What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Worked on putting,  then driver.  My swing was all wrong and i think I fixed the path by tucking that back elbow into my body more on the downswing. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Days 33 and 34 (14 & 15 Feb 24) - Yesterday was a round of 18 with my son.  Today (the 15th), worked on several things - dink and run chips with the 5h rehearsing shots around the green and pre-shot setup with some swings with 6i and hard foam balls.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I feel like I'm starting to make some progress on the changes I've been working on through my GolfTec lessons.  Unfortunately, my coach called me yesterday to let me know that she has taken a new job so I will be assigned a new coach.  😧

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

23 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I feel like I'm starting to make some progress on the changes I've been working on through my GolfTec lessons.  Unfortunately, my coach called me yesterday to let me know that she has taken a new job so I will be assigned a new coach.  😧

Sorry to hear that! May it be a smooth transition between coaches, and the sessions not be a complete reboot

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Day 35 (16 Feb 24) - first round of the year where I walked the round.  Have an older Bag Boy cart (gifted me while at the local Hospice resell shop).  Trimmed the set to 12 clubs, could have easily trimmed to 10.  Walked it in just over 3hrs (was just ahead of the Friday men’s group).  Managed a 10 over 82, not too bad for the first walk of the year.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Putting practice inside today. Did the yardstick drill - ten total putts made conventionally, followed by ten arm lock. Conventionally, I was able to get 10 putts down the yardstick in about 15 tries, whereas it took more like 20 with arm lock, which I think is mostly due to my lack of experience with arm lock. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

In between worker drone duties, I ran by the course. It had stopped raining, so I grabbed the putter and spent a few minutes over exaggerating putts to the left. Then eased up and worked my way back to my regular setup. Hit a few putts from different lengths, slopes, and levels. Only pushed one right… Big improvement for me. 
  So, this is late, very late, but a shout out to @cnosil, @chisag, and @Jim Shaw for sharing their thoughts, ideas, and drills on putting. 

Spent way too long out there today at the practice facility but I'd hate to waste a warm ish day in the garage.

4 and 6 foot practice then worked on speed control up and down the slope. Then long lag putts.

Wedges up to 120 yards. Had to hit the new hybrid a few times too.

Ended on the chipping area trying to hit spots. I put my towel a few paces off the fringe then used lob/sand wedge from different distance.

Short game practice is a different kind of tiring.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I had my first practice session with Jumbomax on all clubs. I have used them before, and they were hit or miss. At the end of last season I injured my left hand hitting a roof, and started getting a pop in my left hand during my release. So I thought I would dig them back out and give them another try. Honestly, I really enjoyed hitting them. I lost a little feedback, but could still tell in a general area for a mishit. I went from my miss being a pull to a push. I found that I can really turn and not fear a big left miss. No pain in my hand after a long practice day. I finished up with chipping. This took about 30 minutes to adjust and not dig the leading edge in, but after awhile I started chipping really well. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I jumped to go to the range after a week in meetings, only seeing the outside to walk from building to building! Worked on 1/2 shots trying to start this season getting my knuckles rotating down the correct way. My leg action, rear leg specifically is a problem and I need to get it corrected, probably number one for me to accomplish to improve my play! Sore today…

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Back in the bays this week. Missed last week due to a touch of pneumonia. Really started to feel the new swing plane is natural. Taking the right side out of the picture for the most part and simplifying my game. Yardages are up as the new rotational swing is quicker and more repeatable. Worked on driver this week as this is my weak spot right now. Tried Thursday to hit more up and failed miserably. High tee and my swing are not gelling. I tried back down to a lower tee height Friday and was back in the groove. Neutral through the ball, swing speed is up a few mph over last year, middle club face strikes and distance is back. Feeling like my hands are a pivot rather power source. Lower tee is still a draw so keeping right out of play. Still getting 100+ ball height (105 swing, 9 degree PXG 0211, smoke yellow 6.0) with spin in low 3K. 

I got fit into a Ping 430 max 10k and that may be the answer.  Lower spin, a touch more loft and keeping a stiff shaft with a lower tee height rather revamping my driver swing. 

Playing in Gulf Shores next week so we will how the indoor work pays off on grass. 

:cobra-small: LTDx 9 degree driver HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 gr 6.0

:cobra-small: LTDx 3 wood HZRDUS Smoke IM10 Green 60 gr 6.0

:callaway-small:Callaway Apex UW 19 degree HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 5.5

:Takomo:Takomo 101T 4 to PW KBS Tour regular

:wilson_staff_small:Wilson Staff 50 degree Gap

:vokey-small:Vokey SM9 54.12D Sand and all-around the green

:vokey-small:Vokey SM9 58.12D lob and sand

:nevercompromise-small: Voodoo

:maxfli:Maxfli TourX

Indoor practice today. Worked on full swing setup (using a wall mirror) and movement through the impact area with short swings, chipping (an AlmostGolf ball into a pillow) and putting - putting mirror for setup followed by the yard stick drill (took 18 tries to get 10). 

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Day 36 (17 Feb 24) - spent some time with the Divot Board late this afternoon…using the Edel 7i (waiting for the additional weights to come - want to see how dialable it can really be).

Haven’t had any swing practice since last week so I made it to the simulator this morning. Warmed up with the 48° wedge which was going pretty good at first, until I started overthinking things and hitting hooks.

Just to try something else I did the Trackman Combine test, 60-120yds was alright but after that was a bit of a mess. Ended scoring quite a bit worse than my last combine test in November. Not what I wanted to see, but something to keep working at.

Spent the next hour practicing putts with my blade putter this time. First started with an ascending putts challenge, trying to see how many putts you can make across the green with the ball going past your last. Still nowhere near the high score holders for this PuttView system, but getting into the double digits with some regularity. Finally, worked on ladder drill for a couple holes (6 putts from 2.5-9.5ft in a line), one uphill breaking right-to-left and one downhill breaking left-to-right, and all the alignment aides turned off. Managed to do both holes in just 8 putts, my previous best was 9.

Happy to seem some improvement in at least one part of my game, and promising results for the “Putting Thing” trainer I’ve been messing with at home. 

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5")
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

Putting day with my #1 coach 

IMG_2682.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

49 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Putting day with my #1 coach 

IMG_2682.jpeg

Looks like the pup wants you to stop putting and get a walk in!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Looks like the pup wants you to stop putting and get a walk in!

You know that look 😊

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Putting practice: worked on setup and aim today.

Full swing: setup and short swings through the impact area.

Chipping: Chipped foam ball with my 58* SW into a pillow. 

I have been itching to play golf lately. Here in Iowa, the weather has been up and down, but it is starting to change to slightly warmer temps. I went and hit into the net with my Hackmotion training aid and Rapsodo MLM2Pro launch monitor. I got to the school and realized that my launch monitor was dead, so it turned into a ball-striking practice session. 

My trail elbow in the backswing and at the top of the swing tends to get flared, so I primarily worked on keeping my right elbow tucked and making pure contact. Overall, it felt pretty good, just sad I couldn't see the ball flight. Now for the weather to change...

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

Day 37 (18 Feb 24) - More work with the Divot Board and 7i….kept swings to 1/2, it’s amazing how it forces good mechanics thru impact…

Edited by Willie T

10 hours ago, Willie T said:

Day 37 (28 Feb 24) - More work with the Divot Board and 7i….kept swings to 1/2, it’s amazing how it forces good mechanics thru impact…

I have found I make much better contact and hit the ball the same distance (if not farther) with a shorter back swing (think Tony Finau)…it kind of feels a little awkward at times, but it works for me (right now at least)!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

8 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I have found I make much better contact and hit the ball the same distance (if not farther) with a shorter back swing (think Tony Finau)…it kind of feels a little awkward at times, but it works for me (right now at least)!

Yup - it minimizes the amount of motion.  My son also loves to go 3/4 swing especially when it’s an off day.  Loss of yardage is minimal and confidence is off the charts….

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

After I finished my bucket I walked over to the chipping green and discovered I need a lot more work in my short game. I was either thinning everything or digging into the turf. I was getting pretty frustrated by the time I left. 

Jason, a good short game video is Michelson's Chipping 101.  My personal opinion, it's one of the better videos. From set up to the swing & illustrating making sure the clubhead never passes your hands, through the chip, which can cause those thin shots. 
Good Luck! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I still need to work on smoothing out my transition because I tend to get a bit quick which leads to all sorts of issues. 

I hit my first three shots with the driver right where you want to, almost dead center and sliced all of them in to the 9th fairway. I guess I also need to work on face control and/or path. We won't talk about the other two shots. 

If you are getting quick it’s a good sign you aren’t completing your backswing.

It could be what you are doing with your hands but it could be as much what you are doing with your arms and your rotation and pressure. If you are early extending then you have to work even harder with the hands. This is where golfers start addressing symptoms and not causes.

After I finished my bucket I walked over to the chipping green and discovered I need a lot more work in my short game. I was either thinning everything or digging into the turf. I was getting pretty frustrated by the time I left. 

To much movement and/or change in levels which can cause hands to pull on the club.

chip on just your front leg. Keep the top front of the toes with your back leg on the ground for balance. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Made my way up to the heated range on Saturday morning just to see some non-computer generated ball flight for the first time since October. I started off really strong but fell back into some bad habits by the end - I was tired as I haven't hit that many balls this winter.

Really been digging into my setup more as it relates to balance throughout the swing. Have made a couple of pretty interesting observations about what things I need to tweak in order to get where I need to be. Actually excited to get outside in a month or so and see what progress I may have made this offseason.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Working on putting since that is all I can really do.   Putting at home to work on startline and aim.    Putting at MGS as part of most wanted testing so I get to apply the startline and aim and work on putts up to 20 feet.    Having a tendency to get the upper body a little too active.  when I focus on good mechanics,  putts are rolling well.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG