High Handicap Ball Review Chrome Soft Versus Pro V1

Pobrien13662

I have gotten my handicap down a bit after starting to play seriously this past year. I am currently a 19.2 and have tried a variety of balls but keep coming back to these. I would love to hear of anything comparable out there that might be a good fit or at least worth a try.

### Comparison: Callaway Chrome Soft vs. Titleist Pro V1 for a High-Handicap Golfer

As a high-handicap golfer, you're likely looking for a golf ball that helps improve your overall consistency, distance, and feel, without punishing you too much for off-center hits. Let's compare the Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist Pro V1 from the standpoint of a high-handicap player.

I know very little but forgiveness is obviously important to me until my ball striking improves.

Callaway Chrome Soft: 
  - Forgiveness: Chrome Soft is specifically designed to be forgiving, which is what initially appealed to me. The lower compression of the ball makes it easier to compress on slower or less consistent swings (BINGO!), resulting in better overall distance and accuracy, even on mishits. Even when I hit behind the ball or off-center I still see fairly decent distance and accuracy.
  - Feel: It has a very soft feel, it feels decent on full swings and I seem like I have better control and distance even when I dial down my swing. I am still at that stage where is I swing 3/4 I have better control and this ball fits that playing style well. Our local pro tells me about forgiveness around the green but I'm not quite there yet. 

- Titleist Pro V1:
  - Forgiveness: I was always told this ball is often geared towards more skilled players. It’s a bit less forgiving than the Chrome Soft, as it’s designed for golfers with more consistent swing speeds and better ball-striking. I was told that mishits may not perform as well compared to the Chrome Soft. But I have not found that to be true. Although when I pick both balls clean my accuracy and distance is better.
  - Feel: Though the Pro V1 also offers a soft feel, it’s firmer compared to the Chrome Soft, which might feel a bit harsher if you have inconsistent contact or a slower swing speed. You can definitely feel the difference when you mishit a ProV1 versus the Chrome Soft.

2. Distance and Ball Flight

- Callaway Chrome Soft:
  - Distance: The low-compression core (around 70) helps maximize distance for slower swing speeds, which is typical of many high-handicap players. The ball’s construction allows it to launch high and carry far, which can help add distance without needing perfect contact.
  - Ball Flight: I have a higher ball flight with the Chrome Soft compared to the ProV1 but although it was recommended for it's ability to stop shorter on the green I have not found that to be the case to any real degree, at least not in my case.

- Titleist Pro V1:
  - Distance: The Pro V1 is designed for distance and control, but it’s optimized for golfers with faster swings. But even though my swing speed is only in the low 90's I still carry this ball farther and straighter than the Chrome Soft. I don't truly understand feel or shot shaping at this stage so it isn't a consideration although I would imagine both would be better suited to this ball. If your swing speed is slower, you might not see as much distance benefit from the Pro V1 compared to the Chrome Soft. It’s built to offer a more penetrating flight, which may not help as much if you need more carry.
  - Ball Flight: The Pro V1 generally produces a lower flight, which can be harder to control for high-handicap players who need more forgiveness and a higher launch. I love the lower flight and have found that it actually gives me much more distance. But accuracy is inconsistent for me. 

Conclusion: Which Ball is Best for a High-Handicap Golfer?

- Callaway Chrome Soft: In my opinion, this ball is the better choice for high-handicap golfers. Its softer feel, greater forgiveness, and ability to provide good distance and control with slower swing speeds make it an excellent option for players looking to improve. You’ll benefit from a ball that is easier to hit well, and the higher ball flight can help stop the ball faster on the greens.

- Titleist Pro V1: While it’s a fantastic ball for skilled players, it may be too unforgiving for high-handicap golfers. Its firmer feel, lower trajectory, and need for more precise ball-striking can make it harder to achieve consistent results, especially if your swing speed is moderate or inconsistent.

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Home Course: Cedar View Golf Club

Bag: TM Qi10 Max Driver, TM Qi10 3W, TM Stealth 2 3H, Qi10 5H, TM Sim 2 MAx 6i-PW, Calloway Raw Jaws 50/56/60 Wedges, Odyssey Ai-One 7S Putter

Great write up. I’m about a 14 hdcp right now and I far prefer the CS to the ProV1. If you can find the CS practice balls at DSG for $20/doz when they have them on sale, it’s a no brainer. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and writing thus up!  I have not played this years CS balls. Last year's CS TT was my preferred ball. This year is a crapshoot for me though.  I've tried 8 different brands of balls and have it narrowed down to 3.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Those are some of the most expensive balls you can get and at a 10 handi I still loose balls. I didn't start keeping a ball for an entire 18 till I was down to the 11/12 range. 

Have you tried a supersoft or a true feel?  

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

I’ve always thought that regardless of skill, the most important thing is to play with the same type of balls. I like softer golf balls because of the feel off the putter and wedges but as long as that feel is consistent one way or another, your game will improve. 

I see a lot of people just play whatever they find and that’s always been crazy to me. 

My Bag: Driver: TaylorMade 9 deg. Stealth 2+. 3 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth 2+, 3 Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM 2 Max, 6 Iron: TaylorMade SIM 2 max, 5-P: TaylorMade P770 2024, 48: TaylorMade MG4, 52, 56: TaylorMade MG3, Putter: O-Works Marxman

11 hours ago, Pobrien13662 said:

I would love to hear of anything comparable out there that might be a good fit or at least worth a try.

Hello and I suggest giving the MaxFli Tour CG from Dick's a try. Myself, also a high handicapper, and a few others on here including better players really enjoy playing them.

There's also an S (softer) version; plus Dick's runs occasional sales where you can get 4 dozen for $110 (at $27.50 per dozen).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

The Maxfli Tour has been on my list to try for a while now. Unfortunately, they aren't available locally, so I'm asking my buddy who works states side to pick up a box for me. 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

2 hours ago, Cizzle52 said:

I see a lot of people just play whatever they find and that’s always been crazy to me. 

I used to do that when I was a 20 handi. Once I started getting serious about yardage and my practice I found that knowing what the ball does every time is more important than anything.  I'll find a Pro V1 and just give it to my playing partners. They think I'm nuts that I'd rather play a 1 dollar K Sig over a titleist.  But I know my yardages and spin roll numbers with the ksig. I also have to give them 5 to 15 strokes on match play so I also consider the source when they tell me I'm nuts 🤣

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

20 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Great write up. I’m about a 14 hdcp right now and I far prefer the CS to the ProV1. If you can find the CS practice balls at DSG for $20/doz when they have them on sale, it’s a no brainer. 

I seem way more consistent with the CS. And I like the feel. As I improve and my distances start creeping up I have liked the ProV1 but with the price point difference I don't think I am consistent enough to justify it for casual rounds.

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Bag: TM Qi10 Max Driver, TM Qi10 3W, TM Stealth 2 3H, Qi10 5H, TM Sim 2 MAx 6i-PW, Calloway Raw Jaws 50/56/60 Wedges, Odyssey Ai-One 7S Putter

20 hours ago, Rbgreene04 said:

That sounds cool! Do you have any pics? My favorite story is about a Trump course back there (northern Virginia Trump national) on which he has a plaque honoring a civil war battle on that very ground…only…there was no civil war battle on that ground. Wild story. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/details-details-donald-trump-has-plaque-at-his-golf-course-commemorating-civil-war-battle-that-never-happened

20 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

Those are some of the most expensive balls you can get and at a 10 handi I still loose balls. I didn't start keeping a ball for an entire 18 till I was down to the 11/12 range. 

Have you tried a supersoft or a true feel?  

Neither seemed to fit my game real well. And I avoid buying them new....bmb.com all the way 😃 About the same time I stopped hitting par 3's off of tees I improved quite a bit with my ball loss. If I play nine I can usually get through without losing any now but I have off days. Today I lost one, but found 15 looking for it in the cedars!

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

10 hours ago, Cizzle52 said:

I’ve always thought that regardless of skill, the most important thing is to play with the same type of balls. I like softer golf balls because of the feel off the putter and wedges but as long as that feel is consistent one way or another, your game will improve. 

Me too. I experimented last summer before settling on the Chrome Soft Triple Track. I mostly stick with those but actually found a ProV1 and had good luck hitting it so did the comparison. I carry a shag bag with me when I play solo with all my found balls now. I stick with the CS when playing but if I get stuck behind somebody slow and there is nobody behind me I will break out the shag bag fulls of misfits and practice chipping and putting.

9 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Hello and I suggest giving the MaxFli Tour CG from Dick's a try. Myself, also a high handicapper, and a few others on here including better players really enjoy playing them.

There's also an S (softer) version; plus Dick's runs occasional sales where you can get 4 dozen for $110 (at $27.50 per dozen).

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to try them out. 

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Thanks for the review!

Another Maxfli tour fan here 🙋‍♂️ I play the X but the S might be good for you depending on what feel you like.

If I am going to buy a budget golf ball I still really enjoy Noodle's; Maybe it's because I started with them, but I really like the driver and iron performance with them. Even though my handicap has dropped this last year, there are certain days where I can lose just as many balls as I did when I started....Shanks, you old friend...

Ball choice is partly about finding what mentally makes you confident you are going to hit a great shot. To this day, every-time I am teed up over a Kirkland ball I feel like I am going to hate the way it feels and what it does. Coincidentally I play horribly with that ball even though I'm 90% sure there is nothing wrong with it, just with me.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm a high handicapper and switched to the Bridgestone e12 contact this year and it's my main ball. Have a variety of Vice balls I also use for shorter par 3s, but the Bridgestone has treated me very well. Feels good off the driver and I don't slice it as bad as other balls, and I get great distance and control off my irons and wedges. 

Dr- Wilson Launchpad 

3w,4&5H,6i-PW-Strata

52°, 56°, 60°- Bombtech

P- Cleveland Frontline Elite Cero 35"