Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Anchored & Non-Anchored

JMiller

I read this off Burnt Edges Consulting blog today and where it doesn't give the perfect explanation as to why the anchored putter does provide and advantage it does touch base on it. I'm not going to regurgitate the words here you can click on the link and read it. Any one have thoughts on this research I don't care about your emotional or non-rational opinions.

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-difference-between-anchored-and.html

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Bruce makes a very valid argument and probably the best I've seen against anchoring the putter. I want to quote his last paragraph for emphasis

This is the only mechanical advantage of the anchored stroke, and once the player understands the advantage, he has a better understanding of the putting stroke in general. I think that is why we have seen a lack of concern in many of the players who use the anchored stroke. The change showed them the solution to their problems with a conventional stroke.

Doesn't anchoring against your arm (which is still allowed) accomplish the same thing though?

I tried the "anchored arm" approach in Sept with a Cleveland Almost Belly 39" putter.

I liked the head weight (400 gm) and seemed to be online.....however, I still had issues with distance......ended up selling it and going back to my Slotline SSI-693 mid mallet (360 gm).

am putting from my "shoulders" now and the stroke is much smoother.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

All respect for Bruce, his findings, I believe, are at best incomplete.

By the USGA's own admission there is very little statistical evidence (frequency at which the ball finds the bottom of the cup) that suggests that anchoring provides any measurable advantage.

If we simplify the act of putting it can be viewed as a 3 part process.

1. Alignment - regardless of any advantage garnered from any type of stroke (anchored, traditional, side saddle, etc.), the golfer has to read the green and decide on the target line.

2. What I'll call path or stroke. This is where Bruce's research would suggest that anchoring provides an advantage. Anecdotally, as a guy who previously used a belly putter (I haven't in over a year), I would suggest that inside of 3 feet, belly putters absolutely do offer an advantage.

3. Force or Distance control. Speed is a key element to every putt, and it's possible that in this area, belly putters offer a distinct disadvantage. Again... anecdotally (which is admittedly never a substitute for actual data), I (and other's I've spoken with) find it much harder to control distance (particularly on longer putts) with an anchored putter.

Credit where credit is due, this is the first time I've seen someone look at the issue analytically, but again, the it's incomplete and hardly enough to justify an outright ban.

The issue I have is that the ban is being driven from the PGA Tour level. The USGA has chosen to ignore that the tremendous majority of its constituents are amateur players. From a political standpoint I honestly believe we wouldn't be talking about this if Tiger or Rory (the two guys that make golf watchable on Sunday) used a belly putter.

More to the point, as I already said, the USGA has acknowledged ZERO statistical evidence to suggest belly putters provide a scoring advantage (the actual numbers suggest they probably don't), and the conversation is happening largely because of the results of 3 of the last 8 majors. If by some chance left-handed golfers had won at the same clip, would anyone suggest that playing left-handed offers an advantage?

When you look past the noise, the guys on tour are out there to make money, and literally hundreds of thousands of dollars can be won or lost on a single stroke. If belly putters truly offered a universal advantage, everyone would be using them.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I don't care about your emotional or non-rational opinions.

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-difference-between-anchored-and.html

This is exactly how I have felt through the major dissatisfaction with the ban.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Archived