TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts ×

Sqairz Speed2 Review Thread (Unofficial)

ctg44

Posted (edited)

Hello MGS Family:

I've been a relatively loyal Sqairz wearer for over 3 years now, though I temporarily tried to wear Adidas and briefly went back to Nike from the Winter of 2021 to the Spring of 2022, but since that spring have been back in the Sqairz for every round and practice session.  I initially started with a pair of the USA-themed Arrow shoe, but when those wore out prematurely (twice), Squairz replaced them with a pair of the original Speed shoes in white w/ blue accents.  That pair ALSO wore out quickly and was replaced, but then the replacement seemed to finally have had some of the quality control issues fixed. 

I wore was eventually the 4th pair Sqairz sent me from my original purchase for most of the summer of 2022, when I walked at least 36 holes a week regardless of the heat, all summer long.  I added in a pair of black Speed Sqairz (and then a 2nd pair) off of eBay last spring when the white Speed shoes started showing their wear a bit after about 75-100 rounds, about half of them at least on foot.  I tend to wear out the left side of the shoe by the ball of the foot on the outside edge, causing the outsole to separate from the midsole.  This issue is not exclusive to Sqairz regarding me and golf shoes, but it is very noticeable with Sqairz.  

A few weeks ago,  I started looking again at eBay, as I had decided I wasn't going to change shoe brands again and try to find something new when I was sure that the Sqairz in size 13 were going to work for me.  I have a very (as in about the same size as a petite teenage girl) narrow heel with a moderately wide forefoot that makes for a weird, v-shaped foot that doesn't fit into much, if anything, else on the market.  It certainly doesn't fit into anything FootJoy or Adidas makes, and only a few styles of Nike golf shoes over the years have fit.  Now, my normal tennis / running shoe size is a 14, but that's not exactly correct since I really need about a size 13 3/8 shoe for my right foot and about a 13 3/4 (give or take a little) for my left foot.  Since no one even makes a size 13 1/2 in a medium-width (D width) shoe in the USA, I have always been left buying narrower styles of size 14 shoes and hoping for the best.  I can wear most years' editions of the Brooks Ghost running shoes as "wearing around" shoes, but running in them is a challenge because even those are a little too wide in D width.

So, all that said, I found a brand new (listed as used, but it looked as if they'd never seen anything but a carpeted floor and maybe a quick trial fitting) pair of the white / black Speed2 shoes listed on eBay and made an offer that got them shipped to me with tax for right around $100.  Given the current list price of $154 plus tax and shipping, that's a solid deal for a pair of shoes in my book any day, especially when you have certified stupid feet...I mean, I had to spend $1,300 on custom ice skates to be able to play / officiate hockey, so yeah, my feet suck.

At any rate, I got the shoes last week and wore them for a cart round at the end of the week, along with 9 holes of walking on Monday morning.  So far, they feel to be very similar in overall comfort to the original Sqairz Speed shoes, but are noticeably wider than the previous pairs I've had.  I would rate these as being wide enough to call them an actual "wide" shoe in the realm of an E width, if my past Sqairz were in fact an actual D width shoe.  So far, so good regarding comfort like I said, but time will tell on durability.  Time will also tell on whether these stretch out too much to become too wide for me.  Hopefully not...

Now, as for the raised rubber squares on the "Sta-Put Laces"...as some others have complained about in the Velo review thread, these are popping off already as I tie and untie the shoes.  The laces on these are also inordinately long.  I double-knot my shoes to keep them from coming undone on the course, especially when I walk, and there is still way too much extra lace to be dealt with after that's accounted for on these laces.  It's not a deal breaker, but it looks bad and is kind of annoying.  I need to look for the set of extra laces I have for the original white Speed shoes and swap them out as those were definitely better than these.

Edited by ctg44

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wearing the Speed2 from Sqairz for almost a month, and other than one round where I walked in my older pair of Sqairz and a few balls hit at Golf Galaxy, I've had them on for every shot I've hit.  I can say that for sure, they are noticeably wider than the original Sqairz, but I have added a 2 1/2" by 3 1/2" rectangle of 3/8" thick neoprene foam inside the tongue of the shoes, along with a pair of CCM (as in the hockey skate company) footbeds to the shoes to enable my narrow heels to lock into the shoes well.  I also found a pair of the white laces from my original Arrow country shoes that I installed into the Speed2 shoes, and that's helped eliminate the huge amount of excess lace that was frankly a trip hazard if I didn't triple knot the laces.

Overall, these Speed2 aren't any real differences I'm seeing in swing speeds from the Speed2 versus the original Speed shoes I've worn for 2 years.  I have hit enough shots on the simulator with both pairs of shoes on that I can say they're effectively within the margin of error across every club I've tested.  I am not hitting any club better or worse overall that I was 2 months ago when I was exclusively on the original Sqairz Speed shoes.

@ctg44 thanks for the review.   

I have a pair of the Sqairz Arrow shoes.  I ended up having to purchase shoe stretchers to give me a little more width so I could wear them.  Hearing the Speed 2 offer a bit more width makes me want to give them a try.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

7 hours ago, Chilidog808 said:

really would like to try these out, but really can't get over the looks.  they say to order down half size is that really legit?

I would say that's almost exactly what I'm doing by wearing a 13.  I normally have to size up from about 13.5 in the right foot and 13.75 in the left to a 14, so you're probably good with going down a half size if that matches with something they offer.  I'll be honest, the performance and comfort outweigh the looks.  Anyone who says otherwise can continue to waste strokes wearing uncomfortable or unstable shoes...

The fastest way for me to shoot a 90 instead of a 78 is to wear spikeless or lightweight shoes to play golf.  I might as well not play at that point, as I'm going to suck because my footwork is Scottie Scheffler-like, and my hands are not as good as his to get the club back to the ball cleanly.