BDubya23

Lessons vs No Lessons

To me, it's no different than getting fit for your clubs. If you have the extra income that allows you to take lessons/get fit.... go for it! I would!

I've taken a couple of lessons from the part time pro at my home course. He is PGA certified, but he's a full time school teacher. He took me out on the course and worked with me on the things I wanted to improve... ball striking and putting. He helped me a lot. I'm still not very good at putting, and only a "decent" ball striker, but it was worth it. I wish I could afford to take more lessons, but it just isn't in the cards for me at this time.

• Like 3

I would agree that lessons early on can be a very good thing. Beating balls for any length of time with the wrong ideas and concepts can and does reinforce bad habits or wrong moves that are twice as hard to overcome than if they had been avioded all together.

Its quite easy groove a 'good swing' with bad moves, until it all comes apart or has to be redone when that handicap gets stuck way above what is possible. And truthfully this is what we see on tour from even the best as one day its sugar, the next day s--t.

Agreed.

Practice does not make perfect it makes permanent.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If we all followed Arnie's rule. "Swing YOUR swing" and work on that. As long as there's no big issues. As long as your having fun. As soon as I started trying to "improve" my swing it became more like a job than something fun. But I still try to improve. It's human nature to want to be good at things.

As. As. As... geesh...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

First lesson from my dad at age 8. (61 now)

Assume athletic position, like a shortstop

Address ball with a slight forward press

Low and slow backswing

MAIN SWING POINT NEXT...!

Keep weight on right instep and load up on backswing

Hit the back of the ball with the front of the club

So many years later I've taken a few lessons here and there with very limited results.

The only "new" thing to stick that has really helped to keep the face closed on the backswing.

That is probably the only thing that's actually helped.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: This post may qualify as a bunch of ramblings  ;)

Lessons have helped me immensely and I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have before. It has been fairly costly, but my swing was so fundamentally flawed and my knowledge and understanding of it so limited, that I was never going to get any better - and I had tried! For someone like myself or a beginner, I think lessons are a no-brainer and almost a must. In such cases the overhaul or a specific swing philosophy is probably needed. but for others (like some of the commenters here) who are low handicaps, what is needed can be drastically different. The last thing i would want now, is to start over with a completely new theory/philosophy and I'm not a low handicapper yet. It just takes a ton of work! Whatever my ceiling is with the track I'm on now, is going to be my ceiling. 

When an instructor wants to make every golfer adhere to his swing philosophy, I think he/she may be missing the mark in not knowing/caring what the golfer actually wants out of his game. Certainly any scratch player is going to need a very compelling reason to make drastic changes and any good instructor should carefully weigh what instruction is given to someone at that skill level. On the flip-side, if the golfer (like me) says the goal is to get to scratch, but my fundamentally flawed hack attack (I wouldn't call it a swing :P ) was never going to have a high-enough ceiling to allow me to get there, so I had to be willing to make drastic changes and to put in the work - lots of it! Probably more work than most beginners, because I had to undo the years of bad habits. I think lessons for someone who has the swing they want/need, then any instructing should be about tweaking and understanding nuances, not a major philosophy shift and overhaul.

One more thing, in my work (financial advisor) I've had to realize and accept/embrace that I may not be a good fit for every potential client. Things like communication style, personality, and experience (among other things) can all make us better suited two work with certain types of people and/or companies. I think golf instruction is no different. We may have a hard time "hearing" what one instructor is saying (or him understanding what I want) while we almost immediately "get" what another instructor might say, even if they're trying to convey the exact same concept. All these things can factor in, and like so many other things in life, it comes back to relationships, comfort level and trust. If those aren't present, I'm not going to be willing to commit to a whole pile of work for something that I'm not sold on.

• Like 3

Low and slow backswing

So many years later I've taken a few lessons here and there with very limited results.

The only "new" thing to stick that has really helped to keep the face closed on the backswing.

what does keep face closed on backswing help with? And yes I'm picking straws here for any free tips I can get.Instead of Girls Gone Wild,I'm in theGolfer Guys Confused and Lost crowd
  • Like 3

I took lessons throughout high school and found lessons were generally helpful but had some very negative experiences on occasions. My senior year I was golfing poorly (I mean shooting 90+ when I had been a single digit handicap the previous year). So I went back to my pro and became concerned because he changed his whole method of teaching and was talking like a philosopher. Turns out he had gone to Milwaukee and taken 10+ hours of teaching from top 100 pro Manuel De La Torre.

On a Sunday, I went to take a lesson because things were seeming particularly grim concerning my golf game. One of the reasons my golf game was in trouble was due to this same professional from a lesson earlier in the season. I thought if he can cause the problem, he can fix it. The hour and fifteen minutes of that lesson was mind bending to say the least. He tought me the method of swinging the entire club back with the hands and through with the arms. Never once was weight transfer, rotation, or hips ever mentioned.

The next day I had a tournament and went from a 94 at my last tournament to shooting a 74 and winning. It's been seven years since that lesson and have never gone back to the "body based" or "technical" swing thought.

Manuel De La Torre teaches the "club based" swing. If you feel like your in a constant "rut" or "cycle" of fixing swing issues, I encourage you to seek out a pro that teaches the "club based" swing. The technical approach works for some people and that is fine, but if you're not getting good results, it won't hurt looking at a different method. There are some wonderful videos of Manuel de la Torre on YouTube giving a clinic if you want to learn about his method.

• Like 6

That is a heck of first post ^^.Its always best to just jump in feet first my pappy said. You sure did

Nice

• Like 2

what does keep face closed on backswing help with? And yes I'm picking straws here for any free tips I can get.Instead of Girls Gone Wild,I'm in theGolfer Guys Confused and Lost crowd

I'm not sure technically what it does, I just hit the ball more crisply.

I would just say try it. If it helps you, then that's good.

• Like 1

To me, it's no different than getting fit for your clubs. If you have the extra income that allows you to take lessons/get fit.... go for it! I would!

I've taken a couple of lessons from the part time pro at my home course. He is PGA certified, but he's a full time school teacher. He took me out on the course and worked with me on the things I wanted to improve... ball striking and putting. He helped me a lot. I'm still not very good at putting, and only a "decent" ball striker, but it was worth it. I wish I could afford to take more lessons, but it just isn't in the cards for me at this time.

Agreed. Circumstances are different and if you have the means, fitting and lessons will help. Even if lessons consist of 1-4x a year for a check up.

Do your research and get feedback on instructors. Good ones can be a huge impact on your game and well worth the money.

• Like 2

Agreed. Circumstances are different and if you have the means, fitting and lessons will help. Even if lessons consist of 1-4x a year for a check up.

Do your research and get feedback on instructors. Good ones can be a huge impact on your game and well worth the money.

• Like 1

I did 2 sets of junior lessons growing up, which definitely helped promote good swing habits. That and a lot of practice around the house. Fast forward 25 - 30 years and I had some lessons again with one of my local pros. I saw some inconsistencies in my game and overall just wasn't happy where I was. It was probably the best thing I have done for my game. Small changes at first but those have paid off huge. Started my lessons at a 18 - 19 handicap, now down to a 12.6. 1 year after my first session, and still trending down. Will go back if I have other issues or when I hit another plateau. Best time and money I ever spent. Enjoying the game much more now.

Sent from my SM-T700 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just made my second training device. An impact bag.... makes the world of difference. And thanks to a MGS review of the DST and Mr. jlukes I will be getting one to work on impact position. Used the impact bag today for a few hundred swings, took my swing to the back yard and whammy. Pure. Effortless. Swing. Maybe there is something to those lessons. Even if you self teach.

Edit: I don't think I was flipping, but it puts the whole legs, torso, shoulders, arms thing in perspective.

Low and slow backswing

Sounds like Hogan..

While browsing the thread about people not getting custom fitted, it got me thinking about how many people have had lessons. For those of you who have never had lessons, how long have you been playing and what is your typical score? Are you satisfied with it? Do you plan on getting lessons in the future?

I had lessons when I first took up golfing, I feel like it's a great place to start before too many bad habits get ingrained within your swing.

So, what's your story?

By the way, really good thread you've started

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

By the way, really good thread you've started

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks! I've just been curious because a few guys I play with have never had lessons. I think one reason being because we're from such a small town, we'd have to travel a little ways to find an instructor.

I didn't start out with lessons when I took up the game some 25 years ago. I just played with my dad and brother and it wasn't pretty. I only played occasionally until around 2002 when I moved to Hawaii. I did have some bad habit but I got lessons it was about 10 to 15 lessons over the course of a few years. I was lucky because the instructor wasn't technical he took what I had made a few adjustments and had me key in on a few swing thoughts and boom my scores began to go down. Before the lessons I had a very flat swing but the instructor got me where I needed to be and it has stuck ever since. My lowest score up until this year was a 78 in Jakarta with a caddie. If I could have a local caddie with me every round I would take that every time. During my Ping fitting I got some free help from a prominent coach from the Gulf Coast and wow what a difference. Another slight adjustment was made during a driver fitting with a Titleist/Callaway Rep local pro here where I live. It was just a slight grip change but it has allowed me to just swing the club and square the club face without any excess hand rotation. These two changes have induced the beautiful 5 yard draw that I can now count on. So I think the right instructor can help immensely. The beautiful thing about the golf swing is that no one is the same. A teacher should help you with your swing not try to teach you A robot swing. Before getting a teacher ask them straight up their philosophy.

• Like 2

I was stubborn for 15 years and was convinced I could just teach myself everything. Took my first set of lessons 3 months ago, 6 1 hour sessions. I dropped 6 strokes of my game and had a great understanding of what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. Spent who knows what on clubs through the years to see little improvement, $500 for the lessons was well worth it. Will definitely go back soon to get to that next level. I would recommend lessons to everyone from the 40 HCP to the scratch player.

• Like 2

I was stubborn for 15 years and was convinced I could just teach myself everything. Took my first set of lessons 3 months ago, 6 1 hour sessions. I dropped 6 strokes of my game and had a great understanding of what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. Spent who knows what on clubs through the years to see little improvement, $500 for the lessons was well worth it. Will definitely go back soon to get to that next level. I would recommend lessons to everyone from the 40 HCP to the scratch player.

You mentioned you shaved off six strokes after lessons. Was there any part of your game in particular that these strokes came from or was it just an all around game improver?

• Like 1