Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

MIDDLE OF GREEN, Try it, don’t be a hero.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I won’t argue this as an absolute Chris. You’re a smart guy and this totally backs up what you’re saying. 

really good discussion like @chisag and @DaveP043 have said. 

Definitely a good discussion;  I always learn something when we have this type of back and forth.     

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have always tried to play to percentages or best odds so to speak. First I look at the pins location and secondly look at where the trouble is. Large trap in front center I’ll aim left or right depending on if the pin is left or right. If the pin is center I’ll still shoot left or right to avoid trouble. 
I have a good short game so I am confident that I can get up and down even if I’m just off the green. But I rather be looking at a putt. 
Side note: My course has very small greens and all are elevated. So you need a good short game.  Our traps are just short of concrete so I avoid them as much as possible. 
There is no right answer if aiming for the center of the green is correct. But there is a better decision for each hole if you know your game. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

23 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have always tried to play to percentages or best odds so to speak. First I look at the pins location and secondly look at where the trouble is. Large trap in front center I’ll aim left or right depending on if the pin is left or right. If the pin is center I’ll still shoot left or right to avoid trouble. 
I have a good short game so I am confident that I can get up and down even if I’m just off the green. But I rather be looking at a putt. 
Side note: My course has very small greens and all are elevated. So you need a good short game.  Our traps are just short of concrete so I avoid them as much as possible. 
There is no right answer if aiming for the center of the green is correct. But there is a better decision for each hole if you know your game. 

This then offers the discussion of small v large greens. 

Theres a local course that I swear they hate their greens mowers because you could build 3500sqft homes on each complex. 

I cannot stand playing here because it’s a course where you’ll hit 16/18 greens and have 39 putts. 

What a game 😊

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 minutes ago, bens197 said:

This then offers the discussion of small v large greens. 

Theres a local course that I swear they hate their greens mowers because you could build 3500sqft homes on each complex. 

I cannot stand playing here because it’s a course where you’ll hit 16/18 greens and have 39 putts. 

What a game 😊

I wouldn’t know what to do with greens that big. Hopefully Since I’m used to small ones, I’ll be somewhat close to the pin🤣. At least my GIR’s would improve!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 5/4/2024 at 7:51 PM, cnosil said:

Definitely a good discussion;  I always learn something when we have this type of back and forth.     

The one thing that becomes clear is that there's good general advice, which is always followed by "but......".  Middle of the green, get as close to the hole as possible, get the putt to the hole, etc, are all reasonably good advice much of the time.  If a player wants simple advice, fine.  If they want to really do it right, they have to go a lot deeper into the subtleties.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Putting the recommendations to use — using 1-more club, aim center of green (consider typical dispersion) — Now ‘Breaking/near-80’ on a much more consistent basis. 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

a good video that addresses this topic a bit.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

... Awesome video @cnosil. Pros looking at their cover number have a 7 yd variance with iron approaches and a 5 index around 13 yds while mine is in-between and about 10yds on average. Some days are better than others of course. Perfect example is a par 3 with a deep bunker guarding the front left and a steep hill with a false front that will cause the ball to roll 70yds down a hill. This is a cover number plus 1/2 club because long isn't terrible but short is. Regardless of where the pin is, that cover number is important because the prevailing wind is against us, making club selection extremely important. I rarely see balls over the back of the green that has an upslope to stop it from rolling over the hill but my guess is, and especially for mid and high index players, about 80% of the time if they miss they come up short. And as the video stated so well, that cover number should be for a typical miss not a good shot. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I just saw this video! I loved it. This is definitely going to change how I look at the numbers I look at from now on!

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg