Worst equipment mistakes you've made

tony@CIC

My singular greatest equipment blunder happened about 15 years ago.  I wasn't playing much, due to a serious priority mixup....my child is not more important than golf....nothing is....well, maybe eating and s...., well you get the idea.  I had a few clubs just sitting around and was asked if I could donate some to a charity that was using golf to reach kids.  I decided why not!  So, I gave away all of my old clubs, save my Ping Eye2+ irons, my Ping i25 irons, hybrids, and woods.  Then I got back to playing regularly....daughter got older and didn't need me as much, my wife is always more than willing to let me play golf or get lost or....hmmm, maybe that isn't a good thing.  Anyhow, I gave away my Dunlop Goliath driver and 3 wood.  They were purchased at Walmart for $30 each.  I really loved those clubs.  The 3 wood was a serious fairway finder, and the driver was very long for me.  I have struggled with every driver since.  I have spent way too much money trying to duplicate that feeling.  My new-to-me Cobra F8 driver is the closest I have ever come.  With the stiff shaft installed it has become a weapon.  Not giving that thing up!  I do still miss those old Dunlops, probably wouldn't like them as much now, but nostalgia being what it is, I wish I had never gotten rid of them.  Hope the kids enjoyed them.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

Probably buying clubs off eBay, or anywhere online without seeing them first blindly as the pictures looked good   but then finding that no pictures of the much bag-rub were shown in pictures,or even mentioned

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 8:31 AM, tony@CIC said:

Ok spies, time to come clean - what are the worst mistakes you've made in buying equipment? 

Got fitted for a driver and made the mistake of blindly trusting the guy fitting me, i had been fitted at the same place for my irons in the past and they turned out great (thanks Curtis).  Anyway, this new guy only set me up in Stealth 2s (different heads and different shafts), but no Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra, or anything...come to find out Taylormade reps were on site while I was fitting pitching the new Qi10...I imagine this "club fitter" was pushing to Taylormade to everyone that day.  I ended up purchasing a Stealth 2 with an XS shaft, and I cannot hit the damn thing straight.  It is basically a headcover holder in my bag...

Stealth 2 Driver

Stealth 2 3 Wood

Callaway X Forged 2 Iron

Callaway APEX 4- PW Irons

Callaway Jaws 50* & 56* Wedges

Scotty Cameron Putters (working on a beginner collection)

I bought a new set of clubs this past spring that I didn't want by mid-summer.

It was a catastrophically expensive mistake, but it converted me from blind, on-line buying to fitting.
Penny wise and pound foolish.

It's late in the game for me, however.  I've been playing an awful long time to figure this out at my age.

Do golf balls count as equipment?  If so, here we go.....

My golfing life began with me using the cheapest golf balls I could find, so their loss wouldn't hurt my feelings.  As the years have passed I have stayed near the bottom of the barrel.  Lately, I have been playing Callaway Supersoft.  I like them.  They perform pretty well for me.  Including a hole-in-one and an eagle on a par 4.  I have shot my lowest round at my club with them.  However, I long to be able to play the "fancy" balls that everyone says are so great.  

Here comes the regret.  Recently I have purchased ProV1s, AVXs, PXGs, and others over the years.  I can't seem to stop them.  I know everyone else can....but, not me.  I usually excel around the greens, unless I use the expensive buggers.  I have spent way too much trying to "elevate my game with a premium ball" only to be disappointed every single time.  You would think I would learn.  I keep thinking that a premium ball would help me to "cross the line", but no.  I am developing a deep seeded hatred for the part of my brain that has the FOMO on a ball that will be better than what I am playing.  I don't want to do it anymore...ever...again.  Oh look, PGA tour superstore has golf balls on sale........

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker