AutoFlex Dream7 Driver Shafts - 2024 Forum Member Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main threads in the links below!

@chisag - Main Post 

@KC Golf - Main Post 

@BallsLeon - Main Post 

@Kenny B -  Main Post 

@ZMendle10 - Main Post 

@Jean D - Main Post 

@nvizble1 - Main Post 

@Golfspy_CG2 - Main Post

10 hours ago, nvizble1 said:

AutoFlex Dream 7 Review

Hi everybody, my name is Mike and I am a lifelong hacker and golf enthusiast, and this is my first review, so please bear with me.  I greatly appreciate the opportunity to try out the AutoFlex SF 305x Dr, test it and give my opinions. Thanks very much to MGS and JD Golf for this chance.

While I don't play as much as I used to, golf is still a big part of my life and my workout/activity routine. Living in South FL, I get a lot of chances to spend time outdoors. Last year I upgraded my driver to a Callaway Paradym and also got a new Odyssey Ai One putter. This was all predicated on the excuse of teaching the game to my grandson--that always plays well with the Wife!

My Paradym has a HZRDUS shaft currently, but I struggle with distance off the tee and consistency.  I have never been "fitted" for a shaft, so I am hoping for some noticeable results. In fact, I don't even know the swing weight of my current set up 

I have to admit I was wowwed when I received the AF 305x shaft.....just look at this beauty!

I'll be going to the PGA Store today to get it loaded and ready for play next week.

I just started a new job, so if nothing else, I 'll be able to get a few indoor sessions in with it over the coming week or so.

More to come.....let's see if a technology upgrade can help the likes of me!

First Impressions

Got my local shop to do the setup and installation on the spot for me. That was very helpful and gave me more time to arrange some swings before hitting the practice range.

My old driver setup weighed in at D2; probably a little bit heavier than I needed. When we put the driver with the newly installed AutoFlex on the scale, it came in at C9 and had some flexion from the weight of the Paradym head.

Another beautiful South FL day today, so I took it to the range during lunch.  While warming up, it is easy to see and feel the extreme wiggliness and flexibility in this shaft.  I hit some wedges and short irons to get ready, and then hit about 25 drives.  I had to consciously slow down my swing but the performance was noticeable. There is no monitor or tech at this range, nor do I own any, but I could feel the clean impact and the drives all went to spots further than I have hit them before, even with the decreased swing effort. Several slices, but that is just user error and will take me some time to work out.

So far, I'd have to say I am impressed!

I talked to a guy at my club who got fitted in Palm Springs for an autoflex shaft. He’s in his early 70’s but has a 100mph swing speed. He said the easier he swings it the better results. Somewhere around 225-230 yds carry with a roll out to 250-55. He also says if he swings too hard he hits 150 yd duck hooks.

Happy Sunday all!!! I have to admit, I am enjoying all the feedback on the Dream 7. You guys are putting in the effort and commitment to get true and honest results..good or bad. It is much appreciated on our part. 
I can tell you that your assessments of the shaft are spot on to all the other feedback we have received. It takes some getting used to and if you can adjust to “the whippy” feel, it will produce some really good numbers.

Again, all your efforts are truly appreciated…

Beers on me!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Miura Irons

PING Driver

6 hours ago, Autoflexusa said:

Happy Sunday all!!! I have to admit, I am enjoying all the feedback on the Dream 7. You guys are putting in the effort and commitment to get true and honest results..good or bad. It is much appreciated on our part. 
I can tell you that your assessments of the shaft are spot on to all the other feedback we have received. It takes some getting used to and if you can adjust to “the whippy” feel, it will produce some really good numbers.

Beers on me!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Thanks Mike. Im hoping my results on Friday are a result of getting used to it, versus just q lucky day with my swing 😬

But either way the results showed the potential that is definitely there.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 hours ago, Autoflexusa said:

can tell you that your assessments of the shaft are spot on to all the other feedback we have received. It takes some getting used to and if you can adjust to “the whippy” feel, it will produce some really good numbers.

... I was hoping for some increased distance from a "whippy" lightweight shaft. I was't expecting increased accuracy and better dispersion. It has been a very pleasant surprise. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

8 hours ago, Autoflexusa said:

Beers on me!!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

It’s been a great shaft so far.  It does require a smoother transition and overall swing. But it has been a lot of fun to test so far.  Still learning about its strengths and weaknesses.  But impressed so far.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

Played a quick 9 this afternoon at Stittsville golf course here in Ottawa… and it wasn’t a good day for me with the SF405x and the Qi10 LS head.  I did hit some really nice drives (240-260yds+)…but they were onto the other fairway 😞& my FIR was 17% today.  Painful.  It got to the point that I didn’t pull out my driver for the remaining 4 holes and used my 3 hybrid (and of course, shot 220-225yds right down the fairway.  Ugh.)

Going back to the Qi10Max head tomorrow to see if my FIR’s and distances come back to ‘normal’. I am very happy to see @KC Golf , @chisag, @ZMendle10 and @Golfspy_CG2 are having great success with the shaft, today just wasn’t that day for me.

JD 

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) 

Fairway Woods: NEW Cobra LTDx King 3 & 5 FW (Project-X Hzrdus iM10 Smoke Green 60g 5.5R)

Irons: TaylorMade Qi 6-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0 Mallet

Grips: GolfPride CP2 Wrap Jumbo

New Gamer Ball: 2024 Bridgestone Tour B RX 

1 hour ago, Jean D said:

Played a quick 9 this afternoon at Stittsville golf course here in Ottawa… and it wasn’t a good day for me with the SF405x and the Qi10 LS head.  I did hit some really nice drives (240-260yds+)…but they were onto the other fairway 😞& my FIR was 17% today.  Painful.  It got to the point that I didn’t pull out my driver for the remaining 4 holes and used my 3 hybrid (and of course, shot 220-225yds right down the fairway.  Ugh.)

Going back to the Qi10Max head tomorrow to see if my FIR’s and distances come back to ‘normal’. I am very happy to see @KC Golf , @chisag, @ZMendle10 and @Golfspy_CG2 are having great success with the shaft, today just wasn’t that day for me.

JD 

At our levels Jean every day is an adventure 😬 I’m sure tomorrow will be much better with the MAX.  I know its definitely a more forgiving club than the LS. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Posted (edited)

I set out to play 54 holes of golf this weekend and I am happy to report that goal was accomplished yesterday at approximately 6:30 PM. I played 18 holes on Friday at Beaver Brook Country Club and then on Saturday I played at 2 new courses. the first 18 was at Mountain View Golf Club and the 2nd 18 was at Reading Country Club. This was potentially my last weekend being able to take the Dream 7 out onto the course so I wanted to put in Maximum Effort. 

Friday 05/24: Beaver Brook Country Club

Beaver Brook was a funny round. There was no range but I did go to Golf Cave before to warm up and try and get reacquainted with the feel of the Dream 7. Warmup session was okay where I didn't leave feeling the most confident but I attributed that to my body just not feeling super loose even after the session. Unfortunately that carried over to the course and the first two holes were not a great start for the Dream 7. The course got pretty tight after the first two holes so I kept it in the bag till the 17th hole and just used my mini driver instead.

image.png.287b9933a9da76699c4c95dc9f460988.png image.png.04ba41bafac310b1d3d1f1d7a2d5d5bf.png

When it came to 17 and 18 I figured that I was loose enough and the swing felt good so why not give it another chance but was seeing more of the same results. Just a very weak fade on 17 and a massive slice on 18 that stayed safe. I can't present the Arcoos data for this round because I used my mini driver off the tee on every other par 4 and that club was working so the accuracy data and distance data would be skewed and not be a true reflection of driving data. 

image.png.979437990c2302d9cc6e7c8b8057a1d3.png image.png.b5c426979c8d59a638566a1b3291cc2d.png

Below are the results from the PRGR on the course and it also wasn't the fastest day for the Dream 7 either. Reflecting back on the round I don't think I was trusting my swing and just trying to control the golf club rather than let it do it's thing. This was causing lots of doubt in myself and my equipment which is never going to yield good results. Not there was a lot of swing thoughts but there was a lot of doubt. With the Ping G400 release I think their tagline was stop steering and start driving meaning just let the club do the work and stop trying to control everything. During this round I was definitely steering and not driving. 

image.png.267dfbc76691eb3d29627c982e1f417c.png

Saturday 05/25 Round 1: Mountain View Golf Course

After Friday's debacle of a driving day I wanted to test the UB7X and Dream 7 head to head. Because I didn't have a lot of trust in the Dream 7 still and wanted to start the round off with some confidence. The UB7X did what it was billed for and what I expected of it. A bit slow on the swing speed with the miss being a weak floaty fade but nothing that will put me in trouble. I did pull on drive a bit OB but that was user error and not the shaft. Something that my swing can be prone to. 

image.png.64983ef5efa11c68bff5f266fa448278.png

After the front 9 I was feeling confident on the swing but a bit uneasy about the Dream 7 still. However I said I was gonna do 9 holes with each shaft so I popped the Dream 7 into  the TSR3 and committed. As the round progressed the confidence started to show and my club speed with the Dream 7 was significantly higher than with the UB7X. 117mph seemed easy to achieve with the Dream 7 and would be very tough to get with the UB 7X. The Dream 7 did have an interesting one on hole 17 where the driver brushed the ground a bit but if you heard the strike and saw the ball flight you would never of known. The club head speed is a misread but that ball was sent into a very pretty high draw. It ended up kicking right off the fairway and maybe got a cart path bonus to the final distance. 

image.png.16cc39e7046a7b16c816aeb21a2c3b44.png

Saturday 05/25 Round 2: Reading Country Club

Round 2 on Saturday was at Reading Country Club in Reading PA. This course was one nowhere near where I live and a course I will probably never play again because of it's distance from me. The reason I ended up here was because my fiancé works for the USGA in partnerships and is in Lancaster for the Women's US Open for 2 weeks so I made the trek up to visit her. She told me work was taking a client out to dinner and told me to take my time getting there so I  stumbled upon Reading Country Club which broke up the drive there. 

Now for the golf. Initially I was planning on doing the same thing at Mountain View of 9 holes with each shaft starting this time with the Dream 7 but that plan quickly changed. The Dream 7 kicked things off with a massive 298 yard drive that was all carry and in front of a group of people taking wedding photos. After that it was just drive after drive of being in control. I had found a free flowing mentality that was working and I wasn't giving that up any time soon. The only "bad" drive was just a pull that ended up OB but that happened earlier in the day with the UB7X and is a me problem not a shaft problem. Ball flight was a consistent high fade that was what I expected with a few being a bit more on the penetrating side of ball flight. image.png.9eddc443437e09fb15fc0476125a7eb9.png

Due to the high ball flight the carry was up but overall distance was about the same as the UB7X. But the ball speed had some flashes of brilliance and that was super encouraging to see club head and ball speed as high as it was at times. Since I only used the Dream 7 the Arccos data was accurate and  was a big improvement overall. The key takeaway is when this shaft is on it is a game changer. Now to work on catching that lightning in a bottle more consistently. 

image.png.f7af9117796ae35bf40e2327253096d0.pngimage.png.6b6b0ceff097e8d8047f4adf98a0279e.pngimage.png.c86c47d64251258c20e7502972f78677.png

Edited by ZMendle10

Driver:   TSR3 8°, set to B1, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 6TX 

3 Wood: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid:  CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 9X

2 Utility:  ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°:  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60°  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  Mezz1 Max

Ball:  Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

Currently Testing

Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

Unofficial TSR3 Review

Tried the 6 gram weight in my TSR3 today.   I had it in the GC Quad Sim against the GD shaft.  

Hit warmups driving irons and then went into 10 and 10 back and forth to see which driver shaft was better. Couldn’t save it into Foresight, so I took photos of my results which I will add later.  Spin with the lighter weight was higher which decreased distance for me compared to the stock 8 gram weight.  Could be a feel and SW issue for me.

The AF was longer but didn’t seem as comfortable as the AF with the stock 8 gram weight.  Got out on the course and while AF and the lighter head weight was good, but I didn’t like the feel of it compared to the stock 8 gram weight.  It also didn’t go as far distance wise in real world conditions.

So made an executive decision on 6th hole to switch it out and go back to the stock 8 gram weight.  Hit a few more drives and it performed pretty well.   To be honest I didn’t drive it that well today for some reason.  Anyway will try it again outdoors this week.

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

Quick update… I have now hit 1237 drives!!!! (737 on the SF405x, 250 on the Tensei and 250 on the C6 Blue) and working through the data: Club Head speed, Ball Speed, Launch Angle, Carry Distance and Total Distance.  I couldn’t include backspin as I don’t track that data point while on course or at the driving range (the MLM 2 Pro requires the dot pattern on the ball to give spin data). It’s a LOT of data to sift through, but I am hopeful that it will prove useful to the folks in my handicap range!

I am not done my testing or review yet, but aiming to have it all completed by the middle/end of next week. Some of the data has absolutely blown my mind and other bits have left me scratching my head a little. 

JD

Fairway Woods: NEW Cobra LTDx King 3 & 5 FW (Project-X Hzrdus iM10 Smoke Green 60g 5.5R)

On 5/25/2024 at 11:35 AM, nvizble1 said:

AutoFlex Dream 7 Review

Hi everybody, my name is Mike and I am a lifelong hacker and golf enthusiast, and this is my first review, so please bear with me.  I greatly appreciate the opportunity to try out the AutoFlex SF 305x Dr, test it and give my opinions. Thanks very much to MGS and JD Golf for this chance.

While I don't play as much as I used to, golf is still a big part of my life and my workout/activity routine. Living in South FL, I get a lot of chances to spend time outdoors. Last year I upgraded my driver to a Callaway Paradym and also got a new Odyssey Ai One putter. This was all predicated on the excuse of teaching the game to my grandson--that always plays well with the Wife!

My Paradym has a HZRDUS shaft currently, but I struggle with distance off the tee and consistency.  I have never been "fitted" for a shaft, so I am hoping for some noticeable results. In fact, I don't even know the swing weight of my current set up 

I have to admit I was wowwed when I received the AF 305x shaft.....just look at this beauty!

I'll be going to the PGA Store today to get it loaded and ready for play next week.

I just started a new job, so if nothing else, I 'll be able to get a few indoor sessions in with it over the coming week or so.

More to come.....let's see if a technology upgrade can help the likes of me!

First Impressions

Got my local shop to do the setup and installation on the spot for me. That was very helpful and gave me more time to arrange some swings before hitting the practice range.

My old driver setup weighed in at D2; probably a little bit heavier than I needed. When we put the driver with the newly installed AutoFlex on the scale, it came in at C9 and had some flexion from the weight of the Paradym head.

Another beautiful South FL day today, so I took it to the range during lunch.  While warming up, it is easy to see and feel the extreme wiggliness and flexibility in this shaft.  I hit some wedges and short irons to get ready, and then hit about 25 drives.  I had to consciously slow down my swing but the performance was noticeable. There is no monitor or tech at this range, nor do I own any, but I could feel the clean impact and the drives all went to spots further than I have hit them before, even with the decreased swing effort. Several slices, but that is just user error and will take me some time to work out.

So far, I'd have to say I am impressed!

After following a lot of the comments made here and two weeks of business travel 🙄 , I made it back out to the range on Memorial Day to work with the driver again. I am prone to overswinging, so it is hard for me to remember not to take the club back so far or swing so hard. This shaft definitely reinforces that for me because I sliced every shot I tried to crush. The slow swings produced less dispersion, a few more yards and much more roll out. I don't expect much to change in the next week, but weather permitting, I will take it out for some more testing. 

20240508_103333.jpg

Maybe I should try playing left handed!

Posted (edited)

Memorial Day Weekend Recap...

Sunday - 5/26 - St. Andrews (18 holes)
On paper this course should be the easiest of the three, but I never can seem to play well here. Sunday was no different, with me never finding my game. Not the fault of the AF as I was struggling to hit anything off the tee, including par 3s. Still was a great start to the weekend, with fantastic weather to walk the course and good company.
image.png.43bacd98bc62df18e66ce4d0b36fa2e5.pngimage.png.680ffb5566302f43c2e6531bbbc27051.png

Monday - 5/27 - Drumm Farm (18 holes)
Had a good warm-up the next morning, started finding my swing again and more notably my AIM! This is a new to me course, and while the fairways were rather wide I was pleasantly surprised with where I was placing the ball off the tee. Checking with my rangefinder I was hitting about ~250yds on most drives, but had a couple roll beyond that. Did have two big right misses on back to back holes, but didn't end up getting punished because I landed on the opposite fairway both times lol. Pretty happy with how things went for my first time playing this course, and hopefully next time I can tidy up my chipping and approach game. Bonus, they have sheep,
image.png.56fd1cb6083868f1e95d9662018884f4.pngimage.png.16b46baba027f4d62a4eaf01b4b694c7.png
Wednesday - 5/29 Fred Arbanas (9 holes)
Got out yesterday for an outdoor lesson with my GolfTEC instructor. Another course I had not played before, but seems great from what I saw on the back 9. While accuracy wasn't as good as at Drumm Farm I was pretty happy with how I was getting off the tee, and only ended up losing one ball to tall native grass. Finished off strong with a ~270yd drive to the middle of the fairway to set me up for 1 of my only 2 GiRs. Having my instructor there asking me what I wanted to do on my next shot, and providing feedback was very helpful (especially a second set of eyes for reading putts!).
image.png.c40c0e67d343586388e104c88104bcab.png

Really starting to get a long with the AutoFlex at this point. Seeing my Fairway Hit% trend upwards in both GHIN and Trackman, and it's starting to show in my scores as my handicap index ticks down:
image.png.65439bba6af76ac6c1493d21c22cc06f.png

Edited by BallsLeon

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

Posted (edited)

Also... some questions I've been wondering since this testing started... 😅

Is it AutoFlex or autoFlex?

Similarly, is it Dream7 or Dream 7?

Finally, last question for my fellow testers... has everyone noticed the cats on the logo??
IMG_2551.jpg.724c7cc3a93b450b7f934692b40cbfa2.jpg

Edited by BallsLeon

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)

21 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Finally, last question for my fellow testers... has everyone noticed the cats on the logo??

Looking at the AF site in Korea, I believe it is “autoFlex”

Just thought I would send a pic of this sweet ball cap too.  It looks even better in person.  Thank you AF!

image.jpg.dbf9c8d79bc46122a2ee7fb8cb125d71.jpg

1 hour ago, BallsLeon said:

I did...even when doing my best ignore them. It certainly isn't a very subtle paint scheme!!

4 hours ago, nvizble1 said:

20240508_103333.jpg

... I am old school and prefer a black shaft with a black driver head. 🤓  I am happy with my Dream 7 color but I have to admit that black/gold on orange is stunning. Due to the unique nature of the autoFlex and having a unique color scheme, I certainly would not be mad at this combo. 

I was always of the opinion if you're going to have a fancy shaft, may as well make sure everyone knows it with bright colors! If I were going to get the OG autoFlex I would absolutely be going for the rainbow 😂

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:srixon-small: - Z-Star Diamond

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Sorry for the lack of updates the past week.  As many of you know we have the Annual MGS Outing going on in Williamsburg, VA Near MGS Headquarters.  

As a result of that i had the AF shaft on the range for anyone that wanted to try it. 
@GolfSpy SAM was probably the most astonished of the group.  I think he was about ti make a plea to @GolfSpy_APH to change the rules that a tester cant sell a club they tested until its life cycle has ended.   Ha just kidding of course. But he was getting some very solid numbers and loved the straight flight  

Hey, there's nothing written anywhere that says you can't GIVE someone the shaft...

Lol. It's a monster combo. 

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Posted (edited)

Here is the data comparing the TSR3 using my gamer shaft GD Tour AD Di 6S (Titleist fitter set up) vs AF Dream 7 405x (TXG CC Set up) vs. AF Dream 7 (with AF recommended Swing weight).  Note, I did not take out outliers.  So some are short and offline.  Shaft weight difference 65 grams vs 50 grams based on OEM data.

Graphite Design (C2 draw bias surefit setting with -1 deg loft, so 8 deg)

IMG_8020.jpeg.88b4bae7755b8778a94e5d2f82aa4a28.jpeg

AF SF 405x 50 gram shaft with 6 gram TSR weight (-2 grams) set to B1 (slight fade bias).  Ignore 2W label, just used it for the different colour.  Note ball speed pick up, but slightly higher spin.

IMG_8021.jpeg.5266f6956126d37ae170c1ff1a29f9d6.jpeg

Dispersion comparison: Blue dots GD vs Yellow dots AF

IMG_8027.jpeg.68f182bf21d0b21fec8cd6604e54db67.jpeg

Separate Day did the same AF settings, but with the regular 8 gram weight which enables the proper AF recommended swing weight of C9 - D0.5.  This is the set up I like on the course so far.  I like the feel of the driver head during the swing and at impact.  Note: 10 shots no deletion of outliers.

IMG_8029.jpeg.7fcc54cf5370f88c770edf6032a0770a.jpeg

Note Dispersion in blue dots.  The other colours were just warm ups with other clubs.

IMG_8033.jpeg.a4f13a59c0e461e19fd98486e3d54901.jpeg

May try adjusting loft down 1 deg to see if distance and dispersion improves.  I was not hitting it well as I can hit it, but it’s probably an average day for me on both sessions.

The one thing these charts don’t show is that my shot shape seems straighter across the board with the AF even on misses.  Interestingly as CC testing noted, the lighter weight in the head increases ball speed due to the KHT tip.  I think more experience needed with the 6 gram weight.  Somehow I will need to reduce the spin in the CC recommended setting.

I hope this is helpful.  It’s a lot of data to analyze.

Edited by KC Golf

15 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

Here is the data comparing the TSR3 using my gamer shaft GD Tour AD Di 6S (Titleist fitter set up) vs AF Dream 7 405x (TXG CC Set up) vs. AF Dream 7 (with AF recommended Swing weight).  Note, I did not take out outliers.  So some are short and offline.  Shaft weight difference 65 grams vs 50 grams based on OEM data.

Graphite Design (C2 draw bias surefit setting with -1 deg loft, so 8 deg)

IMG_8029.jpeg.cde1edda1fdff6d8793cc3d62de36f02.jpeg

AF SF 405x 50 gram shaft with 6 gram TSR weight (-2 grams) set to B1 (slight fade bias).  Ignore 2W label, just used it for the different colour.  Note ball speed pick up, but slightly higher spin.

IMG_8021.jpeg.5266f6956126d37ae170c1ff1a29f9d6.jpeg

Dispersion comparison: Blue dots GD vs Yellow dots AF

IMG_8027.jpeg.68f182bf21d0b21fec8cd6604e54db67.jpeg

Separate Day did the same AF settings, but with the regular 8 gram weight which enables the proper AF recommended swing weight of C9 - D0.5.  This is the set up I like on the course so far.  I like the feel of the driver head during the swing and at impact.  Note: 10 shots no deletion of outliers.

IMG_8029.jpeg.7fcc54cf5370f88c770edf6032a0770a.jpeg

Note Dispersion in blue dots.  The other colours were just warm ups with other clubs.

IMG_8033.jpeg.a4f13a59c0e461e19fd98486e3d54901.jpeg

May try adjusting loft down 1 deg to see if distance and dispersion improves.  I was not hitting it well as I can hit it, but it’s probably an average day for me on both sessions.

The one thing these charts don’t show is that my shot shape seems straighter across the board with the AF even on misses.  Interestingly as CC testing noted, the lighter weight in the head increases ball speed due to the KHT tip.  I think more experience needed with the 6 gram weight.  Somehow I will need to reduce the spin in the CC recommended setting.

I hope this is helpful.  It’s a lot of data to analyze.

That is some great data!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, nvizble1 said:

That is some great data!

Thanks.  It’s been a really fun test.

The distance gains for me from a higher ball speed from the AF shaft are real.  The question is the lighter TSR head weight probably needs a lighter grip to put the swing weight closer to AF spec, so I will have to look at that.  It’s a feel issue which may result in slightly higher than ideal spin. 

Edited by KC Golf

Posted (edited)

Played one of my favorite KC courses this morning, Sycamore Ridge. This course has two wildly different 9s. The front is built into a small section of rock bluffs, trees, and a creek bisecting most the holes making for specific landing areas. It’s a true ass-kicker, but also just a fantastic looking course. The back 9 is more like prairie-links, little to no elevation changes, wider fairways lined with native grasses. It also plays far easier in my opinion (potentially more challenging green design) and leaves you on a good note.

Playing from the White tees (5907yds, Par 72, 70.0/129) and ended up scoring perfectly in line with my course handicap, 92.

The aF performed admirably when called upon because of the layout on the front it only made sense to pull driver a few times, but hit fairway 2/3 times on the front, and 4/6 on the back. Had two drives around 270yds on the back 9, one pictured from hole 10 (400yds).

IMG_2630.jpeg.f4e74401bd30dcd5f5ce27daf69a5125.jpegIMG_2631.png.77411a17d7bb771ac8497b9b639315fb.png

Edited by BallsLeon

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

... Just keep in mind the shaft and head should perform exactly the same with a lighter grip. The shaft and head together should not be any different because the weight of the head and the flex of the shaft doesn't change with a lighter or heavier grip. It just tricks the swing weight scale. That said, the feel can change which can affect the way we swing the club with a heavier or lighter grip, so that is a factor too. 

... And not to be condescending but your spin rate is all over the place. 🤪  You would ideally like seeing a difference of about 200-300 standing in one spot and grooving your driver swing. Hard to tell what would be ideal based on the data and only you know what swings produced different spin and distance. But I have to think somewhere between 2300-2600 will produce your longest and straightest drives. You hit some big drives with sub 2000rpm but those can easily go offline and are harder to control. I have always thought LM numbers are like most other things in golf and just a starting point. Kinda interesting that your carry and total distance remained very similar (43-47yds) and that's hard to believe with 1874 and 3012 rpms of spin. As aways once you dial something in, the proof is on the golf course where it counts. 

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... Just keep in mind the shaft and head should perform exactly the same with a lighter grip. The shaft and head together should not be any different because the weight of the head and the flex of the shaft doesn't change with a lighter or heavier grip. It just tricks the swing weight scale. That said, the feel can change which can affect the way we swing the club with a heavier or lighter grip, so that is a factor too. 

... And not to be condescending but your spin rate is all over the place. 🤪  You would ideally like seeing a difference of about 200-300 standing in one spot and grooving your driver swing. Hard to tell what would be ideal based on the data and only you know what swings produced different spin and distance. But I have to think somewhere between 2300-2600 will produce your longest and straightest drives. You hit some big drives with sub 2000rpm but those can easily go offline and are harder to control. I have always thought LM numbers are like most other things in golf and just a starting point. Kinda interesting that your carry and total distance remained very similar (43-47yds) and that's hard to believe with 1874 and 3012 rpms of spin. As aways once you dial something in, the proof is on the golf course where it counts. 

You are absolutely correct on all your points.  I am still trying to figure it out but I find a D3 / D4 works great on a 3W.  But with this driver, I find the D0 swing weight works better for me from a feel perspective.  I can feel the head and my swing seems more consistent.  But these numbers don’t necessarily show that.  Still hard to tell on the course which performs better between the 6 gram and the 8 gram.

Posted (edited)

Ended up having a better driving day.  The AF remains a great fairway finder. The AF was really performing well for me today.  Ended up shooting 85, but that was more an issue with long irons.  Putted pretty well in the end.  Only one birdie.

With the AF found the center of the face most of the round.  Missed two on the heal and 1 on the toe.  But amazingly 11 out of 14 FIR.  Quite a few 270+ yard drives.  Longest was 277 yds.  The drives were straighter with the AF and I found it predictable which for me is rare.  

It’s no Kingsmill weekend, but it was a fun day and the weather was pretty good.  Finished in a driving rain but most of the round was sunny.

Couple of stats:

IMG_8042.jpeg.1ef8d6f7f4472b58c237db45d1995b74.jpegIMG_8041.jpeg.d81d569ba782c8c6897fef45df480980.jpeg

Couple of highlight shots with the AF:

IMG_8038.jpeg.ceda0745049417c2ac66ad03aeff8be4.jpegIMG_8039.jpeg.75878d59660b5e568aa212f1c0d98bb1.jpegIMG_8040.jpeg.256bc30ce2c507d05878740d8e9343b5.jpeg

Edited by KC Golf

On 5/30/2024 at 9:27 AM, nvizble1 said:

After following a lot of the comments made here and two weeks of business travel 🙄 , I made it back out to the range on Memorial Day to work with the driver again. I am prone to overswinging, so it is hard for me to remember not to take the club back so far or swing so hard. This shaft definitely reinforces that for me because I sliced every shot I tried to crush. The slow swings produced less dispersion, a few more yards and much more roll out. I don't expect much to change in the next week, but weather permitting, I will take it out for some more testing. 

20240508_103333.jpg

Pretty much got rained out this weekend and had some family events to attend, but I wanted to get another session in at the outdoor range before the final reviews are done. Again, I am pleased with the flight and "zip" the ball gets off the face with an easier swing using this shaft. I had some slice issues today, user error, but overall this shaft produces. 

Played probably my last 18 holes with the Dream 7 before my final review and went in cold with no warmup whatsoever as the round progressed and I loosened up the speed picked up more and more. image.png.7763b49b0cdb6c8b5efebe2cf2345e4b.png

Not a lot of fairways hit but overall a consistent shape to the Dream 7 this round of a high fade. Possibly get a few more Trackman sessions in as well before the final review but I haven't been seeing anything that has been shocking from one session to another. 

Driver:   TSR3 8°, set to B1, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 6TX 

3 Wood: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid:  CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 9X

2 Utility:  ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°:  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60°  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  Mezz1 Max

Ball:  Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

Currently Testing

Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

Unofficial TSR3 Review

16 hours ago, nvizble1 said:

Again, I am pleased with the flight and "zip" the ball gets off the face with an easier swing using this shaft. I had some slice issues today, user error, but overall this shaft produces. 

Very much agree with you here! Hitting club speeds and ball speeds I've never sniffed at before 🏎️💨

As final reviews approach I need to start consolidating my thoughts and data. Have at least one more round to be played, and some proper photos to really show this shaft off.

I am in the middle of a crazy week at work and regret I will not have time to play another round before final reviews need to be posted.  I am currently sorting through all the data I have gathered (1237 drives is a LOT!!) and putting my final thoughts together. I can’t believe 5 weeks have just flown by on this review. WOW.

JD