Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What's your plan man?

I'm not playing today due our first real cold front of the season. Windy too. So, I've been thinking about this past year and my golf game specifically. What did I accomplish? Where did I fail? What can I do differently in 2016 to better my game, etc, etc. Thinking, thinking.

In January 2015 I decided I'd make a real effort to improve my game. How was I going to do this you ask? Three ways that I figured would certainly help.
1. Start taking lessons/coaching - more focused practice.
2. Drop a few pounds and improve my diet.
3. Start and maintain a weekly stretching program.

Lessons/coaching -
In February I took my first of 6 lessons so far this year. I worked with a local PGA Pro and occasional Champions Tour player. From the start we discussed what my objectives were and how we'd get there. In a nut shell I didn't need to make any drastic swing changes. I already had/have a decent swing. We worked more on some fundamentals and minor changes. Such as... ball position, alignment, where on the handle I grip the club (I know what you're thinking*), shot shaping, short game, etc, etc. I'll rate my lesson/coaching experience as a 10. Did it improve my ball striking and scoring? Yes. Defiantly and rather quickly. I'm now thinking of stepping things up for 2016. Right now I'd like to explore working with my Pro twice a week through the first 6 months of 2016 then once a month thereafter.

Diet/weight control -
Last January 2014 I went on the Eat Less by Plaid diet and dropped 15 pounds. I've continued to practice my method pretty much but gained back 5 pounds in 2015. I'll refocus starting in January 2016 and shave those 5 pounds quickly. I rate my success this year a 7.5.

Stretching program -
In 2014 I purchased a golf specific stretching program by Roger Fredericks. I've got to tell you; I've been pretty much a complete failure for two years with the program. The best I did was in 2014 when I worked it for 3 months and quit. Just as results were starting to show. Dumb. So... once again beginning in 2016 I start again. Let me say, it's not the program it's me. The program is very good and simple. And it doesn't take much time to go through each day. At home. Perhaps 20 minutes? But it will work. I'm determined to get stretched out this year. I believe this alone will do wonders for my game. Your game too. I rate my stretching as a failure. 0.

So there you have it guys. My goal this year was to get my handicap down to a 5 or less. I don't think I'm going to make it unless I get to practice/play more before year end. Hopefully, I'll maintain my current 6.

*my instructor at my first lesson had me grip down on the club. I now grip/hold the club with my left hand about1” to 1.5” below the butt end. (I play right-handed) I used to hold the club with the butt slightly resting on the meat portion inside my left palm. Now the butt extends slightly past my hand when gripped properly. My instructor said, “This is how pros hold the club.” Well that's for me. Take a look on TV sometime and you'll notice it. This alone made more noticeable and immediate improvement in ball striking than most any other thing we worked on all summer. Try it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great post PJ, missed this before when I bumped the old thread.

My first goal is to do some functional strength, flexibility, and cardio in conjunction with a good diet. I've got about 20 lbs I need to lose.

My second goal is to continue with the short game practice. I want it to the point where I can still grind out decent scores if my driver or iron swings elude me for a day.

I also like the last part of your post about the grip. My striking hasn't been the best lately and it's definitely worth a shot without having to make any major changes.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have been doing 2 and 3 for a couple of years now. I have dropped close to 40 lbs from the pic in my avatar. Now on #3 I do my own program which has some yoga mixed in with what is called isometrics no formal program by any guru just my own common sense program. I do try to swing the weighted club daily and stay loose which is important for us big guys.

The only problem that is advancing with me is my ankles. I have old nagging injuries that are somewhat getting worse. I have to now use the ankle braces when I play or practice and I can not walk like I used to especially this time of year. I have an appointment with a ortho surgeon after the first of the year when my new Obama care insurance kicks in.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived