What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

5 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

Now that you are asking, I generally read greens very well, so I don’t work on that so much. What I do work on the most  ,is hitting the ball with the center of the putter, pace and  tempo . Then work on starting my ball out on an immediate target first (16 inches in front of the ball) to the break if any . 

I hope that helps your game 😀

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

18 hours ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

I worked on putting first , 5 footers until  I made 10 out of 10 , 10 footers until I made 5 out of 10 , 20 footers for tempo and direction and a bonus if they went in . 

Then headed to the range and hit wedges up to an 8 iron 

I’m feeling a lot better about my irons !

Jim I made the mistake of going from mid cavity blades (Taylormade P7 MCs) to  Callaway ST Max  thinking it d be a wiser choice because of “forgiveness “ but they are just too oversized and clanky to  me , so I went back to my mid cavity blades . So I’m trying to get back to playing them 😄

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Day 48 (01 Mar 24) - Took the day off from full swings to roll the putter some.  Wanted to refocus on the stroke and pace.  Felt like I've been overthinking the line instead of just putting it.  As a sidebar, did a little of the Jordan Speith thing of looking at the target point and putting "blind".  Amazing just how accurate it can be.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Recently had my regular flex Tensei blue shaft tipped .5” on my driver. I’ve always struggled with hitting off the heel, and this shaft has always felt a little noodley to me. 

So, I finally had a chance to hit/play a sim round with it, and I think it’s a step in the right direction! Still having my best results choked up to the end of the grip, but finally starting to find the center of the face. Could probably take another .5” off the back off the shaft, and would like to take 1” off the back of my stiff Tensei white shaft for comparison.

Averaged 225yds with 96.8mph club speed on range.

9/14 fairways and average 220yd drive during sim round. Ended up shooting 90 (44 out/46 in) at Bay Harbor - Links/Quarry (Par 72, 6228yds, 70.9/143). Played against myself as a “ghost round” beat my last attempt by 19 😅 felt bad for past me.

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

Had such a great session on the range yesterday, getting my distances and pure strikes

20240301_131126.jpg

Driver:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS Driver

3 Hybrid:callaway-small:APEX'21 3H

5 Wood : :callaway-small:Rogue ST MAX LS

Irons:callaway-small: APEX'21  5-PW Irons

Wedges:callaway-small: JAWS 56 

Putter :  :odyssey-small:2-ball 

Balls:callaway-small:Callaway Chrome Soft OR :srixon-small: AD 333

Completed testsShot Scope V5

Just keeping it out the sun😂 

Driver:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS Driver

3 Hybrid:callaway-small:APEX'21 3H

5 Wood : :callaway-small:Rogue ST MAX LS

Irons:callaway-small: APEX'21  5-PW Irons

Wedges:callaway-small: JAWS 56 

Putter :  :odyssey-small:2-ball 

Balls:callaway-small:Callaway Chrome Soft OR :srixon-small: AD 333

Completed testsShot Scope V5

Driver was all over the place today. I was striking the ball cleanly but coming over the top with my wrists and pulling my drives left which is very unusual for me.

Upside is that I was stroking my short irons (<8 iron) lovely and was throwing darts 140 in on a couple of times through the Top 12 game  on the Top Tracer range app.

image.jpeg.cbb1ed47fbadbbed760baf82327b7093.jpeg

image.jpeg.df4973f8194b1b04adc1bd60aed24e7a.jpeg

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Driver was all over the place today. I was striking the ball cleanly but coming over the top with my wrists and pulling my drives left which is very unusual for me.

Upside is that I was stroking my short irons (<8 iron) lovely and was throwing darts 140 in on a couple of times through the Top 12 game  on the Top Tracer range app.

image.jpeg.cbb1ed47fbadbbed760baf82327b7093.jpeg

image.jpeg.df4973f8194b1b04adc1bd60aed24e7a.jpeg

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Pretty basic, first range session of the season for me today. Mostly going through the motions to get the rust off. I was quite pleased that as soon as I saw a shot start going to the right I was able to make the proper corrections and the next ones were pretty straight. Starting off the season on the correct foot I think. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

Day 49 (02 Mar 24) -  woke to a soggy yard (steady rain overnight), was able this afternoon to get outside to work on some pitch work with the 54, using the tulip tree (about 20' high) as an obstacle to get up and over.  Was a good challenge to used the bounce to not "plow the soft soil" and get the ball up and over the tree.  Solid strikes flew up, and over and close to the target.  Heavy strikes put the ball in the tree.  A good visual drill to really dial in distance (was only hitting about 25 - 30 yards).  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Today at the range, was an irons only day as the mats were very dingy from the rain overnight. That being said, they just added Trackmans to this range! I was able to practice my iron/wedge consistency there and actually see the dispersion. Can't wait to use the Qi10 there next time and finally be able to give some results (note: I forgot to add in which target and club I was using, too giddy a range FINALLY has a Trackman)

IMG_20240303_162110.jpg.0b5719e2eb105b7c9779f4c80a1fd570.jpg

Then just putted around afterwards for an hour. Too many chippers chippering. Finding a lot of success with the change in grip, especially from 20 ft out. Still having lip-out issues though. Really need to work on driving those ones home. 

Edited by Michael.Sandoval33

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

Took the 4th lesson in as many weeks today. Today was full swings, FINALLY. Started with putting, then chipping, then not chipping and pitching... Building up.

It was an absolute light bulb moment when we worked on tempo and right arm control.

I quite enjoy having someone watch me swing. The feedback has been incredible. On a quest for effortless power and greater consistency, I've another range lesson next week before an on course lesson. I can't wait for that one.

My teacher still seems to really enjoy seeing light bulb moments. Moreso than a good ball flight.

Might need to spend a few hours at the course tomorrow while the crew is on my roof....

Here's to a great week, Spies.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

man, I didnt want to do it, but I got off the couch and went to the putting green to work on my stroke. did the circle drill, mirror drill then had a putting competition with my wife, I think I found the secret, but not telling anyone lol... 

Hit some drives too, having trouble with ball position... will work on that this week for sure..

committed to performance excellence

23 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

Took the 4th lesson in as many weeks today. Today was full swings, FINALLY. Started with putting, then chipping, then not chipping and pitching... Building up.

It was an absolute light bulb moment when we worked on tempo and right arm control.

I quite enjoy having someone watch me swing. The feedback has been incredible. On a quest for effortless power and greater consistency, I've another range lesson next week before an on course lesson. I can't wait for that one.

My teacher still seems to really enjoy seeing light bulb moments. Moreso than a good ball flight.

Might need to spend a few hours at the course tomorrow while the crew is on my roof....

Here's to a great week, Spies.

B

Sounds like you're getting a good experience. I have my first lesson this upcoming Sunday and I have no clue how to even go about it.

WITB

Day 50 (03 Mar 24) - Range war this afternoon as my son and I met up for a couple of buckets of balls . Allowed me to “tinker” with the weights on the Edel SMS 7i (really digging a 6-4-2 (T-M-H) set up.  Worked thru the rest of the bag - using the down range yardage markers as key target points. Wrapped up with some chips and putter work on the practice green.  

It’s been a while since I have dropped my practice notes here but I’m settling into a pretty good weekly routine as far as practice goes. Right now my main priority is slowing my tempo a bit in the backswing then exploding through the ball with hips firing. 
Aside from that, I’m in week three of integrating Aim Point Putting and so far that is really helping my game. Lastly, my new focus is going to be on pitch shots 50-80 yards as I seem to encounter those 4-5 times per round right now and it’s not a strength of mine 

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | Mini Driver: TM.png.c0139570dc94d722d029a0fd7eb7a29d.png BRNR Mini Copper (Kai’Li Blue 70g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: 70.png.1ae5bfad62a351abc53782dad3047968.png 699 v2 Utility (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) | Irons: Callaway_Golf_Company_logo_svg.png.6bb103045bcd0cbd0a94f4616a97a811.png Ai Smoke 5-AW (Project X Denali Black) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (DG  Tour Series S400) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double-Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict. 

Sounds like you're getting a good experience. I have my first lesson this upcoming Sunday and I have no clue how to even go about it.
I've had bad ones in the past. Rather, uncomfortable. It's a job interview the first time out... Basically. Just try and see if it feels right. Did you learn something... Did they listen to you.

I told him that I loved to practice and asked him to prescribe drills that would help me where I'm at. Last week I think I swung the club about twelve times but it was an amazing lesson. That might not sit well for some others.

I asked him for golf lessons not swing instruction, so we're going at it holistically and I think that's what's setting this coach apart from previous ones.

Hope you mesh with the first and if not, hope you find someone with whom you do sooner than later.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

15 minutes ago, J7Hawkins said:

It’s been a while since I have dropped my practice notes here but I’m settling into a pretty good weekly routine as far as practice goes. Right now my main priority is slowing my tempo a bit in the backswing then exploding through the ball with hips firing. 
Aside from that, I’m in week three of integrating Aim Point Putting and so far that is really helping my game. Lastly, my new focus is going to be on pitch shots 50-80 yards as I seem to encounter those 4-5 times per round right now and it’s not a strength of mine 

Oh the value of good course notes - allows one to objectively review outside the pressure of the round.  Keep it going!  Has helped me to have key focus points in my drills, and on course strategy.  

19 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

I've had bad ones in the past. Rather, uncomfortable. It's a job interview the first time out... Basically. Just try and see if it feels right. Did you learn something... Did they listen to you.

I told him that I loved to practice and asked him to prescribe drills that would help me where I'm at. Last week I think I swung the club about twelve times but it was an amazing lesson. That might not sit well for some others.

I asked him for golf lessons not swing instruction, so we're going at it holistically and I think that's what's setting this coach apart from previous ones.

Hope you mesh with the first and if not, hope you find someone with whom you do sooner than later.

B

Yeah definitely going to get a feel for the instructor first day. It feels like I have a lot that I want to work on and he will probably notice without me saying much, but won't know until then. Thanks for sharing your experiences, some things to think about beforehand. 

WITB

35 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Yeah definitely going to get a feel for the instructor first day.

A good instructor, and I've had some that were and some that weren't, will watch you hit a few balls and know what needs to be done. Which may mean you don't hit another ball for the rest of the lesson, depending on what it is. She might just go with drills.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

7 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

A good instructor, and I've had some that were and some that weren't, will watch you hit a few balls and know what needs to be done. Which may mean you don't hit another ball for the rest of the lesson, depending on what it is. She might just go with drills.

Drills would be more than okay with me. My ball striking is not terrible, but self taught, and I do feel like I hit an early plateau without the knowledge to progress. Thanks for the insight!

WITB

How did your lesson go @Michael.Sandoval33?  I hope well!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 Max 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS1 (shafts:  :kbs: Tour 120S)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :cleveland-small: Frontline Elite 1.0
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Just now, IndyBonzo said:

How did your lesson go @Michael.Sandoval33?  I hope well!

It's not until this upcoming Sunday Indy! But I will definitely keep you guys posted. I figured it was as good a time as any to start lessons while the testing is going on. Could make for some interesting posts there as well. 

WITB

9 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

A good instructor is going to have the student hit balls after drills. The drill is to engrain a movement pattern change. There is a balance between drills and hitting balls. Usually 5-6 balls with the drill and then 5-10 balls with a golf swing trying to incorporate the movement from the drill. That’s both in a lesson and while practicing post lesson

12 hours ago, J7Hawkins said:

Aside from that, I’m in week three of integrating Aim Point Putting and so far that is really helping my game. 

How easy has this been to pickup? /How are you going about learning it? Always been curious about aimpoint, they make it sound like some form of dark magic 🪄 during tour coverage.

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

On 9/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jim Shaw said:

Hey Spy's...

Just finished my iron fitting..

tried my Takomo’s, titleist t100, taylormade 770 with a graphite shaft, taylormade 790 with a graphite shaft

The fitter moved my Takomo’s 2 degrees stronger and they performed as well as the rest, he wants to do a follow up Thursday at 4, and wants me to bring my miuras, I am thinking my Takomo’s will be just fine.

Lots of work with a 7 iron, back is a bit sore from walking all the balls lol...

Looking forward to thursday. I dont have any of my numbers yet but the good thing was the club head speed and ball speed were very consistent in all the clubs. 

More to come thursday....

Just now, Marty Reymann said:

Most people are wasting their time going to the golf range.

Most people who go to the range have no clue as to what it takes to develop a competent golf swing, they watch videos and read countless tips and exercises that only make things more confusing and frustrating and a lot of the times make things worse.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A good instructor is going to have the student hit balls after drills. The drill is to engrain a movement pattern change. There is a balance between drills and hitting balls. Usually 5-6 balls with the drill and then 5-10 balls with a golf swing trying to incorporate the movement from the drill. That’s both in a lesson and while practicing post lesson

The instructor has some short reels on YT and Instagram, and I think this is along the lines of how the lesson goes. If so, it seems like a methodology of teaching I can get behind. 

WITB

1 hour ago, BallsLeon said:

How easy has this been to pickup? /How are you going about learning it? Always been curious about aimpoint, they make it sound like some form of dark magic 🪄 during tour coverage.

I would say it hasn't been too tough to pick up and be decent at it. The only thing I would say that you need is a decent digital torpedo level that you can use to "sync" your feet to. The challenging part is that you get your read but then still have to account for things such as green speed, up/down hill, grain, wind, so your "2 finger break" may need to be played at 2.5 or 3.

I happen to be at a club with pros that are members (Hovland, Chacarra, etc.) use Aim Point so I have taken notes from watching them on the practice greens but I have also verified those notes with an instructor to make sure I haven't misunderstood certain aspects. In my opinion the best part of Aim Point is how much quicker I am able to get a read and hit a putt, no more walking around all angles of the green, and better yet, not more getting tricked by angles behind the green.

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | Mini Driver: TM.png.c0139570dc94d722d029a0fd7eb7a29d.png BRNR Mini Copper (Kai’Li Blue 70g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: 70.png.1ae5bfad62a351abc53782dad3047968.png 699 v2 Utility (20° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90g) | Irons: Callaway_Golf_Company_logo_svg.png.6bb103045bcd0cbd0a94f4616a97a811.png Ai Smoke 5-AW (Project X Denali Black) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (DG  Tour Series S400) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double-Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict.