Playing With Different Handicaps

Some rounds I just want to be a solo, mainly if I’m trying to work on something or looking to hit some extra shots.

I like playing with someone better, looking to push myself to get better, and can always learn from others.

But I’m willing to play with anyone…doesn’t matter what they shoot as long as we are moving.  In my league, we have anywhere from a 5 handicap to a 35…willing to play with any of them.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

16 minutes ago, Javs said:

Well I am former military and sounds like cut from the same cloth, ha ha. My one buddy called me totally balanced. A chip on both shoulders, ha ha. In all seriousness I have many good friends here and we have good groups. However, I have low patience for the few ass-clowns. 

As I am sure you know, I am a former Marine, and was an enlisted man who was selected out of USMC Basic Training at PI to go to Officer Candidate School at Quantico. I tend to be quite unfiltered and people rarely have to guess what I really think on any subject.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

As I am sure you know, I am a former Marine, and was an enlisted man who was selected out of USMC Basic Training at PI to go to Officer Candidate School at Quantico. I tend to be quite unfiltered and people rarely have to guess what I really think on any subject.

We have a lot in common! Oh and you aren’t former, once is always!! Ha ha Semper Fi

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

As long as the pace is good, I’m happy. If someone is shooting waaaaay over par and doesn’t use the opportunity when someone else is shooting to find their ball, pick their club, think about their shot, etc., then it gets a bit frustrating. On the other end, someone that is really good, and expects everyone to play at their level is also very exhausting. 

Callaway apex 21 dcb irons

Paradym driver & 6 hybrid / stealth2 4 hybrid

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 putter 

I will play with anyone, at any skill level, at any course at least one time….it’s GOLF.
  We all have our preferences, mine is to play with slower players of any skill range over the “ good “ low handicap golfer who is determined to treat the round like they are on the clock at work and need to get done as fast as possible.  
   All that stated… As an Ancient Ager, I readily admit that I enjoy the regularity of playing at a private club with a known set of playing partners and the privileges and amenities that come with private membership. 

This is a good question! For me, I enjoy playing golf.  
The regular group I play with in the mornings has ages ranging from 63 to 78 yrs old.  Our Handicaps range from 1 (me) to 25.  I enjoy playing golf with the older gents.  Amazed how these guys in their mid to late 70's walk 18 holes every morning in 3hrs to 3.15 hours.  

They still have the passion, but don't hit it very far, you can see their delight when they hit a good shot and that's rewarding. It's taught me a lot about the game & myself. 

I still enjoy playing golf with golfers who are better than me.  It's fun to watch them manage the course, bomb their drivers & watch their ball-striking abilities.  I seem to learn something each time.  Oh, and the better players can putt! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

2 hours ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I will play with anyone, at any skill level, at any course at least one time….it’s GOLF.
  We all have our preferences, mine is to play with slower players of any skill range over the “ good “ low handicap golfer who is determined to treat the round like they are on the clock at work and need to get done as fast as possible.  
   All that stated… As an Ancient Ager, I readily admit that I enjoy the regularity of playing at a private club with a known set of playing partners and the privileges and amenities that come with private membership. 

What about the mid to high handicap that doesn’t want to be on the course for 5-6 hour rounds? You have a problem playing with them too?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I will play with anyone as long as they have a decent pace, it’s golf had some high handicaps play great and low handicaps play bad 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What about the mid to high handicap that doesn’t want to be on the course for 5-6 hour rounds? You have a problem playing with them too?

That reminds me - I consider myself a decent golfer, not great, but whether I’m playing recreationally or in my men’s league, I like to play my best, knowing I will be posting my score in GHIN 90%+ of the time.  I’m fine with socializing during the round but try to plan my next shot, etc.  Our required PofP is 4:10 and because of the terrain, most, but not all drive carts.  When it’s cpo, play is a little slower. What I find difficult is having to sit on multiple holes.  The more waits, I tend to lose or struggle to maintain any rhythm, and it’s just not fun, and my game slips.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

30 minutes ago, GaryF said:

The more waits, I tend to lose or struggle to maintain any rhythm, and it’s just not fun, and my game slips.  

Exactly. It’s not that I’m not enjoying golf but slow play makes it harder to stay in rhythm for the round. The stop n go pace can be a round breaker especially of it start so slow down near the turn or after. 

i played a course with my friend who is a low handicps like me and his son who is probably somewhere in the 15-18 range. It’s a Pete Dye design so not an easy course and one with some blind shots and setups that play tricks on the mind. We got thru the front 9 in 2 hours and then hit a brick wall on 11 and finished the back 9 in 3 hours. That was the last time I played that course as it turns out pace of play there is bad every weekend 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly. It’s not that I’m not enjoying golf but slow play makes it harder to stay in rhythm for the round. The stop n go pace can be a round breaker especially of it start so slow down near the turn or after. 

i played a course with my friend who is a low handicps like me and his son who is probably somewhere in the 15-18 range. It’s a Pete Dye design so not an easy course and one with some blind shots and setups that play tricks on the mind. We got thru the front 9 in 2 hours and then hit a brick wall on 11 and finished the back 9 in 3 hours. That was the last time I played that course as it turns out pace of play there is bad every weekend 

Wow, 3 hrs for 9 is a killer.  One thing with our carts is that the system keeps an update on our pace and will display minutes behind of ahead.  There have been times where we have to wait off and on with the group in front.  Not a lot at any given time.  Then check the display to see we are a few minutes ahead.  Seeing that helps reset the brain and just relax during the wait time with no negative effect on play. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

26 minutes ago, GaryF said:

Wow, 3 hrs for 9 is a killer.  One thing with our carts is that the system keeps an update on our once and will display minutes behind of ahead.  There have been times where we have to wait off and on with the group in front.  Not a lot at any given time.  Then check the display to see we are a few minutes ahead.  Seeing that helps reset the brain and just relax during the wait time with no negative effect on play. 

We waited on every shot from 11-18

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not sure why they would even want to play with us/ me slower players. They won’t be able to prod or force  us/me to speed up. They would probably be better served to get on with their version of golf by working their way down the course and play at  pace that suits them and leave us / me meanderer’s to enjoy our round at our pace. 

I always prefer to play with lower hcps. I find their strategy and approach to ball very interesting AND they play reasonably fast (3:45 - 4:00hrs). The 3 fixture groups I play in have a wide range of hcp players that play from 3 different tee boxes. It seems like there is no relationship between a few of the slower players and their hcp. BUT the slower players are always looking in the pond for water balls or just sauntering along. Not a problem when it's 70* and low humidity - but 95*, high humidity I want to get in the cart just so I can feel a breeze.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 5/12/2024 at 10:37 AM, Javs said:

You raise a great point and one I have heard a million times. It still gets under my skin when someone says “I paid my money so…..” What they leave out is just because one paid their money it doesn’t mean you can slow play for the entire course. It is just like saying I’m the only one important screw everyone playing with me or behind me. I don’t care for that attitude. In reality, we should all be trying to make the game and day enjoyable. Meaning follow the rules, have at least basic etiquette, and keep up. 

I could not agree more! I'm pretty easygoing but that sense of entitlement and screw everyone else demeanor is distracting to the point that I have told friends to get their butts in the cart and adjust their attitude or the round was done. On one such occasion the offender decided he would leave at the turn only to be waiting for us in the clubhouse when we finished to apologize. To his credit, he has never regressed since that day.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

1 minute ago, William P said:

I could not agree more! I'm pretty easygoing but that sense of entitlement and screw everyone else demeanor is distracting to the point that I have told friends to get their butts in the cart and adjust their attitude or the round was done. On one such occasion the offender decided he would leave at the turn only to be waiting for us in the clubhouse when we finished to apologize. To his credit, he has never regressed since that day.

Some people need tough love! Glad he at least came to reflect and change. 

Posted (edited)

I enjoy playing with all skill levels and enjoying the course and different personalities. While I learn from more skilled players there are also lessons to be learned from less skilled players. Not everything learned on the golf course is related solely to the game.

Edited by William P

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

1 hour ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

Not sure why they would even want to play with us/ me slower players. They won’t be able to prod or force  us/me to speed up. They would probably be better served to get on with their version of golf by working their way down the course and play at  pace that suits them and leave us / me meanderer’s to enjoy our round at our pace. 

I bet your group is at the top of the members favorite list 

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I bet your group is at the top of the members favorite list 

Interesting that you equate speed with etiquette and efficiency. 
  Our group knows we are slow. We only play as a group on  weekday mid-mornings (admittedly we do get preferential choices of tee times ) . Early mornings, mid/late afternoons, and early evenings are available for those with work, family, and other commitments who don’t want to be around the old people.. We NO longer play as a group in leagues, charity tournaments, or week night scrambles. Some of the group, do play in different weekend formats. 
 Life if good, life is real good and golf is part of the reason why. 

I have a decent game and understand how to maintain pace of play. And like most amateurs I’ll have a blow up hole or two. But I try not to let it get to me. 

So I’m pretty comfortable playing with anyone. But I’ll try to avoid those that are overly competitive (either with others or themselves — they aren’t on the PGA). I’m also not a fan of those who view golf as a reason to drink a lot. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Played with two guys today who were hitting from the black tees at 6900 yards (seemed to be a scramble format), a mid-handicapper who was playing from the second set of tees (about 6500) and me from a gray-white combo (5750). No major issues except that not much conversation on the tee boxes with us splitting up. Except one of the scramble guys had an extremely prolonged and annoying waggle. He took forever before he striped it 280. The mid-capper was having his issues today and I think I actually beat him with a 92. No idea what the scramble guys shot; I wasn't paying that much attention. Nobody was making any putts though.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

4 hours ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I guess I don’t understand your post. Are you saying that you’re proud of being slow and don’t care? 

2 hours ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

Interesting that you equate speed with etiquette and efficiency. 
  Our group knows we are slow. We only play as a group on  weekday mid-mornings (admittedly we do get preferential choices of tee times ) . Early mornings, mid/late afternoons, and early evenings are available for those with work, family, and other commitments who don’t want to be around the old people.. We NO longer play as a group in leagues, charity tournaments, or week night scrambles. Some of the group, do play in different weekend formats. 
 Life if good, life is real good and golf is part of the reason why. 

Just my take on this, but if you are slow and seeming proud…… Did it ever occur to you that you are holding up everyone else that doesn’t get the preferential tee times that are forced to be playing behind you? Maybe it’s me, but it seems a little self centered. Play 9 and go have drinks and take all day.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Playing at a reasonable pace and keeping up with the groups in front of you IS both efficient and good golf etiquette, and playing at a snail’s pace is ignorant, inconsiderate and boorish!

I am also an old guy (75 to be specific), and I walk and either use a push cart or carry my clubs. I don’t care how much elevation change there is on the course, I can play ANY 18-hole golf course in 3:40 or less ( and not as a single). If I ever played behind you and your playing partners, you would likely be wearing a sand wedge as your headgear or around your neck by the end of the round.

Can I make this any more clear for you? If you feel that your slow pace is acceptable, you need to find a different sport or hobby. Have you considered chess or bowling?

I agree, no one wants to play behind a slow group. However, playing behind a slow group that doesn’t care or think they own the course is just wrong. 

Edited by Javs

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Javs said:

I guess I don’t understand your post. Are you saying that you’re proud of being slow and don’t care? 

Nope.. Saying we play at a pace that matches our skill and physical abilities. The last foursome of the group  is usually  made up of the slowest players, dealing with some sort of  infirmities limiting speed of play. Currently a good pace for this group even when one of the more healthy of the group plays in this foursome is either side of 4.5 hours. Very doubtful that someone who likes to play fast would enjoy playing with us. Conversely we  as a group could not with any consistency , physically speed up enough to be able to meet the speed needs of others and enjoy ourselves. 

Edited by Dead Solid Bogey

4 hours ago, Javs said:

Just my take on this, but if you are slow and seeming proud…… Did it ever occur to you that you are holding up everyone else that doesn’t get the preferential tee times that are forced to be playing behind you? Maybe it’s me, but it seems a little self centered. Play 9 and go have drinks and take all day.

Again we play at a pace that matches our slowest players physical ability. We  don’t hunt balls  in the OB or go ball fishing. We are just physically slow. We wave players through that catch up to us when it is convenient. Except for any that hit into us. 
  I suppose if our club deems it better and necessary to establish a time limit that some of us could not meet, then most of us would just resign and move on. 

Ok guys this is a topic on playing with different handicaps NOT about slow play which has been beat to death. Let’s keep it cordial and on topic. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    PXG Black Ops 8* or Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Grey 65/4 shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :titleist-small: T150 4-GW with Modus 105R

Wedges:    :vokey-small: SM10 56M shaft TBD

:edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge 

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

I tent to play with a large range of handicaps. From friends to randoms I get paired with they are single digit to scoring 140 from the red tees. All in good fun honestly! I enjoying playing with everyone as long as they arnt the pissed off type of person who starts slamming and slinging clubs.

Of course I tend to play better when the person I'm with is playing better as I believe you feed off that and want to do better. Even if its is the high handicap playing there best game...

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 5i-PW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Check out my Tests...

I do not mind the Handicap of another player, provided he/she is not swearing and ranting unnecessarily. The game needs to be enjoyed. A lower handicap player is preferred as there are many pointers one can pick up

Driver - Ping 430Max

Fairway Woods - Taylor Made 3&5

Irons - Takomo 201s

Wedges - Takomo Skyforgers

Putter - Odyssey Ai One CH