Looks Like Dumping TaylorMade Is Working for adidas

Our Sponsors

It appears dumping Taylormade was just what the doctor ordered for adidas. They're growing and taking a BIG chunk out of key competitors Nike and Under Armour in North America...

• Like 5

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

From Bloomberg....

Even Adidas AG can stumble sometimes as it gains ground on sporting-goods market leader Nike Inc.

The German company's growth slowed faster than analysts expected in the third quarter, sending the shares to their steepest drop in 12 weeks. Sales of basketball and soccer gear fell after sponsorship contracts ended and the company stepped up plans to trim its store network in Russia after business declined there.

“Some market participants might be concerned by the slower top-line momentum,” Warburg Research analyst Joerg Philipp Frey said in a note. The shares traded as much as 3.8 percent lower in Frankfurt, the biggest intraday drop since August.

While overall revenue still advanced by 8.7 percent, that was less than half the pace of the second quarter. Operating profit rose by more than one-third to 795 million euros ($923 million), beating analyst expectations, as the company sold more expensive products. Revenue in North America grew by nearly one-fifth to 1.1 billion euros, an all-time high, while growth slowed in western Europe, still the company's biggest market.

“So far we have grown every quarter this year with 30 percent-plus in the U.S., and we are not seeing any slowdown,” Chief Executive Officer Kasper Rorsted said in an interview with Bloomberg TV. “We continue to see very, very strong demand for our products, and we continue to expect a very strong fourth quarter. It's clear we are gaining market share in the U.S.”

The sporting-goods industry this year has been a tale of divergence. Under Armour Inc. posted its first sales decline since it went public last month, while Puma SE, like Adidas, is benefiting from a trend toward more sportswear worn outside of gyms, prompting it to lift its profit forecast three times this year. Amazon.com Inc. is also moving into private-label sportswear, setting the stage for further upheaval in the U.S., where Adidas's Reebok brand is already struggling to turn a profit.

‘Big Enough'

“Overall the market is big enough also for an Amazon moving into this market,” Rorsted said in the interview. “We think that will not change the market fundamentally, but we are seeing the consumers going online.”

Revenue generated from electronic commerce advanced by more than one-third in the quarter, the company said. While sales of Adidas-brand products jumped 10 percent, those of Reebok declined, and Rorsted said it may take until next year for the brand to grow again.

“The rate of revenue and earnings growth is likely to moderate after two and a half years of super-cycle,” Piral Dadhania, an analyst at RBC Europe, wrote in a note. “We believe the quality of the margin and profit beat should be well-received by the market.”

Japan and Russia were the only regions where the company's revenue fell in the quarter. Rorsted stepped up efforts to stem that trend by closing about 200 stores in Russia, up from an earlier target of 150. He said he doesn't expect fundamentals in Russia to improve much before oil prices rise and sanctions are lifted. By contrast, the company plans to add about 2,000 stores in China by 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-09/adidas-outruns-nike-even-as-third-quarter-revenue-growth-slows?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I realize this is news in the Golf World so it belongs here but I have big problems with Adidas right now due to issues in another sport.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I realize this is news in the Golf World so it belongs here but I have big problems with Adidas right now due to issues in another sport.

Same here.....same issue.....will not be purchasing any adidas in the future.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Umm... What issues?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Umm... What issues?

I think it's this one:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/adidas-executive-college-basketball-bribery-scandal-2017-9

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

That stuff is unavoidable. Been happening since the UNLV glory days when I lived in Vegas. They're getting them before HS, the entire AAU program is just a shopping ground for Nike, Adidas, etc. to find their next big endorsement.

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 65S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

Yes - that's the issue - I'm out on Adidas for that reason and yes yungkory you are most likely correct. But murder has been going on since Cain and Able - it wasn't right then and it isn't now.

Same with this.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Thanks for the info- good thing they dumped TM- now I can buy the equipment without conflict of conscience.

FTR- I agree with Rev & Foz.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Lol if you're boycotting Adidas you need to pretty much boycott every single sporting goods company.

College athletics is a complete sham

• Like 6

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Getting back to the origins of the thread, dumping TaylorMade was a great move. Adidas is on fire right now and making Nike look like your father's sportswear.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus VA Composites VYLYN 55 Four

Taylormade SIM 3 Wood Project X Riptide 60 Stiff

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood

PXG 0211 4-Gap True Temper Elevate Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* 58* AWT 2.0 Wedge

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

... I would not want to be a golf equipment OEM today. Product cycles are killing retail stores as well as the OEM's themselves. $ year cycle was great but even a 2 year cycle is doable. An every year or twice a year cycle is insane. When I was interviewing an OEM at their plant, they had 4 years of product in their cue. Names, designs, everything and admittedly 2 of those years were just tweaks of the existing design. It wasn't until year 3 that they had a technical improvement that they were still working on. 

... One of the big culprits was the Golf Magazine ratings. Worldwide if they don't have a new product and it isn't rated in the top 2 categories, they lose a ton of business. They tried it one year and took a big financial hit. Crazy how they killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People can blame TM, but if they didn't do it, another OEM would have. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

I'm all set with Addias...the basketball shoe issue, paying college kids to go to schools with their contract just soured me.  I value ethics in business.

Footjoy shoes and Under Armour shirts work just fine.

Jim, the retired GC Super

Lol if you're boycotting Adidas you need to pretty much boycott every single sporting goods company.

College athletics is a complete sham

So true -

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5