What is the best driver?

GolfSpy_APH

The original Callaway Great Big Bertha driver from the 90’s was amazing. It let me get it out there 250-275 on average with one of sweetest fades you’ve ever seen.

It’s currently picking up dust in my garage, and every so often I think about seeing what can still do.

Taylormade Sim Max driver

Titleist TSI2 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid 

Taylormade M2 irons

Cleveland & Titleist wedges 

Odyssey 7 putter

Have always had a love hate relationship with the driver mostly hate until I recently got the Taylormade Stealth HD, 10.5 with an extra 0.75", shaft after having a couple of goes with my pals M6 D Type driver and seeing a huge difference on my slice that I would usually hit to then becoming just a small fade that was playable.

This is only my 3rd driver I have owned the other 2 being a Nike sq dymo2 str8-fit driver then replaced this with a Nike Vapor Pro Driver. For the last 3 - 4 years i have taken the driver out the bag to avoid the temptation to use it and just used my TSI3 3 Wood instead of the tee as I found this more consistent and regularly found the fairway and was usually similar distance to my playing partners drive with his driver. But now with the stealth I have the confidence to play the driver regularly now with a slight fade or straight flight path. Just now need to work on the Wedge shots into the green.

Driver - Taylormade Stealth HD 10.5

3 Wood - Titleist TSI3 15

3 Hybrid - Taylormade AeroBurner 19

4 Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21

Irons 5 - PW - Titleist T100s

GW - Callaway Mackdaddy 3 50

SW - Taylormade MG2 56

LW - Taylormade MG2 60

Putter - Taylormade Rossa Monza Spider

The best driver I've played is my current gamer, the Cobra F9. It still looks great behind the ball, I've hit some of my best drives with it and it beat the Darkspeed the other day at a demo event (even when I swapped the heads over). 

Honourable mention goes to the Callaway X Hot Pro - could hit absolute bombs with it and I sometimes kick myself for selling it years ago.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I think the best driver I have had so far is my Ping G425.  Never have been very good with driver but this one seems to be in the fairway more.  I am always trying new and different clubs and always looking for that miracle club.

The Sasquatch!!! Nike Sumo 2. Loved that driver. Every drive felt like a bomb!

sqsumo25900L.jpg.bce23a828b942708abeba29af1ef869f.jpg

Edited by FallenSaber

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

I was the first kid on my block to get the Big Bertha. Everyone wanted to hit it. It was definitely a groundbreaking head, but the metal shaft Callaway had in it was crap. I’m currently gaming the TM Stealth Plus. I’ve never had a driver that was so much longer than my previous driver, (M3). I had to change my sight lines the first time I had it in the bag. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9.0 Ventus Blue Stiff

:ping-small: G410 14.5 Hzurdus Smoke Green Small Batch stiff

:ping-small: G410 19.0 Hzurdus Smoke RDX Black stiff

:nickent-small: 3DX 4 hybrid 23 deg

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5-G Oban steel CT-115 X flex +1/2 2 deg upright 

:vokey-small: 54 deg 10 bounce S grind +1/2 2 deg upright 

:vokey-small: 58 deg 12 bounce D grind +1/2 2 deg upright 

:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa 7 DB black/white

Best driver I’ve ever used is my current gamer, the SiM2 Max D, 10.5 turned down to a 9 degree loft, with a UST Mamiya LinQ Red shaft that’s been cut down a half inch from standard length. My whole golfing life has been a struggle when it comes to driving and this setup is the first one I’ve ever had where I’m able to consistently hit good shots off the tee. Since putting it in the bag, I’ve been able to keep the majority of my drives in the fairway, which has been such a problem for me in the past that I would put the driver away after a few holes almost every round.  Now I’m shaving off strokes when I hit driver instead of adding them.  The confidence I get from knowing that I can make good contact and get the ball 230-250 yards off the tee has completely changed my game for the better.

SJ

I bought a Callaway Epic Max in 2021, it has been very reliable and long. I have a Mitsubishi MMT shaft in it and have since changed out my image.png.bc3cbc803115c75903422c5cf325dff8.png T200 shafts to MMT. So, to me the saft is as important as the clubhead. The knock on the Callaway has always been the sound, like a crack of the bat. I'm planning on getting a fitting with the new image.png.913e290be04f67259438bd44fe8a6b1e.png GT driver soon.

image.png

jpgolfer64

On 10/1/2024 at 8:10 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Pretty simple question. What is the best driver you have ever used? 

Maybe it is a blast from the past you wish you had back or maybe it is your current big stick... so lets  hear it!

Ping 400 max

Ping driver

Mizuno irons

Adams hybrids

Vokey wedges

Various putters

I have 3 that really changed my driving (before I self sabotaged and sold them for other drivers) ha

Taylormade m1 I think it was the 2015 model that had the red tracks underneath. you could take one of the tracks out and add it vertically or horizontally to make it a bomber or more forgiving. Loved the top crown as well. Very easy to line up.

Cobra F9- this was probably my favorite driver ever (white version) but the face had this channel around it where it was probably welded on. If you got the ball in this channel it would eat the crap out of your golf ball. Very annoying.

Cobra darkspeed ls- this is my current gamer and with a auto flex shaft it is disgusting. Long, straight, forgiving... what ever other buzz words you like! The smaller head size is amazing to me. 

2 minutes ago, jpgolfer64 said:

The knock on the Callaway has always been the sound, like a crack of the bat.

I've always been oblivious to the sound of my driver.

I notice if it sounds different that it usually does, indicative of a mis-hit,
but as for its normal sound, I never really cared.

When I bought my first titanium driver, a Titleist 12° Howitzer,
it sounded different than anything I'd ever heard before,
but I didn't even need a single round of golf to get used to it.
A few practice tee hits did the trick.
It would be playing partners who noticed the sound.

Yet, sound seems to be a real factor for a lot of hitters.
At the beginning, I suspected that they were concerned about how the hit sounded to others,
but now I understand that to some, the sound is almost part of the feel.

Recently I borrowed a driver from a friend that can no longer play due to injuries.  It was a Ping G410.  So much easier to hit than my PXG 0811X.  I can only imagine what the new Pings are like.  I'll not know as I can not afford to plunk out $700 for a club.  I'll probably make my friend an offer for the G410.

☹️

This is a fun one. I like many others have a love hate relationship with drivers. Out of high school I bought the 9 degree Deep Face Cobra driver tiger used. Was amazing. I worked at a golf course back then and played a lot of golf. Really loved that driver. The shaft was a problem though. Broke 3 of them before I traded it away.

Today I am reallying enjoying my Cobra LTDx ls and Darkspeed X. That LTDx is the best sounding driver I have ever owned. It does require a bit more consistency in swing then I can give it right now though. The X is a LTDx ls with forgiveness, but doesn't sound as good. I think the Darkspeed X is the best looking driver I have ever owned, feels great and, has enough forgiveness to make it playable with great distance.

LTDx driver and 7 wood

Pxg 0211 3 wood, 5wood, irons

Vokey 56 m grind

Taylor made 7 putter

On 10/1/2024 at 8:10 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Pretty simple question. What is the best driver you have ever used? 

Maybe it is a blast from the past you wish you had back or maybe it is your current big stick... so lets  hear it!

The biggest holy s*** moment I've ever had, was the first time hitting my old Taylormade M1. To go from using my good Old Nike Sumo and NOT hearing a what sounds like a bat on a garbage can , was world shifting. 

I used to HAAAAAAATE hitting driver because of a horrible slice, so I would use anything and everything but one. After one range session with the M1 with the weights moved to a draw bias, I found myself wanting to hit it all of the time!

3-p p760s

Cobra F9 

Tour edge Exotic 3 and 5 wood

Custom made Bradley putter

Sm9 wedges 50 56 60

1 minute ago, ManBeard said:

The biggest holy s*** moment I've ever had, was the first time hitting my old Taylormade M1. To go from using my good Old Nike Sumo and NOT hearing a what sounds like a bat on a garbage can , was world shifting. 

I used to HAAAAAAATE hitting driver because of a horrible slice, so I would use anything and everything but one. After one range session with the M1 with the weights moved to a draw bias, I found myself wanting to hit it all of the time!

The OG M1 and M2 were so good. Probably the best looking in the series till they went to SIM. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Before my Titleist GT3 with Tensei 1k Blue I would have said this one.....

Titleist 983k or the ole Cleveland Launcher 460 with the green aldila shaft.

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Ping 410LST hands down the best driver I’ve ever had.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or EPIC Max LS 10.5* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg Mini or TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png Mini BRNR

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H, 4H, 5H 

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD 

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* 

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

Ping Rapture V2 with a Diamana Blueboard 63g stiff (the OG blueboard).  I love this driver...found it on eBay a few years after it was released. Stayed in my bag for nearly 15 years!!! until last April.

I'm currently gaming a Callaway Paradym with the Diamana TB shaft that I was fit into last year and I just can't get comfortable with it. I may need to trade it for a newer Ping G430 10K to see if I can find my next unicorn!

"In victory, you deserve champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

• Driver - Callaway Paradym 10.5, Diamana TB 60 S
  • 5-Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Tour 18, Matix Ozik XCON-7 S
  • 4i - PW - Ping i230, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.04 T, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Putter - Titleist Cameron Newport, oilcan finish, 34", baby-T grip
  • All Grips - Golf Pride Z Grip Cord
  • Ball - Titleist Pro V1

It definitely seems like the general consensus is anything Ping has made since the G400 up to present. I might have to go try to hit one.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

A long, long time ago, in a land far, far away....my favorite driver was and still is a 1956 MacGregor M85W Super Eye-O-Matic. There is nothing like the feel of hitting a balata covered 100 compression Titleist with a persimmon driver...its like butter....smooth...

Now I'd have to say it's the one in my bag, a Rogue ST Max...I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this one does the best for me so far.  Fittings haven't given me enough gain in yardage and dispersion to justify the expense of a new one.  

Image 10-2-24 at 11.22 AM.jpg

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST MAX Driver 10o Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 S

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 3 wood 15o Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 R

:taylormade-small: Stealth 5 wood 18o Fujikura Ventus Red 5 R

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4 Hybrid Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 R

:taylormade-small: P790 2021 5-AW Aerotech i95

:vokey-small: SM8 Brushed Steel 54 , 58 12 D

Winn Dri-Tac 2.0

:ping-small: PLD DS72 Satin

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Those old Mac Eye-O-Matic s were indeed special.

For me, it was the M09 driver and the 945W fairways.

The lengths,  lie angles,  face angles,  and head shapes  all felt perfect to me.

On the other hand, I don't miss balata covered wound balls even a little bit!