Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

MyGolfSpy Forum Member Testing 2025

GolfSpy_APH

Thanks for sharing and being so open about the future of the forum! 

I'm a fairly new member of the forum and wasn't around during the rollercoaster times. It feels like the forum has been on a trajectory to the moon since I joined in 2023! 

It's a bummer that you've seen a decline in quality on some of the tests. That makes it an easy decision to trim opportunities to maximize quality. 

I will say that I have enjoyed popping in and out of testing threads because there have always been multiple, multiple tests going on at once that are of interest to me! 

Thanks for everything that you and the staff do!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Thinking more about this.  I do think the "less is more" is better from a management and quality standpoint. A few others have said that the floodgates have been opened and OEMs reach out for testing, but only the staff really know that answer.  Could it be a detrerant to them on future testing, sure but maybe not.

The other side I look at is this.  It does make it hard to follow as a participating member and keep up with so many test (kudos to staff) but it does make for a ton of searchable content for new and potential members to join this community.  If the quality of review isn't there, then the potential for new members drops.  

I don't know if there is a magic number or even if there is necessarily a win with any end number of test. 

Thanks for the open communication as always and thank you to the entire staff for killing it this year!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

It was an exciting year for testing that's for sure!  Probably was unrealistic to think this pace would continue.  

30 testing opportunities is nothing to sneeze at either.  Sometimes quality is better than quantity.  

Looking forward to see what MGS has in store for next year.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Red 6S

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 16

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 52 Black

rivl.jpg.451a4db0b8a2d10598295b520557b7c9.jpg  Rivl 58 Black

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Appreciate the transparent approach to the 2025 outlook and beyond. It has always been a blast following this group through the years and finally getting myself into the mix after so long. I really do believe in quality over quantity, but still, the outlook on the number of tests is still pretty damn solid. I do agree trying to keep up with the numerous tests can become daunting, but that is the beauty of following along with what interests you.

I also see this as being a great opportunity for those to already use what you got and provide some quality "unofficial" tests that members may want to get in front of the masses. This may allow those opportunities to be a spotlight if it is a well written assessment on something that is trending or has been missed in the past. As @EasyPutter mentioned prior, I love the idea of helping those very interested individuals in how to tell a story and frame their reviews. There is such a high ceiling with this group and I hope it only continues to hit that height and challenge even further. I look forward to 2025, but still want to enjoy 2024 too! Keep up the good work mod-peeps and thanks for all you do!

Edited by Chux13
Fixed a run-on

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

The last thing I want to see is the MGS team get burnt out by trying to do too much. It has been difficult to keep up with all of the testing this year, partly because I don't know the timelines of when the reviewers are announced to when the tests are published. I do appreciate the "peek behind the curtain".

My thoughts:

• Quality over quantity will always be better. As I've said in another thread; the testing opportunities are great, but that's not how I found MGS or why I'll be staying.

• However, I would be concerned with the same testers being chosen over and over again. Maybe there could be a private thread where testers could put up a draft that other "good" testers could provide feedback on before publishing?

• I appreciate the transparency. I didn't fully understand the amount of work it took on the back end to get all of this set up. 

• I would keep the testing schedule private. There is an excitement in not knowing what is coming, as well as stopping some from "gaming" the system. Keeping it private would also help in case something falls through, because we wouldn't know about it anyway.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic MAX LS
Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Rescue 
4-GW: :taylormade-small: Burner Plus
SW: :macgregor-small: MS8 
LW:  Slazenger Wrath 60
Putter: ? It was a gift with no brand on it
Bag: :Ogio: Fuse 2024 Neon Sport

I've been a member for 8 years and a reader for even longer.  Fully agree that something with this year just felt "off" with the huge number of reviews.  I like the focus being put on fewer products being tested, but ensuring those that make the grade are held to a high standard.

I would think most OEM's would prefer the 2025 approach as well (assuming their product makes the cut).  They'll get more attention and participation/feedback when the focus is put on fewer tests.

Thanks for the update and all your hard work!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 10.5°, Kai'li Red X
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, Evnroll Tourtac grip

So many well-deserved compliments had already been made by those who have been on the forum for a while and newcomers as well.  

For those new to the forum who joined just for the "free stuff", it's unfortunate that you've haven't drove in deeper to experience the commodore that exists between forum members.  I've truly enjoyed the interactions with my MGS fellow forum members.  For those who leave because of fewer testing opportunities, you will be missing out on something special.

Going to fewer reviews in 2025 is a great move.  Quality will go up on both sides of the equation.  On the supply side moderators get to filter through opportunities and pick the ones that the forum members want and need.  OEM's will know there are fewer opportunities and will "bring" their best and innovative products to the table.  On the demand side, moderators will have the opportunity to select reviewers that are well written, have something to say and will ensure the type of review that the forum, forum members and suppliers will appreciate.

Limiting the reviews will also make it easier for forum members to follow them all.  Trying to follow 150 plus reviews for several months at a time can be tough.  Limiting the number will make it easier to follow all of them as they go through the entire review process.

There may be a compromise on revealing the product schedule.   Instead of releasing the actual products that are going to be reviewed, why not release the type of products that will be reviewed and when.  For example, in June, we're going to be reviewing a rangefinder, sand wedges, a golf bag and a driver.  At least with the genre, there could be guesses (even a poll) of what the product is.  It may help build a little excitement and will tell those interested in one of those items that a review is coming up.  Just a thought.

Mods...thank you again for all you do!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

,why not release the type of products that will be reviewed and when.  For example, in June, we're going to be reviewing a rangefinder, sand wedges, a golf bag and a driver.  At least with the genre, there could be guesses (even a poll) of what the product is.  It may help build a little excitement and will tell those interested in one of those items that a review is coming up.  Just a thought.

That is an interesting take!  It would make sense.

I am curious how well the companies recieved the testing reviews as well . It certainly is a driving factor if they want to offer another opportunity every year.  Perhaps there is an opportunity there to help understand what we, as members,  can do better in the future. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.