Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

UST Recoil Iron Shafts - IN FOR REVIEW

Matt Saternus

In 2010, the leading money winner on tour played graphite iron shafts and last year's FedEx Cup winner did too, so there's no question that graphite can perform on the highest level. The 2013 PGA Show made it clear to me that many major shaft manufacturers are going to be spending this year telling that story to consumers.

Among those manufacturers, none seems to be putting as much stock in graphite iron shafts as UST Mamiya. Their new Recoil shaft took center stage in their booth. UST claims that they have finally figured out how to use graphite to give players all of the benefits of steel with the added benefits of graphite (watch the video below for full details). Available in multiple weights, their will be a Recoil shaft for every player. Will it live up to the hype? For that information, you'll have to wait for the review. For now, feast your eyes on these pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A1TNsAfYTm0

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I was really hoping I could get a demo set for review. Matt if you need anyone to review these hit me up. I'm getting to that age where injuries are happening and been thinking about possibly trying to find a graphite set of iron shafts but the only set I tried sucked!

PS: Talked with UST Mamiya Rep. ( Robert ) I'm hoping to get a couple 6 or 7 iron shafts in different flex to see which series and profile I fit into.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I play the steelfibers you talked about that Snedeker, Kutcher, Moore, Hale Irwin, and others play and they are already what these recoil shafts are trying to be. The steelfibers are better than any steel shaft I have ever played. Compare these with the steelfibers. However, you referred to them as graphite and they are really more of a hybrid because of the steel fibers in them.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I've been gaming graphite shafts since I recovered from wrist reconstruction 12 yrs ago. That said, I really like the feel and flight of the Project X iron shafts......very accurate!

I got an email from USTmamiya last week with the video of the Recoil shafts.......they look very interesting so I am awaiting your review.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Looking forward to seeing what you think Matt.

I've got a couple demo irons on their way up with these done by one of UST's tour fitters. Should be interesting. I've also been chatting with Chris at Aerotech lately about a refit. Ideally, I'm looking at doing a comparative test

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Looking forward to seeing what you think Matt.

I've got a couple demo irons on their way up with these done by one of UST's tour fitters. Should be interesting. I've also been chatting with Chris at Aerotech lately about a refit. Ideally, I'm looking at doing a comparative test

I'll be interested to hear what your thoughts are. Aerotech is another shaft that we'd like to have in at some point, but right now my dance card is pretty full.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived