Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Worst equipment mistakes you've made

tony@CIC

Dang, I just realized this thread in now 4 year old... and see Jason has two mistakes .  I guess my biggest mistake was not insisting that I switch from steel to graphite shafts when I had my first ever fitting in Bozeman, MT, buying the G425's to replace my PE2's.  The fitter simply didn't have many non-steel options and the stock PING shafts did not fit me well. 
I played the G425's/AWT shafts for about a year before my elbow and shoulder called me to the side one day and said "we're done... either switch to graphite shafts or start taking up bocce ball" .
I'm making this switch this year. My elbows aren't happy anymore, and my hands will start soon.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

9 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I'm making this switch this year. My elbows aren't happy anymore, and my hands will start soon.

The technology has made the switch seamless for the vast majority.  In my case, I had no loss is ball speed and a modest improvement in dispersion.  But the joint relief was simply amazing.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The technology has made the switch seamless for the vast majority.  In my case, I had no loss is ball speed and a modest improvement in dispersion.  But the joint relief was simply amazing.
The more I read and watch about graphite iron shafts, the more I wonder why everyone aren't playing them. Easier on the joints, better dispersion, tighter manufacturing tolerances, etc. Plus, you can get lighter shafts and still get the swing weight while not being s tired at the end of the round.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Years ago I asked by wife to buy me a Taylormade driver with the bubble shaft for my birthday.  I had not even hit one before she gave it to me.  It lasted about 6 rounds before I traded in for a driver that I was fit for. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Worst mistake was the purchase of a set of Hippo Wedges. The bounce was waaay off and I struggled mightily with them. I love my new Snake Eyes 60' wedge with 8' of bounce.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade R15, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Heat II Single Length Irons 4-AW, SW, LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

My wife was working an estate sale for a friend about 5-6 years ago.  I was thinking about getting into golf but did not want to spend crazy amounts of money because the golf swing frightened me... and still does.  She texts me and says there is a set of Titleist irons there for like $75.  Back then, I knew nothing about technology, forgiveness, weighting, MOI, etc.  They were the old Titleist Acushnet irons, not sure of year.  A buddy of mine said, "Dude, you will kill yourself trying to learn with those."  Man, they sucked.

DRIVER:  :taylormade-small: AeroBurner 12.5*

IRONS:  :wilson_staff_small: D9 (5-GW)

PUTTER:  :odyssey-small: Dual Force 550

Doing the self-fit buy and try for years. So much wasted money... But I did get to try a lot of clubs!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Ping I20 driver…hit it indoors very well (long and straight), got it on the course and was all over the place.  Would either hit a duck hook or a giant slice.  

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

High bounce wedges, did not work and short game went to crap.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

As a couple others have said, basically anything bought off the rack.  As far as specific clubs, the TM Spider putter - I know its a popular model but I hated everything about it from Day One.  

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

23 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Doing the self-fit buy and try for years. So much wasted money... But I did get to try a lot of clubs!

I agree, I haven’t been fitted yet (hopefully will this year! 🤞) and I should have for my driver. But I didn’t want to wait for the fitting and thought, I’ll just test a few clubs myself… I do like my driver, but I think it could have been better fit…

Titleist Irons, Wedges, Balls, Scott putter, Taylormade Driver and 3 Wood

So far the 2.0  Edison wedges have been my greatest disappointment. They are great looking clubs, swing magnificently as well as easily… our relationship is just not evolving. May have to tell them that; “ It’s me, it is not you “ and end the relationship before to much more pain is encountered. 
   The keeper of my heart and life would say that I am her worst purchase so far. To that I would reply; “ What did you expect to get from shopping at Goodwill “ 

Edited by Dead Solid Bogey

Getting rid of my X-20 Tours with Project X 6.0 shafts for a set of Radspeed irons with reg flex shafts that I earned through the company wellness program. The reg flex just don’t feel right to me and now I’m on the hunt for shafts or new to me slightly used irons. Eyeing some Mizuno JPX 919 and 921’s currently. 

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

Best worst purchase,  5 bucks for a burner 2.0 pitching wedge with a graphite shaft. (Goodwill) Super clean face, good grooves, very light in my hands and just keep popping it up like a sand wedge.  Hmmm, maybe I should try it for that? 😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I would say buying the epoxy from The Golf Works. I mixed per their specification and made a few clubs and repaired a few as well. Almost all but 2 clubs had heads FLY off! I have since moved onto JB Weld epoxy for any and all club repairs. Zero issues and it costs less per oz than the golf works epoxy. 

image.png.f4128bb4a367114d41f169c911219801.png

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Where do I start?

Back in the day loved my Great Big Bertha driver, decided I needed a 3 wood to go with it.  Hit is as far left as I did straight.

Back when the FT-9 tour came out there was a big deal where you could get the Fubuki (non made for shaft in it) I ordered one and couldn't wait to get it.   Lets just say that driver didn't last long.

Ordered Areotech Steelfiber shafts for my irons without ever hitting one of them.  Replaced all the shafts and played maybe 3 rounds with them before going back to my KBS shafts.

Also a victim of hybrids, never found one that I liked.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

10 hours ago, Wib081 said:

Getting rid of my X-20 Tours with Project X 6.0 shafts for a set of Radspeed irons with reg flex shafts that I earned through the company wellness program. The reg flex just don’t feel right to me and now I’m on the hunt for shafts or new to me slightly used irons. Eyeing some Mizuno JPX 919 and 921’s currently. 

Been there and have tee shirt 🫵

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright /9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 & 9 woods   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I bought a Taylormade Stealth 2 plus 3 hybrid only to hate it and go back to my trusty 7 wood ….. dumb dumb dumb!!!

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright /9.75*

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

2 hours ago, poprocksncoke said:

Where do I start?

Back in the day loved my Great Big Bertha driver, decided I needed a 3 wood to go with it.  Hit is as far left as I did straight.

Back when the FT-9 tour came out there was a big deal where you could get the Fubuki (non made for shaft in it) I ordered one and couldn't wait to get it.   Lets just say that driver didn't last long.

Ordered Areotech Steelfiber shafts for my irons without ever hitting one of them.  Replaced all the shafts and played maybe 3 rounds with them before going back to my KBS shafts.

Also a victim of hybrids, never found one that I liked.

In total agreement on the hybrids !!!🤬

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

2 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

In total agreement on the hybrids !!!🤬

Same here on the hybrids, had one and could never get along with it…

But I know plenty of others who absolutely love them, they’re just not for me!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Same here on the hybrids, had one and could never get along with it…

But I know plenty of others who absolutely love them, they’re just not for me!

Love my 4, 7 & 9 woods 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Also the online selector or fitter only works if you’re honest. Doesn’t work when you answer the questions about the swing and game you wish you had. I have learned that the hard way!

Play like a champion today!

A list of wedges too long to list.  Mizuno, Scratch, Taylormade, etc., etc.  Having better luck with the CBX wedges which seem to be about as idiot proof (me being the idiot) as I've been able to find.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

9 hours ago, Bobbers said:

A list of wedges too long to list.  Mizuno, Scratch, Taylormade, etc., etc.  Having better luck with the CBX wedges which seem to be about as idiot proof (me being the idiot) as I've been able to find.

I’m laughing with you not at you !

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Going into pretty much every golf store in a 50 mile radius and finding no left handed clubs has led to a LOT of eBay guesses...and misses! None of these are bad clubs; they were just bad for me. 

SLDR driver - rocketship out of the center; not so much anywhere else...FORE LEFT! 
Srixon ZX5 3H with a Hazrdus Black shaft - good club but shaft felt like a scaffold pole; what was I thinking? 
TM SIM DHY - Couldn't even hit my 5 iron, but thought a 3 iron DHY would be peachy for me. No. Just...NO. 
Cobra RadSpeed OneLength hybrid - so bad for me that I bought it TWICE. Couldn't get the thing more than 10 feet off the ground. 

Basically, a lot of clubs in the space that is now filled quite happily by my 5 & 7 wood, who are both wondering what all the fuss was about 🤣

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm going to be 55 this summer and had a torn labrum fixed in January. Do graphite shafts really make a big difference? I'm at the point that I need my body more than I need to beat myself up playing golf.

Greg S.