perseveringgolfer

adding weight to a Ping Anser -properly?

Loving my old Ping Anser, but it sometimes feels a bit light especially in windy conditions, plus theres more wind coming into winter!

I'd like to add weight to it but not ruin its clean lines and looks. Never done this before, any advice?

Not to threadjack, but man oh man, the lighter the putter is, the better for me honestly.  I have a Ping B60 that I've putted with for about 15 years that is pretty light.  I was small talking about putters with the pro yesterday in the pro shop, and he pulls out a newer model B60 and I thought my arms were gonna fall off it was so much heavier than mine.  I took a couple of strokes with that thing and said, "whoa, that's heavy," and handed it back to him.  I've tried putting with heavier putters from time to time, and it just doesn't fit my stroke at all.

So I stuck a very light TaylorMade Spider putter in my bag last week and that feels pretty comfortable to me.

Again, sorry to threadjack, but the mention of adding weight to a putter just got me thinking all about the above.

• Like 1

Lead tape on the bottom (can't see when putting), or tungsten power down the shaft.  I believe that Ping and others can add tungsten plugs, but that cost can be pretty high for an Ping anser.  i would buy another putter before I do that.

• Like 2

Lead tape on the bottom (can see when putting), or tungsten power down the shaft.  I believe that Ping and others can add tungsten plugs, but that cost can be pretty high for an Ping anser.  i would buy another putter before I do that.

One of the issues with an early Anser with adding weight down the shaft is a lot of those putters the shaft is swedged in. In other words when it was made the shaft was heated and a steel ball was drove down the shaft to expand it and lock it in. They are a real PITA to reshaft too. I could do a thread on that by itself. IMHO the only solution is to add lead tape on the sole. Now if it has a slot it will deaden the sound and lessen the rebound off the face in other words it will deaden the face some.

• Like 1

How is that working out for you? I added lead tape to the bottom of one of my putters but did the entire sole not just part of it. Has it performed any different other than feeling heavier?

Sent from my LGUS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app