Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Wilson Staff Tour Blade Irons

Hi All,

Looking for some help.  I have a set of Tour blades that I am working on for a friend and we are trying to figure out what year they are from.  Can anyone help.  See attached photos.  They have True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts...not sure if they are the original shafts or not.  We are guessing ealry 70s???

Thanks

20240730_135636.jpg

20240730_135711.jpg

MPW

I had a set of staff blade irons in the late 60, they used the script to indicate the iron number, but the back of the club looked different. My guess late 70s

A Good Walk Not Spoiled!

7 hours ago, mwade4040 said:

Looking for some help.  I have a set of Tour blades that I am working on for a friend and we are trying to figure out what year they are from.

The Staff set in your pics was originally released in 1976. Wilson reworked that head and released it with the “Tour Blade” stamp in 1981.

What is the project you’re working on?

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

13 hours ago, David5655 said:

I had a set of staff blade irons in the late 60, they used the script to indicate the iron number, but the back of the club looked different. My guess late 70s

Thank you.  I was thinking in 70s but really had no idea.

MPW

10 hours ago, downlowkey said:

The Staff set in your pics was originally released in 1976. Wilson reworked that head and released it with the “Tour Blade” stamp in 1981.

What is the project you’re working on?

Thanks for the information.  No major project, just some scratch removal and then fresh paint on the all the text and club numbers for a colleauge

MPW

• 1 month later...

Those are 1976-77 models. Great blades. One of their best models.

PCA pastor; scratch golfer; classic club enthusiast; exclusive forged muscle back blade player; former golf coach. 

Currently playing: Titleist 985 driver, 3-wood; Titleist 680 forged irons; Vokey wedges; Scotty Cameron Newport II custom putter.

Sorry, I see that your question was already answered. My first set of Wilsons were 1981s. They said "Tour Blade" on the backs but also were stamped FG-17. The design was very similar to the 76-77s. I own every top-of-the-line model set Wilson ever offered from 1940-1993, so I am quite sure of the identification.

PCA pastor; scratch golfer; classic club enthusiast; exclusive forged muscle back blade player; former golf coach. 

Currently playing: Titleist 985 driver, 3-wood; Titleist 680 forged irons; Vokey wedges; Scotty Cameron Newport II custom putter.

By the way, the 1978-80 models had "Tour Blade" stamped on them, and added a beveled edge near the sole, eliminating the slight "bullet groove" from the hosel into the muscleback near the sole that the ones you have feature. The 1981-83 models were identical to the 78-80s, but were styled "FG-17s." TMI, I know, but I love vintage club trivia!