Best 3 wood for beginners?

Hpalmer006

Looking for a 3 wood to add to the bag preferably available for under £150 and very forgiving.

Taylormade R9,Burner 3h& 4-S and Odessey white hot putter

If you’re a beginner I would consider a 5 wood first (as well as a 7)

Shorter shaft and more loft would be easier to use. Once you get proficient with that maybe add a 3

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I agree start with a 5w. Maybe a 4w if you really had to get close to a 3w but 5 would be better. If you’re looking for what to buy go back in time and find an Adams Tight Lies 2 or Adams Super S. Both are stupid easy to hit. Neither will cost very much so the investment won’t be very much while you’re learning. I still have one of each in my backup/travel bag.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Looking for a 3 wood to add to the bag preferably available for under £150 and very forgiving.

I would suggest staying away from any Titleist woods. I’ve tried every wood and have landed on a stealth 2 regular not plus.

For the life of me, I struggle with Titleist woods even though I’d love to match the bag up more.

Ping is very forgiving along with Taylormade.

Driver:  default_taylormade-small.jpg.9a874ad8a996841fc076f0c36de3537c.jpg Qi 10 - 10.5
Fairway Wood - PingLogo.jpg.2ba9657d427a803ff130d8a153158c25.jpg G430 Max - 5 Wood
Hybrid - default_titelist-small.jpg.db420c3ca36fac3a72e048cee087d037.jpg TSR2 - 3 Hybrid
Irons - default_titelist-small.jpg.774a89cdc5052751964944dfd89f4abe.jpg T150 4-GW
Wedges - default_titelist-small.jpg.7a2037dc2c74ab24da80e97ff0dceb44.jpg SM10 54, SM10 60
Putter - ScottyCameronLogo.jpg.f77d1d73d7ad75bfdcd980355c253e55.jpg Phantom 5s
Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg.0f1f98b946a5d5ccfbd4befb41c0a2f6.jpg True-Feel

On 4/13/2024 at 5:15 PM, Hpalmer006 said:

I would agree with  Stroker Ace for the most part.  Most golfers find the 3 Wood the hardest club to hit effectively.  I remember my beginner set that came with woods, and irons, had  D, 5w, 7w....   I just realized you are in Scotland...  Now I bought what would be considered a "knock-off"  probably 25 years ago, in order to add a 3 wood, and 2H to my bag(Gigagolf Florida, USA).  At that time they cost me $37 a piece(and that included shipping and handling).  It goes the distance I need, has not come apart, and I am still using it to this day.  I just replaced the 2H in 2022,   because I gave it to my brother, not because anything had happened to it.  I was still using it as my 200 yard club.

I would perhaps check for a similar place around you.  This way you can try a 3 wood(for less expense) and  see if it is a club you are going to be able to hit, get used to, and as you improve see if  you find a need for one.  My brother doesn't carry one, never could get used to hitting it, has no confidence in it, so he rarely even brings one.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Due to loft 3w is one of the hardest clubs to hit off the deck and for some off the tee. Then add in whatever swing issues from a beginners swing and it becomes event harder to hit.

something between 16.5-19° wood is going to be a much better solution for most golfers regardless of handicap/skill level. Especially if one is lacking in speed.

the results will be more consistent and distance will be as long if not longer with the higher loft because of better launch conditions.

i would suggest not even playing a fairway wood initially and learn how to swing first before adding in that part of the bag