Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Any tips on reducing the use of the arms in the golf swing?

Generally speaking, I know that each player has to find the swing that best suits them so long as it has certain basic principles like adequate shoulder turn and staying over the ball, etc.   I'm a mid handicap golfer and was hoping that members could share any tips on how to reduce the arms in the golf swing?  Preferably, keeping advice in the 'keep-it-simple-stupid' camp would be ideal but necessary.  Many thanks.   -Tom, NJ

"If you're struggling then just keep it simple by turning your shoulders and only use your hands to lift up and back down the club."

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "reduce the arms" but it made me think of a tip from the Hogan 5 lessons book.  There is a sketch of the setup position with an ace bandage wrapped around both arms.  The idea is to keep the arms in that position through the swing.  I am not sure if this is the type of info you were trying to get to.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Reducing the arms isn’t the best way to go. Arms aren’t passive in the swing.

more than likely what is happening is you aren’t turning your hips properly and aren’t shifting pressure and as a result the club is out of position and you have to make compensations which leads to having to use the arms and hands to save the shot.

Your best bet is to find a good instructor near you and get lessons

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Hmm, in fact too many would-be golfers do not use their arms enough, instead overgriping with their hands.  Without getting into the nitty-gritty, we want to fully extend our arms in order to leverage our large muscles in our shoulders and hips.

But perhaps we are misunderstanding what you characterize as overusing the arms.  If you mean to avoid pulling in with the biceps (as if lifting), then yes we want to avoid using muscles that can reduce our full arm extension, cause wrists to release prior to impact ("swinging from the top..."), etc.

Happy golf trails,   Michael 

Erika Larkin, a swing coach, teaches about using very "soft" arms in the swing.  She argues many golfers use hands/arms to over-manipulate the club during the swing in search of "perfect" positions.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Keep it simple with the "rope drill".

The most basic fundamental of all is that the golf swing is a rotational move of the body core, with the hands and club following that rotation through the impact zone.

Hope that helps.

Instructor sought: Teach me how to make 6 foot putts without practice!!!

1 hour ago, TexCAV said:

Keep it simple with the "rope drill".

The most basic fundamental of all is that the golf swing is a rotational move of the body core, with the hands and club following that rotation through the impact zone.

Hope that helps.

They hands/arms just don’t follow. They are actively applying force with max hand speed being reached between p5 and p6.

Hands/arms that just follow lead to golfers being stuck 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

.....ahh, almost forgot about the towel/armpit tip!   

Shapotomous, I just revisited the Ben Hogan regarding  the arms being together and also came across this left/lead wrist supination which seems like it also worth a try.   

Jbugai, can you please provide a little more regarding the forward press?

"If you're struggling then just keep it simple by turning your shoulders and only use your hands to lift up and back down the club."

3 minutes ago, T-Bone NJ said:

.....ahh, almost forgot about the towel/armpit tip!   

Shapotomous, I just revisited the Ben Hogan regarding  the arms being together and also came across this left/lead wrist supination which seems like it also worth a try.   

Jbugai, can you please provide a little more regarding the forward press?

Absolutely, there was study done by a physicist at Yale university, who happened to love golf. He discovered that the club is a tuning device. Which means its frequency has three waves requiring three points of force. So how does that apply to the swing itself? Essentially you must apply force towards target before applying force away from the target in order to return force towards the target without disrupting the swing. 

From Luke Kerr-Dineen on Twitter...

Strick seems to have the most simple and effective swing I've seen on tour

Edited by StrokerAce

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

17 hours ago, T-Bone NJ said:

Generally speaking, I know that each player has to find the swing that best suits them so long as it has certain basic principles like adequate shoulder turn and staying over the ball, etc.   I'm a mid handicap golfer and was hoping that members could share any tips on how to reduce the arms in the golf swing?  Preferably, keeping advice in the 'keep-it-simple-stupid' camp would be ideal but necessary.  Many thanks.   -Tom, NJ

What makes you think you use the arms too much? Is this something a pro pointed out during a lesson?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 minutes ago, Jbugai said:

That is the concept, unfortunately I have seen too many swings with it where people are still getting the club too far inside. Training aids should be used to address problems or help build new/correct movement patterns, but unfortunately not many golfers understand what they need to do.

We can use the planemate as another example. A great training aid and despite videos walking one through what to do, poor understanding of the swing and what the videos are telling people to do they perform the drills incorrectly, make no progress and assume the device ain’t for them or it doesn’t do what it promotes

russtopherb, it's been a few things where I believe the arms are the cause:

the lack of distance, especially on the 3 and 4 hybrids, 3 wood and driver,

occasional back pain,

inconsistent ball striking (fat/thin),

catching the left arm not being straight

I do like the tour striker smart ball.

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That is the concept, unfortunately I have seen too many swings with it where people are still getting the club too far inside. Training aids should be used to address problems or help build new/correct movement patterns, but unfortunately not many golfers understand what they need to do.

We can use the planemate as another example. A great training aid and despite videos walking one through what to do, poor understanding of the swing and what the videos are telling people to do they perform the drills incorrectly, make no progress and assume the device ain’t for them or it doesn’t do what it promotes

They probably just need a little help with understanding and they’ll be pointed in the right direction. God back to the old saying give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day, but teach him how to fish and he’ll never go hungry. 

2 hours ago, T-Bone NJ said:

occasional back pain,

A lot of things could be causing those issues such as a poor setup, lack of shoulder turn, lack of proper wrist hinge, being over the top, etc. 

If you're not taking lessons, try posting a swing vid here and I'm sure someone who's far more knowledgeable than I can give you some solid advice

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, T-Bone NJ said:

occasional back pain,

All of these issues are from improper pressure shifting and improper hip turn.

Whatever your arms are doing in the downswing are compensations for what’s wrong in the takeaway and backswing.

Saying the arms are causing the problem is diagnosing a symptom rather than the actual cause

2 hours ago, Jbugai said:

They probably just need a little help with understanding and they’ll be pointed in the right direction. God back to the old saying give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day, but teach him how to fish and he’ll never go hungry. 

Based on the videos I’ve seen it’s a little more than some guidance. Some have received that from members in forums and still are unable to do proper movements. 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on the videos I’ve seen it’s a little more than some guidance. Some have received that from members in forums and still are unable to do proper movements. 

Well yeah you can only do so much if you’re not present with them and able to be hands on. If you don’t like the idea of training aids just say so. Why beat around the bush. Lessons are important absolutely. Maybe not everyone has the time, nor can afford them. People are on here for answers, not to be belittled or talked down to condescendingly. 

Appreciate all the insights and suggestions everyone!   My takeway from everything here is to be patient and experiment a little bit at the driving range (incorporating some selfie videos perhaps), consider trying the tour striker smart ball and get a lesson (which I just booked with PGA professional Jeff Severini).  

Edited by T-Bone NJ

Some training aids like the Tour Stryker ball make you squeeze your arms together which is good for short shots but not always easy for longer ones.  Some training aids like Swing Align hold the arms at proper spacing keeping them from flying apart vs having to squeeze.  If you can keep the proper arm spacing (instructors call this arm structure), and rotate the lead shoulder down to rotate the club to the top versus lifting with the arms, you are on the right path.  Rotating the trail hip to create some space helps as well.

Titleist TSR2 10.0 GDI CQ-6
Honma Big-LB 14
Honma TR-21 18 Hybrid
Honma TR21X 4-11
Titleist Vokey SM5 54.14
Titleist Vokey WW 58K
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 BIRD

4 hours ago, Jbugai said:

Well yeah you can only do so much if you’re not present with them and able to be hands on. If you don’t like the idea of training aids just say so. Why beat around the bush. Lessons are important absolutely. Maybe not everyone has the time, nor can afford them. People are on here for answers, not to be belittled or talked down to condescendingly. 

I think training aids are good. Thur have a purpose but not all training aids are good for all golfers. Determining what the golfers problem is and then getting a training aid that works to address their issue. 

I agree lessons are important and especially in person. I’ve seen enough videos and threads of members on forums trying to go it alone struggle for a long time and make no progress despite putting in hours and hours trying to improve and in some cases regressing. I’ve been a part of two different paid membership sites and watched golfers not progress despite continued feedback from the teaching staff along with members of different forums take online lessons and struggle despite years of working with the same instructor to see that online lessons aren’t for most golfers.

I am here to help those looking for it but to also be honest with feedback based on my experience.

The golf swing isn’t easy and it takes time to fix bad movement patterns. Saying a training aid will fix someone’s issue isn’t honest. Explaining why it may or may not work and what might be a better option is more helpful. Seeing someone’s swing first and seeing what their issues to them say what is wrong and what to work on and then recommend a training aid is a lot more helpful.

Another issue that’s hard to deal with is the ones looking for a quick fix because there aren’t any.

yea a lot of people don’t have a lot of time so knowing what their actual issues are and giving them a recommendation based on that and not something general will be more help to them. 

53 minutes ago, Macelroy said:

Some training aids like the Tour Stryker ball make you squeeze your arms together which is good for short shots but not always easy for longer ones.  Some training aids like Swing Align hold the arms at proper spacing keeping them from flying apart vs having to squeeze.  If you can keep the proper arm spacing (instructors call this arm structure), and rotate the lead shoulder down to rotate the club to the top versus lifting with the arms, you are on the right path.  Rotating the trail hip to create some space helps as well.

Agree. Using the ball for full swings can create other issues, a roll of toilet paper is just as good as the smart ball especially for some smaller built golfers because it keeps the arms closer together than the balls. 

Some instructors don’t like the lead shoulder down feeling because it can cause improper movements and prefer the the trail shoulder back. Depends on what the golfer is doing and what they may need to change 

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think training aids are good. Thur have a purpose but not all training aids are good for all golfers. Determining what the golfers problem is and then getting a training aid that works to address their issue. 

I agree lessons are important and especially in person. I’ve seen enough videos and threads of members on forums trying to go it alone struggle for a long time and make no progress despite putting in hours and hours trying to improve and in some cases regressing. I’ve been a part of two different paid membership sites and watched golfers not progress despite continued feedback from the teaching staff along with members of different forums take online lessons and struggle despite years of working with the same instructor to see that online lessons aren’t for most golfers.

I am here to help those looking for it but to also be honest with feedback based on my experience.

The golf swing isn’t easy and it takes time to fix bad movement patterns. Saying a training aid will fix someone’s issue isn’t honest. Explaining why it may or may not work and what might be a better option is more helpful. Seeing someone’s swing first and seeing what their issues to them say what is wrong and what to work on and then recommend a training aid is a lot more helpful.

Another issue that’s hard to deal with is the ones looking for a quick fix because there aren’t any.

yea a lot of people don’t have a lot of time so knowing what their actual issues are and giving them a recommendation based on that and not something general will be more help to them. 

I respectfully agree and thank you for elaborating on what you were trying to say. 

In Europe, they use Futbol.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

More seriously, try to keep your hands low and close to your body.  The further away the hands are from the body, the harder it is to control the club head.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃