Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How far does the average guy hit it?

hckymeyer

Found this article on Golf Digest and thought it was pretty interesting.  Obviously these aren't PGA numbers, or even internet golf forum numbers where everyone hits a 280yd 3i.  It's pretty eye opening though to see what the average yardages are for amateurs.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-far-do-average-golfers-really-hit-it-new-distance-data-will-surprise-you?mbid=social_facebook

data2.png

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen results of tests before that had very similar numbers.  I can tell you for my age (57) and Handicap (17) it's pretty spot on.  As short as 10 years ago I would have been about 30 yards longer than the chart lists.  I guess I'm not as short of knocker nowdays as i thought I was. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

They don't say what the sample size is, but it's all info from Game Golf so I would assume it's fairly accurate.  

They don't say what the sample size is, but it's all info from Game Golf so I would assume it's fairly accurate.  

yeah, I would think that would be a pretty big sample size then.  And as a lot of us know GPS is the real truth serum :)

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The yardages seem to be pretty accurate to what the USGA uses to establish course rating and slope.

The criteria for rating courses assumes a scratch male golfer hits a drive 250 yards and a second shot 220 yards, whereas the bogey golfer hits a drive 200 yards with a 170 yard second shot.  The landing areas at these yardages is where they consider the difficulty of the course.

For those that don't remember and for new members, I followed the WSGA course raters around two of my local courses last summer and asked a lot of questions.  You can read about it here:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17020-my-experience-with-the-wsga-course-rating-committee/

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Past me. :angry:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The sample size would be interesting to see. I'm well past my handicap range

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Actually these numbers seem a bit inflated by about 10 yards to me based on other studies that I've read.  However folks who invest in a product like game golf are more likely to be avid players and so they account for the over inflation of yardages even at differing handicap level.

I've recently tracked average drives when I've played and I'm a shade above 230 for the past 8 rounds.  I move up and down on either side of a 5 and I'm over 60 so this fits with my experience of being short for my handicap and long for my age relatively speaking. 

You might recall that I started a thread last year about the statistical differences between a scratch golfer and a touring pro.  The biggest statistical difference was average driving distance - mid 280's for the touring pro to mid 240's for the scratch guy. 

While it's getting better because of the advent of measuring devices people continually over estimate the distance that they hit the ball across the board.  I'm finally getting to where I don't so much any more - A miss hit 5 hybrid from 165 that is a tad past the hole is way better than a well struck 6 iron that comes up just short in the trap and even if I flush that hybrid its leaving a 45 foot down hill putt verses a ball plugged in the face.  Guess which one I'm getting up and down 75 % of the time.  :)

Thanks for the reminder - I'll step back now and watch the "I'm longer than my handicap's average" fly.  BTW I can testify that Mr. Theo is longer than the averages for his handicap.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am also short for my handicap, but longer than the average for my age.  I'd like to think that my short game has something to do with that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On a message board 340 ALL DAY LONG......with a baby cut.

In real life....

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I crush the ball and for all the rest. I got 1 word for ya lol

Tazz

https://youtu.be/46_kfl9JxoY

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I crush the ball and for all the rest. I got 1 word for ya lol

Tazz

https://youtu.be/46_kfl9JxoY

OMG - I actually watched that youtube video.

Those guys were HUGH.

If they did a long drive contest the 7 foot guy would be around 500 yards. I am lucky for a cartpath drive of 250 yds.

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

On a message board 340 ALL DAY LONG......with a baby cut.

In real life....

Where'd you get that pic of me???

I told them to delete that thing. :D

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Also I guess I'm long for age and handicap. (that guy). Not really worried if people believe me or not.

I also prolly only hit 3-8 drivers a round so it's really not that big of a deal.

I certainly believe our plus handicap guys. I think most guys think of their long drive when they give their "average."

They selectively forget the grounder, snap hook and 2 heeled drives that they hit per round. 260, 95, 200, 190, 190 add them up and you will see what the average is.

In the meantime I'm going 240, 220, 225, 235, 230. It doesnt look sexy but I can shoot even from 6400 yards at sea level with drives like that and 6400 is what a too level senior player should play from according to the FLGA.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm over my handicap by 12 yards and over my age by 7 yards according to my GolfPad stats.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm over my handicap by 12 yards and over my age by 7 yards according to my GolfPad stats.

You're a beast

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

According to the chart, Average players in my age and Cap categories hit it  231 and 220.  This seems a little short for me, but that would play into the type of game that I play...  Better than average driver + terrible wedge and putting. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I certainly believe our plus handicap guys. I think most guys think of their long drive when they give their "average."

They selectively forget the grounder, snap hook and 2 heeled drives that they hit per round. 260, 95, 200, 190, 190 add them up and you will see what the average is.

In the meantime I'm going 240, 220, 225, 235, 230. It doesnt look sexy but I can shoot even from 6400 yards at sea level with drives like that and 6400 is what a too level senior player should play from according to the FLGA.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think you nailed it Rev, it's so easy to forget that duck hook on 2 that went 180 and then the one that was bounced off the front of the tee box that went 130 on 8.  Guys will always go with the longest drive they've ever hit when asked how far they hit the driver.  

I'd like to think I'm longer than average (with the driver ;) ) than my handicap and age brackets, but I'm also thinking that's when I hit it well.  On the flip side forgetting the bad shots is something I consider a good thing!

Where'd you get that pic of me???

I told them to delete that thing. :D

I have my sources....I like the yellow ball as well.  Much easier to find in the middle of the forest.

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Also I guess I'm long for age and handicap. (that guy). Not really worried if people believe me or not.

I also prolly only hit 3-8 drivers a round so it's really not that big of a deal.

I am their with you.  I sure as heck hit it a lot longer than the yardage at my age group and handicap. 

WITB 2024

I don't what my handicap is... I fgure anywhere from 9 to 12. I'm 57 and I average 240 with the driver. There are days I can get 250 - 260 all day. I don't know where I fall on that chart. I've always been able to hit the driver fairly well. I only wish I could hit 300 yards. I may be shorter next season... I'm starting to feel my age...lol.

I'm probably right in line with this chart being in the 220-240 range.

I agree it's easy to focus on your best shots, especially when you are just starting or don't play seriously.

I remember my scores dropped like a rock when I finally got honest with myself about my distances with all my clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't what my handicap is... I fgure anywhere from 9 to 12. I'm 57 and I average 240 with the driver. There are days I can get 250 - 260 all day. I don't know where I fall on that chart. I've always been able to hit the driver fairly well. I only wish I could hit 300 yards. I may be shorter next season... I'm starting to feel my age...lol.

You young whippersnapper!!  Just wait.  When you get to be my age, you'll be able to hit just as far as I do.   :D

I'm probably right in line with this chart being in the 220-240 range.

I agree it's easy to focus on your best shots, especially when you are just starting or don't play seriously.

I remember my scores dropped like a rock when I finally got honest with myself about my distances with all my clubs.

Fairways are better than seeing how far you think you can whack the hell out of a ball

I'm probably in the average for my age with an occasional long one. I'm a big ole boy but due to some surgeries and bone breaks my flexibility sucks. There are a few old guys at my course who blow it by me.

You also have to figure in technique. A better golf swing with a positive smash factor will get it out there. The big old boys swinging hard wonder how some of the smaller players pound it past em. Smash factor with good technique is the ticket

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Based on all the people I play with, I think these numbers are a little low.  Heres the problem with averages using GPS....It takes a direct line, so it doesn't count doglegs.  We have a par 5 that is a 90* dogleg left.  GPS says the hole is only 360yds, so when I pipe one, GameGolf shows it as a 190yd drive.  Now, I can adjust that after I upload my round, but I don't because I'm lazy.  I'm an outlier though, because I've always hit the ball extremely long for a little guy.

Based on all the people I play with, I think these numbers are a little low.  Heres the problem with averages using GPS....It takes a direct line, so it doesn't count doglegs.  We have a par 5 that is a 90* dogleg left.  GPS says the hole is only 360yds, so when I pipe one, GameGolf shows it as a 190yd drive.  Now, I can adjust that after I upload my round, but I don't because I'm lazy.  I'm an outlier though, because I've always hit the ball extremely long for a little guy.

I am their with you.  I sure as heck hit it a lot longer than the yardage at my age group and handicap. 

I'm noticing a trend with the former baseball players  B)

We're the biggest exaggerators :lol: 

jk jk  

This is kinda splitting hairs, but ... in the GD article they refer to "median" which is a different measure (statistically) than "average". The article may have used the term interchangeably (like many people do) but .. fyi ..

* Median: is the number literally in the middle of a data set; ie. there are an equal number of data samples 'above' the median as the number of samples 'below' 
(think of the median in the middle of a divided multi-lane highway)

vs.

* Average: what we commonly understand; ie. add up all the numbers in the data set and divide that total by the count of the number of data points in the set
(and there may be a different number of samples 'above' the average value vs. the number of samples 'below' the average)

Often the median and the average may be arbitrarily close together but this one stat does not give you any info about "skewness" of the data set ... if you think of a "bell curve" graph with the apex of the curve indicating the median value (or, the average) and having the 'classic' bell shape then the data is "normally" distributed (no skew). But if you think of another graph where the curve leans out more to the right side of the median then would indicate that out of the samples 'above' the median a large portion of them tended towards the larger values in the set (positive skew). Similarly if the curve leaned out to the left more samples 'below' the median would be smaller (negative skew). 

The article didn't clarify what the percentage value of each data set was? So possibly it's the percent of players in each grouping whose median (or, average) drive was at the stated value. The lower percentage numbers - like for the highest handicap group or the youngest age group - indicate the distance numbers within that group are more spread out (ie. the bell curve is 'flatter' vs 'taller') and there are relatively more players at each distance value compared to a higher percentage group - eg. look at HCP 10-19 where almost 40% of the players hit their median drive about 215ish.

So intuitively this makes sense: the "worst" and the youngest players have drives all over the place....

Anyway, sorry guys for the math nerd ramble.....

* This is GREAT info and along the lines of what Rev said, I believe a good argument for many of us 'regular' golfers to Play It Forward :-) 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

This is kinda splitting hairs, but ... in the GD article they refer to "median" which is a different measure (statistically) than "average". The article may have used the term interchangeably (like many people do) but .. fyi ..

* Median: is the number literally in the middle of a data set; ie. there are an equal number of data samples 'above' the median as the number of samples 'below' 

(think of the median in the middle of a divided multi-lane highway)

vs.

* Average: what we commonly understand; ie. add up all the numbers in the data set and divide that total by the count of the number of data points in the set

(and there may be a different number of samples 'above' the average value vs. the number of samples 'below' the average)

Often the median and the average may be arbitrarily close together but this one stat does not give you any info about "skewness" of the data set ... if you think of a "bell curve" graph with the apex of the curve indicating the median value (or, the average) and having the 'classic' bell shape then the data is "normally" distributed (no skew). But if you think of another graph where the curve leans out more to the right side of the median then would indicate that out of the samples 'above' the median a large portion of them tended towards the larger values in the set (positive skew). Similarly if the curve leaned out to the left more samples 'below' the median would be smaller (negative skew). 

The article didn't clarify what the percentage value of each data set was? So possibly it's the percent of players in each grouping whose median (or, average) drive was at the stated value. The lower percentage numbers - like for the highest handicap group or the youngest age group - indicate the distance numbers within that group are more spread out (ie. the bell curve is 'flatter' vs 'taller') and there are relatively more players at each distance value compared to a higher percentage group - eg. look at HCP 10-19 where almost 40% of the players hit their median drive about 215ish.

So intuitively this makes sense: the "worst" and the youngest players have drives all over the place....

Anyway, sorry guys for the math nerd ramble.....

* This is GREAT info and along the lines of what Rev said, I believe a good argument for many of us 'regular' golfers to Play It Forward :-) 

There you guys go AGAIN with the science......

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived