Sign in to follow this  
Golfspy_CG2

Shoot Even Par for the Season On the PGA Tour..Where Would You Rank?

A buddy of mine is a former PGA Tour Caddie and current Sport Writer.   He and some other caddies started this site that has a lot of great content. The Caddie Network, a lot of inside info from caddies that you may find interesting. 

Here's one piece that I thought was particularly interesting.

https://www.thecaddienetwork.com/what-was-even-par-worth-on-the-pga-tour-in-the-2017-18-regular-season-for-player-and-caddie/

This is a fun read,  that if a player shot even par on the tournaments he was qualified to enter for  a full season, where do you think he'd finish on the money list.   It'd be interesting to see everyone post their guess before reading the article. 

• Like 3

DFL or close to it would be my guess.

A buddy of mine is a former PGA Tour Caddie and current Sport Writer.   He and some other caddies started this site that has a lot of great content. The Caddie Network, a lot of inside info from caddies that you may find interesting. 
Here's one piece that I thought was particularly interesting.
https://www.thecaddienetwork.com/what-was-even-par-worth-on-the-pga-tour-in-the-2017-18-regular-season-for-player-and-caddie/
This is a fun read,  that if a player shot even par on the tournaments he was qualified to enter for  a full season, where do you think he'd finish on the money list.   It'd be interesting to see everyone post their guess before reading the article. 

Haven’t read the article but I have seen comparisons like this before and I think even par would get the player just inside the top 125. I think the majors help out a lot with regards to money

Haven’t read the article but I have seen comparisons like this before and I think even par would get the player just inside the top 125. I think the majors help out a lot with regards to money

Well if you read the piece. You will read he only played tournaments he was eligible for as a full time member of the tour.

So he would have to go to qualifying for the US Open and British Open. You can probably guess how even par fsred in those. And well yeah. He watched the Masters from his couch like all of us.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 1

Not very high according to the great Lee Trevino....  "Two things that don't last long are dogs that chase cars and PGA pro's who putt for pars".  

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Still made a decent living playing golf I’d take it in a heartbeat lol

Me too.  Plus I just recently learned of the PGA's very nice pension plan. Have a gander at this article.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golden-retirements-pga-tour-pros-get-a-gift-that-keeps-giving

Please God, if I get another go at this, let me be a competitive PGA Tour pro.  Brings Dire Straits "Get your money for nothing and your golf for free" to mind. 😀

• Like 1

Still made a decent living playing golf I’d take it in a heartbeat lol

For 1 year he played with the big boys. But that’s it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Just now, RoverRick said:

For 1 year he played with the big boys. But that’s it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Still better than no years

The one thing about this that did not surprise me was how the season brokedown for Mr. Par. Those early season events are absolute birdie fests and even at most of them equals cutsville. It's interesting to actually see that play out because I assume most of the bigger names prefer that because they feel like they're playing some solid golf during those weeks which sets them up with confidence going into the tougher portions of the schedule.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bergtaur said:

The one thing about this that did not surprise me was how the season brokedown for Mr. Par. Those early season events are absolute birdie fests and even at most of them equals cutsville. It's interesting to actually see that play out because I assume most of the bigger names prefer that because they feel like they're playing some solid golf during those weeks which sets them up with confidence going into the tougher portions of the schedule.

Pretty insightful thought there Berg!! 

Just now, GolfSpy Rob said:

Pretty insightful thought there Berg!! 

Well, just thinking logistically. If I was a guy with a long lay-off who was going to play an early season event and maybe breaking in new equipment, I'm not going to be 100%. Plus, a lot of those early season events have that pro-am component too, so they aren't tricking up the courses as much as they could. Also, shows the teeth in those Florida courses that Par can get it done to a good extent there. An interesting thought experiment for sure.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bergtaur said:

Also, shows the teeth in those Florida courses that Par can get it done to a good extent there. 

The harder Florida courses all have the same component to them - H2O.  Same deal as the Ryder Cup.  Put up a few water hazards and watch the pros fill them up.

It's always amazed me how a little 135 yard par 3 can make so many pros look horribly bad.  The 17th at Sawgrass I am talking about.  If I played that hole I'd aim right at the middle of the green all 4 days and take my two putts and walk off with 4 pars.  It's the guys that always have to aim at the pin that purely astonishes me.  Just run the numbers of how many birdies you get by aiming at that flag, versus sticking it in the middle of that green.  I bet your scoring average goes down aiming at the middle of that green.