered your DM a little more than an hour ago. Basically, I suggested the Ventus VeloCore Black in S-flex, which will play closer to the 6.5 in the PX SMOKE Yellow.  You could go with the Tr version of the Ventus Black, but it is an extra-beastly shaft. Of course, for an old jarhead, possibly nothing is too “beastly”!

Sorry the DM didn’t come through on my end. Thank you Sir! Appreciate it! Semper Fi!

Edited by Javs

9 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I answered your DM a little more than an hour ago. Basically, I suggested the Ventus VeloCore Black in S-flex, which will play closer to the 6.5 in the PX SMOKE Yellow.  You could go with the Tr version of the Ventus Black, but it is an extra-beastly shaft. Of course, for an old jarhead, possibly nothing is too “beastly”!

Which black the 5 or 6.

3 minutes ago, Javs said:

Which black the 5 or 6.

I would opt for the 6, unless you really like a sub-70 gram shaft. You also get a little lower torque (3.4* vs 3.7*), and a slightly stiffer or stronger overall profile from butt to tip with the 6S vs the 5S. If you opted for the Ventus Black 5, you might be OK with the X flex, as it has 3.3* of torque and the EI profile is virtually identical to the Black 6S.  The Ventus Black 6X is an entirely different animal than the 6S.

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Javs said:

Sorry the DM didn’t come through on my end. Thank you Sir! Appreciate it! Semper Fi!

Right back at ya’ brother!

Now off to bed — tournament tomorrow morning, and I need to hold or improve my standing at #3 on the Senior POTY leaderboard.

37 minutes ago, Javs said:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Preeway said:

Are you basing your purchase entirely on conversations with the company or are you working with a fitter on the side?

Great question. I have gone through several fittings over the past few years, including one OEM fitting just a couple of weeks ago. I'm confident I know what works and what doesn't. On the former, the ideal combo was a Riptide CB matched to my Stealth 2 head (which I was previously fitted for and love). It's also a shaft I've had in my 3 wood and it has the characteristics I'm looking for as a replacement for the stock Speeder NV. At this point, I could opt for that Riptide or I could try and further optimize and that's what led to my conversation with Angelo. He and I discussed demoing both the 2 and 3 dot. And if neither works then the solution is simple pop for the Riptide. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I would opt for the 6, unless you really like a sub-70 gram shaft. You also get a little lower torque (3.4* vs 3.7*), and a slightly stiffer or stronger overall profile from butt to tip with the 6S vs the 5S. If you opted for the Ventus Black 5, you might be OK with the X flex, as it has 3.3* of torque and the EI profile is virtually identical to the Black 6S.  The Ventus Black 6X is an entirely different animal than the 6S.

Thank you for all the assistance! 

32 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Great question. I have gone through several fittings over the past few years, including one OEM fitting just a couple of weeks ago. I'm confident I know what works and what doesn't. On the former, the ideal combo was a Riptide CB matched to my Stealth 2 head (which I was previously fitted for and love). It's also a shaft I've had in my 3 wood and it has the characteristics I'm looking for as a replacement for the stock Speeder NV. At this point, I could opt for that Riptide or I could try and further optimize and that's what led to my conversation with Angelo. He and I discussed demoing both the 2 and 3 dot. And if neither works then the solution is simple pop for the Riptide. 

Is Angelo a rep at Newton?

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Hey spies, sorry it’s been a while since I posted but I’ve been busy in Mesquite and Utah trying to slay these courses. Angelo and his team are working on a shaft for me, so I’ll let you know how it goes when I get it tested. Happy Birdie Hunting to all of you and Aim High to all the fantastic marines! Off we go into the wild blue yonder!

Edited by Erin B

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

18 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Angelo is their VP of sales and has been there a long time. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

Angelo is the VP of sales and has been the go to guy for most of the members on this thread. 

Edit: based on the questions he asked me, he appears as knowledgeable as my last 2 fitters - including the Taylormade guy I had recently. 

Edited by tony@CIC

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

20 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Right back at ya’ brother!

Now off to bed — tournament tomorrow morning, and I need to hold or improve my standing at #3 on the Senior POTY leaderboard.

Didn’t do very well in my tournament today! Tied for 28th place in a 111 person field with a net score of 77 (89 gross).

Spoiler

On 3/10/2024 at 6:34 AM, tony@CIC said:

TO those that bought the Newton - would you do it again and why

I got the 2 dot Newton Shaft- it wasn’t right for me as I wasn’t able to hit my “power” fade. Customer service is awesome however, and they exchanged it for a 1dot. Now I am loving it. I am getting good power and my shots are straighter and cut reliably.  I am very  confident with this shaft now. I don’t think their customer fitting specs are right on for everyone of course —but with a little tinkering you can hone in on a great fit. I don’t think this shaft is all hype-it they seem to be on to something. Best looking also.

Edited by Breck

:ping-small:Ping G410 Plus driver

:tour-edge: C721 5 wood

XXIO hybrid

PXG Hybrid

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson D7 irons

:ping-small: Sigma Putter

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 Sand Wedge

Ball::wilson_staff_small: Duo

Hi MGS troops! I received the “tipped” 5 dot shaft with the callaway tip for the paradym TD and took it to the range with @Derek Eskam and we both hit it. Derek needs a 6 dot. The 5 dot tipped is the shaft for me. I hit one fade, all the rest were straight down the middle. They were a little high, but not like the untipped shaft. The height was manageable for me and felt like it was hitting a 9.5 but not quite a 10. I think the height was more so because the shaft is still a little long and it was more off the higher portion of the face. Derek was hitting a draw but he said it was because he was a little handsy. He was a few yards longer but was higher than me. Again, he’d be perfect in the 6 dot. I still think the shaft is a little long for me even though Newton took 1/2 inch off the tip. I’ve decided this is the shaft I’m going to keep, but I’m going to take another 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the top to get the right length depending on tomorrow’s fitting session with Ping. This is the first time with all the shafts I’ve tried with Newton that a shaft felt exactly right minus the length. It reminds me of how I felt with the steadfast shaft when I hit it for the first time. The best feeling with the Newton is it was very consistent even on miss hits. For instance, I hit a couple on the heel and toe, and lost very little distance and MOI. The fade was minimal off the toe. The heel shot only lost maybe 10 yards. The only bad mis-hit was when I teed it up too high. I’m hoping this information will help you  decide on what is right for you on this shaft. Tipping was the key for me and Angelo was very patient and helpful in putting me in the correct shaft configuration I needed. Now that I know what’s the best configuration for me it will be hard to decide between the steadfast and the newton shaft when I finally get my TSR 4 driver. I’m leaning Newton because of the outstanding customer service I’ve received and am seriously considering keeping the other 5 dot shaft I have so I can play around with it. It’s in a ping tip, and I want to keep it there and maybe not tip it, instead cut off an inch on the top. I can always replace the tip for another driver head or maybe cut it for my 3 wood. The options are multiple. Good luck and happy birdie hunting!

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

This has been a really fun thread to follow along with. I am going to take my 5 dot to the range and give it a thorough trial again. I have a few I am going to swap around and want to see what is going to be ideal to start the season!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

The 5 dot ended up the winner for me.  I have it cut down to 44.75. 

I’m leaning 45. But I’m waiting until tomorrow to make a decision. Ping fitter here I come!!!

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

This has been a really fun thread to follow along with. I am going to take my 5 dot to the range and give it a thorough trial again. I have a few I am going to swap around and want to see what is going to be ideal to start the season!

It was a race between the 5 and 6 dot for me after all was said and done. I had to re-evaluate the 6 again (see past posts) before I could give Angelo an honest assessment. Tipping was the key for me.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

15 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

The 5 dot ended up the winner for me.  I have it cut down to 44.75. 

How do you like the shorter length shaft?

Just now, Javs said:

How do you like the shorter length shaft?

I have always played under 45in. It just feels more comfortable for me.

38 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Hi MGS troops! I received the “tipped” 5 dot shaft with the callaway tip for the paradym TD and took it to the range with @Derek Eskam and we both hit it. Derek needs a 6 dot. The 5 dot tipped is the shaft for me. I hit one fade, all the rest were straight down the middle. They were a little high, but not like the untipped shaft. The height was manageable for me and felt like it was hitting a 9.5 but not quite a 10. I think the height was more so because the shaft is still a little long and it was more off the higher portion of the face. Derek was hitting a draw but he said it was because he was a little handsy. He was a few yards longer but was higher than me. Again, he’d be perfect in the 6 dot. I still think the shaft is a little long for me even though Newton took 1/2 inch off the tip. I’ve decided this is the shaft I’m going to keep, but I’m going to take another 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the top to get the right length depending on tomorrow’s fitting session with Ping. This is the first time with all the shafts I’ve tried with Newton that a shaft felt exactly right minus the length. It reminds me of how I felt with the steadfast shaft when I hit it for the first time. The best feeling with the Newton is it was very consistent even on miss hits. For instance, I hit a couple on the heel and toe, and lost very little distance and MOI. The fade was minimal off the toe. The heel shot only lost maybe 10 yards. The only bad mis-hit was when I teed it up too high. I’m hoping this information will help you  decide on what is right for you on this shaft. Tipping was the key for me and Angelo was very patient and helpful in putting me in the correct shaft configuration I needed. Now that I know what’s the best configuration for me it will be hard to decide between the steadfast and the newton shaft when I finally get my TSR 4 driver. I’m leaning Newton because of the outstanding customer service I’ve received and am seriously considering keeping the other 5 dot shaft I have so I can play around with it. It’s in a ping tip, and I want to keep it there and maybe not tip it, instead cut off an inch on the top. I can always replace the tip for another driver head or maybe cut it for my 3 wood. The options are multiple. Good luck and happy birdie hunting!

Really appreciate you providing all the feedback and information on this shaft. It has been extremely interesting to follow the journey to get the shaft the way you like it. 

3 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I have always played under 45in. It just feels more comfortable for me.

That makes sense to me. I think 45 is the longest I would go as well. 

1 minute ago, Javs said:

That makes sense to me. I think 45 is the longest I would go as well. 

Yeah I have a couple that are longer that I didn't cut trying out but I typically fall just under 45in.  I feel like I have to stand too far from the ball anything longer than that. 

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

Yeah I have a couple that are longer that I didn't cut trying out but I typically fall just under 45in.  I feel like I have to stand too far from the ball anything longer than that. 

I can see your point. Especially since I like to choke down an inch or so if I get the longer shafts. So, I should just order them cut down.