Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Edel Array Putters . 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

I got out for 9 holes at my home course today and the F-3 really shined. I missed a couple of 4 footers early that I misread, but made putts from 12, 15, and 20 feet. I also had a 50 footer on the last hole that I rolled inside a foot.

The weather is supposed to turn here tonight, so I'll be back to indoor practice the next few days. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

On 3/31/2024 at 9:42 AM, cnosil said:

I'm a little confused.   your diagrams show face consistently open at impact but you wrote you are closed at impact.   The path doesn't have a huge influence on ball direction and ball direction even shows it goes right.     Makes me wonder how you are pulling putts; everything shows they should be going right.  

Chris, you're right, and I misspoke on the face position at impact.  And, you make a fair point and maybe I should be saying I'm missing left rather than using the term pull.  On a left to right putt I tend to miss high, and on right to left putts I have tended to miss low, so to your point it's more aim bias than stroke mechanics.

Hate it when you're right...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

My unboxing and first impression pics are up! SO excited to test this one...

Nicely done! Very curious to see how you get along with the F1 since coming from the Odyssey triple wide. I'm also interested in the battle of the two alignment plates to see just how big of an impact it really has.

Even though everyone has been or will be fit into a specific plate, it would have been cool to see some numbers comparing all six plates in the putter they were fit in to.

Looking forward to more!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

How much of a difference in stroke/pressure did you have to adjust between the 2 putters?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

11 hours ago, Rob Person said:

How much of a difference in stroke/pressure did you have to adjust between the 2 putters?

It wasn't a huge difference. Based on my historical stats and my fitting, I think that my gamer is too heavy for me, so my common miss is short. The fitter said that my tempo is excellent. Wish it showed on the course!

Yesterday, I tested accuracy (through gates) from 5 and 9 feet. I've decided to repeat that test a total of ten times, which I hope will eliminate outlier results, like an off day or lack of familiarity with the Array. I also will test accuracy from 3 feet. Yesterday, the Array significantly outperformed my gamer.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

10 hours ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

If you’re wondering if you can do this with the Array F-1, yes.  Yes you can.

IMG_7117.jpeg
IMG_7118.jpeg

You have to be a little more precise picking it up but once you do it’s actually in there pretty snug.

A silly thing to me when it comes to picking out putters, but I know it matters to some.  So there you go. 

image.png

I'm not going to lie, I was glad that I could pick up the ball with the F-3. You definitely have to do a bit of a wrist flip since there is not a lot of real estate sticking out past the alignment plate.

Array F-3 

On 4/3/2024 at 8:27 AM, Prodigal Duffer said:

It wasn't a huge difference. Based on my historical stats and my fitting, I think that my gamer is too heavy for me, so my common miss is short. The fitter said that my tempo is excellent. Wish it showed on the course!

Yesterday, I tested accuracy (through gates) from 5 and 9 feet. I've decided to repeat that test a total of ten times, which I hope will eliminate outlier results, like an off day or lack of familiarity with the Array. I also will test accuracy from 3 feet. Yesterday, the Array significantly outperformed my gamer.

because this one is lighter, did you feel the difference in force used to move the ball?  Or is the face softer/harder causing the distance issues on your gamer.?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

So far, I've found the biggest difference is long putts. I have to significantly increase my stroke with the Array to lag it long. Shorter putts, my "normal" feel is usually sufficient. With the gamer, I think a big part of it is mental. The footprint of the mallet is significant, combined with the extra weight, I tend to think I'm going to over hit the ball.

The Odyssey has an insert, which makes the ball come off the face a bit softer. That could be an issue in the distance control as well. When I did my second round of accuracy testing last night, I stupidly left a few of the Odyssey putts short (testing at 9 feet). I mean, who cares if they blow past the target? The point is to see if I can get it through the target! The only time that happened with the Array, the ball still hit the gate, but probably on its last revolution.

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

On 4/1/2024 at 3:32 AM, GolfSpy AFG said:

I hope to have all my unboxing and first impressions up tonight, but it could be tomorrow morning. Here's a little taste for now.  She's purty...

Preview.jpg

Very Scotty Cameron Phantom killer, very nice putter

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

On 4/2/2024 at 9:19 PM, Prodigal Duffer said:

Intended to test both distance control and accuracy today. I tested distance control from 10 feet, as my putting stats show that I am worst from 10 feet and shorter, leaving more than half of my putts short. First, I tested my gamer, an Odyssey R-Ball mallet. The results:

IMG_3434.jpeg.9ebd3b23f00436cb8bfc0ed76bb1d161.jpeg

Then, the Array B-1:

IMG_3435.jpeg.218bac045b5816b8ec7a05748c397135.jpeg

I think the Array was a clear winner here. 

I attempted to begin accuracy testing with gates at 5 feet, but these greens had very deceptive slopes, it was extremely windy, and I struggled to hit anything. I decided to abort that portion of the testing and, instead, do accuracy testing on my Birdie Ball putting mat. I did that when I got home, and will likely post the results tomorrow.

Definitely looks like the Array was the winner, with different slopes can help with accuracy, making putting to a specific aiming point will help dial it in

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

It's been cold here this week, so I've been playing on the simulator. I use a Uneekor QED for my simulator which has slow motion replay of the clubhead at impact. I have been consistently hitting the center of the clubface with the F-3. I think the slant neck is allowing me to make a more natural stroke. With my face balanced putter I was using a straight back straight through stroke that I felt I needed to guide to keep the clubhead on that path. I would even stop my stroke sometimes on the backswing when I felt the putter going back offline. I have not had that happen once with the Edel, it is a much more fluid motion.

Putt.PNG.c3af7b48522908c637746b73019be533.PNG

Array F-3 

1 hour ago, Parshooter36 said:

It's been cold here this week, so I've been playing on the simulator. I use a Uneekor QED for my simulator which has slow motion replay of the clubhead at impact. I have been consistently hitting the center of the clubface with the F-3. I think the slant neck is allowing me to make a more natural stroke. With my face balanced putter I was using a straight back straight through stroke that I felt I needed to guide to keep the clubhead on that path. I would even stop my stroke sometimes on the backswing when I felt the putter going back offline. I have not had that happen once with the Edel, it is a much more fluid motion.

Putt.PNG.c3af7b48522908c637746b73019be533.PNG

Very cool setup - love the look of this and the stats it shows!

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I’m going from a face-balanced (0 toe hang) ballet with a single bend neck and 3 degrees of loft to 44 degrees of toe hang, slant neck, 1.5 degrees of loft and 2 degrees upright.  It feels like a big change, but I’m getting comfortable quickly.

Interesting that you "feel" the change.   Makes me think you are trying to manipulate the putter during the stroke.   What do you focus on (hands, head, face angle, something else?) when you are making a stroke?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Interesting that you "feel" the change.   Makes me think you are trying to manipulate the putter during the stroke.   What do you focus on (hands, head, face angle, something else?) when you are making a stroke?  

You’re really honing in on my choice of words Chris!  😂 Fair.  Optically it’s different, especially given the setup and the hosel difference. And the main feel difference is in the transition from the insert of the Odyssey’s to the milled face of the Edel, which I neglected to mention in that last post.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

@cnosilre-reading your post and I apologize, I didn’t really answer your question as to what I focus on.  I consider myself a Dave Stockton acolyte…I pick a spot an inch or two in front of the ball and roll it over that (after spending the bulk of the pre-shot routine focusing on distance). That’s honestly what I’m looking at when I pull the trigger, and I’m certainly not focusing on any mechanics.  I do some drills for work on mechanics but not during my actual putting stroke.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

You’re really honing in on my choice of words Chris!  😂 Fair.  Optically it’s different, especially given the setup and the hosel difference. And the main feel difference is in the transition from the insert of the Odyssey’s to the milled face of the Edel, which I neglected to mention in that last post.

Thanks for the clarification;  sounded like you were feeling a difference in how the putter moved through the stroke since you were describing things like the neck and toe hang.     The question would then be if the visual and feel elements are just subjective things or if they have an influence on performance.  Based on your numbers you seem to be getting better results; which is good.  Wish we could translate it to see if the improved aim also improves your face at impact consistency.   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks for the clarification;  sounded like you were feeling a difference in how the putter moved through the stroke since you were describing things like the neck and toe hang.     The question would then be if the visual and feel elements are just subjective things or if they have an influence on performance.  Based on your numbers you seem to be getting better results; which is good.  Wish we could translate it to see if the improved aim also improves your face at impact consistency.   

That’s an interesting point.  The Club Champion fitter didn’t charge me for the fitting since I’d already paid for the iron fitting a few weeks prior…maybe I can get on the S&M again… 🤔

That said, I did pick up the other alignment plate to try and test if that results in a tangible difference.

Got out for my first round with the Array. I was a bit apprehensive for a few reasons. First, it was very windy today:

IMG_3442.png.06feedbcf35ede7554350231a5d1fa08.png

I was more concerned about the wind for everything but the green, but I do think it played a bit of a role in putting, too.

Second, during warm ups, I felt a pop in my groin muscle, so I was not sure I would be able to swing, walk, etc. Luckily, I think it is just a mild pulled muscle. It affected probably three or four shots total on the day, and no putts. Both for time and out of caution, I played only nine holes.

On the whole, I was pleased with how the Array performed. I said that one benchmark I will use is a reduction in the number of putts I leave short. The stats say that did not occur today,

IMG_3453.jpeg.a209cc27d04ebe121121cfe7d47ebff5.jpeg

but I am a bit skeptical of the Shot Scope accuracy on the greens (more on this later).

My stats, prior to today, also indicate that I am very bad at putts under ten feet. So, my other significant benchmark is whether I perform better with the Array at putts less than ten feet. Here are today’s results:

IMG_0279.jpeg.f31ef40dcc2cd7c84ce37464cb118a48.jpeg

Pretty good. Not sure what putt(s) I missed less than three feet. When I review my individual holes, I don’t find any putts I missed from that distance (and don’t remember any). If you prefer strokes gained:

IMG_3454.jpeg.83b837b01e195e01eaf6c67dc2a3ccec.jpeg

Based on a data set of one, the Array is off to a good start. Of course, data tells a lot, but could use some context. My next post will hopefully provide that.

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

So, now for context (and subjective feedback) for my first round with the Array. Aesthetically, I like it a lot, but it does not fit well in my stand bag:

IMG_3443.jpeg.5839da8358ff42f7ca5bb1ae228703a3.jpeg

I am getting a cart bag next week, so hopefully that works better. I really like the look of the blade next to the ball:

IMG_3448.jpeg.c254024c55f9c129595b6ae2daeec242.jpeg

First hole, my first putt was over 60 feet:

First green, Split Rail

I knocked the ball about six feet past the hole (hole was on the edge of a right to left slope, so I think the speed was pretty good, just got the slope and ended up six feet below the hole). Shot Scope says that first putt was from 49 feet. I walked it off, so color me skeptical. I made the second putt dead center.

On my first birdie opportunity of the day, my first putt was from 42 feet (Shot Scope):

IMG_3446.jpeg.df046274c5d5b5d0a12927077f49f0ea.jpeg

Left it about four feet short, but made par.

My next birdie attempt came two holes later, and had a pretty nasty down slope with right to left to right break. I chickened out a bit on speed and left it short. Shot Scope says I wasn’t even on the green and that my second putt was from ten feet. It was probably five (I made it). 

Next hole, I had a pretty long first putt. Shot Scope says 13 feet, felt longer. I thought I was going to catch the left edge and make the putt, but barely missed:

IMG_3449.jpeg.f797a09c3d33e862884eaff04a2306a5.jpeg

Next hole was my highlight putt. Had a less than stellar tee shot, and given the headwind and dog leg, decided to lay up. This gave me a straight shot at the green, and I hit my iron real nice. Wind killed it, so now I am pitching on for my fourth.  This was the look I had to save bogey:

IMG_3450.jpeg.fda7dff686270b3c839009b67aa79b03.jpeg

This was maybe six feet. I felt confident with the Array and drained it.

First day feedback is that I like the look of the Array. I am not used to its lighter weight and that affected me mentally a few times. I think that will change as I play with it more. I can recall only one hole where I had a truly bad line, which was due to me opening the face during my stroke. Aside from that one instance, I hit my lines (if not always at the intended speed).

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

So, now for context (and subjective feedback) for my first round with the Array. Aesthetically, I like it a lot, but it does not fit well in my stand bag:

IMG_3443.jpeg.5839da8358ff42f7ca5bb1ae228703a3.jpeg

I am getting a cart bag next week, so hopefully that works better. I really like the look of the blade next to the ball:

IMG_3448.jpeg.c254024c55f9c129595b6ae2daeec242.jpeg

First hole, my first putt was over 60 feet:

First green, Split Rail

I knocked the ball about six feet past the hole (hole was on the edge of a right to left slope, so I think the speed was pretty good, just got the slope and ended up six feet below the hole). Shot Scope says that first putt was from 49 feet. I walked it off, so color me skeptical. I made the second putt dead center.

On my first birdie opportunity of the day, my first putt was from 42 feet (Shot Scope):

IMG_3446.jpeg.df046274c5d5b5d0a12927077f49f0ea.jpeg

Left it about four feet short, but made par.

My next birdie attempt came two holes later, and had a pretty nasty down slope with right to left to right break. I chickened out a bit on speed and left it short. Shot Scope says I wasn’t even on the green and that my second putt was from ten feet. It was probably five (I made it). 

Next hole, I had a pretty long first putt. Shot Scope says 13 feet, felt longer. I thought I was going to catch the left edge and make the putt, but barely missed:

IMG_3449.jpeg.f797a09c3d33e862884eaff04a2306a5.jpeg

Next hole was my highlight putt. Had a less than stellar tee shot, and given the headwind and dog leg, decided to lay up. This gave me a straight shot at the green, and I hit my iron real nice. Wind killed it, so now I am pitching on for my fourth.  This was the look I had to save bogey:

IMG_3450.jpeg.fda7dff686270b3c839009b67aa79b03.jpeg

This was maybe six feet. I felt confident with the Array and drained it.

First day feedback is that I like the look of the Array. I am not used to its lighter weight and that affected me mentally a few times. I think that will change as I play with it more. I can recall only one hole where I had a truly bad line, which was due to me opening the face during my stroke. Aside from that one instance, I hit my lines (if not always at the intended speed).

Good review - agree that the look of this blade looks great. Looking forward to reading more on your journey with the Edel!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

19 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Pretty good. Not sure what putt(s) I missed less than three feet. When I review my individual holes, I don’t find any putts I missed from that distance (and don’t remember any). If you prefer strokes gained:

On the dashboard you can review each hole from the round and it will show you each shot and how close to the hole the shot got or "holed" when you make the shot.   Based on your posts you don't like the putting aspect of ShotScope but it needs to adjust the distance, commercial GPS is typically off by a few feet, and tap in putts may not be registered if you hit them to soon after the prior shot.    You definitely need to review All the shots captured with shotscope to ensure they are accurately placed.  

@cnosil, I wouldn’t say I don’t like SS’s putting tracking, because in general, I do. I just have a bit of skepticism about the distance stats it produces because, as you’ve pointed out, GPS is accurate only to within a few feet.

My biggest beef is on the shorter putts, but I also cannot zoom in enough on the dashboard to accurately correct those putts. For longer putts (such as the birdie putt I referenced above where SS thinks I wasn’t on the green), I just don’t care enough whether it was 48 or 38 feet. I also don’t feel confident enough to adjust the second putt because I didn’t take another measurement.

I should add that this was the first round where I used the putter tag, as it did not fit on my gamer. I liked not having to mark the location of each of my putts, although I bet that is a little bit more accurate. I will take less accurate distance stats in exchange for not having to remember to mark every putt I take.

Edited by Prodigal Duffer

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

5 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

My biggest beef is on the shorter putts, but I also cannot zoom in enough on the dashboard to accurately correct those putts. For longer putts (such as the birdie putt I referenced above where SS thinks I wasn’t on the green), I just don’t care enough whether it was 48 or 38 feet. I also don’t feel confident enough to adjust the second putt because I didn’t take another measurement.

The adjustments are best done on an actual computer and not a mobile device.  You can use the arrow keys to move the selected dot to the correct location and distance.      Ultimately if you don't care or feel like you can provide accurate numbers the results are going to be less than accurate.  Obviously your choice.  

9 minutes ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

@cnosil, I wouldn’t say I don’t like SS’s putting tracking, because in general, I do. I just have a bit of skepticism about the distance stats it produces because, as you’ve pointed out, GPS is accurate only to within a few feet.

When I used shotscope I felt that the manual putting was much more accurate than using the sensor.

Array F-3 

As I wait for my Edel Array to arrive I've been continuing to practice with my Odyssey White Hot OG #7.  I set up a Stack training session of 9 putts ranging every two feet from 2-18'.  The putts are listed in order below, but it's randomized when actually doing the program.

Slight direction bias to the right but overall the numbers have been great through 5 sessions.  It's going to be hard for the Array to be a big improvement over my gamer when it comes to straight putts up to 18'.

stack.png.31adabf1824ae80cf291e67ed5234ce8.png

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 10.5°, Kai'li Red X
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, Evnroll Tourtac grip