PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

If you end up doing that, are you trading in the MMT? 

And you said the lofts are the same as your titleist right?

I will probably keep the MMT’s. The lofts are: Titleist 6i-27, 7i-30.5, 8i-34.5, 9i-38.5, PW-43 and AW-47

PXG 6i-26, 7i-30, 8i-34, 9i-39, PW-44, GW-49. Other than the AW/GW they are close. The PXG’s are actually stronger in the 6, 7 and 8. The Titleist are stronger in the 9i and down. 

Play like a champion today!

3 minutes ago, Javs said:

I will probably keep the MMT’s. The lofts are: Titleist 6i-27, 7i-30.5, 8i-34.5, 9i-38.5, PW-43 and AW-47

PXG 6i-26, 7i-30, 8i-34, 9i-39, PW-44, GW-49. Other than the AW/GW they are close. The PXG’s are actually stronger in the 6, 7 and 8. The Titleist are stronger in the 9i and down. 

I see that... and all clubs are 1/2 club shorter?  If not could the lower end be made a degree stronger?  Would it cover the 1/2 club?

I would imagine with your distance you are still seeing pretty solid numbers on irons. 

Edited by Josh Parker

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

I see that... and all clubs are 1/2 club shorter?  If not could the lower end be made a degree stronger?  Would it cover the 1/2 club?

I would imagine with your distance you are still seeing pretty solid numbers on irons. 

The MMT’s are causing a higher launch. The distance numbers aren’t really great. I was hitting the Titleist with the DG 120’s more penetrating and the numbers were good for an old man. The MMT’s make me feel older, ha ha. It’s a shame because the accuracy is unreal. If I could switch to the DG 120’s and get back the distance with the same accuracy it would be ideal!

9 minutes ago, Javs said:

The MMT’s are causing a higher launch. The distance numbers aren’t really great. I was hitting the Titleist with the DG 120’s more penetrating and the numbers were good for an old man. The MMT’s make me feel older, ha ha. It’s a shame because the accuracy is unreal. If I could switch to the DG 120’s and get back the distance with the same accuracy it would be ideal!

That's a tough one. Have you thought about calling PXG and seeing about changing the head weight to fix trajectory?

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

The head weight is fine, it’s the shaft. 

Have you gone in for a spec check yet? I'd start there and see what they can do to "fix" the MMT's. If nothing else, you can hit other shafts at the spec check and make a decision then.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

5 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Have you gone in for a spec check yet? I'd start there and see what they can do to "fix" the MMT's. If nothing else, you can hit other shafts at the spec check and make a decision then.

The specs are all good. It’s the shaft. I know it because when I first received them they made a mistake and sent the 6i with the DG120 shaft. They then sent out another 6i with the MMT shaft. I hit them both side by side. Including on a lie board. Everything is flush and the middle of the club on both. The MMT just launches higher with more spin. Instead of going 176, it’s only 169. I know the others would be the same. Especially the higher lofted clubs. All my PXG fittings pointed to the DG 120 shaft. We went with the MMT this time because of my back and elbow issues. They are playable, but not ideal or what I want to see. I plan on using them for a few more rounds to decide. Even if I switch I’ll keep the MMT shafts. 

18 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

@Javs that's a great idea and they do it at Cimmaron just down the road from the new golf ranch. I have Gavins cell as well and he's solid!  

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

5 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

@Javs that's a great idea and they do it at Cimmaron just down the road from the new golf ranch. I have Gavins cell as well and he's solid!  

I mean a spec check would be ok, but like I said I have two 6i’s. One is the MMT shaft and the other is DG 120. Same everything else. They come off the club with different trajectories. I also can work the ball better with the DG shaft. However, the MMT does send it dead straight. 

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

I mean a spec check would be ok, but like I said I have two 6i’s. One is the MMT shaft and the other is DG 120. Same everything else. They come off the club with different trajectories. I also can work the ball better with the DG shaft. However, the MMT does send it dead straight. 

That's the only reason I would say have them take a look.  The mmt is a 105 and the dg a 120.  They may be able to adjust the weight in the head to bring trajectory down and save you a bunch of money on shafts.  Maybe/maybe not.  

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

26 minutes ago, Javs said:

The specs are all good. It’s the shaft. I know it because when I first received them they made a mistake and sent the 6i with the DG120 shaft. They then sent out another 6i with the MMT shaft. I hit them both side by side. Including on a lie board. Everything is flush and the middle of the club on both. The MMT just launches higher with more spin. Instead of going 176, it’s only 169. I know the others would be the same. Especially the higher lofted clubs. All my PXG fittings pointed to the DG 120 shaft. We went with the MMT this time because of my back and elbow issues. They are playable, but not ideal or what I want to see. I plan on using them for a few more rounds to decide. Even if I switch I’ll keep the MMT shafts. 

Spec check isn't about basic specs. They're basically like another fitting, looking at what's happening off the face. Looking at what the shot windows are and what you want them to be. They can change lots, lies, swing weight, etc to see if they can get you the window you want. If they can't, then they break out other shafts and try to refit you.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

3 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

That's the only reason I would say have them take a look.  The mmt is a 105 and the dg a 120.  They may be able to adjust the weight in the head to bring trajectory down and save you a bunch of money on shafts.  Maybe/maybe not.  

I understand exactly what you are saying. However, the weight of both clubs are very close in feel. No matter what they do to the head it won’t make the shaft respond different. It’s a different Shaft Kick-Point and that’s what is causing the ball to have a different launch window. Weight in the head won’t change the low kick point of the shaft. 

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

I understand exactly what you are saying. However, the weight of both clubs are very close in feel. No matter what they do to the head it won’t make the shaft respond different. It’s a different Shaft Kick-Point and that’s what is causing the ball to have a different launch window. Weight in the head won’t change the low kick point of the shaft. 

Well maybe worst case then, is they switch you out shafts.  Seeing how good they are to their customers and especially vets, I bet they would make things right for you. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Well maybe worst case then, is they switch you out shafts.  Seeing how good they are to their customers and especially vets, I bet they would make things right for you. 

Can you DM me his name and number?

3 minutes ago, Javs said:

Can you DM me his name and number?

There ya go sir. Just sent it to you. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

19 minutes ago, Javs said:

More weight in the clubheads will actually make the shaft kick more (droop more, too). This will almost surely cause a higher ball flight and will probably generate at least a bit more spin …. Possibly more than a little bit more.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

Just now, funkyjudge said:

More weight in the clubheads will actually make the shaft kick more (droop more, too). This will almost surely cause a higher ball flight and will probably generate at least a bit more spin …. Possibly more than a little bit more.

Thank you and that’s exactly what I thought. It’s funny I have two 6 irons. One was a mistake they let me keep. However, it has the DG 120 shaft. Comes off just as expected and flys about 5 to 9 yards farther. I really have to manipulate the 6 iron with the MMT shaft to get what I want out of it. 

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Here is the XP 5 iron next to the Edel SMS 5 iron.

SMS vs XP 3.jpg

PXG brands the XP as a "player's distance" iron but in my opinion has many game improvement qualities, while the SMS is less "game-improvementy."  As you can see from the pics, the PXG is visually thicker in the sole and topline, and with more offset.

The PXG chart doesn't show an offset measurement, but it's clear to see it's more than the Edel.

Here is your PXG offset's. They're in the chart, but PXG shows it in inches and not mm. Here's the mm translations.

image.png.1ba8c53bf219746f85b04959dc780a5c.png

To my eye, the PXG topline looks better. They do a nice job of rounding the edges, which makes it look thinner than it is.

Putter:
Technology:

WOW!  Scored my best round (-2)today. Definitely a very good all around day.  4 birdies/2bogies. These irons/shafts are gonna be the REAL DEAL for me.  Tyler did an awesome job fitting me.  Definitely longer and better ball dispersion with these babies.  Looking forward to my next round already!  Quite the feeling after a round like today!

Got out this afternoon and got in 13 before having to call it a day.  My driver has been great since switching to the 11* GT3 and it's actually about to get turned down a bit on the loft.  Now for the part we are all interested in.... the irons.

The confidence that I have when hitting with these irons is on a new level.  Do they spin as much as other irons I have had, no, however, being able to hit a much higher shot, can get them to sit with a one hop stop on the greens.  Today I had just about every iron in play today and from the 6 iron into the 188yd par 3 to the 135yd PW into an elevated green, the trust I have in the clubs is awesome!  

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Well, the PXGs have new grips installed and prob heading down to the range here shortly. 

20241002_143428.jpg.7436a80dd1565e392a1752c244cf650d.jpg

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Well, the PXGs have new grips installed and prob heading down to the range here shortly. 

Is this your first adventure into bigger grips? I’m really curious about what you think. Any specific reason for the switch?

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

Just now, musicalmedicine said:

Is this your first adventure into bigger grips? I’m really curious about what you think. Any specific reason for the switch?

I think i tried it for a very brief second a while back, but have had 4 on different clubs for the last 5/6 rounds and really liked them.  Woods have been straighter and the PW and 58* have been awesome. Getting a high baby draw with the pw and haven't lost any touch or feel with the 58. Still able to hit flops and short feel shots with ease. 

Decided it was time to jump in and do them all. My hands have been hurting some with as many rounds as I play. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

17 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Man, how big are your hands?  What size glove do you wear?

I've been gaming a midsize for at least 5 years now, but can't imagine a jumbo.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I think i tried it for a very brief second a while back, but have had 4 on different clubs for the last 5/6 rounds and really liked them.  Woods have been straighter and the PW and 58* have been awesome. Getting a high baby draw with the pw and haven't lost any touch or feel with the 58. Still able to hit flops and short feel shots with ease. 

Decided it was time to jump in and do them all. My hands have been hurting some with as many rounds as I play. 

I’ve been grip curious recently so I hope you give an update on how they play for you after you’ve spent some time with them. Maybe that will push me to give bigger grips a shot.

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Man, how big are your hands?  What size glove do you wear?

I've been gaming a midsize for at least 5 years now, but can't imagine a jumbo.

Haha. I wear a cadet medium or medium large. These are the jmx smalls. I really didn't know what I would think of them but bought a couple to try out.  Put one on the driver and a 58* first. Then 5w and pw.  Woods are straighter and have taken all pressure out of hands and arms and have actually gained yardage. Pw and wedge haven't lost any touch and with the pw hitting it just as high but can baby draw 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

41 minutes ago, musicalmedicine said:

I’ve been grip curious recently so I hope you give an update on how they play for you after you’ve spent some time with them. Maybe that will push me to give bigger grips a shot.

I will for sure.  Either here or on the Jumbomax thread.  

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

And now for a Gen 7 P vs Edel SMS Pro comparison.

The Edel SMS Pro, for being a "pro" labeled club and being a bit smaller overall, is surprisingly forgiving. Or at least, not punishing on mis-hits.  In terms of forgiveness, they can't compete with the PXGs though.

P vs SMS P 1.jpgP vs SMS P 2.jpg

SMS vs P 4.jpgP vs SMS P 3.jpg

And here are the spec comparisons.  First the SMS Pro:

SMS P Specs.png

And now the 0311 Gen 7 P:

P Specs.png

The PXGs have a touch more offset and a slightly longer blade length, but still look very much like a player's club at address to me.

From my vantage point, aesthetically the PXGs win hands down, with the exception of the sole...the milled tri-sole of the Edel's look great, and the turf interaction is really good. Not better than the PXGs necessarily, just surprisingly good.

In every other aspect though, the PXGs win running away.  Five yards longer despite being of the same lofts, and uber forgiving on off-center strikes. The distance retention on misses with the PXGs is really quite impressive.

Our official reviews are due by Monday, October 14th, but you can probably tell how the whole play it or trade it thing is going to land...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

22 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Did you go same grip all the way through I was going to fully convert this winter when the blacked out tours are back in stock and was thinking of going large on my woods then medium for hybrid through irons but was worried about going big in the wedges

Patrick Dawes