BagBoy Volt - Unofficial Review

This looks like a well built e cart!  A friend just got a motocaddy m7, and while he really likes it, they nickel and dime you for all the extra accessories that yours comes with. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Nice!!! Good info and pics!

Also a fan of the Quad XL, and also put the ewheels on my wife's. If she hadn't splurged on an MGI for me I'd be seriously looking at this one.

It looks like the top bracket has Top Lok - which is great! - and just curious about the little platform for the foot of the bag .. does it securely accommodate a full size stand bag..?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric trolley.
Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or Vice Pro Air. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

I have the MotoCaddy M7 with remote. In comparing the two the Bag Boy has several nice features that the M7 is missing. Let me know how well the Trueline tracking system works. Does it track straight on side hill lies? I do like the trip meter and many more speed settings. I'm roughly at 700 miles walking on mine but it is all calculated. It would be great to actually have a trip meter like yours. I find that my normal walking speed is between two settings on mine. So, I let it go out ahead of me and slow it down when I need to. I also like the amount of storage compartments you get on yours. Mine has ZERO!  One of the complaints from others is the M7 remote being sensitive. I don't have that issue but let us know what you think about the Volts remote after using it for a while. 

PS: I just put a Weathertech trunk liner in my car. So, I can just toss it in the trunk and when it needs a cleaning its an easy pull and hose off. Better than trying to get a 28-pound unit into a bag. Another note the Volt is 2.5 lbs lighter than the M7.

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Let me know how well the Trueline tracking system works. Does it track straight on side hill lies?

From what I've read elsewhere, it does not, it want's to follow the slope.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

A friend just got a motocaddy m7, and while he really likes it, they nickel and dime you for all the extra accessories that yours comes with. 

I too was looking at an M7, and I know it gets great reviews.  But I kept thinking to myself "where am I going to put my stuff?"

8 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

It looks like the top bracket has Top Lok - which is great! - and just curious about the little platform for the foot of the bag .. does it securely accommodate a full size stand bag..?

It does have the TopLok.  I understand why you are asking bout the foot - it does appear small.  I'm assuming it would be ok because the bands to go around and secure the bag in place are plenty big.  I've got an older Titleist stand bag hanging in the garage - I'll try and get a picture taken soon. 

8 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Let me know how well the Trueline tracking system works. Does it track straight on side hill lies?

Yup - on the "to-do" list once I get it outside.  I would think any three wheel cart would have serious trouble on a sidehill no matter how good the gyroscope is.  I'd be happy if it just goes straight on a relatively flat surface and the weight of the bag doesn't pull it off line.  But I understand the question, and no the prefect side hills to test it on once I get it outside.  Sounds like video will be needed...

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I’ve also got an M7 and have to agree that it does lack any storage space. I got around this by purchasing a small cooler backpack that straps to the frame so I’m able to keep drinks, gloves, spare balls etc in it. Have to say that the extra accessories that come with yours look much better. However having said that I love my M7 and wouldn’t change it for the world. 
Hope you enjoy your Volt and you won’t believe how much more convenient a remote trolley is!

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

very cool. 

I have an M5 and an M7. love them but they are so heavy and bulky. I talked to Craig Ramsbottom about this a bit last year when I was at an event that Bag Boy was sponsoring. he was pretty excited about it and I see why. this is a different kind of cart. 

Im going to need to get my hands on one of these soon 😆

Driver - Callaway ParadymX

3, 5, 7 woods - Callaway ParadymX

Irons - Callaway ParadymX 

Wedges - Jaws RAW 54°, 58°

Putter - Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Seven DB

Ball - Chrome Soft X LS

13 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

I’ve also got an M7 and have to agree that it does lack any storage space. I got around this by purchasing a small cooler backpack that straps to the frame so I’m able to keep drinks, gloves, spare balls etc in it. Have to say that the extra accessories that come with yours look much better. However having said that I love my M7 and wouldn’t change it for the world. 
Hope you enjoy your Volt and you won’t believe how much more convenient a remote trolley is!

Luckily most of my golf bags have the built-in cooler so I don't have to worry about that. I do have all the attachments (umbrella holder, drink holder and score card holder) but they don't get used so I took them off. I golf light. But I really like the Volt and what they did with the design. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

@WaffleHouseTour That is very cool!

Looking forward to hear how it does on the course.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2024 Fit For Golf Training App Review

On 3/19/2024 at 8:50 AM, cksurfdude said:

does it securely accommodate a full size stand bag..?

IMG_5410.JPG.7c3494fb0fcc89058de5023006de1a34.JPG

I understand the question - will this small looking wedge hold a full size bag

IMG_5409.JPG.3c95938e21807256e5702540cd0a8508.JPG

This is an older Titelist StaDry 4 (not a typo) stand bag.  It is a light weight bag meant to be carried.  But it fits perfect in there. 

IMG_5408.JPG.023db65d21e50fc85ddaada4b5f91ae0.JPG

Unfortunately all pictures are still taken inside... ice and snow this past week...

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

On 3/23/2024 at 6:36 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

IMG_5410.JPG.7c3494fb0fcc89058de5023006de1a34.JPG

I understand the question - will this small looking wedge hold a full size bag

IMG_5409.JPG.3c95938e21807256e5702540cd0a8508.JPG

This is an older Titelist StaDry 4 (not a typo) stand bag.  It is a light weight bag meant to be carried.  But it fits perfect in there. 

IMG_5408.JPG.023db65d21e50fc85ddaada4b5f91ae0.JPG

Unfortunately all pictures are still taken inside... ice and snow this past week...

Thx for that. It does look like a large kick pad could fit thru that slot above the wheel .. nice!!

Putter...

followthrough.jpg

Mine came in, very impressed compared to other brands I have seen.  I am not dealing with the bad weather, but it came in too late for me to take it to the course.  Works well in my small back yard.  I don't want to highjack the thread.  Went to this from a Nitron and love the top lock.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, seems like this thread died.  I have been out 3 times with my cart and I am very pleased with the purchase.  My course only has moderate hills is a few spots but finished 18 holes (just over 5 1/2 miles) each time with plenty of juice left.  Once I got used to the controls, it was pretty easy, and I enjoyed how easily it was to go into manual mode for the tight spots or big curbs, the shift to manual is seamless.  I would also say that if you don't drive it like an idiot, it is pretty stable.  I am sure the bulkier heavier carts are more stable, but losing the bulk was one of my driving forces for purchasing the Volt.  I have read the negative reviews about it being unstable or tippy, I found that to be true when being aggressive with speed or jerky with adjustments.  It does wheel spin a bit in the wet grass (wet not just damp) when going up hills or turning tight corners.  It will not climb steep embankments, but I didn't really expect it to.  If you can drive a cart there the Volt will do it, just use your head.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finally got the Volt out onto the course for my first round of the year this past week.  Life, family, work, illness, weather have all conspired to keep me from getting outside...

The Good - Lightweight.  Easy to transport in the trunk - found a nice duffle to fit it in and keep the clippings out of the car.  Good battery life - two lights out of four were till on after walking 18. It is speedy - hold the froward button for three seconds and it takes off, I mean faster than I can go.  I love the bottle holder/dashboard and pouch under the dash - put a couple sleeves of balls and my jacket when I peeled it off. 

I did not use the auto-mode where it goes a preset 5-30 yard distance.  I was remote in had the entire time. 

A big plus for me - the battery detaches so easily, the cart stays in the car and only the battery gets taken into the garage for charging - a big improvement over my Alphard. 

The Bad - it is tippy... it flipped on me twice in 18 holes.  Now - full disclosure - I carry a very lightweight bag.  And it is top/back to the handle heavy.  I had the same trouble with my old cart.  But the Volt seems to bounce more. 

This video - trying to go up the hill to the tee box on #9.  Yes, the grass is wet, and long.  The reality is, anything of any significance you need to keep your hand on the handle.  You don't need to push, just keep a hand on it to keep it level.  My two turn overs I was a ways away.  One tried going up a hill and tipped backwards.  The other was a side hill and tipped sideways - I think I'm going to keep the front wheel in the locked position from now on. 

More concerning for me - the controls are very touchy.  Touching the left and right buttons for steering are pretty herky jerky in my opinion.  It is not a gradual turn - but just a tap really changes direction.  Maybe I'll get that figured out a bit more over time - but walking down a cart path with a long bridge was a lot of left/right/left/right... trying to find the straight and narrow. 

Speaking of straight and narrow - the TrueLine tracking system - well, its not going to follow a mow line... maybe stay within a mower's width... I may set it up on a mow line and shoot some more video.  I had a definite drift to the right. 

The oddest thing - running it down the fairway (remote in hand and no more than ten to fifteen yards away) it will suddenly stop after 100 yards or so.  My old cart would stop if it got too far away from the remote.  But I was within range here.  Not sure why that was.  Always started right back up.  I've emailed BagBoy to ask if I this is an anomaly or what causes it.  No response yet. 

I wish the remote had a clip, or a holster.  They have a nice little receptacle on the carts dashboard - but I like to drive it away when I'm walking up to putt, or drive it around the green - and not set it on auto-pilot straight as I'm sure the designers intended.  So that means I either keep the remote in my pocket - or I change my habit.   The problem with the remote in pocket is I think this one is a little wide and thick.  If you weren't putting it in your pocket there would be no problem.  Just a wish for a future improvement - a clip or holster to just snap it to your belt in the back.  Again, I'm a creature of habit. 

I'll try not to lead the thread die - I plan to get out again late next week and will get some more video. 

9 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Speaking of straight and narrow - the TrueLine tracking system - well, its not going to follow a mow line... maybe stay within a mower's width... I may set it up on a mow line and shoot some more video.  I had a definite drift to the right. 

Are the front wheels adjustable for steering? I was able to turn the screws on my MGI to take out a left-ward drift that had developed.

Putter...

followthrough.jpg

21 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Are the front wheels adjustable for steering? I was able to turn the screws on my MGI to take out a left-ward drift that had developed.

The front wheel is either locked in place or its a full swivel unlocked.

My comments would be pretty similar to OP.  Thought I found it much more stable at 2.9 - 3.2 MPH than letting it run full speed.  I did not experience the jerky steering either, could be a speed thing.  The 100 yd and stop is by design unless you touch a button on the remote.  I actually think it is an 80yd limit, if I remember right, that it stops when there is not input.  Hills and wet grass are not its friend.  Would agree that tracking straight would not follow a mow line, but at a decent walking speed it tracks straight enough on level ground to not need input.  6 rounds in and it is finally becoming second nature.  The less input the better, keep it at walking speed and its better, let it run full speed and it bounces, it is fun running it at full speed but really you have to catch up to it sooner or later.

I do have a question, where did you find your duffle, have not been able to find one to fit?

On 5/5/2024 at 6:14 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Finally finally got the Volt out onto the course for my first round of the year this past week.  Life, family, work, illness, weather have all conspired to keep me from getting outside...

The Good - Lightweight.  Easy to transport in the trunk - found a nice duffle to fit it in and keep the clippings out of the car.  Good battery life - two lights out of four were till on after walking 18. It is speedy - hold the froward button for three seconds and it takes off, I mean faster than I can go.  I love the bottle holder/dashboard and pouch under the dash - put a couple sleeves of balls and my jacket when I peeled it off. 

Where did you find your duffle, have been looking all over for one.  The lack of brake without power and not storage available bothers me.  Thanks for the help.

14 hours ago, bigdave18629 said:

Where did you find your duffle, have been looking all over for one.  The lack of brake without power and not storage available bothers me.  Thanks for the help.

I found this by CaddyTek on Amazon.  It doesn't have the best zippers... and it's plenty big... but I'm tossing a a couple boxes of balls, some tees, training aid... the usual stuff bouncing around in the trunk.  The cart fits just fine.  I too looked around and had trouble finding a solution.  I went with bigger is safer...

https://a.co/d/e4cGT4u

37 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I found this by CaddyTek on Amazon.  It doesn't have the best zippers... and it's plenty big... but I'm tossing a a couple boxes of balls, some tees, training aid... the usual stuff bouncing around in the trunk.  The cart fits just fine.  I too looked around and had trouble finding a solution.  I went with bigger is safer...

https://a.co/d/e4cGT4u

Perfect, thanks so much.  Enjoy the cart, you appear to have more hills to contend with than I do.

23 hours ago, bigdave18629 said:

The 100 yd and stop is by design unless you touch a button on the remote.  I actually think it is an 80yd limit, if I remember right, that it stops when there is not input.  Hills and wet grass are not its friend.  

I emailed Dynamic Brands/Bag Boy's support and got the following - "If a command is pressed on the remote and then nothing pressed for 60 seconds, the cart will stop as a precaution. To prevent this the user just must tap the up button and the clock starts again"  So apparently its a "time out..."  Good to know. 

18 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I emailed Dynamic Brands/Bag Boy's support and got the following - "If a command is pressed on the remote and then nothing pressed for 60 seconds, the cart will stop as a precaution. To prevent this the user just must tap the up button and the clock starts again"  So apparently its a "time out..."  Good to know. 

That makes more sense than the distance that I have been reading about, thanks for sharing.  And just for clarity, I am very glad I mad the purchase, it has taken a lot of load off of my bad knees but keeps me walking.  I was resistant to buy one of the big bulky carts, this is so easy to transport and kick into manual for the tight transitions I have at my course.

Mow Line...

The grass wasn't so wet today so it did better on the tee boxes and greens

Posted (edited)

Oooh,  I saw it pop a wheelie in the 2nd video! 😆 

How are you liking the stability? Any new mishaps?

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 8:55 PM, Rob Person said:

How are you liking the stability? Any new mishaps?

It is the biggest drawback - and why I probably would not recommend this to anyone who has any hills, humps, bumps, shaping around greens, raised tee boxes etc…

IMG_5781.jpeg.90e9a8e43e68de6681960a07a074340a.jpeg  IMG_5786.jpeg.1ac83e8056d0c58b3355d25a457b33a3.jpeg

I have yet to play around where I’m not picking up clubs balls and tees from a tipped over cart. More likely to tip to the side off a down hill or side hill. Usually it just gets stuck when it leans backwards. 

On 5/7/2024 at 6:06 PM, bigdave18629 said:

"If a command is pressed on the remote and then nothing pressed for 60 seconds, the cart will stop as a precaution.

This is not true. It’s more like 20 or 30 seconds. Very annoying. Especially if you are walking just a pace or two behind it when it slams on the brakes. 

44 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

It is the biggest drawback - and why I probably would not recommend this to anyone who has any hills, humps, bumps, shaping around greens, raised tee boxes etc…

IMG_5781.jpeg.90e9a8e43e68de6681960a07a074340a.jpeg  IMG_5786.jpeg.1ac83e8056d0c58b3355d25a457b33a3.jpeg

I have yet to play around where I’m not picking up clubs balls and tees from a tipped over cart. More likely to tip to the side off a down hill or side hill. Usually it just gets stuck when it leans backwards. 

This is not true. It’s more like 20 or 30 seconds. Very annoying. Especially if you are walking just a pace or two behind it when it slams on the brakes. 

Ugh!  I can see why alot of cart manufacturers have gone to a 2 wheel rear stabilizer setup. 

I wonder if they make, or if you could make, a T bar off the back and add additional casters in the back?  Or is it more of a front weight shift issue causing it to cantilever?

Will you be selling it and moving onto a different make or model?

58 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Oh! Not good

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft