What/How Did You Practice Today?

Golfspy_Lukes

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s always relative to center. 

The path change comes from incorrect pressure and incorrect movement patterns and the mind realizing the club is in a bad spot and has to force to body to move in order hit the ball. 

yes, alway relative to body.  Using feet as a reference for front and back is meaningless; that was my original point.  

I was referring to AoA varying because of an open or closed stance which will change path.  There are multiple things that can correctly change that will steepen or shallow a swing. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Reading these last two pages of chatter make me glad that I have a teacher. 🙂

It's really all relative - I feel as if I play the ball back when chipping but I really don't, its that I have a narrow slightly open stance, the ball is actually centered, but because my back foot is closer to the center of my body it looks back to my eye.  I'm sensing a lot of talking past one another in this thread because far too often there is no real reference point and weight distribution matters as well.  But what's 70 percent on the front side?  I don't know exactly how to measure that.  I do know that if I keep more weight on my left side when chipping than I do with my full shots or my pitches, I will hit the ball more solidly, it will come out lower and run out farther.  I know too that if I take more loft, widen the stance a bit, keep the weight forward and swing steeper that I will get more spin assuming I'm using the proper ball but I've worked all of that out through time and practice.  The nice thing about the short game is that it is very inexpensive to practice - keep a shaft bag, wedge and putter in the trunk is all. 🙂

• Like 4

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

48 minutes ago, revkev said:

Reading these last two pages of chatter make me glad that I have a teacher. 🙂

It's really all relative - I feel as if I play the ball back when chipping but I really don't, its that I have a narrow slightly open stance, the ball is actually centered, but because my back foot is closer to the center of my body it looks back to my eye.  I'm sensing a lot of talking past one another in this thread because far too often there is no real reference point and weight distribution matters as well.  But what's 70 percent on the front side?  I don't know exactly how to measure that.  I do know that if I keep more weight on my left side when chipping than I do with my full shots or my pitches, I will hit the ball more solidly, it will come out lower and run out farther.  I know too that if I take more loft, widen the stance a bit, keep the weight forward and swing steeper that I will get more spin assuming I'm using the proper ball but I've worked all of that out through time and practice.  The nice thing about the short game is that it is very inexpensive to practice - keep a shaft bag, wedge and putter in the trunk is all. 🙂

... Advanced plays can do just about anything concerning ball position, weigh distribution and using the bounce or not if they put in the practice and develop their own style. As I have stated before different conditions can call for different techniques. Bent grass with even and thick but predictable rough calls for something different than wiry Bermuda that can grab the club as well as grain into or down grain for both the strike and how far the ball roll. 

... But it is the average player that subconsciously or even consciously attempts to "lift" their chips and pitches that will really benefit from having their weight forward because you can't lean back and lift unless you shift your weight to your back foot. That is probably the #1 fault I see with chips/pitches. 

• Like 4

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Hybrids:    :taylormade-small: SIM2 Hybrid 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R hy
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-9 MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 46*/50*/58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :bobby-grace-1: 6330 LTD Edition ...  33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Advanced plays can do just about anything concerning ball position, weigh distribution and using the bounce or not if they put in the practice and develop their own style. As I have stated before different conditions can call for different techniques. Bent grass with even and thick but predictable rough calls for something different than wiry Bermuda that can grab the club as well as grain into or down grain for both the strike and how far the ball roll. 

... But it is the average player that subconsciously or even consciously attempts to "lift" their chips and pitches that will really benefit from having their weight forward because you can't lean back and lift unless you shift your weight to your back foot. That is probably the #1 fault I see with chips/pitches. 

True - I know that I developed an open stance because I like facing the target a bit, like shooting free throws - I've back towards a bit of an open stance and feet closer together when putting for that reason - I had become too mechanical - I'm much more focused on rolling the ball to the hole lately and it's really helping.  

• Like 3

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Speed work and range time after. Mostly working on longer clubs. Stopped hooking my 5i. Was awesome 

Worked on SG. My chipping lesson came back. Now having me work on being more upright  boy what a difference that makes let’s just say I am no longer considering a chipper. Some pitching work to about 40 yards. Did some variable distances on the range as well

Finally some putting work  I am becoming way more comfortable with my new stroke. One three ball sequence from 35 ft, L to R break. Lip out, sunk, high miss but within a foot. Happy learned how to putt and chip now  watch out everyone!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/2" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue  :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 115 in the MGS Speed Challenge

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Been having problems getting too handsy in my swing again that caused some problems in my last round so I've been working on just thinking "shoulder turn" and letting my hands and wrists set naturally. I hit a small bucket at lunch and things started out just dreadful. Couldn't hit my GW even. Sure enough, I took a step back and thought "turn the shoulders, that's it" made some practice swings, and things came right back to normal. Hit some half swings just to work on the shoulder turn back and through, then worked back up to full swings. I hope to get out for a round this weekend, we'll see how things go.

• Like 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

Had a really good session at the range yesterday. Went through a quickish warm up and then did 4 programs on Top Tracer. I know it isn't a perfect system, but it at least allows me to go through and feel like I'm working towards something. 

I am struggling a bit with the new irons. There are sessions where I'm making really good contact and others where well its everything off the toe and more toe and more toe strikes. I'm kinda caught in between to main swing feels and I need to either get a lesson or take some video and figure out which one I want to go to and stick with. 

The programs I ran were one 30 shot strokes gained challenge. It has X amount of drives, longer approach shots, short approach shots and more. I really like this as it is more similar to playing a real round.  The second program was a driving challenge. Put simply my distance gains me strokes my accuracy sucks the big one. Finally I ran 2 approach shot sessions which are closest to. Overall was pretty happy and I feel like I'm getting a really good idea for my distances. 

• Like 7

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Went through a quickish warm up and then did 4 programs on Top Tracer.

My range has Top Tracer as well.  Like you mentioned, it isn't perfect, but I do find some value in it during focused practice sessions. I haven't done that strokes gained challenge yet... I'll have to check that out.

• Like 4
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

Getting ready to head out to the course for our Men's Club Event... it is a scramble today so a good chance to do some course practice in a fun environment.  Next weekend is our Club Championship, so I will be trying to find my opportunities to groove my current swing between all the rain in the forecast over the next week in preparation for the tourney.

• Like 5
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

worked on chipping for 40 mins with my 54 from various rough types and fringe. Changed up ball position and chip distance with some ladder work. I feel way more comfortable now. 15-20 yards still gave me issues but 10 and in and 30+ was great. Holed about 3 chips and had a dozen within tap in range and 80% of the rest within 3-5 ft. 

• Like 5

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/2" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue  :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 115 in the MGS Speed Challenge

4 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

worked on chipping for 40 mins with my 54 from various rough types and fringe. Changed up ball position and chip distance with some ladder work. I feel way more comfortable now. 15-20 yards still gave me issues but 10 and in and 30+ was great. Holed about 3 chips and had a dozen within tap in range and 80% of the rest within 3-5 ft. 

That will get you into the 80's!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

After a great day yesterday we woke up this morning to my wife and my youngest both sick.  Today was spent at the house cleaning and taking care of the sickies. 

Roughly every hour I'd head to the basement and grab a different club for a dozen or so swings into the net.  Mostly though, I'd grab the Lagshot 7 iron.  Feels like it really is ingraining a solid tempo in me.  

Each time I'd spend about half my shots working on some aspect of my swing and half just swinging as hard as I can.  Something must be working!

479686588_IMG_20220905_2208391572.jpg.87eb293e48b4ff7d8fd7070aaeb2a9dd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

PXG 0211 3 wood and Tour Edge Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and SM8 60° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

I'm starting to really enjoy the top tracer practice. Feels so productive and a lot more fun. Of course it helps I'm trying to work on all parts so it makes me switch things up and have some tangible results along the way. 

The game is far from where it was ND where i want/need it to be but at least I'm seeing progress.

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-45-22-04_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-44-28-17_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-43-45-08_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-45-49-93_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

• Like 6

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

On 8/29/2022 at 4:58 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Had maybe my most consistent week ever - 81, 77, 80 & 80.

So of course, just when I thought I had the game figured out…

May need to trade up to the XL net size….

Actually, you just need to bring your net closer 🥴😂

im always amazed on YouTube when driving nets are unnecessary so far in front of the golfer, ideally you should be inside the net, or as close as possible whilst clearing any likely contact and the ball position should either be central or ball flight direction aimed to hit the centre of the net 

• Like 1

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder 

3 hours ago, Grasmere5 said:

Actually, you just need to bring your net closer 🥴😂

im always amazed on YouTube when driving nets are unnecessary so far in front of the golfer, ideally you should be inside the net, or as close as possible whilst clearing any likely contact and the ball position should either be central or ball flight direction aimed to hit the centre of the net 

Using a radar like a Mevo+ requires a minimum of 8 feet of flight from ball to target/net/screen to record spin, velocity, etc.  Great distance equals greater accuracy. If you want to see what the ball is doing you have to let it fly a bit…

• Like 2

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm starting to really enjoy the top tracer practice. Feels so productive and a lot more fun. Of course it helps I'm trying to work on all parts so it makes me switch things up and have some tangible results along the way. 

The game is far from where it was ND where i want/need it to be but at least I'm seeing progress.

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-45-22-04_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-44-28-17_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-43-45-08_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-06-08-45-49-93_00d6bc8bfbb0d0052532a8ef31e124f3.jpg

That would be so cool to have at a course. Would make practice super fun. Thanks for sharing 

• Like 3

My Reviews:

Worked on chipping from different angles and rough type again today. Really struggled chipping uphill to a short sided pin. Left everything just in the rough almost to the fringe. Hit a small bucket at the range. 1/4 of it was different shots with my longer clubs trying to work on face control. Then hit 12 or so drivers of a course i am gonna play in two weeks visualizing my drives and where i want to be. Finished with three 7 irons. Spent the last 20 or so mins on the putting green doing lag putting and rail road track visualization on lining up my putts. I realized i was way too far left in my aim and corrected that with that drill.

• Like 5

My Reviews:

It has been raining for what seems like weeks, which is what we needed. So first range session in awhile. Really working on getting more rotation through the ball. Only worked on pitching wedge and down, really trying to focus on making that part of my game better. Slowing my tempo down really helped me get my club in a better position on the downswing, and it helps me get my left knee and forward move to start my down swing. Slowly making progress, hopefully I will be able to get some more swings tomorrow. 

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Project X HZRDUS Small Batch Green w/PVD 60 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 15* Accra TZ RPG 362 M5

:taylormade-small: P 790 UDI 2 Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black 95 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW Project X 6.0

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 52.10 Mid, 56.10 Full Dynamic Gold TI Spinner

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Full Face 60.09 Dynamic Gold TI Spinner

:cleveland-small:  HB Soft Milled #4 UST ALL-IN 34.5”

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS w/ Triple Track

:Clicgear:  3.5+ Push Cart

:Arccos: Sensors w/ Caddie

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

7 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Worked on chipping from different angles and rough type again today. Really struggled chipping uphill to a short sided pin. Left everything just in the rough almost to the fringe.

How far away and what were you chipping with?  

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

How far away and what were you chipping with?  

8-10 yards and 54*

• Like 2

My Reviews: