Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

G'day, So quick intro I am a Physiotherapist and TPI certified medical professional. I am just throwing it out there as I have seen a few injury-related questions that I may be able to provide some guidance for (as best as I can without doing a proper assessment). 

Just want people playing golf for as long as the possibly can.

so either comment below or send me a message

Thanks for posting and for the offer of advice!

So myself, and a few others, not surprisingly have back issues - not necessarily all rooted in / initially caused by golf, but of course the golf swing doesn't make it better.

A few days ago somehow I gave myself a fairly severe muscle strain across the lower back... I also have limited mobility in the hips. 

Was wondering if you could suggest some exercises, or maybe TPI vids to follow, or other resource(s) that could help address and improve these issues??

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

@cksurfdude hey mate, It depends on whether the initial injury is a muscle strain or if you have done something else. muscle strains will typically be more one-sided. 

in terms of back pain, there are a few things for hip and bake related issues give this a go https://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening/the-pelvic-tilt-test?search=Level One Screen. will tell you a lot about your muscle control but may only be a small part of the bigger puzzle

some basic exercises I would look at implementing into a daily routine for everyone even without back pain, cat cow stretch, lumber leg rocking and glute bridges

Great thread!  Years of abuse to the body and lack of stretching has caused my entire lower body to be tight.  From the ankles up thru the lower back. 

Recently have been trying to stretch morning and night but has been a slow slow process. 

Any specific exercises or stretches you would suggest?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

@Josh Parker to be honest it might not come down to just stretching, a lot of the research is wearing away from stretching and more to strength work through full ranges of movement or focusing more on eccentric phases (muscle lengthening phase) of exercises. I wouldn't recommend specific exercises but more a global movement based program focusing on full ranges of movement. I.e deep squats, dead lifts, kettle bell exercises. these can all be great additions.

3 minutes ago, GolfingPhysio said:

@Josh Parker to be honest it might not come down to just stretching, a lot of the research is wearing away from stretching and more to strength work through full ranges of movement or focusing more on eccentric phases (muscle lengthening phase) of exercises. I wouldn't recommend specific exercises but more a global movement based program focusing on full ranges of movement. I.e deep squats, dead lifts, kettle bell exercises. these can all be great additions.

Thanks!  I also just picked up the golf forever bar and resistance bands

15 hours ago, GolfingPhysio said:

@cksurfdude hey mate, It depends on whether the initial injury is a muscle strain or if you have done something else. muscle strains will typically be more one-sided. 

in terms of back pain, there are a few things for hip and bake related issues give this a go https://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening/the-pelvic-tilt-test?search=Level One Screen. will tell you a lot about your muscle control but may only be a small part of the bigger puzzle

some basic exercises I would look at implementing into a daily routine for everyone even without back pain, cat cow stretch, lumber leg rocking and glute bridges

Thx for all that!! My numerous aches and pains are long running .. series of accidents when younger and now degenerative osteoarthritis in the spine, hips and maybe the hands and fingers, too. All good stuff for playing golf 🤪

So the latest muscle strain is just another add-on... Interesting you mentioned one-sided - just a few days ago acupuncturist said the back stain was worse on one side .. which of course I hadn't noticed. 

Early this year the chiropractor have me a 5mm heel lift to wear on one side, all the time, to help level out my hips. Have noticed a difference with it.

Anyway I stay active, stretch and do a basic yoga routine a few times a week, go to chiropractic and acupuncture almost every week, etc etc. Work out more .. aerobic and strength .. during the Winter.

Going to go through that screening and see where it leads me! Thx!

Edited by cksurfdude
..yeah typo

Putter...

followthrough.jpg

16 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Thx for all that!! My numerous aches and pains are long running .. series of accidents when younger and now degenerative osteoarthritis in the spine, hips and maybe the hands and fingers, too. All good stuff for playing golf 🤪

So the latest muscle strain is just another add-on... Interesting you mentioned one-sided - just a few days ago acupuncturist said the back stain was worse on one side .. which of course I hadn't noticed. 

Early this year the chiropractor have me a 5mm heel lift to wear on one side, all the time, to help level out my hips. Have noticed a difference with it.

Anyway I stay active, stretch and do a basic yoga routine a few times a week, go to chiropractic and acupuncture almost every week, etc etc. Work out more .. aerobic and strength .. during the Winter.

Going to go through that screening and see where it leads me! Thx!

no worries mate, more than happy to help. These things do take a little bit of time to work through slowly. I would recommend getting a professional to do a full screen to draw out any other issues. one thing I have found that's helped a few of my clients with arthritis in the hand is getting fatter grips on the clubs. can be a bit more comfortable.

42 minutes ago, GolfingPhysio said:

getting fatter grips on the clubs. can be a bit more comfortable

Yep switched from +2 wraps underneath to MCC+4 Mid on every club .. really happy, and comfortable!, with these.

Someone else on the forum mentioned they were thinking about getting a TPI evaluation, which got me thinking about it. I'm in NY on Long Island - do you happen know / can recommend anyone in my area?

Putter...

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Yep switched from +2 wraps underneath to MCC+4 Mid on every club .. really happy, and comfortable!, with these.

Someone else on the forum mentioned they were thinking about getting a TPI evaluation, which got me thinking about it. I'm in NY on Long Island - do you happen know / can recommend anyone in my area?

awesome glad its helping! look im honestly not to sure of anyone there. I do virtual ones which are good, but in-person ones I do prefer. the other option is if you go on TPI website and go find an expert you can find ones near you https://www.mytpi.com/experts

On 9/12/2024 at 3:52 AM, GolfingPhysio said:

I'm now recovering (slowly) from pretty severe sciatica caused in large part by lumbar stenosis.  I imagine its a combination of bad genetics and old age.  The cat-cow stretches and bridges are a part of the PT exercises prescribed for me to help strengthen the lower back and core muscles.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

So glad this is here.  I have been working through lower back ailments, probably caused by protecting my deteriorating right hip, with chiro help and such.  Back is much better thanks to treatment and exercises.  Hip is just in preservation/extension mode until the inevitable replacement down the road.

Due to the injuries and other reasons, I have not worked out much in the last year.  My hip at present really won't even let me walk the course.  That must be fixed.

I am committing to a flexibility/mobility/strength regime for the winter, with golf improvement as the focus.  I just don't know what route to go.

@Josh Parker I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the golf forever product.  Of course, fitforgolf is also under consideration.  I have also heard good things about movementvault for flexibility.

Query whether a flexibility program is needed in addition to a general golf-focused fitness program?  Is there a clear winner among such programs?

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

2 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

@Josh Parker I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the golf forever product.  Of course, fitforgolf is also under consideration.  I have also heard good things about movementvault for flexibility

I will be updated later this week on it. 

6 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

So glad this is here.  I have been working through lower back ailments, probably caused by protecting my deteriorating right hip, with chiro help and such.  Back is much better thanks to treatment and exercises.  Hip is just in preservation/extension mode until the inevitable replacement down the road.

Due to the injuries and other reasons, I have not worked out much in the last year.  My hip at present really won't even let me walk the course.  That must be fixed.

I am committing to a flexibility/mobility/strength regime for the winter, with golf improvement as the focus.  I just don't know what route to go.

@Josh Parker I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the golf forever product.  Of course, fitforgolf is also under consideration.  I have also heard good things about movementvault for flexibility.

Query whether a flexibility program is needed in addition to a general golf-focused fitness program?  Is there a clear winner among such programs?

I would show a preference for a strength and conditioning program over a stretching program all the research out there is showing better outcomes for hip pain with strength-based work. I would look at your ability to side plank as this can give a good insight as well, if you struggle to hold 30 seconds this would be a big area I would look into for your hip and will see results sooner than later.