Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

How long do you play a ball before retiring it?

14 hours ago, MichaelC_81 said:

@Splatt can relate to this... he could land in a glass of water off the tee 🤣

8 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I don’t retire them. They either quit and hide out for someone else to use or commit suicidal by drowning. 

I too have a fatal attraction to water.

My league course is water free and miraculously went the whole season without losing a ball.

After seeing that scuffs limit distance, I'll be moving quite a few to practice status

image.png.6b3b6168e63528e2b84c8746a0f779cd.png

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

I play them till I lose them, unless they’re really effed up, at the speed I swing scuffs  don’t really make a difference!!!

I’m a 69 year old retired carpenter and part time employee of a golf course! I golf multiple times a week and play in a league and some tournaments and outings! Sixteen years ago I had my left shoulder replaced, it had an affect on my swing but it didn’t stop me from playing the greatest game on grass !!!!

I don't worry too much about cosmetic damage. A ball goes in the bin when it has been damaged in a way that will influence how it rolls on the green. My course has very firm and fast greens so any imperfection can negatively impact putting. Full swings compress the ball enough to negate surface scuffs for the most part. 

Steven "Marty" Grant

I play a 9 hole round everyday, and I usually retire a golf ball to water ball status after 30 days of use. That is, I will only use that ball on water holes. If it avoids the water for 30 days I donate it to the driving range. 

I play a ball (Pro V1x) until the cover is marred enough to feel. That could be several rounds - unless I’m hitting full Spin Milled wedge shots, in which case a ball might be replaced after one full swing. 

31 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

But I have days when I use a full sleeve.  🤣

Only one sleeve? 😜

I will usually keep a ball active for 36 holes barring any adventures with cart paths or trees.  If the cover loses a little paint it becomes a provisional ball or for high risk tee shots (e.g., long carry over water).  Any damage that alters the cover beyond cosmetics (e.g, cart path rash, little cover spikes) and ball is out of play. 

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I replace whenever there is damage, no matter how slight. MGS studies have demonstrated that even small imperfections can lead to ugly ball flight problems.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

I am playing mine until the golf gods claim it back to the course, usually it is the water to the right of the fairway.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I play it until there is a very noticeable gouge or cut or the ball decides to leave in it's own 😁. Everyone has a different threshold of when to retire a ball. Do what works best or is most comfortable for you.

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

When it gets scuffed then retire it.  Until then keep playing it.  Golf balls are not cheap.

Driver: Taylormade OG SIM 10.5 - Diamana ZF 60x; 3 Wood - Taylormade OG Ti SIM 15 - Diamana ZF 70x; Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 Hybrid 21 - Evenflow Blue 85s; Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 - 4-PW; Wedges: Vokey 50, 56; Taylormade MG3 60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5 Black; Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

My callaway jaws destroys golf balls but if I’m doing good with a ball I’ll continue using it until my luck runs out which sometimes is possibly 4-5 rounds. I know the scuffs are hard to look at but I honestly don’t see much difference in flight and control with a damaged ball so it’s totally up to you and your wallet 

Driver-:PXG: Gen6 Tensei white 75g xflex tipped 9 degree

3 wood- :PXG:proto 

hybrid- :PXG: proto

irons- :mizuno-small: mp52

gw- :cleveland-small: 50 degree 

sw- :callaway-logo-1: jaws 56 degree

lw- :cleveland-small: 64 degree

putter- :PXG: bat attack

bag- :ping-small:

ball- :bridgestone-small:  :titleist-small:   

Lately I’ve been fortunate enough to play the same ball for a whole round.  The first time I did that I kept the ball on my desk.  Each time I do it now, they go right in the practice bucket for backyard drills.  

short answer: 1 round or until lost whichever comes first 

In golf, the most important distance is the five inches between the ears. - Bobby Jones 

I retire a ball when: 1) scuff mark from hitting a cart path or tree that may affect the ball flight, 2) My Sharpie markings gets faded or ball cover is no longer shiny, which is around 18 to 27 Holes, or 3) Whenever I lose my ball 🤣. The ball that survives condition 1 or 2 above, gets used for practicing my pitching, chipping and bunker shots.

HDCP: 2.5

1W: Titleist TSi2, 9*, Graphite Design XC6S

3W: Titleist TSr3 15*, Graphite Design XC7S

HY: Titleist TSr2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOS

4-9: Mizuno Pro 918, Nippon Modus 3 105S

PW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F46-10

GW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F50-12

SW: Mizuno T22, 54-8

LW: Mizuno T22, 60-6

P: LAB DF2.1, 33", 79.5* Lie Angle

6 hours ago, kikbuti said:

I play a ball until there is physical evidence that it has betrayed me.  That's why I don't play "found" balls.  They have already proven themselves to be unreliable.

To each their own.🙂 This is an existential debate.

Is it the archer or the bow? I figure they got lost because the wrong person was abusing them. They found me so I feel really lucky. I mean, lost balls have feelings to. They want to complete their mission. Just need the right owner. Someone who will treasure them, mark them with a USMC insignia so they feel special, wanted even.

I just used a found green Titleist for 11 rounds. Unfortunately I forgot to load the bow properly and set it off into some green shrubs that effectively hid it from me! Additionally, I may have  unfairly spoken to it quite sternly about the missed birdie putt on the last hole. So ya, hurt feelings are never good in a true and loyal partner. It's probably still sulking. I know I am.

No problem, reached in the bag for another ball I found as it's replacement. When one goes down another steps up. It's a team thing, a family thing.

I have played the same courses for 20 years+. Even if a ball is scuffed, if it goes where I am aiming it and close to the historical distance, than I keep playing it. Golf is very expensive without buying new balls and switching them out every nine holes! 

I will say I play for fun and no competitive rounds. If I was playing for money...

I would hope to find some of those balls from the people who use a new ball every 3 holes. Sounds "brand new" to me.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

As long as my ball doesn't decide for me, I play the ball until i see a significant scuff on them, either from a wedge shot, cart path, a tree, etc.  Then it becomes a practice, scramble or bad day ball.

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max 10.5° Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 55 Stiff

Fairway - :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max 3 Wood - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 65 Stiff

Irons - :ping-small: I230 4-PW - TT Dynamic Gold Stiff

Wedges -   :callaway-logo-1: Jaws MD5 50°, 54°, 58°

Putters - :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Stainless Newport Beach

5 hours ago, StripeyGreenTV said:

Like the idea of adding a dot each round 👍🏻

You can also make it unique. As an example mine starts as a smile with one eye, then two eyes, then two eyes and a nose. 

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR Stiff  
TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black Stiff
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black Stiff
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black Stiff
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Taylormade TP5

On 4/4/2024 at 2:55 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

For me: if a scuff or blemish is "feelable," I figure it is also going to influence the ball's aerodynamics, probably in an unpredictable way. That ball is ready for retirement to the garage, to be beat to its final death as a practice ball.

I do the exact same thing.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Evnroll ER2 head with a custom shaft set up from Positive Putters that gives a toe up balance

Ball: Calaway Chome Tour with triple track                     

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I hit the ball pretty hard and drive it (carry) 240. I played 2 18's and a 9 with the same Pro V believe it or not, cause I can't...lol... Even tho the ball was good luck, not loosing it wise, I donated it to the cart guy after that.

Driver: Titleist TSR2 w/GD TourAd DI shaft

FW Wood: TSR2 *16,5 w/ DI

Hybrid: Cobra King Tec *21

Irons: Titleist T350'S 5-gap

Wedges: Cobra SB blackout *54 *56 *60

Putter: Mizuno M Craft mallet w/3 gram weights

Ball: Maxfli Tour, OnCore Vero X1

27 holes is my number, maybe 36 if I'm playing really well and the ball isn't scuffed. A golf buddy says 100 hits (not putts) is the max. He plays Pinnacle's, had a ball break in half during a round after saying it was almost @ 100, guess he was right - for Pinnacle's anyway. 

Taylormade SIM2 Driver and 3 wood, PING 410 Hybrids (3, 4 &5) Taylormade 790 irons (7-PW), Vokey SM8 48, 52, 56, and 60 wedges and Nice to Pipe Putter

I’ll play a ball until it shows enough damage to affect the flight

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

I read an article years ago that talked about the life of golf balls. Supposedly it takes 250 shots with a driver at tour speeds before you need to replace them. Obviously that means if you don't damage them with cart paths, rocks or something else abrasive you can play one about as long as you don't lose it. 

As soon as I get comfortable with one, it up and leaves. Slice, fade, swimming, mud diving, zip lining, tree climbing.

The best one is when someone  takes it and it has been cursed!

I am what I am, and that is all that I am.

Usually can make 3 to 4 rounds unless it gets retired OB, as long as it not too blemished!! 

Stealth Plus 9 Driver

Cobra SZ Big 3 Wood 13.5

Cobra SZ 2 Hybrid 

Ping I-500 irons 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges 50,54,58

Odyssey Stroke Lab DbleWide Putter 

I'll play a ball until a feelable blemish/rough spot develops. If it's a gouge in the trash it goes. Blemish/ rough spots go in the on bag water hole reserve.  Excess over those 6 reserves go into the practice shag bag. After a season, I rotate the shag bag balls out to the range ball donation bag for use the following spring and summer range sessions..

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet