Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Is a putter fitting worth it?

I would say putter fitting is well worth the cost, and it's possible you can get it for free.  I was having some serious putting issues, and saw Odyssey was offering free putter fittings at a nearby PGA Tour Superstore.  I made an appointment.  The fitter immediately noticed my putter was not face-balanced.  He had me try a few face-balanced models, altered my address and posture, and encouraged me to use a line on the ball to help line-up my putts.  I bought one of the Odyssey putters (it was on sale and only $130) and immediately began putting much better.  I'm know a better and more confident putter.  Even if you have to pay for a fitting, I would encourage anyone dissatisfied with his or her putting to go for it.

Darryl Konter

57 minutes ago, Darryl Konter said:

I would say putter fitting is well worth the cost, and it's possible you can get it for free.  I was having some serious putting issues, and saw Odyssey was offering free putter fittings at a nearby PGA Tour Superstore.  I made an appointment.  The fitter immediately noticed my putter was not face-balanced.  He had me try a few face-balanced models, altered my address and posture, and encouraged me to use a line on the ball to help line-up my putts.  I bought one of the Odyssey putters (it was on sale and only $130) and immediately began putting much better.  I'm know a better and more confident putter.  Even if you have to pay for a fitting, I would encourage anyone dissatisfied with his or her putting to go for it.

Agree with this.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons (4 - P) - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-08 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey SM10 54-08 & 58-04 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Putter - LAB DF3 Custom
  • Golf Ball - 2024 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

On 9/11/2024 at 12:10 PM, NNKboykin said:

I understand the "need" for a iron and even a driver fitting. I had an iron fitting at Club Champion and it was very thorough and I was satisfied with the outcome.

I see that the offer putter fittings also. What goes into a putter fitting? How much benefit would one get from a putter fitting?

I did a fitting when I bought my Lab putter.  It is the club you will hit the most times in a round and also the one where accuracy is the most important.  I think having a putter that is set up correctly for you is a great step to being a consistent putter.  

Mike

On 9/11/2024 at 10:10 AM, NNKboykin said:

I understand the "need" for a iron and even a driver fitting. I had an iron fitting at Club Champion and it was very thorough and I was satisfied with the outcome.

I see that the offer putter fittings also. What goes into a putter fitting? How much benefit would one get from a putter fitting?

Quick answer is yes. This coming from someone who once viewed the whole club fitting thing as just another "over sold" marketing hype.  Were it not for the need to switch from steel to graphite shafts, to address shoulder and elbow pain (which works BTW), I might still be fitting-less.  But then I stumbled into this MGS thingy in 2018... and I've since had two fittings, one including the putter.

On the surface, a putter fitting might seem the least valuable/needed.  But, I now think it's every bit as valuable considering how important performance on the green is to scoring. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)