Golfers and Rules

Alf. S

I'm going off on one. 

It really annoys me when I play with golfers who should know the rules and flagrantly try to violate them. Situation 

1. Playing with a guy of 5 and says he use to play off 2.
    • 4th hole hits the ball into penalty area and tries to take a drop nearer the hole, because he does that when he plays with his pals.
    • Keeps asking for my opinion on whether he should play certain shots and I decline
  2. Twice this week single figure players I have played with have carved their balls into the woods across a red staked ditch and have wanted to drop it on the fairway side of the ditch where the ball crossed the ditch.
  3. Match Play and an opponent on the same line as me tried to crouch behind me while I putted
  4. Guys who have no concept of nearest point of relief and no nearer the hole.

So what situations have you had when you have pulled guys up about the rules?

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

5 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

It really annoys me when I play with golfers who should know the rules and flagrantly try to violate them. Situation 

1. Twice this week single figure players I have played with have carved their balls into the woods across a red staked ditch and have wanted to drop it on the fairway side of the ditch where the ball crossed the ditch.
  2. Match Play and an opponent on the same line as me tried to crouch behind me while I putted

Reading these two brings up questions.

1.  not sure what the hole looks like but if you are in the fairway or tee and hit the ball into a red staked penalty area,  relief would be on the fairway side.   

2.  There isn't a rule that prohibits an opponent from standing behind you while you putt.   Rule 22.6 says your partner can't do this and says nothing about opponent.   You could ask the player to move and if they refuse maybe try to get code of conduct rule 1.2a enforced by the committee.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1. To be precise the ditch was staked on both sides indicating the ditch and only the ditch was the hazard. Both players hit balls beyond the red stakes on the far side of the hazard and wanted relief on the near side.

2. You have a point and thanks for the clarification. I did tell him to move, which he did and it is pretty bad gamesmanship if they don't.

WIMB

22 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

1. To be precise the ditch was staked on both sides indicating the ditch and only the ditch was the hazard. Both players hit balls beyond the red stakes on the far side of the hazard and wanted relief on the near side.

Makes sense now.   Ball wasn't in the hazard so no relief.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alf. S said:

I'm going off on one. 

1. Playing with a guy of 5 and says he use to play off 2.
    • 4th hole hits the ball into penalty area and tries to take a drop nearer the hole, because he does that when he plays with his pals.
    • Keeps asking for my opinion on whether he should play certain shots and I decline
  2. Twice this week single figure players I have played with have carved their balls into the woods across a red staked ditch and have wanted to drop it on the fairway side of the ditch where the ball crossed the ditch.
  3. Match Play and an opponent on the same line as me tried to crouch behind me while I putted
  4. Guys who have no concept of nearest point of relief and no nearer the hole.

So what situations have you had when you have pulled guys up about the rules?

Were you playing a match against any of these people or in some other form of competition?

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

17 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Were you playing a match against any of these people or in some other form of competition?

This was all in competition golf i.e medal or matchplay.

WIMB

On 5/11/2024 at 4:02 PM, Alf. S said:

It really annoys me when I play with golfers who should know the rules and flagrantly try to violate them.

That is one of the reasons I do not engage in competitive rounds (well that and I'm not good enough). I think some people .. some, not all .. just get too used to playing their own version of golf with their regular group and perhaps that is what becomes 'normal' for them.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg