Our Pro Leaving, Taking Gig in SouthWest

NiftyNiblick

If you get a set of Louisville woods, you will be my golfing hero!!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It's so different from irons.  I've got very old irons that are just a fresh grip away from being playable.

Old woods dry out and will crack if played, even with today's softer golf balls.  Even the laminated maple ones will crack when they get old enough.  If I try wood, it would have to be new.

I don't know.  Let's see how finances look after the holidays.

I just had a new deck built off my wife's sunroom.  That wasn't cheap.  I really love the old broad, but she's killing me.

Can I be your hero too?

20151129_132905.jpg

20151129_133008.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Still miss my MacGregor Tourneys -- played that 1-3-5 set until the mid-90's.  Hitting one on the screws was, as we say in Minnesota, better than sex and almost as good as sweet corn.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Still miss my MacGregor Tourneys -- played that 1-3-5 set until the mid-90's. Hitting one BETWEEN the screws was, as we say in Minnesota, better than sex and almost as good as sweet corn.

fixed that for ya my friend ;)

As the young whipper snapper of the group, I should not be the one to know this lol. Just sayin

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Can I be a hero too? Here is a pic of my vintage stuff I play when playing "strictly vintage"

ATT_1445121383007_20151017_132917.jpg

Driver Toney Penna Model 59

4 wood Macgregor Tourney

5 wood Macgregor Tourney Custom

1 Iron 985 Macgregor Tourney Custom

Irons 3 thru 9 1962 vintage Macgregor CF-4000 M-2

PW Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfield 20th Anniversary

SW Macgregor Nicklaus Personal 56*

Putter Macgregor IM-5 Ironmaster 1965 vintage

Bag Macgregor Tartan Mini Staff 1980 vintage

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I used to play a lot of golf with a guy who had a Pena driver, I had forgotten about him, thanks for the memory. Seriously!

I played with a gang of super seniors yesterday. They ranged from 84 to 68. None of them had any sort of game but we had a great time and talked a lot about equipment. I played from 6,100 yards they from 5,500. The 84 year old has been a member of the course for 40 years so back to wooden driver days. He was a college football player and the tees that I played were the tips back then. He said his best drives with wood were not quite to where mine were going.

As much as I may long for wood, courses would have to be rolled back significantly to consider playing with it again. I'd also have to alter my swing. I think it's best to leave well enough alone, the game is still plenty tough enough with modern equipment. I'm not doing a church service without the state of the art sound system and I'm not playing golf withough a more forgiving, lighter and thus longer driver.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nobody goes back to wood for the technology.

One might go back for fit.

With all the shaft choices available today, I'm left with the reality that my game is more club head dependent than shaft dependent.  I'm trying to remember a regular or senior flex graphite shaft that wasn't playable for me and I can't.  Maybe you stiff shaft guys have a different experience.

'

Look on eight major OEM websites: Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, and Wilson.  That's a reasonably representative selection, right?

Now show me the spaces on the order form where you can specify your loft, face angle, lie angle, club head weight for the purposes of matching swing weights with off-standard lengths, and stamping preferences.  Keep looking. Give up?  They're not there.

With real wood, it's completely different. For $50 more than the off-the rack price, the Louisville website says, they'll make your wood any way that you want it.  It's WOOD.  They don't cast or forge it.  They have to lathe it.  And as long as they're lathing it, they can lathe it the way the customer wants it. 

So now, imagine that it's club heads and not shafts with which you're dissatisfied.  You learned to play with wood if you're my age.  It didn't seem like a problem then.  So what's better?  New technology that doesn't fit or old technology that fits perfectly?

See what I'm sayin'?

Or you can look around for some tour issue stuff with the exact specs you want. That way you get the new tech and your exact wanted specs. Or find a fitter that will bend your stuff how you want. Bottom line I just can't see myself with a wood driver for any reason. It won't improve my game.

You're a four, Undershooter.

You use the 12º SLDR TP minidriver as a fairway wood.  I use the 14º AeroBurner TP mini as a driver.

You use X-flex steel shafts in your irons.  I use R-flex graphite.

I don't know how old you are, but I'll bet that you're younger than my kids.

I also doubt that you play at 6000 yards as I do.

Is the Dinero Mogul a toe hang?  Probably, because I'm a face-balanced guy.

I fully agree that wooden woods won't do anything for your game. Good call.

What we need to know is what they can do for mine!

You're a four, Undershooter.

You use the 12º SLDR TP minidriver as a fairway wood.  I use the 14º AeroBurner TP mini as a driver.

You use X-flex steel shafts in your irons.  I use R-flex graphite.

I don't know how old you are, but I'll bet that you're younger than my kids.

I also doubt that you play at 6000 yards as I do.

Is the Dinero Mogul a toe hang?  Probably, because I'm a face-balanced guy.

I fully agree that wooden woods won't do anything for your game. Good call.

What we need to know is what they can do for mine!

Fair enough we are different but I feel like game improvement equipment is even more important for a higher handicap players with slower swing speeds. The tech is there to help. Hell I can prolly shoot sub 80 on a 7000 yard course with persimmon and old blades. Doesn't mean thats what I need to play though. Have you been professionally fit with any of the newer drivers lately?

And yes your correct the Dinero is toe hang.

Archived