What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

24 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Interlocking will remain on the 9-wedges as I have more spin control that way on shorter shots. Baseball grip is to gain distance and shot trajectory accuracy.  I'm excited to see how this "plays" out

I've noticed Lexi has 2 fingers interlocking with her grip, going to try it next time I'm hitting when the rain 🌧️ takes a break 😞 I watch her alot trying to see if it's just me seeing things but I was surprised and sat up to get a better look, anyone else noticed Lexi doing that. Her left thumb appears further down inside her right hand 🤔

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Did some indoor putting this evening.

- 3 feet: 10/10 
- 6 feet: 9/10 
- 10 feet: 6/10

Overall it was a bit of a struggle…didn’t really feel too comfortable with the putter tonight for quite a while.

Started to get better towards the end…widen my stance a little and focused on keeping the upper body steady (think I was swaying a little in the beginning). 

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

14 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I've noticed Lexi has 2 fingers interlocking with her grip, going to try it next time I'm hitting when the rain 🌧️ takes a break 😞 I watch her alot trying to see if it's just me seeing things but I was surprised and sat up to get a better look, anyone else noticed Lexi doing that. Her left thumb appears further down inside her right hand 🤔

Looks like a standard interlock grip with long thumb to me based on pictures on getty images.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Looks like a standard interlock grip with long thumb to me based on pictures on getty images.  

Jack Nicklaus said that a longer thumb means a longer swing and the shorter thumb (pulled in toward your palm ) gives you more control! Of course , he has only won 18 majors and placed second numerous times . Jacks still the man to me 🫵

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

18 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

Jack Nicklaus said that a longer thumb means a longer swing and the shorter thumb (pulled in toward your palm ) gives you more control! Of course , he has only won 18 majors and placed second numerous times . Jacks still the man to me 🫵

Lots of analysis on long versus short thumb.   Jack is a source; I prefer newer more analytical information based on what technology tells us as it occasionally disproves what pros are saying.  The ball flight laws is a key example.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Couldn't get out as a single first thing this morning, so took the opportunity to head out first on the back nine and play 2 balls. 

Concentrated on commitment and finish. 

Hit the ball really well.

Playing the back nine before it gets set, means dewy greens and collapsed cups (not a crisp lip/edge). I had difficulty with the speed and line because of the dew and had a couple singe the edge which was compromised.

All in all, had a great hour and 35 minutes. Got in before the rain started and home ahead of things getting started around here.

Good warmup for a Monday round with the boys!!

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Driver - Callaway Rogue Reg shaft 10 degree (Circa 2018)

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha 3 Metal (2014)

Hybrids - Callaway X-Hot Pro 16 and 20 degree (2014)

Irons - Callaway Apex Pro Graphite Shafts 4-A (2014)

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 56 (2014) and 58 (2019)

Putter - Kayson Mallet 34" (2023)

Bags - Carry: Sun Mountain (2005) Cart: BagBoy Easy Rider Lite (2019)

Pull/Push Cart - BagBoy Compact3 (2019)

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Lots of analysis on long versus short thumb.   Jack is a source; I prefer newer more analytical information based on what technology tells us as it occasionally disproves what pros are saying.  The ball flight laws is a key example.  

To some degree, I do agree with you about technology. If Jack Nicklaus played with today’s equipment,ball , and technology he would have had over 25 majors , I believe. He played with butter knife blades and egg -shaped balls for the most part .

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I’ve been stinking it up lately, hitting slices on my drives, which I have never done before. Had a theory that I was mostly turning my shoulders but not my hips. Worked on really using my legs to shift my hips, pushing first on my back, and then on the front to bring the club through. Well, it was a really good session. Did not hit a single slice, ball flight was almost always straight. Hit a few hooks when released my wrists early. Biggest issue was opening hips too far and pulling the ball to the left.

Shot dispersion:

IMG_3364.jpeg.60fc6d4684a13130e5ae9bb53d936868.jpeg

Love the birdie balls for practice.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

Nice practice area!!!  Driver is something I am working on as well. I've just switched my grip and it has helped some, next is to work on getting the upper body to mesh better with the lower.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Day 42 (24 Feb 24) - After taking a break yesterday - spent some time with the 7i and hard foam balls in the backyard.  Focused on setup and coming through the ball.  Was a good quick break in the hectic day that was today.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Full swing - practiced grip and stance then very short and slow swings with the club head moving from set to just past my right (trail) foot then to just past impact. Did 10 each, right hand only, left hand only and both hands.

Putting: Mainly worked on setup and where my eyes are relative to the ball and line. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex 

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-GW - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind 56* - Recoil 80 F3 shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB, or

Seemore FGP  

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

I got out to the range today to spend some time with the Mevo and if you want to read about the experience, you can head over to the FlightScope thread to read about it. 

TLDR: I hit decently well with the short irons and woods, but got a case of the shanks with the 7 and 8 irons. I worked on ball position and attempted not to let my wrists break down at the top of the backswing with the fairway woods and driver and hit some decent shots. 

I got on the practice green for a bit since there's been a putter change in my bag. I decided to bench the Agera in favor of my 2 Ball. I did pretty good with it and the comfort of having the Odyssey back in the bag was wonderful.

I went to the chipping green and hit some stinkers until I noticed I was letting my body away back. I started keeping it still and was finally coping the ball like I know I can. 

13 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I got out to the range today to spend some time with the Mevo and if you want to read about the experience, you can head over to the FlightScope thread to read about it. 

TLDR: I hit decently well with the short irons and woods, but got a case of the shanks with the 7 and 8 irons. I worked on ball position and attempted not to let my wrists break down at the top of the backswing with the fairway woods and driver and hit some decent shots. 

I got on the practice green for a bit since there's been a putter change in my bag. I decided to bench the Agera in favor of my 2 Ball. I did pretty good with it and the comfort of having the Odyssey back in the bag was wonderful.

I went to the chipping green and hit some stinkers until I noticed I was letting my body away back. I started keeping it still and was finally coping the ball like I know I can. 

Keep plugging away my friend !

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Day 43 (25 Feb 24) - Grabbed the TA 845s PW (48*) and the Indi GW (50*) some pitching fun  - proximity to pin was key.  4 balls per club, distances of 15 yds, 20 yds and 25+.   Results were very similar, but can easily see where either can do most jobs around the green. Was fun comparing late 80’s tech with 23 tech….

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I went to the course today and did a  “practice 9 “ , worked on punch  shots and flighted wedges , which is what I needed to work on the most . Lots of wind lately which is not conducive for full and high shots . My scrambling could use a little work but at the moment I'm about at 40% , it will improve once the course grows in. I have  had about 1 (3) putt per round but that is really tied to hitting better iron shots . But worked on some lag putting  anyway.

I like to keep stats and always work on my biggest weakness at the moment .

Last but not least , my driver is solid as always , missed one fairway but was just in the light rough and got up close to the green on my approach, then chipped up to 5 foot and made the putt . 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Hit 60 balls today at the range, working on a beginning of the season swing change. Following up on what I think I learned yesterday; push my hands forward to de-loft the club a bit, come back slow & inside, and come through with my whole body instead of just my arms. I say it now like I had it all figured out on the range but this was the takeaway from yesterday and today.

I was smoking my 7 iron, averaging 164 with a bad mishit on the first shot bringing down my average. Problem is that I'm not taking my 6,5,4 irons too much further; 183 on the 6, but only 174 with the 4! So I still have work to do.

It's probably time for me to invest in lessons. I have a good idea of what I'm currently doing, what's the best approach to getting lessons? Talk to the pro at my local and see what happens is where I'll start. I feel like 1/2 dozen 1-on-1 sessions will take me where I want to go this season. What have people's experiences been with lessons?

Going to be 60+ in DC tomorrow, got my clubs scrubbed up to be ready to squeeze in a quick 9 after work.

IMG_5159.jpeg

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

I decided to hit a range session before my round today. I got to borrow a demo/rental Stealth 2 driver from the clubhouse, and well.... see for yourself!

Altogether I swatted around 150 balls.

here is a quick comparison to the TM Burner 2.0, and if you dont laugh at this with me, oh well....😆 

Moved on to the 4hy

Then the 7i

Goodwill $5 pw

Spent a good amount of time working the kinks out of the 60⁰

And lastly the putter

I am desperately looking for a driver newer than 2019 now, as this Burner 2.0 is absolutely garbage in my hands!!!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

10 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I decided to hit a range session before my round today. I got to borrow a demo/rental Stealth 2 driver from the clubhouse, and well.... see for yourself!

Altogether I swatted around 150 balls.

here is a quick comparison to the TM Burner 2.0, and if you dont laugh at this with me, oh well....😆 

Moved on to the 4hy

Then the 7i

Goodwill $5 pw

Spent a good amount of time working the kinks out of the 60⁰

And lastly the putter

I am desperately looking for a driver newer than 2019 now, as this Burner 2.0 is absolutely garbage in my hands!!!

Great videos, looks like a good range session. Did the Stealth produce a fade for you?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

43 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

Great videos, looks like a good range session. Did the Stealth produce a fade for you?

Indeed it did! Not any big ones,  But 10-15 yards max.  This model didn't have any slider adjustment weights on the bottom. But does have the weighted screws you can swap around ( I think)

I did hit a few very straight ones too

WITB-

While unlikely I am going to try and get a bit of speed training done today on the rapsodo. Need to get back into it!

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

On 2/25/2024 at 6:04 AM, cnosil said:

Interesting might try it as I'm looking to try something different just for fun 😁

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I played yesterday but plan on going to the range today. Goal is figure out how to hit driver straight or at least without a push fade.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybrid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :callaway-small:  Tour X 2024
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours or Sketchers Max Fairway Go 4

Day 44 (26 Feb 24) - Grandson put in for time on the DivotBoard this afternoon, so off we went to the backyard.  Was a good session, even the missus got in on the action as she hit a few 7i's just to see how it worked.  Gotta love family time like this....

With the temperatures warming up and golf season right around the corner, I was able to hit some balls indoors with my Rapsodo. I'm continuing to work on keeping my trail elbow tight to my body, trying to ensure that I don't come from over the top. With this small change, ball striking needs a little bit of work. I am starting to dial in a little bit, but need a lot more practice sessions ahead.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Seven S

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

Nice day today in RI and the snow is nearly gone. I hit a small bucket at the range today, concentrating on my hybrids, 5W and Driver. I my recent Trackman session, I had problems with these clubs going left and as a result, adjusted the settings flatter and today was the first time hitting them....big imprvement!

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex 

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-GW - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind 56* - Recoil 80 F3 shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB, or

Seemore FGP  

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

9 hours ago, CSiders12 said:

With the temperatures warming up and golf season right around the corner, I was able to hit some balls indoors with my Rapsodo. I'm continuing to work on keeping my trail elbow tight to my body, trying to ensure that I don't come from over the top. With this small change, ball striking needs a little bit of work. I am starting to dial in a little bit, but need a lot more practice sessions ahead.

I have also been trying to pull my elbow in tighter recently, as my self videos proved I was flaring it out straight, causing massive slices or low hooks. So far it's helping alot, but leveling my swing plane below my neckline is another story altogether. (Lead Shoulder flex/rotation injury) forces me to go over my head when above the shoulder plane. The tighter elbow definitely has helped 

WITB-

9 hours ago, CSiders12 said:

Sounds like me across the board! I’ve been working a lot on this and driver ball speed, finally hit 150mph on my MLM. Now I just have to play to see how it translates 😬

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 11*
4 wood: Titleist 975f 16.5*
7 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Irons: 5-PW Maltby DBM Forged, Nippon Pro Modus 120s
Wedges: 50* PING S159 S-12 | 54* PING S159 S-12 | 58*: PING S159 T-6
Putter: PING Sigma G Kinloch C

Forum Tests and Reviews:

38 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I have also been trying to pull my elbow in tighter recently, as my self videos proved I was flaring it out straight, causing massive slices or low hooks. So far it's helping alot, but leveling my swing plane below my neckline is another story altogether. (Lead Shoulder flex/rotation injury) forces me to go over my head when above the shoulder plane. The tighter elbow definitely has helped 

I have struggled losing shots to the right my entire golfing career. I am hoping that I can see a difference with this change. I may also need to make a slight grip change to help close the face at impact. Always a game of improvement. Good luck to us both!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Seven S

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

We hit 70° in Michigan today, so I was able to get some gooding putting practice in the fresh air. Focused on setting up square and getting the ball rolling over a spot ~6 inches in front of the ball.

I've also been putting the Stack Putting app through it's paces. It's proved to be addicting so far and gives much needed structure to my putting practice. The immediate feedback on my tendencies (missing left, not enough speed, etc) also helps to keep from mindlessly stroking putts without thinking about the bigger picture.

Always looking for new friends in Mid Michigan

Day 45 (27 Feb 24) - spent time with the Edel 7i and moving the weights (of course in gusty 20 mph winds hard foam balls don’t fly as true - they will ride the wind like crazy and die like an overspun ball into it).  It was fun moving the weights and noticing how the club reacted.  No hard numbers - but based on the shot shapes seen, 6g in the heel, 4g in the middle and 2g in the toe produced a consistent predictable shot shape.