Complete set recommendations

Hi Spies,

I have a friend who I am trying to get into golf. I told him he should get his own starter set of clubs so he doesn’t have to coordinate with his dad to borrow his. I’ve recommended the Costco Callaway set to people before and would stick with those this time, but this friend is 6’ 5” so I would like to find him a set that is at least +1”. Any recommendations of sub $1000 sets that offer longer shafts?

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Tour 2.0 Black 65 X shaft

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º :truetemper:Dynamic Gold S 300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Stix! Byrdie Golf Design and Robin Golf are a few that come to mind immediately!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

You can get a complete set of takomo too for right around 1000 especially if you get the 101's the only thing that I don't think that they make is a putter.  Also Caley can get a set from them too I looked at them last year or two but that is another option. 

I love my takomo irons didn't get the set but 201cb is so soft and buttery

Dan U

Gigagolf  is a "knockoff"  place in Florida.  For someone just starting out you can get these clubs, custom fit for well under $1000, and they were just fine.  I used a set for 10 years, and still use a 3 wood I bought from them going on 17 years now.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

My suggestion is to go to a reputable 2nd hand shop like 2nd swing or something like that to look for clubs that fit the length he needs, cause you can set filters for longer clubs. Then down the road he can go for something more customized once his game is improving. 

msanagustin

I recommend a full set of Hybrids, and just avoid Irons entirely. Those that have taken my advice, have learned the game quickly & have been happy with their purchase. I also recommend players go to One Length shafts & JumboMax grips in a size that fits their hands.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:17 PM, VistaKing said:

I recommend a full set of Hybrids, and just avoid Irons entirely. Those that have taken my advice, have learned the game quickly & have been happy with their purchase. I also recommend players go to One Length shafts & JumboMax grips in a size that fits their hands.

Depends on what his friend will aim to do - might be a bit expensive to create a mixed set for a beginner. But at least for long irons, I find hybrids great, I use  4/3H instead of 4/3i. 

There are certain situations and lies where you're better off with an iron than a hybrid, and mid/short irons are way more versatile than hybrids. For the casual/beginner golfer, you'd get much better playing all hybrid sets, but as your skill improves, you'll want to replace the low hybrids with irons for some shots (into the wind, out of bunkers, when you need more spin, when you need to open club face, punch shots, etc.). 

Short irons are more workable than hybrids, but longer hybrids are much easier to hit. The lower the irons/hybrids, then difference start to switch to irons.

Next time, I might replace my 5 iron with a hybrid too... and by the way - I don't use my 3w anymore since distance is more or less the same as my 3h but I am much more consistent with the hybrid. 

Edited by SanojW

Get something like these from Golf Avenue (Golfbidder in Europe)

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Iron Set 7-PW - GW - AW and SW Regular Right-Handed Graphite - New & Used | Golf Avenue

Add a couple of hybrids and a driver. 

Callaway Rogue 5 Hybrid 24° Regular Right-Handed Graphite - New & Used | Golf Avenue

Cobra LTDx MAX Matte Black / Gold Fusion Driver 10.5° Regular Right-Handed Graphite - New & Used | Golf Avenue

7-SW plus 2 hybrids, plus driver = less than 1000 USD.

Edited by SanojW