Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Handicaps

jamo

Is there anyway that a poster's handicap could be shown under their avatar. Not to be rude, but if someone posted a video of their swing (another suggestion) they would take the critiques of a scratch golfers for more worth than those of a 25 handicapper.

• SPY VIP

Not a bad idea...we will be doing some updates after everything settles a little and we will definitely look into seeing if this is possible.

Is there anyway that a poster's handicap could be shown under their avatar. Not to be rude, but if someone posted a video of their swing (another suggestion) they would take the critiques of a scratch golfers for more worth than those of a 25 handicapper.

#TruthDigest

Well in that case, I'm a +2.4 index!!! ;) (...the moral being that anyone can lie about one's handicap and come across as enough of an "expert" if one does sufficient research)

But seriously, as a golfer who struggles to score in the 80s, I pledge to NOT critique anyone's swings. At most, you'll probably see from me a "nice looking swing" comment.

I just want to basically hang out here and have a good time - plus hopefully learn a thing or two along the way. If I can impart some knowledge by posting informative articles/videos, that would be a pleasure for me.

Being "civil" and "laid back" are my personal mottos when it comes to moderating, posting and replying to posts. I think MGS will truly be an awesome place if everyone tries to take a similar approach.

What I've written probably goes beyond the scope of what jamo was originally looking for, but possibly still important enough for all to take to heart.

Well in that case, I'm a +2.4 index!!! B) (...the moral being that anyone can lie about one's handicap and come across as enough of an "expert" if one does sufficient research)

Yeah, that certainly comes in to play. On another forum, they are trying to get a site-wide tourny going, and it would be interesting just to see whether everyone's handicap's hold, haha.

Basically, everything on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I think people are smart enough to police themselves.

So, i guess we agree. :P

There is a Fitter at my local shop that has been working there for over 25 years. He is probably one of the best club fitters on the West Coast. If you played golf with this guy, or saw him on a driving range, you would think that he was a plumber, or a delivery truck driver. This expert fitter, whom I trust implicitly, can't break 90 from the whites at any course... ever. I will never buy irons or wood with out getting fit from my guy. Being a player does not make you an expert fitter, and vice versa.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

We have added this for you guys.

Now you can go edit your profile and there is now a field for "Handicap" if you post one it will now display under your Avatar.

Great suggestion ;)

#TruthDigest

added mine... I wasn't sure it would let me post numbers that high but it did... ;)

good feature...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

We made sure to aloow it to go to 100 mudfish ;)

added mine... I wasn't sure it would let me post numbers that high but it did... :blink:

good feature...

#TruthDigest

There is a Fitter at my local shop that has been working there for over 25 years. He is probably one of the best club fitters on the West Coast. If you played golf with this guy, or saw him on a driving range, you would think that he was a plumber, or a delivery truck driver. This expert fitter, whom I trust implicitly, can't break 90 from the whites at any course... ever. I will never buy irons or wood with out getting fit from my guy. Being a player does not make you an expert fitter, and vice versa.

Funny you brought PLUMBERS into this conversation, but I'm a plumber and have been for over 30 years.... and guess what I can play golf and fit someone as well..... so I must be pretty special. LOL.I've been playing golf since my late 20's and started as a 12-15 handicap and have been as low as a 2. You can learn all types of things from people in this crazy game, but one of the most important things you can learn is to have fun! Not too many posters here are getting paid playing this game on the PGA Tour so my opinion is we all can learn something New everyday from all walks of life. Just because you may not be a single digit or a PLUS handicap doesn't mean you can't have a passion for this game. I have a passion to learn as much as I can about this great game of GOLF, that's why I'm here! Hell people can believe what ever they want when it comes to someones handicap posted here, but I'm not here to boost my ego that's for sure. I want to meet people who love the BEST GAME EVER....GOLF!!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Funny you brought PLUMBERS into this conversation, but I'm a plumber and have been for over 30 years.... and guess what I can play golf and fit someone as well..... so I must be pretty special. LOL.I've been playing golf since my late 20's and started as a 12-15 handicap and have been as low as a 2. You can learn all types of things from people in this crazy game, but one of the most important things you can learn is to have fun! Not too many posters here are getting paid playing this game on the PGA Tour so my opinion is we all can learn something New everyday from all walks of life. Just because you may not be a single digit or a PLUS handicap doesn't mean you can't have a passion for this game. I have a passion to learn as much as I can about this great game of GOLF, that's why I'm here! Hell people can believe what ever they want when it comes to someones handicap posted here, but I'm not here to boost my ego that's for sure. I want to meet people who love the BEST GAME EVER....GOLF!!

First of all, props to MGS for being so responsive and adding a nice feature so quickly.

I'm posting more because I wanted to +1 Tim's point that you can learn something about golf from just about everyone. When I play with someone (whether I know them or not), I like to hear what they have to say regardless of whether or not they are any good. Do I want to listen to them critique every swing for 18 holes? No. But I think everyone knows something, and if I can get enough of those somethings, I'll end up being pretty smart.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Sorry if it came across like I think that all plumbers can't play golf. Not my intention at all. I think that we are trying to get at the same point. You do not have to be a great player to be extremely knowledgeable about aspects of the game. Myself for example. I am a mediocre 9 HDCP, but have been as low as a 1.4 when I played. But I am a +5 fitter.. You don't have to be good at something to know a lot about it.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived