ECCO BIOM ZERO GOLF SHOES - Initial Impressions

Our Sponsors

• SPY VIP

ECCO BIOM ZERO GOLF SHOES

Initial Impressions

biom-zero-prof-sole.jpg

FROM ECCO:

Improve your game with the BIOM Zero, the lightest most flexible and low-profile golf shoe ECCO has ever produced. This minimalist inspired men's golf shoe is made with a premium Yak leather upper and water-repellent Hydromaxâ„¢ treatment; the second skin leather lining wicks away moisture while remaining remarkably soft. With BIOM technology this ultra-lightweight, exceptionally low profile golf shoe has dynamic traction and takes comfort to the next level with an experience that's as close as you can get to playing barefoot.

UPPERS MADE OF YAK LEATHER

biom-zero-archprofile.jpg

The first thing you immediately notice freeing the Biom Zero from their box is the smell of fine leather. There is no doubt in one's mind that ECCO has produced a high end luxury shoe here and really making it apparent is just how soft they are. The outer leather has been treated with ECCO's patented Hydromax treatment and reinforced by a second skin lining to ensure your toes stay dry when it matters.

BIOM ANATOMICALLY SHAPED

biom-zero-toe.jpg

The fit is quite remarkable even for my slightly wider than normal feet. ECCO say it's as close to playing barefoot as one can get I must agree, the shoe almost molds to your foot and being “Ultra-Lightweight” means at no time does it feel out of place. There's really good arch support and noticeable outer stability as well.

biom-zero-interior.jpg

The inlay is “anatomically shaped” to cradle your and pamper your feet in a very cushioned foam. I just gotta say it; these things are uber comfy.

LOWER TO THE GROUND, NATURAL MOTION TECHNOLOGY

biom-zero-back.jpg

There really isn't much sole to these at all, but fear not this does not come off as unnatural compared to what you normally might be used to. Those from a traditionally thicker sole should have no trouble transitioning to the BIOMs. Once again, as pointed out before there's a lot of stability to the BIOM ZERO's.

ECCO-DYNAMIC TRACTION SYSTEM® (E-DTS®) HYBRID TECHNOLOGY

bion-zero-spikes.jpg

Spike-less? Yes. Traction-less? No. ECCO's “soft Spike” Dynamic Ttraction System® is along to ensure you don't slip when the pressures on.

Look for a follow up report after I've had a chance to put some serious playing time on these.

FOR MORE INFO:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/men-golf/ecco-mens-biom-zero-golf-lace-130314.html?dwvar_130314_color=58247#cgid=golf-men-biom

http://ca.shop.ecco.com/

biom-zero-toe-top.jpg

biom-zero-box.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Mmmmm, baby.  Those are some nice looking shoes.  Had a pair of Ecco's several years ago - up there with True Linkswear in terms of comfort!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Mmmmm, baby.  Those are some nice looking shoes.  Had a pair of Ecco's several years ago - up there with True Linkswear in terms of comfort!

The Trues I have are like big slippers, these feel more a part of the golfer.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

Gotta agree with the slipper vs. golf shoe comparison. I have True's and ECCO's and prefer the latter from a performance standpoint. I love the comfort of the True's, of course, but they can feel a little mushy at times.

Looking forward to reading about the performance of the BIOM Zero's.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

When I play in the afternoon, I wear my Ecco streets.......as most of my golf is a 8 AM shotgun, there is too much dew on the ground for the Ecco's to hold.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

• SPY VIP

When I play in the afternoon, I wear my Ecco streets.......as most of my golf is a 8 AM shotgun, there is too much dew on the ground for the Ecco's to hold.

Thanks Foz I'll keep this in mind when I'm going out early.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

I've used Zero since summer 2013. Can't compare it to real barefoot shoes like Vivo. Too much stability and the sole is too stiff. I think it would've been a better shoe with a different sole. It's like they've just used the sole from the regular street.

It's a good "crossover" model though. Nice way for those interested in zero drop and barefoot to try it without too extreme shoes.

I've used Zero since summer 2013. Can't compare it to real barefoot shoes like Vivo. Too much stability and the sole is too stiff. I think it would've been a better shoe with a different sole. It's like they've just used the sole from the regular street.

It's a good "crossover" model though. Nice way for those interested in zero drop and barefoot to try it without too extreme shoes.

This is an interesting point. I have a pair of Vivo's and you feel everything through the sole. I was thinking the ECCO's would be better with more structure, but it sounds like there may be too much.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

These Bioms look even more comfortable than my Ecco Streets.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

This is an interesting point. I have a pair of Vivo's and you feel everything through the sole. I was thinking the ECCO's would be better with more structure, but it sounds like there may be too much.

I would suggest Puma Faas Lite if you want the light, zero drop feeling without the thin Vivo sole. Yes - you can feel if it's heads or tails when stepping on a coin in Vivo. 

Nice review. I just picked up a pair of these a week or so ago and have yet to take them out of the box.

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Wish I had $299 to spend on a pair, decided to get a pair of the streets instead for $100 :)

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Wore my ned black and red Biom Hybrids today... Been a while since I had Eccos on my feet... Yep, love these still

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.