Your Putter Decision/Testing Process

For me, buying a putter usually involves a mix of gut feeling and data-driven decisions. I've had one fitting experience that reaffirmed a lot of what I already knew about my stroke. Like you, I've got my specs down pretty well: 34" length, slight pull tendency, and a preference for heftier putters with chunky grips.

When it comes to testing, I'm all about gathering as much info as I can. I rely on tools like Blast and HackMotion to dissect my stroke, and soon I'll be adding an ExPutt to the mix. But you know what? Sometimes, even after all the analysis, it still comes down to a gut feeling. Like that time I was torn between two putters, so I flipped a coin. It sounds crazy, but it worked! That little randomizer helped me realize which one felt right in the moment.

In the end, whether it's high-tech gadgets or a simple coin flip, finding the right putter is about finding what works for you. And hey, if you ever need to flip a coin to make a tough decision, I highly recommend it – it might just surprise you!

Edited by AlexaDelacruz

Putter fitting is 100% worth it, and SAM PuttLab was fantastic for me.
I used a significantly toe-hung putter for years and that was Allllll kinds of wrong.  I went face balanced and I'm rolling it much better.  It was quite a change to make reading greens, and I'm still working on that.  But I'm not over compensating for poor putter face path now.

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6, 34" standard shaft.

QB_1.jpeg

QB_2.jpeg

QB_3.jpeg

Edited by zstokes

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: 
 default_cameron-small.gif.5602ddbf1b327f1a1ae042f1224b598e.gif Super Select Golo 6, 37" Matador large grip

I used a DIY method rooted in as much tech and science at my disposal: the iPing putting app and various companies’ (Seemore and Ping) static measurements/online questionnaires. The data from hundreds of putts on the iPing app led me to a face balanced 2* flat putter; the static measurements put me in a 34 inch length. From there it was all trial and error- with lots and lots of error. The greatest difficulty was arriving at a putter I aimed correctly. The worst example was an Odyssey 10 Two Ball Triple Track that I thought I could possibly misalign with all the help and turns out I aimed it way right- terrible for me. Then I realized all the alignment aims led to poor distance control. So, long story short, I went back to a blade- Evnroll ER2v and that fixed my aim and distance control. (Did I mention I’m left eye dominant and RH?) Not using and alignment line or having a lot of distractions on the putter helped with the left eye dominance nonsense and poor distance control. Realizing the perpendicular lines of a blade also helped me set-up, I have now switched to an Evnroll EV 5.2 duo because I’m sick in the head - I haven’t used the same putter for more than a season in 10 years… but now I’m cured… I think. 
I know, I know- I should have just gone to get fitted, like 10 years ago. But what’s the fun in that? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

36 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

(Did I mention I’m left eye dominant and RH?)

Funny - so am I.  And in high school playing baseball I hit left handed.
But I swing a golf club right handed.  I've tried both and it's so strange that it worked out that way.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: 
 default_cameron-small.gif.5602ddbf1b327f1a1ae042f1224b598e.gif Super Select Golo 6, 37" Matador large grip

15 minutes ago, zstokes said:

Funny - so am I.  And in high school playing baseball I hit left handed.
But I swing a golf club right handed.  I've tried both and it's so strange that it worked out that way.

I actually putted lefty for a season- that’s how I ended up with a left hand low grip (I went back to the right side, but kept the grip.) I just couldn’t get used to looking at the hole from the other side. (Boy, that last line sounds terrible when you say it out loud). 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip