How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, cjeffs12 said:

My driver is really killing me, the toe strikes just put me in bad spots and put a ton of pressure on my approach game, it may be on the chopping block soon.

I'm in the same boat.  I feel like most of the other elements of my game are helping.  I have been looking at max game improvement drivers so that I can keep it closer to the fairway.  I don't care if I lose some distance.

• Like 4

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

I'm in the same boat.  I feel like most of the other elements of my game are helping.  I have been looking at max game improvement drivers so that I can keep it closer to the fairway.  I don't care if I lose some distance.

Same! I switched from a Ping to the Sim for more yards. Even if I give up 5-10 yards to be more accurate, if I'm not always in the trash, it would be worth it. 

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Project X HZRDUS Small Batch Green w/PVD 60 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Accra TZ RPG 362 M5

:srixon-small: ZX 3 Hybrid 19* HZRDUS Black 95 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW Project X 6.0

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50.10 Mid, 54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Full Face 60.09 Dynamic Gold TI Spinner

:cleveland-small:  HB Soft Milled #4 UST ALL-IN 34.5”

:srixon-small: Z-Star 💎

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:Arccos: Sensors w/ Caddie

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

Shot pretty well today, back to back birds on 11 and 12 will fix many things.

its nice when you’re fully warmed up and swinging free. That’s a place that’s harder and harder to get to, when you’re just getting older and older

• Like 8

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

On 5/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Had a great time playing yesterday with @BIG STU at his home course. We didnt keep score and we didn't play our best but had a fun time. I got to see some of Stu's vintage clubs make their way in and out of the bag and I did manage to show Stu what my new driver can do. The weather behaved this time and we got all 18 in. Great to get out with a fellow Spy. It was also nice to have a course tour guide to tell me where to hit, which holes to club up on and such. The course had great layout but did need a little TLC. But value for the money was killer. It helps to know people who know people. The course owners took care of us. 

Stu decided that walking the course with his Motocaddy would not be in the cards in his future and since I did show a lot of interest during testing he decided to give it to me with the cart bag as well. That was totally out of the blue and shows that kind of guy he is. I was pretty floored with his generosity and he didn't want anything in return. He just wanted a fellow spy to use it.

So I might be late to the testing party for this item but be sure that I will either do my review in the comments or unofficial review area. I am looking foward to seeing how this baby will do in the  mountains of Tennessee. That was my concern back while the official tests were going on. Maybe this will take off the last 5 pounds I'm looking to shed. 

Thanks again Stu

On 5/26/2022 at 5:37 AM, BIG STU said:

The pleasure was all mine.  Guys that driver is a weapon in his hands and so is his 3 wood. 

The owners and staff at our course are amazing people and they would have treated you and Tim the same way had you not been with or even known me. Yeah I love the place more for the people and atmosphere but I love the course layout. It is nice when you can play a course and not only know the staff and members but residents along the course as well. 

On the Motocaddy I felt I had not properly gave it a good test even though I tried. It did help me tremendously on my back rehab. Giving it to Tom will put it from one extreme to the other. What I did here was just part of my make up. I have only done 3 tests simply because newer stuff does not appeal to me and I do not want to take away from someone that would actually use the equipment. Of the 3 tests I have done I kept the Precision Pro Range finder and still use it today. The Renegar wedges I stored for a while and then gave them to a guy I know. I am glad Tom will use and further test the Motocaddy. He says he needs to lose 5 lbs but I can not see where but I will defer that to him.

Man, I wish I could’ve joined you two (and Tom’s BIL) out there. I’m still not able to play yet, and Tom was here what? 3 weeks ago? This sciatica is kicking my butt. Every time I think it’s getting better, it flares right back up. I’m supposed to be a tester for a putter that’s arriving Wednesday, and right now I’m wondering how I’m going to pull that off. 🙄

I’m glad you two had a good time, and Stu, good on you for showing Tom some Southern hospitality! BTW did you boys hit up the Masters or Dollhouse? 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Driver:         :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 10.5* 

Fairway:      :taylormade-small: 2016 M2 16.5*

Hybrid:      :PXG: Gen5 0311 18*

:titleist-small:  TSi2 21* & 24*

Irons:          :PXG: Gen3 0311 XP 6-GW

Wedges:     :cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58* 

Putter:         :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5 33.5” 

:yes-small: Tracy 33.5”

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow 

:1590477705_SunMountain:  2.5 4 way Black 

1 minute ago, Grand Stranded said:

Man, I wish I could’ve joined you two (and Tom’s BIL) out there. I’m still not able to play yet, and Tom was here what? 3 weeks ago? This sciatica is kicking my butt. Every time I think it’s getting better, it flares right back up. I’m supposed to be a tester for a putter that’s arriving Wednesday, and right now I’m wondering how I’m going to pull that off. 🙄

I’m glad you two had a good time, and Stu, good on you for showing Tom some Southern hospitality! BTW did you boys hit up the Masters or Dollhouse? 😂

😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Played yesterday in the sweltering Georgia heat and a tad hungover… needless to say I was shaky at best hitting the ball but managed to have a great day off the tee and with the wedge around the greens.  Hit the flag stick twice and chipped in for birdie once. 

Playing well with a wedge is not typical for me but it’s something I’ve been practicing hard at this year.  Overall I felt like I hit the ball pretty poorly(only hit 5 greens all day) but somehow managed to card a number that lowered my handicap(I typically hover around a 9-10 and carded an 81 yesterday)  It was a weird feeling almost like I am primed for a break thru soon because some of the things I’ve struggled with have been what has saved me recently.

What are some key occurrences that you guys see when you are about to break thru and put together a nice scoring streak?  Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts. 

• Like 7

Driver - Cobra SZ 8* Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

3W - Cobra SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

3H - Tour Edge 21* 3H Tour AD DH-95x

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

On 6/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, JerryB said:

Played our informal work scramble at River Heights yesterday with Owen, our buddy Kevin, and my dad.  We played -2 on the front and +2 on the back.

Kevin's an avid golfer but he and his wife bought a boat last summer so this was the first time he picked up a club this season.  He also has two drivers and two 3 woods in his bag because he's always struggled with longer clubs.  He helped with a few nice chips and putts.

My dad played with us a couple times last year, which was the first time he'd swung a club in over ten years.  He's pretty good but he's pretty beat up right now; he needs ankle surgery and another shoulder surgery.  Unfortunately, he's the type that puts those things off as long as possible.  He claimed otherwise, but I could tell he was in a lot of pain almost immediately.  We actually took a few of his drives early on because they were short but dead center in the fairway every time. 

Owen carried us for the most part; more than half our shots were his.  His short approach game wasn't good but his drives and long approaches were great.

I really struggled with tempo again.  When I made good connection I was rock solid but I was like Fulton Reed in the first Mighty Ducks: can only make one out of five.  After a few good rounds my irons were starting to tug to the left again.  The two times I tried to compensate for it I hit them dead straight.  My putting was maddeningly close; too many times I had it read correctly just to end a ball rotation short or burn the edges.  Almost feels better to miss badly, LOL.

A lot of pin locations that were very close to the edge of the greens and it seems like no matter where it was, we were chipping from the short side.  We were decent enough on the front but really faded on the back nine.  On almost each of the last six holes we put ourselves in trouble and couldn't recover.  But, a good time was (hopefully) had by all!

Awesome round! It's been fun following along with you and watching your progress. Congratulations on your personal best!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I went back out today and played nine holes with my friends from work today at Bear Trace. It was a beautiful, but sweltering hot day. I took a screenshot of the temperature from about ten minutes ago and you can see the heat index at almost 9 pm was 99. 

2063287943_Screenshot_20220613-205410_TheWeatherChannel-01.jpeg.a13e1af68101adae97a55565c1c1de26.jpeg

My partner and I ended up carding a +9 45 and the other guys had a +3 39. 

It was fun watching Brandon and Poe play well, even if they decimated Chris and I. As for my play, my driver continued to be a weapon, the wedges were solid, and I had a good day with the putter sinking a couple of long (20 ft+) putts.

My irons continue to be a problem, I think I hit two decent shots. I was plagued by the shanks again, but it bumfuzzles me that I could make not solid contact with everything else. It'll get there. I'm planning on calling a local pro this week to schedule a lesson and hopefully they can start the unenviable task of fixing my swing. 

20220613_174058-01.jpeg.49a7a7145cb9edb2d05bc1544d71dac5.jpeg20220613_175737-01.jpeg.ffb9000a29212a6ce842a17293b14a54.jpeg20220613_182611-01.jpeg.1ed70584a29105f19533a638886648a8.jpeg20220613_185423-01.jpeg.db9f5cf7a024ce4bfe29bda877844c89.jpeg

Nice course!!  Sounds like parts of your game are coming together.  Your pro should be able to identify your exact cause of the shanks; there are more than one.  It's such a common problem as you have heard from many of us, that pros have seen it more than just a couple of of times. If it makes you feel any better... a shank is only 0.5 inches from being a solid shot.  😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, JerryB said:

Now, the... also good news.  I broke 90 for the first time.  The whole "swing easy" idea really took hold this time and other than one wayward drive I was really good off the tee.  Long clubs were good with only one ugly chunk.  Even used a hybrid to putt from off a long green to just a few feet from the pin. 

Irons were good and I even hit my PW off a tee to three feet to the pin.  Coming right to left it just missed the ace.  My one birdie of the day.  Added four pars, two doubles and a triple.  Went 45/42 for 87 (+16).  Shot of the day was probably drive on 16 where I talked Paul into switching drivers and we both hit long and straight.

Congratulations!!  That's not breaking 90... an 87 is smashing it!

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Got in a pretty solid practice round today. I hit the ball well with only two bogies. The first one was on the second hole. This hole is a killer. First shot is 200 yards to center of the fairway and centered on the sharp dog leg left. Your now at the 150 yard marker but its three extra clubs uphill and guarded by two huge bunkers in the front with 2 yards between them. The green slopes from back to front. You don't want to be past the pin or be short. I wound up 6 feet past the pin. I missed the putt and now off the green. Coming back 12 feet It sat on the edge. Three putt. 

The other was on straight away hilly par 4. The tee shot starts from higher ground. Then it goes down hillI, then up, then down, then up to the green. I put my second shot up in the greenside trap and the sand was hard as a rock. The club bounced off the hard pan and wound up 25 feet past the pin. Missed that putt but had a tap in. I wish they would fix the traps. I wound up 2 over for the round. I'm fine with that. 

After the round I hit the range to sharpen the 6 iron, 5 hybrid, and 7 wood. I wanted to make sure I had them gapped correctly and knew their distances.  Big round next week. 

Sounds like the wedge from the bunker needed to be "sharpened".  🤣

• Like 3

Well this post could most likely be in 4 thread topics, but since I actually did play 18 holes on a course without keeping any scores due to being more of a practice, and trial of some new to me equipment.

Went Sunday afternoon to Stoney Creek Metropark not far from my house. Played as a single with SWMBO coming along for the ride. When I got there, I did meet up with a couple of other guys I have played with in the past, they were making the turn as I went to the first tee. One of them was going to play 27, so we agreed to pair up once I finished the front nine.

Thanks to blackngold_blood I had a couple of new to me driver heads, and a couple of new to me shafts to try, and then decide which one if any would replace my current Titleist TS3 set-up.

Initailly started with the Ventus Black in a TSi2 9 degree head, and the Ventus TR in a TSi3 10 degree head. Hit both drivers "as initially set" on the first tee, and swapped shafts around a few times during the first 6 holes, using both off each tee that wasn't a par 3. Made a decision on the 8th tee that the TSi2 head with the Ventus Black shaft allowed me to hit mid flight low launching bullets with a small baby draw. Played that driver exclusively on the back nine, and saw longer distances than my current gamer, with the same  or even more number of fairways hit.

An example would be holes 12, 14, and 18 which all are between 390 - 375 yards from the whites, I had an average of 130 - 140 yards left to the pins from the fairways. Not bad for both my age, and the lack of roll-out at a typical public course here.

Have these heads and shaft to try, on loan from a friend who owns a shop in GA, and is a Fuji dealer as well.

Hoping to get back out on Sunday again this week to make a final determination of which head/shaft combination I will get.

By the way, both heads have additional weighting so they each weigh 202 grams bare, and both shafts are 5S flex.

In my opinion, if I could get the same flight from the TSi3 10 degree head that the TSi2 9 degree head gives me, I would choose that as it "fits my eye" better, but the first testing results showed that the 10 degree head was a much higher launch and flight even with the Ventus Black shaft installed.

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

• Like 5

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TSi3 10 degree  - Ventus Black 5S & TS3 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged - Nippon Modus 120

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phantom  X 5

Ball: Pro V1

3 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

No Masters or Dollhouse this trip. Heck even the beach didn’t have many sight seeing opportunities. 
In Tulsa now. Southern Hills tomorrow baby. On a pleasant 96 degrees and humid day. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

5 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Negative on the Masters or the Doll House---- I do not do that sort of thing and not condemming it for others but Stu No Do----- I can relate to the back pain--- Since I have changed my swing I have not had any--- But my right knee is acting up bad--- May have to have surgery--- Right now the docs are duking it out over if it was accident related putting stress on that knee because of the accident or old age related. My Medicare kicks in Sept 1 if my total Disability does not first then the Medicare automatically kicks in. LOL I already have my Part A&B got it last week from the same agent my wife got hers at. It is retroactive with which one kicks in first

Man hope your back gets better

• Like 5

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Owen and I got in nine at River Heights today.  Right as I was setting up at the first tee, I got a notification that my new driver was delivered.  Final send-off for my R9.

Pretty ugly round.  Putting was atrocious.  Two 4 putts.  Wedges were coming up short.  Overall just a battle.  Ended up with a +16 52.

Edited by JerryB
  • Like 7

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

PXG 0211 3 wood and Tour Edge Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and SM8 60° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

No Masters or Dollhouse this trip. Heck even the beach didn’t have many sight seeing opportunities. 
In Tulsa now. Southern Hills tomorrow baby. On a pleasant 96 degrees and humid day. 

Man you do get around. It was so humid here yesterday that you could cut it with a knife. They aerated the greens at Indigo last week and the course was closed Wednesday through Sunday but they did play the Shootout Saturday. This week they are opening for the morning mostly league play and closing the afternoons to water the greens. I agreed with that decision because those greens as you saw are stressed out and we are within inches of loosing all of them. I know all last week the Mens and Ladies leagues played elsewhere and we had a sparse turn out Saturday. I think the morning deal this week is because the leagues raised the devil about going elsewhere and they are scared of loosing that base of players. Some of them are selfish and could care less if we lose the greens or not. I did put together 2 teams last week for AJ and he called me yesterday and I think I have 2 put together for this Saturday I know I have at least one because I gave my recent team to one of the guys that was trying to take over anyhow. My old running partner will be back from his Native Pennsylvania a week from Saturday so we are putting that team back together again. Yesterday I did go up to Tupelo and hit a small bucket of balls and putted some. Like I told AJ if those guys do not show up for the one team I can do the tag along thing or go home whatever. 

• Like 4

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Oh how I love* how this game can change so quickly:

Played a friendly game on Friday, last chance to finalise the Nippon Modus review. 

1st: 3 wood - 290y, chip & 2 putts - par

2nd: 3 wood - wedge to 5 feet - birdie

3rd: bunker - chip - 2 putts - bogey

4th: 3 wood - 5 iron - chip - putt - birdie

5th: 6 iron - 2 putts - par

6th: 3 wood - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - bogey

7th: 3 wood - 7 iron - chip - putts - bogey

8th: 8 iron to 10 feet - lipped out - par

9th: 3 wood trees - chip out - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - double

4 over after 9 - looking good and on for my best ever round!!

10th: Driver 320y - 5 iron - 2 putts - par

11th: 3 wood - 9 iron - putts - par

12th: 3 wood - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - bogey

13th: 3 wood - 9 iron - 2 putts - par

14th: OB + rubbish - Triple

15th: Water - double

16th: Hack - hack - hack -etc - triple

17th: OB + rubbish  - double

18th: 3 wood - 6 iron - 2 putts - par

A great potential score ruined by 4 holes...🤬🤬🤬

• Sad 9

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

1 hour ago, DStar said:

Oh how I love* how this game can change so quickly:

Played a friendly game on Friday, last chance to finalise the Nippon Modus review. 

1st: 3 wood - 290y, chip & 2 putts - par

2nd: 3 wood - wedge to 5 feet - birdie

3rd: bunker - chip - 2 putts - bogey

4th: 3 wood - 5 iron - chip - putt - birdie

5th: 6 iron - 2 putts - par

6th: 3 wood - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - bogey

7th: 3 wood - 7 iron - chip - putts - bogey

8th: 8 iron to 10 feet - lipped out - par

9th: 3 wood trees - chip out - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - double

4 over after 9 - looking good and on for my best ever round!!

10th: Driver 320y - 5 iron - 2 putts - par

11th: 3 wood - 9 iron - putts - par

12th: 3 wood - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - bogey

13th: 3 wood - 9 iron - 2 putts - par

14th: OB + rubbish - Triple

15th: Water - double

16th: Hack - hack - hack -etc - triple

17th: OB + rubbish  - double

18th: 3 wood - 6 iron - 2 putts - par

A great potential score ruined by 4 holes...🤬🤬🤬

Trust me it happens and this is coming from a guy who had 9 birdies in a Mini Tour event one day and still shot 80---- No Joke--- But I did win most of the 2 skins pots---- In fact I won more on the skins pot than the guy who won the event did--- LOL won one skin on a difficult Par 3 with a Par chip in the only par I made all day. Crazy game

• Like 6